Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 16 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question, if not a little naïve. 😁👍

I for example work mainly with rdbms.

So any and all systems in normal business use rely on data, this data is stored in a database.

This database needs setting up / maintaining. That's a big part.

Following the above - people need to know what's been going on. So reporting becomes important.

Then you have all sorts of options available that lead to different training paths. (SSRS / PowerBI / tableau / qlikview )

Each of those on their own is a lot of training and learning how to apply them in the real world.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:34 - 17 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a software engineer for 3 years and have just spent the last 8 months training some new guys who have been through a coding camp on a kind of university course. They got sent off for a 4 week (or something) course and came back with very little knowledge that was useable.

Software development requires a lot of time and practice. even after 3 years doing my degree I knew jack shit compared to people in the industry.

If he really cares about learning programming then he should grab a book and start right now.There are plenty of free resources to do it and if anyone goes into this proffession then they should have a passion for it and have the drive to learn it themselves. Then if he actually likes it then get him to go to university and get a degree in Comptuer science or software eng. That will set him up nicely to walk into a job afterwards.

As for 40k, maybe after 5 years or so with a degree, but your not just going to walk into a job like that after a bootcamp. My first job was 20k and before that I got offered only 18k for another programming job.

If he's at all interested in moving to south wales for a job then PM me and I'll send you a link to the degree scheme my company runs. Pretty much pay you to be at the company for 3 years while you study for a degree and you dont need experience. doesnt get much better than that.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:56 - 17 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
What is it that you programming people do exactly, as in what do you program?

There are a few different areas.

My experience has all been in what I would call 'general purpose' software engineering. By that, I mean I've made stuff that users can use, in the everyday sense that a person on the street might think of. Phone apps, software, websites etc, and all the wider aspects that are needed to make such things work.

My brother's place of work is full of programmers whose job is to make production lines and industrial processes function. I have absolutely no idea about that side of things.

I believe a member of this forum played a part in the actual creation of a programming language. I think the language was Delphi. I have absolutely no idea about this side of things either.

Another guy I know worked on writing the algorithms for self-driving cars. That's another area of programming I don't know much about.

It's all lumped under the rather huge category of 'programming', though. Most of the core concepts apply in all areas, regardless of whether you're making software, websites, programming productions lines or whatever else.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:18 - 17 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make "glue" Smile

Actually it's the services that make two disparate systems communicate with each other. Mostly interfacing EPOS systems to other stuff.

So far I've written a few giftcard/loyalty integrations. A few that talk to hotel management systems but the biggest so far is a tight EPOS to Ingenico payment terminal integration. And news this week is my Amadeus interface is getting global release, which is nice. A little part of me will live on in hotels across the world Smile

The EPOS side is all old enterprise Java but I can write everything else in whatever I like which is usually C# and all the related .NET technologies (ASP.NET, .NET Core, etc.) I also end up dabbling in SQL stuff, Javascript, Angular and practically every network related protocol you can thing of from basic TCP & UDP, Websockets, REST, Signal R, etc.

My pet project is web interface for EPOS. Basically turning any phone or tablet into an order pad. This has been done a gazillion times before... but mostly badly. I'm doing that with server-side Blazor which means there isn't the usual Javascript code someone else can hoover up and rip off.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 17 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
What is it that you programming people do exactly, as in what do you program?

Is there anything else you can do with computer programming or IT qualifications and certification? Oh and out of curiosity is the 40k an average typical salary in this sector?

I think a majority of job now tend to be in making websites and the behind the scenes systems to run those. I work for one of the large insurance comparison sites, but before that I was making a website for data entry on food production factories. The amazing thing about the software industry is programming is the same no matter what the business does, so you can just move around different sectors as you wish.

I would say 40k is an average salary, but it's easy to go higher than that. Where I work a senior developer could easily be on 50-55k and if your really good or specialize in something then you can go much higher.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:41 - 18 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I'm doing that with server-side Blazor which means there isn't the usual Javascript code someone else can hoover up and rip off.

Is Blazor ready for production level stuff?

I rewrote my portfolio website in Blazor just for a laugh. It was fun, and way quicker to get from start to finish, but it's clunky, large (20mb on first load!) and lacks certain aspects of functionality that bog standard Javascripty things can do.

That was client-side version though.

I'm sticking with React for fast SPA webby stuff for now. Definitely very keen to see Blazor gain traction anyway.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 18 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Referring back to the original post, IMO programming is something you need to have a passion for, it's not something you should embark on as a career because you can't think of anything better to do. And forget picking up anything beyond the bare basics in a 'boot camp' whatever that is. Coding is a life long learning experience, it's long hours, bloody frustrating at times and seriously draining mentally at the best of times. Personally after thirty five years I still love it, but that's the only reason I stick at it, certainly not for the money.

As for salary, well working in the City of London, and I do mean the square mile, not just inside the M25, he might just about land thirty grand a year, which is shit money for an uber expensive place like London.

Here's a good place to get a rough idea of salaries, though the high ends of he estimates are I suspect restricted to the merchant banking sort of businesses.
https://stackoverflow.com/jobs/salary
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:56 - 18 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Is Blazor ready for production level stuff?

This side project is way off and not anything that's been officially commissioned so I've gone full retard and loaded up VS2019/.NET Core 3.0 Preview. Blazor running on that is pretty feature complete and I've not had to interop any Javascript hacks yet Smile

IIRC Blazor was initially compiled to JS? Not sure... anyhoo, now the client-side uses WebAssembly which would make for a slow first page as the browser does the equivalent of downloading .NET Framework to run the code Sad However, this scales well as everything runs in the browser and you'll just have some minimal dataflow to the backend.

Server-side... well obviously you're only burning your own electricity. The client is effectively something like VNC over SignalR. Much better performance if you have no idea of what the capabilities of the client will be (my target: phones and tablets) but doesn't scale so well. Would suit a small number of clients on a LAN rather than high-latency WANs and/or large number of clients.

Bonus with server-side: all the debugging is in VS! And no care what browser they have: it either works or it doesn't and it'll look pretty consistent on almost anything. And as mentioned before: no one peeking at your JS and stealing all your ideas Wink

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:44 - 19 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Blazor...

To avoid the continuation of this thread hijack, I've moved my reply over to here, in my old 'Programmers on BCF' thread: https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=4655334#4655334

Andy_Pagin wrote:
Referring back to the original post, IMO programming is something you need to have a passion for, it's not something you should embark on as a career because you can't think of anything better to do.

Agreed.

A lad I know decided to learn programming. He's the sporty competitive type. I think what he was really doing was trying to prove to himself that programming is easy and he could do it too if he tried. In about a week he stopped learning and stopped talking to me about programming. It's not that he's utterly incapable of doing it, but he just isn't the type to ever enjoy sitting in front of a computer typing abstract machine instructions for work or pleasure.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:57 - 19 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always consider an interest in Chess (or any similar logical game) a good marker for "potential programmer" - you have a limited number of moves and you have to look ahead for potential problems.

It's less "coding" and more "imagine the future!" *

*WARNING! No geeks ever got laid using that line.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 19 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

Andy_Pagin wrote:
Referring back to the original post, IMO programming is something you need to have a passion for, it's not something you should embark on as a career because you can't think of anything better to do.

Agreed.

A lad I know decided to learn programming. He's the sporty competitive type. I think what he was really doing was trying to prove to himself that programming is easy and he could do it too if he tried. In about a week he stopped learning and stopped talking to me about programming. It's not that he's utterly incapable of doing it, but he just isn't the type to ever enjoy sitting in front of a computer typing abstract machine instructions for work or pleasure.

Totally agree - When I was young and eager I got hold of a (real IBM) PC-AT and a C compiler from somewhere, also a 'Learning to program in C book' I also sat down for about a week going through some exercises, but without an end goal or point to the task my enthusiasm quickly diminished and I shelved the project. Very occasionally work demands that I create a few lines of code to perform some data conversion or file IO operations, I can just about manage that in Python. I never loved programming and didn't feel I had an aptitude either so I believe it is much better left to those that do.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 19 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I always consider an interest in Chess (or any similar logical game) a good marker for "potential programmer" - you have a limited number of moves and you have to look ahead for potential problems.

Historically, the best indicator for programming prowess has been a good qualification in English.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:35 - 19 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Historically, the best indicator for programming prowess has been a good qualification in English.

Really? I would have thought Mathematics Thinking

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:42 - 20 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

Really? I would have thought Mathematics Thinking

From what I understand, most commentary I've seen seems to agree that there isn't much more required than a propensity for logical/abstract thinking, which is certainly demonstrated via mathematical education but it doesn't make maths a prerequisite.

Certainly I've never had to use any of the mathematics from my degree when programming. Apart from the physics sims I made, but the reasons for that should be obvious Very Happy

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:35 - 20 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a solid understanding of maths is required if you want to study computer science or cryptography.

But I haven't come across a situation where i had to do more than basic arithmetic in my day to day job.

I imagine if you worked in the financial sector or maybe the betting industry that might be different though.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:09 - 20 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not need maths in the sense of arithmetic, but you will need mathematical ideas. Stuff I learned in College in the 'Methods' module has come in handy. Matrices, search types binary etc., travelling salesman stuff. Just general logic.

Codemonkey
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:08 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
TBH knowing C is much like learning Latin. No one speaks/uses it any more but it makes a good base to learn other languages Smile Java and C# is where the money's at these days.

This is complete rubbish. C is very much alive, especially in the embedded world. Also, that there Linux thing you may have heard of that's probably serving this page to you (and running your phone if you're not an Apple fanboy), the OS Kernel is written in it.

FWIW, I'm an embedded C programmer (I also do C++, Go, Javascript, db, html etc and also electronics hardware design), and I do make >£40K per year, but the chances of someone doing a short course having previously had no interest in programming, then outdoing the nerdy kid who's been doing it since he was 10 (cos that's who he'll be up against) in an interview to land a job paying anything over minimum wage are close to nil.

If he wants to learn to write code, the only way he'll learn is by doing it. As mentioned before, Python is popular at the moment, it's free and there's loads of resources online without spending anything, but if it were me interviewing, the fact he's not shown any interest in it from a much earlier age (done it as a hobby previously), would rule him out.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:31 - 03 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... quick job search. Almost 3000 C# jobs and about 3 dozen for embedded stuff. Okay Wink

Codemonkey
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:18 - 22 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Hmm... quick job search. Almost 3000 C# jobs and about 3 dozen for embedded stuff. Okay Wink

https://www.indeed.co.uk/m/jobs?sameL=1&q=embedded+software+engineer+c&l=&from=searchOnSerp

1200+ jobs, you also fail at google!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 211 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2