Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

1st week on a bike - update

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

annemarie
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:50 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: 1st week on a bike - update Reply with quote

So I got my first geared bike Honda CBF125 last weekend.

We went to pick it up and i had to ride it back home with just 1-CBT-worth of experience.

Riding back home - the usual: stalled going uphill to a roundabout and shifted couple of times into neutral instead of 2nd Laughing but because you can't learn without practice so I decided to start going to work on it into Bristol (15 miles of A roads + going through the city centre)
I think I've learned a lot more of slow control now, having to crawl through bumper to bumper traffic downhill and uphill through Bristol, not filtering at all but just patiently learning to move at very slow speeds + a lot of take offs from stationary.

The only BIG issue i had every time on my way back was this really long hill that you have to climb and it's national speed limit. Once my speed dropped to around 35mph near the top of the hill and once my bike died completely Embarassed

This is where I have found some 3 year old essay-post from Teflon Mike in some old thread and all the advice made so much sense. Thanks a lot, they should quote this on CBTs Cool

So, yes, me as a new rider, I do all that:
-upshift too early and not use the revs at all
-think the sound of high revs and the vibration is 'wrong' compared to the smoother ride if you upshift
-don't think early enough to downshift (from the unnecessary upshifts)
-don't really know how or when to downshift on a long hill and that i do have to rev the shit out of the bike and keep the revs high

So to put all that in practice I've gone yesterday and never really used 3rd in the city, sometimes was staying in 1st smoothly and didn't feel the need to go to 2nd, even though on the CBT I was told to change to 2nd asap after moving. As long as the revs were happy I tried to stay as low as possible.

Only used 4th going over 45-50+ on A road, and gone uphill on the long one in 3rd keeping the revs high - surprisingly the bike climbed at steady 50 and the car behind didn't feel like they had to overtake.

Also getting about 5-8 nods a day which is a fantastic improvement over the 0 nods on a scooter!

And something funny to finish up:
https://i.ibb.co/B2GrhhL/cute-bike.png

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:10 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: re Reply with quote

all sounds good to me, I would do that big uphill in 3rd or 4th gear and will keep the revs up.

on a 125cc 1st gear has no use other than to get going (sometimes I would even start off in 2nd), as soon as you are moving go straight into 2nd, literally 1-2seconds from moving you should be in 2nd, even bumper to bumper traffic I would be in 2nd and simply slip the clutch and play on rear brake, i still often do this on my 600 rather than downshifting to 1st

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:49 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Re: 1st week on a bike - update Reply with quote

annemarie wrote:
but because you can't learn without practice so I decided to start going to work on it into Bristol (15 miles of A roads + going through the city centre)

This is it. Just ride and ride, and you get good. There was someone else here recently, who seems now to have disappeared, who just couldn't get his head around that idea.

Quote:
This is where I have found some 3 year old essay-post from Teflon Mike in some old thread and all the advice made so much sense. Thanks a lot, they should quote this on CBTs Cool

Most people only have a day spare; they can't afford months to hear a load of inane rambling that could have been condensed into a short paragraph Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:14 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try different gears on different inclines that have different speed limits.
30, 40, 50, 60.

You will learn to get the 'feel' for what the machine is comfortable with.

Hanging onto a lower gear for a hill is not a crime so long as you don't wring it's neck in the process (and have old men and women stood on the pavement sucking air through their teeth.)

If you find a gear that lets you make the hill with some reserve ability to still accelerate a little then use that gear.

Although I never like to agree with chickenstrip on ANYTHING Smile he makes a fine point.

Ride and Ride some more.

Smaller engine bikes are a bit of an exercise in The Law of Energy Conservation and Thermodynamics Smile

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_conservation

You will learn where you must roll-off the throttle coz you MUST slow down and where you can maintain velocity and steam through.
Just Build the Skill over time.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Re: 1st week on a bike - update Reply with quote

annemarie wrote:
So I got my first geared bike Honda CBF125 last weekend.

Well done in the various ways you mention.

annemarie
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:38 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:

on a 125cc 1st gear has no use other than to get going (sometimes I would even start off in 2nd), as soon as you are moving go straight into 2nd, literally 1-2seconds from moving you should be in 2nd

May I ask why is that? On the CBT they said you get a jerky ride in 1st so you go to 2nd, but I'm absolutely fine in 1st, smooth ride. People say their 1st gear is unusable and have to use clutch, but I can just go with throttle and no clutch in 1st and it's all good? Obviously nicer in 2nd but just asking if there's something I've missed.

I've also started in 2nd but it was purely by accident. Struggled a bit but got it going then realised what happened. Laughing

chickenstrip wrote:

Most people only have a day spare; they can't afford months to hear a load of inane rambling that could have been condensed into a short paragraph

In that case they should print that out and give learners to read as homework Laughing

MCN wrote:

30, 40, 50, 60.

Hanging onto a lower gear for a hill is not a crime so long as you don't wring it's neck in the process (and have old men and women stood on the pavement sucking air through their teeth.)

If you find a gear that lets you make the hill with some reserve ability to still accelerate a little then use that gear.

That's the plan. So step one was to not die on the hill - done. I will want to practice how to control the speed while going up hill cause there will be times where I will need to slow down cause car overtaking needs to squeeze in front or a slow moving vehicle in front. And speeding up in case I need to.

I only got roughly 2 months to practice on the 125, my big bike is already waiting on the drive Shhh!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:01 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

annemarie wrote:
bigdom86 wrote:

on a 125cc 1st gear has no use other than to get going (sometimes I would even start off in 2nd), as soon as you are moving go straight into 2nd, literally 1-2seconds from moving you should be in 2nd

May I ask why is that? On the CBT they said you get a jerky ride in 1st so you go to 2nd, but I'm absolutely fine in 1st, smooth ride. People say their 1st gear is unusable and have to use clutch, but I can just go with throttle and no clutch in 1st and it's all good? Obviously nicer in 2nd but just asking if there's something I've missed.

I've also started in 2nd but it was purely by accident. Struggled a bit but got it going then realised what happened. Laughing

chickenstrip wrote:

Most people only have a day spare; they can't afford months to hear a load of inane rambling that could have been condensed into a short paragraph

In that case they should print that out and give learners to read as homework Laughing

MCN wrote:

30, 40, 50, 60.

That's the plan. So step one was to not die on the hill - done. I will want to practice how to control the speed while going up hill cause there will be times where I will need to slow down cause car overtaking needs to squeeze in front or a slow moving vehicle in front. And speeding up in case I need to.

I only got roughly 2 months to practice on the 125, my big bike is already waiting on the drive Shhh!

Pull away in 2nd if you want to wear out the clutch faster. Smile

There is no incentive to not use 1st gear.

Its a throw-back to the days when men were men and drove Big heavy trucks with 'Crash-Boxes'.
They are mostly automatic now. So girls can drive them. There were girls who could drive auld trucks too.

Use 1st.

I have been using litre bikes for years and NEVER start off in 2nd.

It is no saving to start off in 2nd. And can accelerate clutch wear.

The gears are there to allow the engine to move the vehicle without labouring and needing massive amounts of torque.

The gears are set up by the OEM to allow a flexible range of speeds.

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:26 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, ditto really.
Watch your revs too, if it’s nearly red lining it up the hill you probably have enough “legs”to go the next gear.
Also look at the road ahead, so if you have a hill coming up get yourself a slight run up if poss......road laws apply .!
Enjoy your geared bike, a bit daunting after a scooter, you’ll get there.
Even me after 35 years of riding I cock it up occasionally.....it’s ok to make mistakes....we’ll , thats my view!

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What they all said - as long as you're out on it and thinking about it then you'll get better at it.

1st again - used to get moving / for low speed stuff. then once going, whatever gear is appropriate. The nice thing about it is that this is entirely your choice Smile

Look where you want to go and look where you are going.

That's it really. Oh and enjoy it, otherwise you'll hate it and that's not what this is about.

annemarie
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:09 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grubscrew wrote:

Enjoy your geared bike, a bit daunting after a scooter, you’ll get there.

UncleBFester wrote:

That's it really. Oh and enjoy it, otherwise you'll hate it and that's not what this is about.

I enjoy it! I even enjoyed the scooter when other road users didn't try to kill me or pressure me into going faster Laughing but the geared Honda is so much more graceful, people leave me alone really, and then I can really enjoy Very Happy

Really want to try going out with a group. We go just the two of us and I love it as it gives me some confidence boost having a big loud bike around but it would be great with even more people.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:49 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

annemarie wrote:

Nope, it sounds like you have great smooth throttle control and the other people who say it's too jerky to ride in 1st must have feet for hands or they would too.

Well done and good luck with your biking career. I'm sure you'll love it.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:59 - 15 Aug 2019    Post subject: re Reply with quote

i'm not suggesting starting in 2nd, I'm just saying you can and I have on the 2% of occasions in heavy London traffic. I agree you can ride in 1st with good clutch control no problem on a 125cc, I just found it much smoother to shift up quickly to 2nd and slip clutch in 2nd in heavy traffic (I still do that on my cbr600), perhaps the cbr125 has a short 1st gear? as if I kept it in 1st it would be screaming at around 20mph so generally I would start in 1st, probably once up to 10mph shift up to 2nd which was always very quick

blue_painted
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:53 - 15 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to pretty much everything said up-thread: keep on keeping on and ride! Smile

When you get to the bigger bike, you might be surprised how much *easier* it is to ride slow -- all because of torque!

There's general BCF sport of taking the piss out of Tef but if you've got time most/all of his posts are worth reading - especially on the smaller bikes.
Evotion This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

annemarie
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:42 - 15 Aug 2019    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
i'm not suggesting starting in 2nd, I'm just saying you can and I have on the 2% of occasions in heavy London traffic. I agree you can ride in 1st with good clutch control no problem on a 125cc, I just found it much smoother to shift up quickly to 2nd and slip clutch in 2nd in heavy traffic (I still do that on my cbr600), perhaps the cbr125 has a short 1st gear? as if I kept it in 1st it would be screaming at around 20mph so generally I would start in 1st, probably once up to 10mph shift up to 2nd which was always very quick

Gotcha. In think i can easily do 20mph in 1st and then above that it starts to scream. So depending on if I am going steady at slow speed or just accelerating, can change to 2nd accordingly.

blue_painted wrote:

There's general BCF sport of taking the piss out of Tef

I am sitting quiet now but the day will come when I will have my full bike licence in my hand and this is when I will remind him how he's told me to get off two wheels!!! Laughing

blue_painted wrote:

When you get to the bigger bike, you might be surprised how much *easier* it is to ride slow -- all because of torque!

I've tried on HD Street 750 and it felt like you could just cruise in 1st all day. 2nd felt like a rocket to me but obviously I can only compare to 125.

Evotion wrote:

Cracking bike this, and the YBR.

Don't feel any pressure to go up through the higher capacities though there is an argument that 300 -500 can actually be safer as you have more 'outs' using the power.

OOPS *hiding the 750 outside that is already there waiting* Laughing Laughing Laughing

But seriously I wasn't even going to buy a geared 125 at the beginning but suffer through on the scooter - I am so glad I did actually get it and it's not even about saving the tuition money etc. It's just great, I am learning a lot myself, also feel like a person again. Cool

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:36 - 15 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue_painted wrote:

There's general BCF sport of taking the piss out of Tef but if you've got time most/all of his posts are worth reading - especially on the smaller bikes.

His advice is generally wrong, outdated, dangerous, and outright areswater. One day he will get someone killed.

He once advised us that there were 5 x 1/4 turns in 360 degrees.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 16:56 - 15 Aug 2019    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

annemarie wrote:
and this is when I will remind him how he's told me to get off two wheels!!!

I'vew nevert saif that to any-one! I said get used to it ort get off two-wheel.. a choice is not a command!

1st gear?! On a 125 its usually set pretty low... 125's with maybe just 10bhp dont have much stomp at tick-over so they need the mechanical advantage of force multiplication gears offer.. as stock the OEM ghas to pick a gear low enough in 1st to ;launch a 125KG bike, with perhaps a 2- stone (150KG rider) plus a 160KY pillion, AND maybe 200Kg of luggage (A couple of sacks of cement) up a 1 in 3 hill.... which takies a fair bt of foce ane they need as low a cog as they can get... but that will mean that the ikes tops out in that gear as slow as maybe 15mph, nbergging a very early upshift to 2nd once moving... Hence advivce to upshift as earlyt as.. you probably DONT need the low gear tro get shifting, BUT you'll strll top out early and not have the revs to over ride the drop off to make an upshiaft, and a little 125 probably woint have the oomph to pull away, certailyt not cleanly in 2nd like a bige bike might....

For lols my Cota comp trials bike is SO low geared, it will only pull perhaps 55mph flat iout in top, 6th (it does only have almost learner legal 15bhp, despite vei8ng a full 250!) but it only weights about 70KG and even with my 14 stone on board, on a 1:L3 hill it will strill laumnch in maybe 4th! But still!

This is reasn behind the advice tol lauch in 1st and shift up quick.... on most 125's you dont have the stomp to launch in 2nd nor the rev ceiling to do it all in 1st.... Snowie DID do her 31mph speed trap in 1st on the Super-dream... but I was hgiding behind the fence waitiong for tyhe bang, exminer was sheltering beneath his cvlip-=board, an I DID have tob go get an 8m,m spanner and redistrict hger tappet lock-nuts before you attempted the swerve!... Exanminer took the time to go have a woodbine of five vbehind the bike shedds whilst I fettled tapperts.. I wntred to join him! But she passed.... sop let the little feckjer rev and if it blows which is highly unlikely.. claim on the warranty.. da'ts what it for!

Meanwhilke carry on using revs not gears.. glad to have helped!

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:21 - 15 Aug 2019    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
wrote like an 8 year old ....

Have you spent the afternoon on the peeve, Teffers ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:02 - 15 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... don't listen to Tef. I've never seen a poster on a forum or social media who so enjoys the sound of his own virtual voice and yet manages to be wrong so much. I don't generally stomp on people for the sake of it but I don't think this is for the sake of it.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:59 - 15 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
...I've never seen a poster on a forum or social media who so enjoys the sound of his own virtual voice and yet manages to be wrong so much...

Hey! That's me Smile Does it help that I know I don't know... ya know?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:01 - 15 Aug 2019    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

GSTEEL32 wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:
wrote like an 8 year old ....

Have you spent the afternoon on the peeve, Teffers ?

Been on Thinners Margaritas and Brake Cleaner Slammers I think. Shocked

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:08 - 15 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your shiny new bike looks like it needs some stickers. Twisted Evil

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:38 - 16 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ spam
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:12 - 16 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like me, but last year, even down to the 15 or so miles of A roads commute into Bristol Smile I was on a CB125F Smile

Practice, and having fun is a good recipe. I seem to love everything on two wheels with an engine. Advice from people is good and then you adapt it and do what works best for you.

My CB125F seemed to be geared with a longer 1st and 2nd than some 125s, I could ride slow speeds in first quite happily just on the throttle.

Just added a 2016 Herald classic 125 to my growing collection (my wife has a CBT booked and we are also adding a Scooter this weekend). The Herald 1st is significantly shorter, you get out of it immediately once moving (well on mine anyway). The Herald copes better with hills though can actually pull up in 4th and even 5th sometimes.

They must have to make compromises when gearing 125s, the Herald doesn't pull away quite so nippy from fast standing start, have to do a couple of very quick gear changes but carries on through the end of 3rd, 4th and 5th, better than the Honda did.

For some journeys I still prefer getting on a 125 and then other times I want to get on big bike. I love them both. I am even looking forward to scooting around a bit on the twist and go.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 255 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1