Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fork seals and MOT

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:15 - 08 Aug 2019    Post subject: Fork seals and MOT Reply with quote

I snapped up a nice example of a Honda CB250 Nighthawk the other day for a nice price. It had been on SORN for a number of years. One or two niggles came up - a stuck brake switch now freed off, dead battery, now sorted.

There is a very slight seepage on one of the fork seals if you pump the front end. Just a small smear of oil after thirty full pumps on the front end. One mate of mine - a retired bike mechanic said it might well fix itself as the seal gets warmed up by use. Another said he thought the MOT tester would take no notice of such a little smear on the stanchion from the seal. It makes just perceptible ring at the extent of the maximum compression of the fork.

What do you reckon? Should I put it in for the test or send off for a set of seals and dust shields and do the job before I put the bike in for the test? It would really piss me off if it failed and I wasted thirty notes by chancing my arm. Tight? Yes.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 08 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Close-up of the fork stanchion/oily ring?

You'll always have some oil on the metal surface, but it shouldn't leak out. If you clean it up, and then pump your 30 pumps, what does it look like? It could be just a bit of an accumulation under the dust seal. If it's just a perceptible ring & no leaky leaks, I would not worry about it. Check the fluid level, just in case, I think it's often worth changing these normally-neglected components.

IF the stanchion isn't visibly pitted, I'd get it MOT'd. Perhaps, if there's any question, wipe it off "just aroud the corner", but it's hard to know.

If the stanchion is pitted, ofc, you might have to think about replacing it.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:38 - 08 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd pry up the dust seal, pack under it with a sausage of rolled up J-cloth then jam it back down again just before you set off for the MOT...

That trick is as old as fork seals.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 08 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

With every bike shop I've ever used you can ask them in advance whether they'd MOT-fail a particular issue and get an honest answer. Ask 'em. I get the idea that it might be leaking slightly due to a lack of use and they might "heal" with use, but still I'd expect to have to renew the seals soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:58 - 08 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the answers. I have already done stinkwheels trick, but I used kitchen roll swirled up into a sort of paper rope and packed in. This lessened the leakage. I will certainly wipe off any ring as I arrive at the place. They are pretty decent there actually, when I took the CG, the guy failed and re-passed it instantly on headlight aim. He adjusted it for me. They also passed my street twin but it was pretty much brand new with only 6500 miles at that time. There was nowt wrong with it.

Of course it is also right that I should expect to do the job properly.
I already have two bikes, but this came up for £650 ----- a 12000 genuine miles 1997 Nighthawk. Engine is fantastically smooth and works great. I'm more than pleased with the deal I got. Take a look at the photo I took tonight. Can't wait to start using it. I'll drop it off for MOT on Monday if I can be satisfied about the scale of the seepage being acceptable. Wemoto have the seals for £16 made by slinkyglide... Should be ok I hope.

Riejufixing: You ask what the leak looks like. After a two mile ride on a smooth farm track there was a thin ring about as thick as a pubic hair on he affected stanchion at the highest point the stanchion had been forced into the lower leg. The fork has a couple of tiny pits - really small not like I've seen elsewhere. I might try and post a photo of the leg close up tomorrow.

Cheers

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:10 - 08 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I'd pry up the dust seal, pack under it with a sausage of rolled up J-cloth then jam it back down again just before you set off for the MOT...

That trick is as old as fork seals.

Yeah - I have to drive it about 16 miles to the test centre, so I'll stop a few hundred yards from the place and pry up the seal and replace the bit of kitchen roll I already have in there. I'm also hoping there's a good chance the seal might heal a bit with use.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 08 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

BusterGonads wrote:

..there was a thin ring about as thick as a pubic hair

That thick eh?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:10 - 08 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
With every bike shop I've ever used you can ask them in advance whether they'd MOT-fail a particular issue and get an honest answer. Ask 'em. I get the idea that it might be leaking slightly due to a lack of use and they might "heal" with use, but still I'd expect to have to renew the seals soon.

Trouble with that is, not every MOT tester has the same opinion and there are certain parts of the test where they are allowed a little latitude - some take it, some don't.

My view is, a little dirt ring is acceptable, if there is actual moisture on the stanchion or dust seal, it fails, because the next stage is it blows and starts dripping oil down the leg and onto the brake/tyre.

However, I do agree they might sort themselves out with use and you could use Stink's cheat, just don't try the other option and drain the forks to stop them leaking - some moron tried that on me when I failed him for leaking seals (it was running down the legs) then got mightily pissed when I failed the retest because his front end was bouncing like a pogo stick Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:17 - 08 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Trouble with that is, not every MOT tester has the same opinion and there are certain parts of the test where they are allowed a little latitude - some take it, some don't.

My view is, a little dirt ring is acceptable, if there is actual moisture on the stanchion or dust seal, it fails, because the next stage is it blows and starts dripping oil down the leg and onto the brake/tyre.

However, I do agree they might sort themselves out with use and you could use Stink's cheat, just don't try the other option and drain the forks to stop them leaking - some moron tried that on me when I failed him for leaking seals (it was running down the legs) then got mightily pissed when I failed the retest because his front end was bouncing like a pogo stick Rolling Eyes

Excellent thanks. Maybe I should just get the seals and do the bloody job. It's no big deal. Thanks for that helpful post.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 08 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

BusterGonads wrote:
Shaft wrote:

Excellent thanks. Maybe I should just get the seals and do the bloody job. It's no big deal. Thanks for that helpful post.

If you're up to the task, for the sake of 16 quid it's not really worth messing about.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 08 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

How many testers are there at your average local bike shop? You pitch up, say you'd like to book a test but is this bit likely to pass, or will it need fixing? Him and his mate will take the same view.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:09 - 09 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Shaft wrote:

How many testers are there at your average local bike shop? You pitch up, say you'd like to book a test but is this bit likely to pass, or will it need fixing? Him and his mate will take the same view.

I was just pointing out to the OP that not every tester has the same view and not every tester gets out of bed on the same side every day.

Some parts of the test are cut and dried, pass or fail, no question - this is one of those parts where there is some leeway, which means it could be down to how the tester is feeling that day.

It could also depend on whether the shop do repairs or not, there's nothing like self generating work, but then again, they might not feel like doing yet another set of fork seals this week Wink

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:27 - 10 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

I was just pointing out to the OP that not every tester has the same view and not every tester gets out of bed on the same side every day.

Some parts of the test are cut and dried, pass or fail, no question - this is one of those parts where there is some leeway, which means it could be down to how the tester is feeling that day.

Surprisingly the leak has improved to the faintest line at the tide mark you get at the point where the lower part goes up to its max on the stanchion.

I've googled the issue and a lot of people praise seal cleaning gadgets which consist of a thin plastic film that slides into the seal and pulls out bits of dust that are often trapped. There are a couple of types for sale at daft prices for a bit of plastic, one is called 'seal mate'. Anyway - I've made one myself out of a bit cut off a plastic exercise book cover/ I suppose it might be about 8 or 10 thou thick and I've trimmed it into a hook shape so I can replicate the one on sale.

I won't be where the bike is until tomorrow so I'll try it then. If no joy, then it's no great task to order some and fit them.

https://www.r3owners.net/data/attachment-files/2017/05/55701_65a5dadc12d8c15f444d0f78bde02ced.jpg

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:36 - 10 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oog. Cough mumble furtherseallip damage mumblecough.

Yes, I've heard of these things, but I'm not at all keen on them.

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 10 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my seals started leaking about 2 years ago and one of those jobbies hoiked out some crud and has been fine since. Am fan.

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:51 - 10 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Oog. Cough mumble furtherseallip damage mumblecough.

Yes, I've heard of these things, but I'm not at all keen on them.

I know where you are coming from, but the reviews on them are one after another expressing surprise and amazement at the results. Some people say they've been using feeler gauges and playing cards for donkeys years to do the same job....

I'll try my version and report back.

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:19 - 10 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd tell people to copy the design and cut it from a large lemonade type bottle for the same effect.

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:45 - 10 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:
I'd tell people to copy the design and cut it from a large lemonade type bottle for the same effect.

Yes - I made mine out of a plastic exercise book cover. It's just flexible plastic about 10 thou thick - maybe 8 thou. Took three minutes to cut it out and smooth it out with my cut throat razor stones.

Looking forward to trying it tomorrow. I'm not at home just now.

This is the bike. 11990 miles, 22 years old and runs like a Swiss watch. Best part is, I paid £650 .....

https://photos.smugmug.com/My-First-Gallery/i-VwC2rmQ/0/d0dd2860/XL/Nighthawk%20at%20Cassies%20-%20Edited%20%281%29-XL.jpg

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 10 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have changed a few fork seals. Even with oe seals and good stanchions they often weep. While the sealmate tool works at cleaning, it is not enough.

Apply grease under the dust seal. The dust seal will retain it The grease will lubricate, and increase friction enough to allow the oil seal to seal properly.

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:28 - 10 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
I have changed a few fork seals. Even with oe seals and good stanchions they often weep. While the sealmate tool works at cleaning, it is not enough.

Apply grease under the dust seal. The dust seal will retain it The grease will lubricate, and increase friction enough to allow the oil seal to seal properly.

Thanks for the advice. Ordinary LM grease?

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:36 - 10 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike has fork gaiters which are fixed in place, I'm told the MOT chap isn't allowed to take them off which seems a surprise.

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:41 - 10 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnnythefox wrote:
My bike has fork gaiters which are fixed in place, I'm told the MOT chap isn't allowed to take them off which seems a surprise.

I think that's right.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 10 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local bike mot centre is wise to such tricks, they check the back of the fork leg. Worth wiping it off there, run a cloth all over the fork leg and wipe off any residue.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:28 - 10 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

BusterGonads wrote:
Thanks for the advice. Ordinary LM grease?

Yes.

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:56 - 12 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passed MOT.

No advisories.

What joy!

Purchase cost £650

Insurance cost £56

Battery cost £25

MOT cost £29

Bike tax £44

Comes out about £800.

Might need a new back tyre. It's a bit skippy on a poor road surface. The Triumph was the same until I changed the rubber. It's definitely the back that is skipping and that tyre is the most worn.

12000 miles, unmolested, engine and bike sweet as a nut. Twenty-two years old, mostly in the garage. What's not to like if you want a cheap runabout?

https://photos.smugmug.com/My-First-Gallery/i-VwC2rmQ/0/d0dd2860/XL/Nighthawk%20at%20Cassies%20-%20Edited%20%281%29-XL.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 255 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2