Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The end of Shipbuilding in Britain?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:56 - 21 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

I didn’t think you’d have the balls to admit you’re wrong. I was right.

Why do YOU think the EU is throwing money at a country is pretends will not join?

Appeasement?

"Just have some money and go away."
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 21 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread's gone way off topic Sad

Mentalboy tried to get it back, but even he couldn't push back the tide of the fite.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:45 - 21 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

I didn’t think you’d have the balls to admit you’re wrong. I was right.

Why do YOU think the EU is throwing money at a country is pretends will not join?

Right about what precisely? You have stated an opinion, not a fact.

I don't pretend to know if Turkey will eventually join the EU or not, and unless you've borrowed that tardis again, neither do you soft-lad....

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 21 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Diggs wrote:
Dodges the awkward question again, knowing the correct answer goes against his argument.

Calm down... There is no correct answer that you or I know. Shouting won't help!

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:24 - 21 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

To humour you however, I think the reason why the EU is helping Turkey is because it sees the advantage in having Turkey as a friend. It acts as a buffer between Europe and the Middle East, and it is better to have nonsense on the Turkey/Syria border than on the Turkey/EU border.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 21 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
What do you think WW1 and WW2 were about and how is this any different?

Think about that for a second....

Why did WWI start? Because Austria Hungary declared war on Serbia, Russia had an alliance with Serbia and Germany had an alliance with Austria Hungary, so Germany declared war on Russia also. We and the French had an alliance with Russia etc etc etc. How is that similar to today?

WWII started because Germany wanted to regain national prestige after loosing WWI and Hitler saw a war as the way to achieve this. Germany had treaties with Russia, Italy and Japan and we had treaties with Poland, France etc etc etc. Again, where is the similarity to today?

It is all too easy for you to describe what the EU is doing now as similar to 1914 and 1939, but it isn't the same at all. The EU can be rightly criticised for many reasons, but I won't be building my Anderson Shelter just yet....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o7dkC8XWJ4

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:06 - 21 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are tying yourself up in knots here, and could really do with reading some history books before you pontificate about the causes of WWI because your lack of knowledge is showing.

May I suggest you start with the Congress of Vienna, Austro-Prussian war, Unification and the Franco-Prussian war, the Schlieffen Plan (as modified) and its limited scope, plus the German declaration of war on Russia. Once you have a grasp of those elements you will have a better understanding of Germany's territorial intentions in WWI.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:02 - 22 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

Appeasement?

"Just have some money and go away."

So you think they're giving Turkey billions, moving industry from the EU to Turkey using EU loans and subsidies and paying for their border security to trap the Kurds in Syria, to appease them because they won't let them join the EU?

That's priceless! I bet you've bought some magic beans in your time.

You really wont see any wrong with the EU will you? Can yo not see what's happening here with the EU army (which you Europhiles denied a couple of years ago), the move to central taxation, the extending of it's borders to the East and South East and a growing charge to even closer federalisation?

I can't believe how people are ignoring the inevitable transformation into Germany's third attempt to rule Europe. The Remainers really do think everything will remain the same if we stay in the EU, they really think the status quo is stable. It's like Turkeys voting for Christmas.

I voted for leave you mong Laughing

My suggestion about appeasement was a completely wild guess. I know nothing about the EU/Turkey situation. No need to get so triggered.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:06 - 22 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also as far as the situation goes, I don't mind being Turkey being developed and moulded by European money.

The alternatives are the Chinese doing it instead, or the US finding a way to do it with jackboots and gunships.

It's all power games.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:16 - 22 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting discussion on Shipbuilding! Okay, so I admit to a slight diversion into other heavy industries...

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:55 - 22 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Diggs wrote:
So misunderstood those Nazi's. It wasn't their fault. They were just trying to be friendly with Europe, not rule it as their empire.

Your liberal history is odd. I thought you hated Nazis, rather than apologising for them?

Having to make up other people's 'quotes' to advance your argument doesn't become you, madam.

Given that we were talking about WWI specifically in our last exchange, please remind me at what point in history the Nazi Party began to influence German foreign policy?

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 22 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Why did WWI start? Because Austria Hungary declared war on Serbia, Russia had an alliance with Serbia and Germany had an alliance with Austria Hungary, so Germany declared war on Russia also. We and the French had an alliance with Russia etc etc etc. How is that similar to today?

It wasn't an alliance with Russia which triggered our entry into WW1. In fact, ideally we would have remained neutral (see 'July Crisis'). In the end it was our treaty with Belgium which did it. The Germans were forced to enter Belgium in order to encircle Paris and knock the French out quickly. They gambled that we 'wouldn't go to war over a mere scrap of paper', and lost. Scheisse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 22 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double Post Whoops.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:20 - 22 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
Diggs wrote:

It wasn't an alliance with Russia which triggered our entry into WW1. In fact, ideally we would have remained neutral (see 'July Crisis'). In the end it was our treaty with Belgium which did it. The Germans were forced to enter Belgium in order to encircle Paris and knock the French out quickly. They gambled that we 'wouldn't go to war over a mere scrap of paper', and lost. Scheisse.

It was all down to timing. Russia invaded East Prussia on 1st August. Whilst we had a treaty with Russia, this didn't trigger our entry into the war because at first it looked like Russia was winning. Germany invade Belgium on 4th August which did...

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 22 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the EU's interest in Turkey, I do think it has designs on reforming Turkey and bringing it into the empire, but then it has imperial ambitions globally which I find worrying. Check out the EU's Union for the Mediterranean and EU in The World websites. It's the kind of stuff which either duplicates what individual nations do (and their time is surely numbered), or what the UN aims to do. Taking one example at random, why is there an EU Election Observation Mission in Peru? That seems to me to be beyond the remit.

The EU has spotted that the UN struggles because it recognises national sovereignty and uses economic sanctions after the event to try to punish nations which won't conform. The UN (and NATO) is also too US-dominated for the EU (wannabe world) leaders. Instead, the EU binds members into economic rules which admittedly are beneficial, but which become a blackmail tool. Don't like our political policy? Tough, we own you now and we'll make you poorer if you won't conform. Being bold enough to leave the EU comes with a deliberate cost way beyond reason.

Edit: corrected the second link.

Last edited by Kawasaki Jimbo on 00:24 - 23 Aug 2019; edited 1 time in total
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 242 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6