Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The end of Shipbuilding in Britain?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:22 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: The end of Shipbuilding in Britain? Reply with quote

Harland & Wolff in Belfast has closed its doors for the last time.

There are a few small yards left and a few yards that build navy ships but the last great commercial shipbuilders in UK has shut.

Obviously most famous for Titanic, Britannic and Olympic, the yard has built many many ships and oil rigs of various sizes.

I sailed on 2 supertankers built by H&W, the Lepeta and the Lampas

https://www.aukevisser.nl/supertankers/VLCC%20L-M/217c200a0.jpg

https://www.helderline.com/sites/default/files/helderline-36141-Home-271_9842_lampas-2-30.jpg

Obviously like just about everything with heavy engineering the Chinese and Koreans have undercut us out of business so now H&W won't be buying British steel and parts from British support industries and we will have to go cap in hand to the foreign shipyards for all our boats.

Mind you, a huge number of coffin nails were hammered into H&W when Cunard decided to have the Queen Mary 2 built at Chantiers de l'Atlantique in France and not H&W.

The end of an era and it hardly made the news. Cest la vie. Crying or Very sad

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7324467/Sinking-Titanic-shipyard-Harland-Wolff-Belfast-closed-doors-time.html?fbclid=IwAR2OWUXA_L0THjcIfd6yGIeTS5JMBXIE4Dhbpt5xgeiw4GXCvxYxhnvRRW0

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, H&W haven't built a ship since 2002/3

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:43 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
To be fair, H&W haven't built a ship since 2002/3

2007 I think, but as I said, they needed the QM2, she went to France.

The thing is the capability is now lost and maybe they don't deserve to survive but I'm sad about it.

No one seems to give a shit about our industry. British steel, heavy fabrication, ship and car building are all surviving on the whim of foreign owners.

Sometimes I feel a bit communistic and want to nationalise certain things.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:40 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Unfortunately, with the EU, we have to let every country tender. Our own government can't keep the contract and money in the UK.

Another reason why the EU is leaching from the UK.

You retard, it has got nothing to do with the EU, it's all to do with South Korea & China. If anything, it was BAe that caused the final 'ship building' nail in the coffin, when work on the new carriers was given to the shipyards on the Clyde and Barrow.

It's last major work was on renewable technologies, a booming industry by all accounts, so, if it couldn't make that work, I guess just not fit for purpose.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Our own government can't keep the contract and money in the UK.

Sorry muppet, but, just where were the 2 new RN aircraft carriers built, that was never going to be abroad, you're an imbecile of the highest order

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:49 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muppet, Retard, and Imbecile in two posts.

Inb4 Karma given.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:08 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

We cant afford to build anything usefull in this country, anything in mass production we do build is shit, and usually owned by the French/ Germans ( Vauxhall)
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:17 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
bhinso wrote:
Muppet, Retard, and Imbecile in two posts.

Inb4 Karma given.

Linuxyapi was put on ignore a long time ago for that very reason. I just see a couple of blank posts from it immediately after I post something. It's not worth the bother to unblock just to read its verbal diarrhoea and give appropriate karma.

It debates like a petulant teenager who's in the wrong but will never admit it, so nothing of any purpose is lost in the thread. It doesn't want to debate anything, only to pick pointless arguments and pour abuse because it's mummy has grounded it again.

Well you'll have to log out to see this then you fuckin' ZONKER.

Rolling Eyes

Then you can login again to post your vitriolic pith.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:06 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Linuxyapi was put on ignore a long time ago for that very reason. I just see a couple of blank posts from it immediately after I post something. It's not worth the bother to unblock just to read its verbal diarrhoea and give appropriate karma.

It debates like a petulant teenager who's in the wrong but will never admit it, so nothing of any purpose is lost in the thread. It doesn't want to debate anything, only to pick pointless arguments and pour abuse because it's mummy has grounded it again.

Oh dear, can't actually backup the nonsense you have typed, am I surprised? No not really, do I pity you? No, not anymore. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:58 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Swan Hunters closed on The Tyne they had a fair amount of useful equipment there.
I actually watched over the space of a few weeks how several cranes were dismantled and loaded onto a floating dock. That dock went to India so that they could build ships..
Foreign ship builders invested in huge sites that work like production lines. Few UK ship yards could follow that way because their locations dictated how big an area they could have or how large a dry dock they could make.

Surely the start of Britain losing its industries was when thatcher (no capital letter from me) was in power? She actively sought to destroy unions and split industries up. Huge businesses were sold off - BT, water etc.
I doubt we'll ever get our industries back - even under a Corbyn government.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
When Swan Hunters closed on The Tyne they had a fair amount of useful equipment there.
I actually watched over the space of a few weeks how several cranes were dismantled and loaded onto a floating dock. That dock went to India so that they could build ships..
Foreign ship builders invested in huge sites that work like production lines. Few UK ship yards could follow that way because their locations dictated how big an area they could have or how large a dry dock they could make.

Surely the start of Britain losing its industries was when thatcher (no capital letter from me) was in power? She actively sought to destroy unions and split industries up. Huge businesses were sold off - BT, water etc.
I doubt we'll ever get our industries back - even under a Corbyn government.

I doubt things would have been overly different whichever government was in power, ultimately it's just straight forward globalization in action, some industries in the UK gained, some lost, predominently heavy industries. The larger longer term issue, is the lack of majority or wholly owned british organisations, so when these organisations need to retrench, they move to the lowest cost based economy with the highest return on investment, or, their 'home' country, where they are more likely to receive state support. Alas capitalism in action. I have no qualms about industries being nationalised, but to be honest, will that make them any better? Take rail for instance, it's still largely dictated as to how it's run by the dft, and, when the east coast mainline was taken back from the franchisee the last couple of times, it has been well received and by all accounts well run, still hasn't stopped another operator of the franchise taking over. Then you have British Airways, which has, gone from strength to strength,since being privatised, and, it effectively also owns Iberia (Spain's flag carrier), Vueling, Aer Lingus (Ireland's flag carrier) and others. However, as much as I don't particularly like Boris, I'm afraid I'd take his conservative party over a Corbyn labour party any day, no matter what Corbyn might promise.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:06 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we can all get misty eyed over the loss of another British Industry may I remind people to read up on history...

British Leyland Shocked

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:31 - 14 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you could put up tariffs and start trade wars so that home grown industries with well paid, pensioned unionised workers with good H&S don't have to compete with cheap foreign shipbuilders but wouldn't you end up being called Orange and have people making blimps of you?

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:07 - 15 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merchant ships are pretty low tech and low margin sadly. You're basically just making a big steel box. If we subsidise construction of ships we are basically paying to build ships to bring cargo from China to Britain more cheaply Laughing

We should however start state aid on producing A LOT of trains, railway tracks, bridges, tunnel rings etc and massively improve our road and rail infrastructure. Its still heavy industry but its to our national benefit, not to China's.

linuxyeti wrote:
mpd72 wrote:

Our own government can't keep the contract and money in the UK.

Sorry muppet, but, just where were the 2 new RN aircraft carriers built, that was never going to be abroad, you're an imbecile of the highest order

MPD was talking about commercial work, don't put words into his mouth, "retard". He also happens to know what he is talking about, unlike you it seems.

As for CVF/Carrier its military and therefore exempt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:26 - 15 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

MPD was talking about commercial work, don't put words into his mouth, "retard". He also happens to know what he is talking about, unlike you it seems.

Yes, indeed, doesn't mean their manufacture has to stay in the UK, it's a government decision, nothing to do with the EU, as is the decision to have built, the 4 37,000 tonne Tide class fast fleet tankers for the Royal Navy in South Korea, and, not the UK

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:13 - 15 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does annoy me with the loss of industries is the loss of skilled workers. Sure they can retrain and work in B&Q but what use is that to a country?
Investing in our own country to make it strong and efficient is something I'm in agreement with. Even the closure of libraries is stupid - if people are idle/needing to re-train then at least provide the facilities.
I'll go one step further - build our own green stuff. Wind turbines for example. It's madness shipping them into the UK from other places when we have the skills to make them.
I can see a point coming where the UK does not make any steel or aluminium. Two of the most basic and yet important building blocks of manufacturing. There are people who rave on about us needing nukes to defend and look after ourselves and yet ignoring the most basic of ingredients a country needs is crazy.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:51 - 15 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Yes, indeed, doesn't mean their manufacture has to stay in the UK, it's a government decision, nothing to do with the EU, as is the decision to have built, the 4 37,000 tonne Tide class fast fleet tankers for the Royal Navy in South Korea, and, not the UK

Actually, they are not for the Royal Navy, they are for the Royal Fleet Auxiliary and classed as merchant ships so they are not under the same purchasing controls as military vessels.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 15 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Actually, they are not for the Royal Navy, they are for the Royal Fleet Auxiliary and classed as merchant ships so they are not under the same purchasing controls as military vessels.

Yes, but, it's a government decision to put them into that classification, however, for the same type of vessels, Spain classes them as as warships, and as such can be validly tendered to a single company, likewise, there's nothing stopping the UK governemnt from classifying the ships as warships either. The same goes for the recent tender for 2-3 Fleet Solid Support Vessels, they are to be armed, and active in war zones, and yet the government refuses to classify them as warships, which they can legitimately do, as such, the tenders are open to foreign companies, infact of the 5 companies that have tendered, only 1 UK consortium (BAe & Babcock) have tendered, the other tenders are from Italy, Spain, Japan & South Korea, so, it really boils down to the Government, who are using eu legislation as a scapegoat. Wonder who they will use as a scapegoat after brexit??

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:15 - 15 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Easy-X wrote:
While we can all get misty eyed over the loss of another British Industry may I remind people to read up on history...

British Leyland Shocked

Who were destroyed by the unions.

You corn-fed cunt.

Get tae fuck out of the grown-up's thread.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 15 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unions may have contributed, but the underlying reason why we lost our heavy industry was because we couldn't compete. We couldn't compete because of the price of land and labour. The price of land and labour in this country is higher than in the developing world because we had our industrial revolution first then enjoyed years of relative prosperity in the 50s and 60s, during which the demand for land and labour rocketed, thus pushing up prices.

We are victims of our own success in economic terms.

I await the argument that if we hadn't imported loads of fuzzy-wuzzies during the 50s and 60s, everything would still be ok......

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:33 - 15 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting article on the subsidised Eastern ship building indistry. https://www.wsj.com/articles/asia-state-players-wield-subsidies-to-dominate-shipping-1543763689

Don't worry though the government has promised that the service sector will provide plenty of jobs (the Thatcher government).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 254 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6