Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

You have around £2500 to spend on a bike, what do you buy?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

slowside
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:10 - 18 Aug 2019    Post subject: You have around £2500 to spend on a bike, what do you buy? Reply with quote

In the vain of many self-felating ‘I’ve passed my MOD2, what bike should I buy’ threads, here is another.

I have an ever revolving shortlist of the usual middleweight 600s, but I thought rather than asking for suggestions which will throw up the same list of sensible post-test bikes, I’d ask what YOU lot would buy if you had the cash spare to see if there were any interesting options I may be missing (if that just so happens to be a sensible middleweight 600 post-test bike then fair enough).

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:18 - 18 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Hayabusa for £2500
And a TL1000R for £1800.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 18 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

600’s are for baby loser nerds. I refer you to Fisty’s musings above. Get a real man’s bike.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 18 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a decent used dealer £2500 is a lot of money to play with, but that depends on if you've gained the A2 or A license?

Depends what type of bike you want: sports, commuter, sport touring, touring, adventure, off-road etc.

You're going to want to set aside a budget, and some time, for basic servicing when you get whatever you buy: part of inheriting a second hand bike.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:58 - 18 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends, what do you want a bike for? Commuting? Peer acceptance? Sons of Anarchy role playing? Wannabe Rossi? Steve McQueen fence jumping? Polishing? Hipsterbation?
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 18 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 2002/2003 R1.

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:16 - 18 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Later shape ducati 750 or 900 SS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

slowside
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:18 - 18 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
At a decent used dealer £2500 is a lot of money to play with, but that depends on if you've gained the A2 or A license?

Depends what type of bike you want: sports, commuter, sport touring, touring, adventure, off-road etc.

You're going to want to set aside a budget, and some time, for basic servicing when you get whatever you buy: part of inheriting a second hand bike.

I have full unrestricted entitlement, so any bike is on the cards.

My post is more about what YOU would buy, rather than what I should buy.

I know what my needs are (having been commuting on my 125 for the last couple of years) and already have a shortlist of bikes to fill that role and provide a bit of weekend fun.

But sometimes it’s good to get a few left-field options you hadn’t considered, driven by the choices other people might make. I’m of the opinion that motorcycling is a silly and impractical hobby, so my choice of bike doesn’t necessarily have to be sensible or practical.

Edit: just re-read my reply and it sounds a bit arsey - not intended and appreciate all the replies!

Last edited by slowside on 22:30 - 18 Aug 2019; edited 1 time in total

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 22:27 - 18 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was my first big bike I'd buy an R6 because that's exactly what I did.

You can get a 5eb for less than 2.5k

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:29 - 18 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently passed and got the full A... and then got an A2 bike Shocked It suits my needs though. I was quite surprised that a few of the 600 to 650 bikes I was previously looking at weren't earth-shatteringly more powerful than the bike I have now...

Anyhoo, after my dismal failure at resurrecting an old Fazer 600 I think I'd probably go for one of those (a working example though) and use the money left over from this mythical £2500 to really give it a good service.

I quite liked it - even though I only sat on it and turned over the engine - and generally ppl's opinion of it was it was a great all-purpose bike.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:44 - 18 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSXR 1000, what's the worst that can happen?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:06 - 18 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowside wrote:
My post is more about what YOU would buy, rather than what I should buy.

I know what my needs are... But sometimes it’s good to get a few left-field options you hadn’t considered,

In that case, if not ZX6R I'll say Aprilia Falco.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:10 - 18 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two stroke KTM enduro bike.

I say KTM but it could end up being a different brand if I found a good deal.

Completely impractical as a commuter bike. Laughing

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:55 - 19 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hornet 900 or Fireblade, again.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:08 - 19 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy a blackbird, service the brakes and re-spring it.

Or potentially an early VFR800 and do the same and fit an adjustable fork cartridge off a CBR.

Or an early alloy framed CBR600F and give the brakes and suspension a full overhaul and fit some sensible luggage.

There's a theme here. Get a mid 90's early 2000's Honda sports tourer, sort out the brakes and handling.

slowside
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:36 - 19 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Hornet 900 or Fireblade, again.

Hornet 900 - I keep reading that it was a let down compared to the Hornet 600, though I don’t know why. What did you make of it?

Some great suggestions so far folks, my eBay watchlist is a fair bit longer now.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:17 - 19 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vfr800/sprint st as I'm not really into out and out sports bikes. Blackbird just doesn't fit me ergonomically unfortunately. Arms are too short.

Failing that a Fazer or early tuono.
Evotion This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:23 - 19 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

£2.5k? Not sure. For a first bike I'd probably go for a Hornet or Fazer if I didn't want a full on sportsbike.

However ZX6R's seem to be great value at the moment, not sure why. I saw a 2008 for sale recently, mint, with 21k on the clock for £2500. That is CHEAP for what you're getting.

slowside
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:28 - 19 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
£2.5k? Not sure. For a first bike I'd probably go for a Hornet or Fazer if I didn't want a full on sportsbike.

However ZX6R's seem to be great value at the moment, not sure why. I saw a 2008 for sale recently, mint, with 21k on the clock for £2500. That is CHEAP for what you're getting.

I have also noticed this, have watched a few on ebay and they are very cheap for what you get. I can only assume it is owners who have moved onto one of the new breed of 1000s who are selling them on for just above what they have been offered in PX.

slowside
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:51 - 19 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I recently passed and got the full A... and then got an A2 bike Shocked It suits my needs though. I was quite surprised that a few of the 600 to 650 bikes I was previously looking at weren't earth-shatteringly more powerful than the bike I have now...

Anyhoo, after my dismal failure at resurrecting an old Fazer 600 I think I'd probably go for one of those (a working example though) and use the money left over from this mythical £2500 to really give it a good service.

I quite liked it - even though I only sat on it and turned over the engine - and generally ppl's opinion of it was it was a great all-purpose bike.

I read through some of your threads with interest. As it happens, once I get my licence back from the DVSA the Rebel 500 is on my list of bikes for a test ride. I don't ever expect to own one, but I really want a go on one after Ryan F9's review on YouTube.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:15 - 19 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowside wrote:
I read through some of your threads with interest. As it happens, once I get my licence back from the DVSA the Rebel 500 is on my list of bikes for a test ride. I don't ever expect to own one, but I really want a go on one after Ryan F9's review on YouTube.

If you get on okay with your local dealer try both the Rebel and the CB500F; I'd be curious to hear a comparison.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:40 - 19 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something to do the TET with and/or a 1L V-twin. Most likely a falco.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:17 - 19 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:
Something to do the TET with and/or a 1L V-twin. Most likely a falco.

Falco's are definitely 'my era'. They still give me the fizz.

slowside
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:39 - 19 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
slowside wrote:

If you get on okay with your local dealer try both the Rebel and the CB500F; I'd be curious to hear a comparison.

As it happens there is a fairly big Honda dealer local to me so I can probably manage that. I don't think I'd buy either, but it would be fun to give them a go.

To be honest since I'm so low on funds at the moment, my plan is to fill the coming months with test rides to get a range of bikes ridden whilst I save for a purchase.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 245 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3