Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Royal Enfield Himalayan

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

om15
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:55 - 06 Jun 2019    Post subject: Royal Enfield Himalayan Reply with quote

Anybody have first hand experience of the RE Himalayan, it looks a really odd looking bike, but I looked at one today and it doesn't seem too tatty, build quality appears to be ok.
I am looking for a second bike for Sunday mornings, it does tick the boxes for what I want, I have previously owned a RE Classic with no complaints.
Maintenance costs seems a bit high, valve check clearances every 3K, but that looks easy enough, plus after the warrenty I will do it myself.
Current ride is a Tracer which I think is a great bike, but just need a little run around, any comments appreciated.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:07 - 06 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan Reply with quote

om15 wrote:
Anybody have first hand experience of the RE Himalayan, it looks a really odd looking bike, but I looked at one today and it doesn't seem too tatty, build quality appears to be ok.
I am looking for a second bike for Sunday mornings, it does tick the boxes for what I want, I have previously owned a RE Classic with no complaints.
Maintenance costs seems a bit high, valve check clearances every 3K, but that looks easy enough, plus after the warrenty I will do it myself.
Current ride is a Tracer which I think is a great bike, but just need a little run around, any comments appreciated.

Someone I know has one. It does look poorly built and it's dog slow. I wouldn't choose one unless I was going on a genuine tour across India. It seems to have a little bit of genuine off road ability, and the ability to be fixed by any average indian with a hammer.

Not for me personally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:47 - 06 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like the Land Rover of bikes: it'll get you there... eventually but you'd look a tit with one in town.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 06 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
It seems to have a little bit of genuine off road ability

Frame was designed by Harris Performance apparently.

If it had double the power and weighed 20kg less, would probably buy one.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 06 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs K test rode one, would have one as a second/green laning bike. Accessories make it look like a fun tourer if you're not worried about time. Wasn't vibey like a w800 she'd really fancied, just not enough oomph to be an only bike for everyday use. Price makes it interesting when good 2nd hand green laners are getting pricey.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:15 - 07 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a loan one when my Interceptor went in for a service, surprisingly comfortable, and nippy, fine for A roads as well, and perhaps shortish stints on the motorway. I found it more fun to ride than I was expecting. Try and get a test ride, should be easy enough to arrange

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:13 - 07 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on your outlook. For most people it's probably underpowered but I enjoy riding lower powered bikes and it'll be quicker than the cg125 I recently rode to Applecross and enjoyed. I'm actually considering a test ride on one as I think it would be fun to own as a low cost travel/camping bike. I'm not sure I would have one as an only bike though, just like my 125. Early models had plenty of issues, mostly solved on later bikes.

Chris Scott has been using one around the Sahara and seems to have a high opinion of it and prefers it to the g310, crf250, etc.

Nathan Millward has also been singing it's praises after he bought one

Itchyboots on Instagram is using one for RTW. She's had s few issues but nothing too drastic other than a clutch failure.

Really you'll have to just ride one and see if it will work for you as I suspect you'll get a lot of derisory comments from others who've not ridden one and for whom it wouldn't work, it's just that kind of bike.

om15
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:38 - 07 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments, I will take a test ride and make my mind up, previous second bikes have been old BSAs, 1982 XT500 and RE Classic, I like quirky bikes and this has the advantage of electric start.
Will let you know, many thanks

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:01 - 07 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you could live with a pre-unit bullet, you'll live with this.

I've not ridden one but looking at them back-to-back, the finish on the Himalayan is an order of magnitude better than the old bullets.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:36 - 07 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
Nathan Millward has also been singing it's praises after he bought one

Aye, he wrote a 16,000 mile review :-

https://www.gettingintoadventure.com/royal-enfield-himalayan-16000-miles-in/

Not ridden one myself, but the blokes in the local Enfield group like theirs.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Confusion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:05 - 07 Jun 2019    Post subject: Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan Reply with quote

om15 wrote:
Anybody have first hand experience of the RE Himalayan,

My mate has one. 12,000km (7,500 miles) over the last year.
So far so good.....

Quote:

The LE is slow, quirky and probably not as reliable as your Yamaha.
If you can live with those limitations, it should be fine as a runaround.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:49 - 08 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/187991-welding-defect-royal-enfield-himalayan-frame-cracks.html

https://www.drivespark.com/two-wheelers/2017/royal-enfield-himalayan-mechanical-issues-continues/articlecontent-pf71995-022347.html

I would be weary of getting the earlier production lemons. I would wait until their prices bottom out second hand really, we are paying a marked up price for them here by quite a bit.

om15
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:43 - 11 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a deposit on the Himalayan this morning, collecting on 1st July, will advise what I find in due course.
Looking forward to riding it, live in rural north Dorset so plenty of B roads to go on.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 11 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good Thumbs Up

om15
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:35 - 06 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collected the bike earlier in the week, now gently running in, have to take it easy for the first 300 miles, then it goes in for a service.
First impressions are good, the handover from the dealer was interesting, beware of the brakes, the compass didn't work but I was told it might work when the fuel tank was empty!
Build quality is good, has a trip meter and a fuel quantity indicator, standard controls, all switches seem robust and well made and everything is pretty solid and substantial.
It is lighter to ride than the 500 Bullet, still has a nice thump from the single, taking it easy for the moment, but it does like hills and seems to have good power low down, cruses at 55 mph at 3,500 rpm in top.
The engine sounds very rattley at low rpm, not sure if that will improve or not.
Riding position is pretty good, comfortable and low seat height, ( I'm 5 ft 7 and can put my feet down ok).
It is still a Royal Enfield and doesn't like doing anything in a hurry, gearbox is great, no false neutrals, and selects first time. It has a choke (!) but doesn't seem to need it, fires up on the switch first time.
All in all very pleased, once I have gently run it in I will be more adventurous with it, have a feeling that I will enjoy riding this bike.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:21 - 06 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

om15 wrote:
Collected the bike earlier in the week, now gently running in, have to take it easy for the first 300 miles, then it goes in for a service.

Personally, I'd have just ridden it, its a Royal Enfield, its not anything performance based and I highly doubt it'll matter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:47 - 06 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Personally, I'd have just ridden it, its a Royal Enfield, its not anything performance based and I highly doubt it'll matter.

Does it matter, taking it steady for 300 miles, really won't take long to ride that, 1 day, perhaps 2 days max?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:52 - 06 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

LCD clocks just do not look right on a Royal Enfield and next time try not to photograph the refection please Thumbs Up

Other than that, Meh. I like RE's. I like the new 650 with the Red and Black colour scheme that Linux has. I like the singles because they still look like old British M/C's.

That looks bland and a bit of a hodge podge of styles but will be interesting to see how it progresses.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:17 - 06 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has a "choke" wtf? It's EFI!

Hmmm....

Owner's Manual wrote:
MANUAL BI STARTER (CHOKE)
Depress and hold to stablise idling RPM in cold condition / first time starting in cold mornings.

Some sort of manual override of the ECU? And when they say "cold" they probably mean Tibetan cold rather than just engine cold start Smile

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:23 - 06 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Does it matter, taking it steady for 300 miles, really won't take long to ride that, 1 day, perhaps 2 days max?

I did 450 miles last year... Laughing I'd have just wanged it after about 5 miles, full bore.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:37 - 06 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:

Hmmm....

Owner's Manual wrote:
MANUAL BI STARTER (CHOKE)
Depress and hold to stablise idling RPM in cold condition / first time starting in cold mornings.

Some sort of manual override of the ECU? And when they say "cold" they probably mean Tibetan cold rather than just engine cold start Smile

I presume it's like my gen 1 Hayabusa. It was actually a speed increaser that raised the idle, not a choke as in a carbed bike enriching the mixture.

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:46 - 07 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:

My 13year old Ducati has fuel injection and an adjustable choke lever !

Anyway, I quite like the look of these, in a world full of lots of bits of plastic nailed to 'adventure bikes' that'll probably right a barely used bike off the first time it gets dropped, its simplicity appeals.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:29 - 07 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFI with choke...

One has to ask: why have a dog and bark yourself!

om15
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:46 - 09 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the choke is more of a "high idle", the 500 classic had the same system.
The pack that came with the bike contained a paint aerosol "so that when you fall off and scratch it you can paint over it".
It is a comfortable bike to ride and is easy to ride, ideal if you don't want to get anywhere quickly.

I watched someone on you tube trying to get one flat out, he managed to just touch 80mph, the engine sounded like it was going to explode, I think that it might be difficult to steer at that speed, it certainly won't be able to stop in a reasonable distance.

If you live in the country and want a second bike I recommend this, it is great fun.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:43 - 09 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

om15 wrote:
I think the choke is more of a "high idle", the 500 classic had the same system.
The pack that came with the bike contained a paint aerosol "so that when you fall off and scratch it you can paint over it".
It is a comfortable bike to ride and is easy to ride, ideal if you don't want to get anywhere quickly.

I watched someone on you tube trying to get one flat out, he managed to just touch 80mph, the engine sounded like it was going to explode, I think that it might be difficult to steer at that speed, it certainly won't be able to stop in a reasonable distance.

If you live in the country and want a second bike I recommend this, it is great fun.

TBH the more I've seen of 'em the more I quite like the look of the bike but having spent the last 6 months struggling to get to 60mph on my 125 it doesn't sound like much of a step up!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 264 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2