Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

GSXR 750 Engine cuts out and wont restart - CHEC message

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

gixxerguy46
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:25 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: GSXR 750 Engine cuts out and wont restart - CHEC message Reply with quote

Hi all, I have asked this question on GSXR.com and they have been very helpful. Was just wondering if anyone else has personally had this problem?

The post can be found below;

https://www.gsxr.com/13-tech-performance-chat/241849-engine-cuts-out-when-riding-wont-restart-displays-chec.html

Hi everyone,

I am having an extremely frustrating problem with my 2000 GSX-R 750 where it will cut out while riding and not restart. Will crank, but not fire whilst displaying 'CHEC' on the dash where the temperature should be. I have tried dealer mode to no avail and it will still just display check even in dealer mode.

BACKGROUND;

Some little s**ts decided to play with some button on my bike including the heated grips whilst i was in work meaning they drained the battery. i got it started by bumpstarting it and had the issues above all the way home. i have charged the battery but it must have been drawing too much current and melted the wiring and fried the regulator so have rewired and changed the regultor ( 14.3V @ 5000RPM). However the issue persists. I have now bypassed the side stand witch as that seemed to be causing an issue too. same problem...

SYMPTOMS;

I've had a few scenarios where the bike has cut out.

1 - i tried charging the battery and taking the bike out but it cut out as i had not sorted the charging system so the battery voltage fell to around 12.0V (could this have damaged components)? tried dealer mode, CHEC only

2 - more recently it has cut out and i have managed to start it again by pressing the side stand switch in ( this has now been bypassed)

3 - pulled away from a set of lights, revved the engine and it went to around 6000RPM (wasn't watching the clocks to be honest so 6000 is a guess) and instantly cut the engine. didn't lock but it was as if the spark or injectors had stopped. checked battery voltage as this was after i had sorted the charging system and it was 12.8 volts. disconnected battery, ECM, starter relay and side stand relay and it eventually just cleared the CHEC code and started. i had tried dealer mode but only CHEC displayed

4 - attempting to get home after number 3, sat at a set of lights again, watching the temperature as it was a hot day. temperature rises and as soon as it hits 100C it cuts out, restarts after fine, and then happily went above 100 and the fan kicked in.

WHAT I'VE TRIED;

i have bypassed the sidestand switch and clutch switch, and have done the following;

new(ish) battery
barnd new regulator
wiring for charging system
side stand/ indicator relay changed
aligned TPS
changed oil, filter and plugs (probably not relevant but for completion)

I have also tried changing the ECM but that was before the charging system so it could be the ECM but was overshadowed by a dead battery.

My next steps as i see them are to check sensors such as the crank and cam position and tip over just incase, get it going and take my spare ECM with me if it cuts out and try that. The arseache is that it is currently SORN so i have to book an MOT to test any attempted fixes.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:50 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the function of the run switch. I've known of two failed ones on Suzukis personally so it must be a reasonably commonplace problem.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aftermarket alarm fitted?

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:51 - 15 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gsx 1400 displayed CHEC when i pressed the starter button (no engine spin) and forgot to pull the clutch lever in. You may be bypassing switches but what about the circuit wires?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 255 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1