Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The end of Shipbuilding in Britain?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:57 - 16 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
The difference from heavy industry though is that Kaolin clay is found in very few places globally ( relatively speaking, compared to it's importance to many industries), St Austell and Plymouth being it for the UK. Imerys may wind down production but it is unlikely to cease any time soon.

Sadly irrelevant. Washing out clay is seen as environmentally damaging and not the sort of thing that should be encouraged. Cornwall could be the last place on Earth for clay and that would count for nothing.

The actual reality is that as a large scale private land owner ECC (and then Imerys) incidentally encouraged quite a lot of wildlife through dint of chainlink fences keeping the great unwashed away.

Anyhoo, the Eco Town is still proceeding; now with EU money to add to the schizophrenia of local politics Sad

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:38 - 16 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
mentalboy wrote:
The difference from heavy industry though is that Kaolin clay is found in very few places globally ( relatively speaking, compared to it's importance to many industries), St Austell and Plymouth being it for the UK. Imerys may wind down production but it is unlikely to cease any time soon.

Sadly irrelevant. Washing out clay is seen as environmentally damaging and not the sort of thing that should be encouraged. Cornwall could be the last place on Earth for clay and that would count for nothing.

The actual reality is that as a large scale private land owner ECC (and then Imerys) incidentally encouraged quite a lot of wildlife through dint of chainlink fences keeping the great unwashed away.

Anyhoo, the Eco Town is still proceeding; now with EU money to add to the schizophrenia of local politics Sad

Admittedly most of the activity I witnessed in St. Austell ares was Eden Project related rather than mining but Lee Moor (Plymouth) always seemed to be expanding, despite regular moaning about staff cutbacks.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:28 - 16 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like British Steel may be rescued again by foreign investment...

https://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/british-steel-in-exclusive-talks-with-turkish-pension-fund-to-save-5000-jobs-11364385213486

Really?

A Turkish pension fund?

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 16 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

A Turkish pension fund?

Beggars can't be choosers, inshallah...
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:36 - 16 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were daft enough to export our skills and show them how to do our jobs. The unions did their bit as did the belief that we have to give everyone aid in the billions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 16 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Anyone seen the 1000 plus KM wall the EU has paid to be built on the far Turkish border, or are we all too worried about Trump threatening to upgrade his porous border with Mexico?

https://www.iamawake.co/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/TurkWall-620x350.jpg

Hang on a minute MDMA, you grumble when the EU lets them in, and now you are grumbling because the EU has paid for a wall to keep them out... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:12 - 17 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have employed some East Germans to design that wall. Where are the guard towers, the mine fields, the dog runs and the electric fences?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 17 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Okay, so I don't know much about heavy engineering first hand but I do know the Cornish clay industry.

While our lads have to wash it out with water jets

Coo! How do you know about that? AFAIK the USA is the biggest producer, we're joint second, and Brazil is a little way behind us. Mind you my knowledge is rather out of date.

What are the machines making the "water jets" called? Smile

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:25 - 17 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Seems like British Steel may be rescued again by ... A Turkish pension fund?

They must be mad (or think that the government will help them, which it might).

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:58 - 17 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Easy-X wrote:
Okay, so I don't know much about heavy engineering first hand but I do know the Cornish clay industry.

While our lads have to wash it out with water jets

Coo! How do you know about that? AFAIK the USA is the biggest producer, we're joint second, and Brazil is a little way behind us. Mind you my knowledge is rather out of date.

What are the machines making the "water jets" called? Smile

My dad used to work in one of the refineries. He soon shifted to the "LA Plant" at Goonbarrow which was originally an experiment in recovering more clay from the waste from the main refinery. In the end, while it produced less volume, the product turned out to be much higher grade and consequently more valuable.

At one time the price of Tin got so high they even experimented with shaker bed extraction...

The USA might be the biggest exporter now but maybe not historically... all I recall is ppl banging on about the Brazilians (late '80s, early '90s.)

The clay/sand mix (slurry) is washed out with a "monitor" you'll have to search for an image as Google says all the good photos have copyright Sad

<addendum> If you ever visit Cornwall check out the Wheal Martyn Museum.
- This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 17 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

I see. I went on a visit to one of the pits there once, booze-up in pub after (or was it before?) somewhere near Bugle ISTR. Very messy indeed in various ways. Didn't know you were in Cornwall, thought up north.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 17 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

My dad used to work in one of the refineries. He soon shifted to the "LA Plant" at Goonbarrow which was originally an experiment in recovering more clay from the waste from the main refinery.

<addendum> If you ever visit Cornwall check out the Wheal Martyn Museum.

Your dad wasn't in the pits tug of war team about that time (early 90's)? Our local team was in the Devon and Cornwall league and those lads from the Cornish pits were our only real competition.

The museum is a interesting place and makes for a great weekend trip when combined with a trip to the Eden Project.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:39 - 17 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a pub in Carthew that's on the way to Bugle otherwise it's probably the Bugle Inn. You didn't drink the Rattler did you? It's much stronger than the apple juice that's "exported" up country Smile

My dad only worked briefly in the pits (IIRC) but no, his game was bowls. He helped build the Goonbarrow Bowling Club.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 18 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two geniuses on Sky News the other day. One from a union and one from the institute of economic affairs.

Union Man: Britain needs to stop importing Aircraft Carriers when they can be built in the UK.

Really? Britain's aircraft carriers post WW2 era

1980 HMS Invincible 22,000 long tons UK
1982 HMS Illustrious 22,000 long tons UK
1985 HMS Ark Royal 22,000 long tons UK

1995 HMS Ocean 21,500 long tons UK

2017 HMS Queen Elizabeth 65,000 long tons UK
2020 HMS Prince of Wales 65,000 long tons UK

IEA woman: [wants to stop all UK steel production because its not viable] ... "Well of course we need to maintain some for national security for the production of airplanes and the like"

No modern planes are made of steel that I'm aware of Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:22 - 18 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Union Man: Britain needs to stop importing Aircraft Carriers when they can be built in the UK.

Strange that the Left are so bloodthirsty? You'd think they'd be limp-wristed pacifists.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:24 - 19 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Strange that the Left are so bloodthirsty? You'd think they'd be limp-wristed pacifists.

They are especially limp wristed when it comes to the defence of our country.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:13 - 19 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we need air craft carriers for all the jobs but we can't actually use any in anger?! Errr.... Thinking

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 19 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Diggs wrote:

Hang on a minute MDMA, you grumble when the EU lets them in, and now you are grumbling because the EU has paid for a wall to keep them out... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Nearly right Tarquin, just one fatal flaw. This wall is not (yet) at a border with the EU. That's why I called it the far Turkish border.

So you are telling me that the EU has funded a wall between a non-member country and a war-zone as an altruistic gesture towards the Turkish population?

Could it just conceivably be that the EU recognises this as a route for migrants and understands that said migrants are unlikely to stop in Turkey?
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:34 - 19 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are doing then is agreeing with me that the wall was funded by the EU to make it harder for refugees/migrants to cross into Turkey and then move to the EU.....

It wasn't that hard, was it?

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 19 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing retard

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 19 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. I momentarily forgot that the EU can't do anything you agree with so you must argue that black is white plus throw in the odd 'Tarquin' and 'arse' to emphasise your point.....

Let me try to explain it in different terms. The EU sees Turkey as a buffer, across which the great unwashed have to travel to enter Europe proper. Make it harder for people to enter, fewer will try. What we have therefore is a physical obstacle in the form of a wall then hundreds of miles of arid land containing a hostile population. This is a more effective deterrent than people arriving in Turkey then being helped to make it to the northern border. Not complicated....
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 245 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6