Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Thoughts on windscreens

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:02 - 20 Aug 2019    Post subject: Thoughts on windscreens Reply with quote

Going up and down the A3, not many miles but almost every day and I'm wondering if I'd benefit from a windscreen?

The choices seem to be variations on traditional:

https://www.motorcycle-exhausts.co.uk/thumbnail/500x500/userfiles/images/sys/products/Puig_Touring_Screen_HONDA_CMX500_REBEL__201718_47191jpeg.jpg

And stylish but minimal:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/6QcAAOSweTFcleB6/s-l300.jpg

Probably only be doing ~60mph would either of these make any noticeable difference?

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:23 - 20 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to be careful with these as sometimes the taller ones make things worse by directing even more blast or buffeting at your head.
The smaller one would help more than you would think, and the little space behind might be useful to stash gloves or something while filling up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:23 - 20 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone is correct.

Large ones need to be large enough to direct the wind blast completely over you which is fine but makes for a pretty big piece of kit.

Small ones can be quite effective, the difference between nothing on my STR and the little bit of plastic shown on the bike in below picture was quite profound.

Get it wrong and it can be bloody horrible in many ways.

https://i.postimg.cc/4NMS0rGg/100-0173.jpg

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:46 - 20 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! The factory option is the bare minimum:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/~gQAAOSw2qdbet4h/s-l500.jpg

...except for the price, £300 Shocked

I like the look of the second one I posted - hides all the cables behind the clocks. Nice to know it might also be better too! Thanks, guys Smile

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:51 - 20 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CB400 has a small screen, I am not sure how much of a difference it makes either. I'd need an extended high speed ride to notice, by the time I get home and remove it and go back I wouldn't be able to remember how different it was Laughing

I think it mostly gets air off the chest, I've played with it with my hand up and down to see where the air flows like a little kid, the CB is too upright, a more lean friendly bike would probably be be inside the pocket. I miss the old Fazer from the school, it made me want to relax on the tank....

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:28 - 20 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike is noticeably windier without the front number board fitted. It works well as a mini screen.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:18 - 20 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screen on my S1000RR stops flies but not pigeons or much wind.

If I don't wear a helmet I can get my chin on the tank and the wind goes over my head. But I wear a helmet. Smile

Screen on my K1300 is adjusted electrically for angle of dangle.

Its the extended height option but it actually could do with about 15-20mm more as at M/way speed there is still a lot of buffeting.
If I jook my big heid doon just a notch then I'm in a dead air zone. But it's not comfortable to sit like this.

No amount of phaphing with the angle helps this.

I bought a thing to clamp onto the screen to help this. The acrylic blade was blown off 1st outing. I left if not too tight so I could adjust the angle on the move.
I refuse to replace it as they want all the £85 to replace whole McGubbins when it is only acrylic blade part and the little CNC Alyooloominum hinge bit that is missing.
They sell the acrylic but not the metal bits. Bastirts.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:18 - 20 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found windblast on my Street Twin to try and rip my arms off at motorway speeds; must be something to do with the aerodynamics, because my ER5 at the same speeds, despite neither having a screen, is a much calmer place to be.

I fitted a Dart flyscreen, pretty small (about the size of an A4 sheet of paper I'd guess) makes a big difference. It's still a naked bike, I still get flies splattered on my visor and wet when it rains, but I can cruise at motorway speeds and not feel like I'm hanging on for dear life.

FWIW, I attached a relatively cheap Puig screen to my ER5 . . . no noticeable difference! But it does protect the (poorly sealed) clocks from rain/spray

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 20 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had W650 in the past, I attached smaller GIVI screen at first and regretted it. Bikes with more upright riding position like W650 or Rebel needs larger screen than sporty naked in my opinion.
Later I added chic design large screen and it worked perfectly.
Screen design is also important I think.
https://i.imgur.com/AmWwrD0.jpg
But rebel seat is much lower than W, so smaller screen may work better on Rebel than W.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:16 - 20 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to fight the wind, if you're too lazy to just keep your head down at high speed, is to buy proper helmet and jacket. If you ride in a cheap lid, the noise level and even the way ram air shakes your head (because not every lid is aero optimised in a wind tunnel and some design maybe look cool, but make things worse), does not really add to your riding comfort, nor does a jacket that blows up like a balloon, or creates ''scoops'' that disrupt the airflow (your becoming a sail/air brake).

Also, make sure the ram air is not getting into your jacket sleeves.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:29 - 20 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only a cheap helmet but I only really notice the wind with it when I turn my head for a lane check at 60 mph Smile My jacket is good too, no problems with "ballooning" once the collar and cuffs are zipped up.

What I notice is at ~50mph I can sit bolt upright and just cruise down the road in comfort but 60 I have to duck down Thinking It's manageable but may as well try and make life easy if there's an option to!

Option 1 is cheap and available in the UK, option 2 a bit more expensive and has to come from Thailand Sad I think I'll try the former and report back how I get on.
Evotion This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:22 - 21 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a Yam XJR1300, and on riding it home having just bought it I couldn’t get on with the wind. Give me a faired bike any day.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:45 - 21 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the way to work today I really tried ducking down on the fast bits and it helped a little. And not too much bother on this bike - the joys of being short of a reasonable size Smile

From what I've read about the sort of screen I've ordered the wind will hit you smack in the face if you sit bolt upright but I rarely do that anyway unless crawling through a 20mph zone.

Bad news: the screen's on back-order and won't be sent out till next week; no quicker than ordering from Thailand at this rate Sad

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:45 - 22 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evotion wrote:

+1 for these clip on deflector things, I put one on my MT09 Tracer and it made a world of difference. Barely any wind buffeting until you start going into triple digits.

I put a double-bubble thing on my FZ6 to replace the OEM screen and was the worst thing I ever did, aimed all the wind from my chest, straight up into my face, anything above 60 was unbearable wrenching my head back, constantly having to tuck under it.

Obvious YMMV depends entirely on your bike, riding position, height etc. etc.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:08 - 23 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:

I put a double-bubble thing on my FZ6 to replace the OEM screen and was the worst thing I ever did, aimed all the wind from my chest, straight up into my face, anything above 60 was unbearable wrenching my head back, constantly having to tuck under it.

I did the same with my Gen 1 Busa. Fitted a double bubble. It lasted 1 ride out before it got changed back to standard for the same reasons as above.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:59 - 03 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the screen turned up early this morning. Quite easy to fit!

Back of the first bracket:

https://i.imgur.com/4NgwyrT.jpg?1

Both brackets fitted:

https://i.imgur.com/QeR3eah.jpg?1

All done, with the help of my sub-minimum wage assistant:

https://i.imgur.com/rmoZJZG.jpg?1

Bit of a change, riding along at moderate speeds, wind noise is up but buffeting is down to almost zero. Will try and give it more beans tomorrow on the way to work.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 235 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1