Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yamaha SR 125 not starting.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Joshua18
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:16 - 10 Aug 2019    Post subject: Yamaha SR 125 not starting. Reply with quote

I recently got given a Yamaha SR-125 from a family friend to work on since it has just been sitting in his garage for several years. We knew the bike is going to need a lot of work. We bought a new battery, changed out the fuel and switched the spark plug. The bike is turning over but not starting.

The following is the video of me trying to start the bike.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:47 - 10 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basic checks:

Have you got spark? (i.e. take the plug out and look!)

Have you got compression? (compression tester or at the very least thumb over the spark plug hole)

Have you got fuel? (Does the spark plug smell of petrol)

Joshua18
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:06 - 11 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything checks out apart from the spark plug smelling of fuel. The fuel is coming out of the tank but im not sure if it is going into the engine.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:01 - 11 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be the old fuel has clogged up the carb, worth a go cleaning that up.

Joshua18
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:13 - 15 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cleaned out the carb and got it running with a push start. The bike hasn't been run in 18 years so im not sure if i got to keep push starting it but it starts but then dies after almost immediately after.

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:33 - 15 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a spray of damp start into the air cleaner or air box opening and if it starts and runs on the starter for a moment or two, you know you have a problem in the carb.

It is possible that you have a spark issue, but since it does run and then dies, my betting is on a blocked jet or sticking needle valve.

The fact that it has stood unused for so long would tend to create gum in the carburettor. It should be easily sorted out and I bet you'll have a nearly new motorbike. Good luck.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:37 - 15 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy start, not Damp start

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 15:40 - 15 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO NOT use easy-start/damo-start... stuff is basically ethanol. and it washes the oil off thhr bore so the bore wears out toot-sweet, and the engines become dependent on the stuff as they lose compression.

starterr sounds lazy in vid ; - get the plugf out put a teaspoon of TWO-SROKE oilm or chip fat veggie oil down the plug hole.. leave the plug out, go heck/charge the battery, and whiolst that tops, work the mnotor over on tyhe kicker or a bump NOT trying to start itm just work the opilo into the bo9re where EZ-start has washed it away.

Tjen cleam the guel petcock filter, make sure petrol fresh and petrol tyanbk clean... nd with full chafge in the battery try again... briefly DO NOT run the starter for preolonged periods and wear out the brushes and bearings... if still no go.. sartar ther, recom the starter and solenoid anmd get the motor spining up to full speed on the button... remember NO Etrher and a little vegie oil or 2t down the bore rto luybe rings and stop that wering out and gettinmg te compression up a bit.... 2T nd vbegie WILL burn off when engine fires properly, so be prepared to change the plug when you done, and cleanm the one you got a few rimes whilst farting about.... bey9oind that get the workshjop manual and do #ALL the basic service stuf, itr' oft gets neglected por donme badly, so do it, do it right and be sure the motor s trip-top a it should be before you go looking for problemns like knackered bore or furred up piston rungs that are pronbbabloyt on the cards begg9nb a top emnd rebuilpd now 0or pretrty soon anyway.... your call if you cut t9 the chase and do that now as a precautionary or hope for the best abnd likely do it in a thousand miles or so after lots of effiung....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:42 - 15 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gagged
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 249 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1