Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Iron Out - Wish I had found this stuff years ago.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:02 - 20 Aug 2019    Post subject: Iron Out - Wish I had found this stuff years ago. Reply with quote

It's not often I wax lyrical over a product but this stuff today has totally blown me away.

I neglect the wheels on my work bike terribly because they are a bugger to get in all the nooks and crannies.They get caked with in-grained dirt and brake dust that simply washing won't move. Last time I cleaned the back wheel up it took a couple of hours of sore-fingered rubbing with cutting compound and because I'd done it a few times before it's now started wearing through the yellow paint. So I left the front wheel dirty that time in pure disgust.

Fast-forward to today and my daughter got recommended to this stuff after some clumsy basted managed to get grinding dust in the paintwork of her car. She sprayed this all over and it dissolved out all the damage, it turns the iron particles purple and they just wash out.

Just for kicks she sprayed my filthy dirty front wheel and 5 minutes later ran the jetwash over it - 90% of this impossible to shift dirt just washed off. One more treatment and the wheel looks like a new one.

This stuff. Get it from Halfords.

https://shop.autofinesse.co.uk/iron-out-500ml

Also works wonders on shiny metal parts and is safe for paintwork.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:20 - 20 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used this stuff last weekend and it was very good too same type of stuff.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/815Eca6dGJL._SL1500_.jpg

No before unfortunately

https://i.imgur.com/IVABryy.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ReQYlYX.jpg

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:01 - 20 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

....I’m going to buy some.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 20 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use what is likely the same stuff, in a different bottle/brand (Devils Mist Fallout remover). Cleaned up the white 8 spokes a treat. Amazing stuff, shifts shit that nothing else touches.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:47 - 20 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using Iron X and Bilt Hamber Korrosol for years. Not a secret to those with an interest in detailing.
This one always gets people raving about it as you can see it doing its thing. 95% of vehicle owners wouldn't know
what iron fallout was if it bit them on the arse. But 100% of them will have wheels coated in the stuff. You can't wash
it off unless you use an appropriate product. I have diamond cut polished alloys on the Mazda, they will be stripped and
sealed for the winter in the next couple of months.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 20 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used this before
https://www.autobritedirect.co.uk/products/purple-rain-30--gel-based-fallout-remover/ad-purplerain-3-5l

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:11 - 20 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing it's acid based so repeated use might have negative effects especially if some was accidentally left in brakes or got in bearings.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:59 - 20 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
I'm guessing it's acid based so repeated use might have negative effects especially if some was accidentally left in brakes or got in bearings.

Ph neutral, apparently

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:05 - 20 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:

Korrosol is for use on bodywork so as acid goes it's pretty safe. It's a neutralised acid. Ready for use straight out
of the container so no dilution to get wrong.

https://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/bilt-hamber-korrosol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cceLl8hkXnQ

One Ball 1971
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:27 - 21 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one I've heard of is dragons breath because it stinks but works well apparently. As already been said, all much the same product, just different packaging.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:17 - 21 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

One Ball 1971 wrote:
Another one I've heard of is dragons breath because it stinks but works well apparently. As already been said, all much the same product, just different packaging.

Yup, the stuff I use honks to all fuck. But damn it works, it shifted ground in shit off wheels that hadnt been cleaned, then not used, for years. And didn't fuck the nearly 30yr old white powdercoat.

grr666 wrote:
Not a secret to those with an interest in detailing.

Not being into detailing (I usually ride a rat, I clean it by adding more paint), this is new, unknown awesome shit.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:36 - 21 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
I clean it by adding more paint

Wub

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 21 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
...I clean it by adding more paint...

Filler primer, off the shelf spray paint and a bit of lacquer (and some rim tape), total cost per wheel about £12
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 21 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:
...I clean it by adding more paint...

Filler primer, off the shelf spray paint and a bit of lacquer (and some rim tape), total cost per wheel about £12

If the rat needs more paint, anywhere, it gets it. Poundlands finest matt black. The bike equivalent of a Number 1 all over. Not fucking around with them, it's a rat, and that's a lot of faff.

If the Viffer wheels need tarting up, then they get blasted and powdercoated. Not fucking around with those, the 8 spokes are sought after - Probably worth half what the bike is worth total.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:56 - 26 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use baby wipes and that cleans everything off.

If the the dirt is that bad then just a bit of paraffin or WD40 on the baby wipe does the job.

but generally i just use baby wipes to clean all the chain lube off my back wheel and front sprocket housing.

a pack of baby wipes is always under my seat on the bike.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:31 - 26 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:
I just use baby wipes and that cleans everything off.

Off of babies perhaps. They will NOT remove iron fallout.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:47 - 26 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic. I had wondered what physical attributes made brake dust so hard to remove.
Quote:
Iron particles have a microscopic outer edge that is very jagged. Unlike some sand grains that can be almost perfectly smooth, iron particles are very jagged and uneven. Iron also oxidizes, creating iron(III)oxide particles that have an even more jagged outside. These particles with their rough edges can get stuck to any surface really easily. The surface of paintwork for example is not completely flat when you look through a microscope, and these microscopic “hills and valleys” can be the place where these particles get stuck. When iron oxidizes, the surface expands a bit, which might cause them to get really stuck in there.
Read the original article at: https://www.detailingwiki.org/decontaminating/what-is-a-fallout-remover/

I had partly blamed flaking wheel paint (now repainted) on wheel-cleaner products which were acidic, or certainly felt so on bare hands. I could still be right -
Quote:
Although most fallout remover are pH-neutral, the microscopic reaction with the iron particle is very acidic, although the acidic reaction is very localized.

-but I also used to scrub the green wheels and it sounds like I was dragging those jagged-edged iron particles across my once lovely paint. I'm not so fastidious with the Yamaha's black wheels.

These days the problem is much reduced because I use gear oil on the drive chains instead of commercial aerosol waxes which used to make a sticky grinding paste with any passing dirt and then weld itself to paint.

The main ingredient of most fall-out removers is also used as a hair remover.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:42 - 26 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is iron fall out?

sounds nuclear lol

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:56 - 26 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:
what is iron fall out?

sounds nuclear lol

Hot particles of metal brake disc material ejected under heavy braking and collected on the wheel where it burns into the surface of the paint.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:41 - 27 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

The main ingredient of most fall-out removers is also used as a hair remover.

Is Immac cheaper? Razz

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:34 - 31 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but probably a lot more painful.
That shit burns.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 237 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1