BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First ride

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Steve K
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:52 - 18 Aug 2019    Post subject: First ride Reply with quote

This week I passed my Mod 1 and Mod 2 so yesterday I finally got to take my SV out for the first time. I Know this is where the real learning begins.
First thoughts are Im really chuffed with my bike. sounds and goes well and to me feels bloody quick. Ive only opened her up a couple of times on very quiet stretches, god knows how you guys ride the high horse power sports bikes.
Im just going to keep going out and practicing my craft and enjoying it without doing anything stupid. It was also a bonus taking the L plates off my twist and go that I use for work.
Got up this morning planning a nice ride but its now pissing down grrrr.
Have a good week and stay safe Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:45 - 19 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on passing. As you say, the real learning begins now. I'd just suggest taking it one step at a time and enjoying every minute of it!

The performance jump from a car (even a quick one) feels massive initially, but you do get used to it worryingly quickly . . .
Evotion This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 15:10 - 19 Aug 2019    Post subject: Re: First ride Reply with quote

Steve K wrote:
god knows how you guys ride the high horse power sports bikes.

Power is very subjecticve and relative; SV50 claims 75bhp for 200Kg, an 'old' Yamaha RD250 only claims 28bhp for 160Kg... the Yamaha has the legend of being the ultimate hooligans bike, all its meagre power coming in at 6ooo revs.. the more powerful and more power to wightr SV has the reputation of being a bit of mutton dressed as lamb, the looks of a sports bike, but the nature of a boring commuter..... ultimatelky the SV is NOT such an unpowerful motorcycle, its 75bhp is more than respectable, and plenty more than a lot of bikes, even this century. But, made this century it has radial tyres, an aluminium trellis frame, etc and it actually works pretty good, and its 'boing' reputration, is as much as anything down to the fact that it does all work so well and doesnt deliver the drama of the unexpected like an old two-smoke, depite having possiblky twice the power or more....

So, it's nature NOT power.

Just for illustration, personlly, I found the Kawaski zX6R, the first of the 100bhp sports sixes, to be one of the most 'boring' bikes to try ride on the public road. Honed for dedicated track use, it was just 'so' competant at real woeld road speeds with so little random it just never delivered any drama until you were being incredibly daft with the thing, which it encourageed by NOT delivering that on demand exitement... until you were traveling at incredibly illegal and stupid speeds and a hairs bredth from a hedge or scania!!!! By comparison a 'full-power, Cagiva 125 Mito, with just 30bhp, all delivered with a bang at 6K revs WAS engaging and exiting to ride on the queens highway, because it had that ragged edge that could be found lot earlier, and actually rewarded the rider for being a bit spirited with it, rather then chucking them into the hedge for getting it wrong....

Like I said its down to nature not so specs....

Howebler.. personlly, these days, I dont go looking for that kind of thrill on the queens... if you like that sort of thing, then track days and actul racing can deliver it in spades, and you have St-Johns on hand to patch you up when you effeupp, and you dont have to have tax insurance or MOT to do it... and at the end of you get actual verified lap times or race placings to show how loonie you are not fines and licence points....and bar room fantasies.

75bhp is PLENTY for the public highway, it will get a motorbike shaped/sized projectile up to arouyn 120 per which is still double the national spoeed limit; its ednoyugh to have some fun on the lanes, not get an Audei enema on the multi-lane, or take a pillion bunny half the length of the country with a tent and crater of beer... if you want more exitement than that, go to the track.... or ride an old 125 like a loon, and probbly get more thrills for the money from it!

Steve K wrote:
This week I passed my Mod 1 and Mod 2 so yesterday I finally got to take my SV out for the first time. I Know this is where the real learning begins.
Im just going to keep going out and practicing my craft and enjoying it without doing anything stupid. It was also a bonus taking the L plates off my twist and go that I use for work.
Got up this morning planning a nice ride but its now pissing down grrrr.

Whether it be fair or whether it be foul, we'll weather the whether, whether we like it or not! That be britain! Get used!You have had loimng enough!

But enjoy and remember, its not so much what you doi as where you do it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 245 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1