Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bigger Bike on CBT

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

IronAngus
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:48 - 21 Aug 2019    Post subject: Bigger Bike on CBT Reply with quote

Hello there Wink

I'm 31, just got CBT but don't want to sink another £500-700 on full licence; what would actually happen if the old bill caught me on a 500/600cc Cruiser (think classic Honda Rebel or Yamaha Virago)??

Would it be; slap on the wrist, fine, points, bike impounded, prison sentence, execution?? How serious are we talking here??

Yes I know; shouldn't break the law and should piss away my meager income on paperwork, etc etc

Never been in trouble with the police before, clean record, live in Norfolk if that means anything...

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:54 - 21 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing you wouldn't be able to insure it, second thing riding a bike without insurance is guaranteed to get you disqualified fined and a possible jail sentence, get a 125cc and pootle about on that until such time as you get your full licence, or go and do your full licence then you can ride anything Thumbs Up

edit: you would also be riding without a licence

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 21 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a Fireblade, stick CBR-125 stickers on it. Literally nobody would ever know. Liar

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:28 - 21 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride around with no licence, no tax, no insurance... sure, that'll be totally fine Rolling Eyes

So what you'll have to do is never cross the path of any traffic cops (ANPR) or draw the attention of ordinary plod. Never pass an ANPR camera. Oh, and you can't have the V5 in your name obviously so you can add defrauding the DVLA to the list.

I dunno about you but the thing I like about cruisers is the nice relaxed ride. Worrying about all the above doesn't sound very meditative.

Personally I couldn't afford to drop a bag to get a licence straight away so I did the theory one month, Mod 1 the next and finally the Mod 2. I still had a 125 to ride around in the meantime, no big deal.

Getting a licence isn't just a bit of paper it's a commitment to training that ensures you and those around you are safe on the road.

You live out in the sticks? By all means get a 250cc dirt bike and tear about in some fields (with the owner's permission) if you must get a "big bike" fix but don't go out on the road and endanger the rest of us please.

IronAngus
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:40 - 21 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah fair enough; 125 for now it is :/

Couldn't find a straight answer through Google as to what the consequences would be so thought I would register and ask here.

Incidentally if anyone reading this is selling a 125cc Cruiser in Norfolk please get in touch.

Cheers Thumbs Up

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:54 - 21 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

riding a bike you dont have a licence for is no different to using any other vehicle you dont have licence for

If you have no licence, how will you get insurance? That would probably be the heavier offence than no licence; bike would be siezed and impounded and unless you could produce an insurance ticket within the week, crushed. Similar for tax which if you have no insurance would be hard to.

And what are you getting for this criminal genius?

JUST go get a chuffing licence.

That's what you'd do if you wanted to drive an HGV or tractor or whatever.

Saving £700 for a DAS course? Ha!

If you cant afford to spend that much to get on two wheels, dont bother, its a drop in the ocean when you start totalling up crash hats and water proofs and stiff!

Or stick to pretending to be a Learner on a 125 and L's... you know its no great impediment... a 125 is often just as quick as anything else can legally go ion this country, and still break a lot f speed limits before it stops accelerating, if you are complete tit!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

IronAngus
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:07 - 21 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

Saving £700 for a DAS course? Ha!

If you cant afford to spend that much to get on two wheels, dont bother, its a drop in the ocean when you start totalling up crash hats and water proofs and stiff!

I'm only on minimum wage for now but points taken; I'll just have to take it slow and save.

Thanks again.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 21 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

So what you'll have to do is never cross the path of any traffic cops (ANPR) or draw the attention of ordinary plod. Never pass an ANPR camera. Oh, and you can't have the V5 in your name obviously so you can add defrauding the DVLA to the list.

While I'm not advocating he does it

Sod ANPR, insure the thing fraudulently (then tax it) and it won't ping it.

Not sure why the name on the V5 would be defrauding the DVLA? Why would you even use a false name... I don't think ANPR flags the licence status of the registered keeper?

With the current state of policing I'd bet the chances of getting caught are pretty minimal.

If caught though the points (12-18 total), likely ban (minimum year) and possible fine (150% of weekly income on the no insurance & I think 50% on no licence) will make him think "should have just got a fucking licence".

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:20 - 21 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I laid it on with a trowel but if you have the bike registered in your name and that name only says "provisional licence" it's a reason for the plod to get interested in your business... but then we're talking about general all-over lawbreaking so I guess it doesn't really matter. (I don't know if fibbing to the DVLA is what you call "fraud" but I try not to mess with official paperwork!)

When I sold my Golf years ago I already had another car so it'd been sitting about a bit. Had a potential buyer so I thought I'd have a quick burn in it to clear out the cobwebs...

5 mins on the road and I got pulled over by an unmarked police car! Thankfully I'd paid for temporary insurance for the weekend - the police computer just hadn't caught up.

That's the thing with the police: you'll go a year not seeing any (especially in the sticks) and then, just when you need to get somewhere important in a hurry, up they pop Sad

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 21 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serious question: if you're going to do that, why bother with the CBT?

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:36 - 21 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
Serious question: if you're going to do that, why bother with the CBT?

This.

Do it, get caught, lose your bike, lose your licence and pay a seriously hefty fine good luck getting insurance when you get it back. One less twat on the road works for me.

Lets add them up.

Riding without the terms of your licence 3-6 points up to a £1000 fine
Riding without valid insurance 6 points and up to £2500 fine

Bike you just paid a good bit of money for gets crushed

Thats if you are lucky and get caught by the old bill
You could get really unlucky and crash into someone and then you'd probably be in serious trouble

Or you could pay £700 and do it legally.

Or, if you are too tight to pay for the training, buy yourself a big bike, get it insured for the test as a learner and get it transported to and from mod 1 and mod 2 for you "by a mate" and then do your test yourself with no training. You never know you might pass all by yourself. Many have.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

slowside
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:56 - 21 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Objectively, you could probably get away with it for a while at least with the UK police force spread as thin as it is. Though out in the sticks the traffic plod might have a bit more time in their hands perhaps.

But.... You’d constantly be looking over your shoulder waiting for the day you get collared. In what can, at times, be a stressful enough mode of transport as it is, don’t give yourself the extra distractions.

I’ve been on my 125 for a couple of years. Haven’t hated any of it, it’s as quick around town as anything else, and since it’s taken the place of my car it has already paid for itself and my DAS in saved running costs.

I’m still looking for a big bike to replace it with, but to be honest I’m in no rush.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:09 - 22 Aug 2019    Post subject: Re: Bigger Bike on CBT Reply with quote

IronAngus wrote:
what would actually happen if the old bill caught me..

Never mind IronAngus: you'll need an iron anus.

IronAngus wrote:
..live in Norfolk..

I don't think you've quite got the hang of not getting detected.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 01:17 - 22 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owh-Kay.. NMW... well if bike is way to work wheels then you need do everything to preserve that way to work, or you don't get paid. If its just for fun.. then how much money you got to spend on fun? And is ANY bike, let alone a road bike the best VFM you can get for that fun-money?

You need cheap way to work wheels, no more no less.

Start at the back end and what would be the CHEAPEST way to work? Depends on distance and possible busses / lifts, B-U-T any personal motorised transport WILL NOT be anything like the cheapest way to work. Etch that idea in your memory right at the start. Walking or a push-bike will be the best VFM, but hey, inconvenient and takes effort.. BUT you want NOT to waste money that what you got to accept.

NOW, 125 on L's, not especially exiting, but as said, they are as fast as any-one is legally allowed to go in this country... how quick do you want to loose the licence you dont actually have right now, and how many fines can you afford? Rather blunts the cheaps you is looking for that does and remember you can crank up offences and fines and speeding tickets on a 125 just as easily as on a bigger bike....

Worth noting is the points and fines for missing or damaged or non regulation L-Plates... you can get wopped with expensive fines and licence points without even trying very hard, or being particularly daft....

This alone is good reason to consider IF NOT doing a DAS course at LEAST, NOT sitting it out on CBT and L's pretending to be a learner dodging tests, but manning up to do them on the bike you got to ride on L's..

sure it will only be an A1 125 'only' licence, but, only costs approx £130 to do the full suite of tests and ditch the retched L's and IF you aren't good enough to pass tests what the chuck you doing trying to dodge them commuting without a licence?

Worth noting that the tests are the exact same ones whether you are testing for an A1 125 only licence, an A2 45bhp 'restricted' licence or a full-fat Ride-What-You-Like A licence...

if you can do it on a 125 you should be able to do it on ANYTHING (with a little familiarisation on the bigger heavier bike) If not.... you are an accident looking for a place to happen whatever you ride or licence you dont have....

And ULTIMATELY if you can afford a bike, ANY bike you can afford to get a chuffing full licence of some description, to ride it on,

and MONEY is not an excuse.... if you can cant afford £30odd to pay for a Hazard/Theory test £15ish to pay for a Mod 1 and £90 to pay for a Mod 2... how the heck Can you afford petrol, and what will you do when the thing needs a new pair of tyres or brake pads? So if you cant afford to take tests you probably cant afford to ride anything, A-N-D if you cant pas tests then you are an accident in waiting and that both hurts and costs IME....

STUFF the bike, and what bike you may ride or what you could get away with.... GO GET A LICENCE!

If not old enough for A2 or RWYL A at least self book and take tests for A1, on the bike you intend pretending to be Lerner on; you will NOT have to repeat CBT to keep riding EVER, you will get to carry pillocks.... sorry pillions... if you want, use motorways. if you want, ride abroad, if you want, etc etc etc, and you CANNOT be nicked and fined for missing/damaged/illegal Looser-Plates.

SO if cash is short... well, a repeat CBT in 2 years time for £130, OR do A1 now for the same money... or the same money in fines 'just' for a missing/damaged/illegal L-Plate? Let alone riding other than in accordance with licence entitlement on a bike over 125cc and without insurance or anything else!!!!

THIS is how you start to make useful economies, if you are on a restricted budged, by NOT wasting money on aspirations and shear ego....

AT some point down the line WHEN you might be able to afford lessons/DAS course... well, you already have a full licence, you know and instructor should know you know the score and already CAN pas bike tests... ALL you need training up for is to do it on bigger heavier more powerful bike, and having done it once you stand far better chance of passing it again, with as much or less expensive training, so you stand good chance of saving your £125 over yet again there!

Its fools economy, really, there's every reason to go get a licence..

trying to beat the system either not taking tests sand pissing about on L's and repeat CBT for however long or trying to dodge tests riding whatever, be it an unrestricted Or tuned learner ILegal 125 or bigger full licence bike; you are NOT some criminal mastermind, or gaining any real benefit from it... JUST go get a licence, ANY bludy licence... Even a 125 only A1, 125's are still usually as fast as ANY bike or any cc can legally go in this country and bigger bikes are usually just a bigger waste of money, so of you are tight on cash to start with a bigger bike, legally or not IS NOT a great way to make the little you might have stretch, is it? Before fines or crashes, how likely they may be or how much they may cost.

Have I said GO GET A LICENCE!!!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:46 - 22 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've been told lots about what could happen, I think the reply from wr6133 is the only reply which gives a good idea of what probably would happen as for anything to happen you first would have to draw enough attention to yourself for plod to take an interest in you.

"I don't think ANPR flags the licence status of the registered keeper? "

I'm not sure about that. Every so often on the police interceptor programs or similar there's something where they've pulled someone over and say how their system shows that the registered keeper only has a provisional license blah blah blah etc etc etc

You could end up with points, a fine, a ban and having the vehicle seized if you were unlucky and got caught. If you were going to be on any type of bike other than a cruiser then you'd have the option of going full #bikelife and not stop for the police. Laughing

All of that aside and as everyone else has already said, stick to a 125 when you've only got a CBT and sort out getting your full license as and when funds allow. Thumbs Up

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:04 - 22 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Ste"]

"I don't think ANPR flags the licence status of the registered keeper? "

I'm not sure about that. Every so often on the police interceptor programs or similar there's something where they've pulled someone over and say how their system shows that the registered keeper only has a provisional license blah blah blah etc etc etc

[/quote]

It doesn't, not automatically at least. It only provides vehicle documentation info, insurance info, special alerts and intelligence markers.

It's easy enough to use the info it does provide to do other checks though. The only reason it would auto flag an unlicensed driver is if someone has dobbed you in or you've been caught before and there's an Intel marker put on.

Chances are you would get away with it for a while of smart but lots of people do get caught every day and all it takes is one bump, one interested cop or one complaint for you to be discovered. There isn't a cop in the country that would let you off with no license/insurance. Minimum if caught would be vehicle seized, 6 points (probably more and a ban is likely) plus a hefty fine that you'd have been better putting towards a license.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:03 - 22 Aug 2019    Post subject: re Reply with quote

if you can't afford DAS but can afford a 600cc bike, buy 600cc bike, insure with bikesure? unsure which ones insure 600s to learners these days, slap L plates on it, practice on "private roads", whack it in the back of a van or get a mate who is insured on it to pillion you there to test centre (need to remove Ls for this then put Ls back on) and do the tests, adding it all up might be just as expensive if not more than DAS

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:22 - 22 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to do it legally you could move to Ireland and get a CBT for a big bike or travel back in time before the bike licensing was screwed up.

Easy-X wrote:

Getting a licence isn't just a bit of paper it's a commitment to training that ensures you and those around you are safe on the road.

Laughing

eifion
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:14 - 04 Oct 2019    Post subject: Re: Bigger Bike on CBT Reply with quote

IronAngus wrote:
How serious are we talking here??

Worst case scenario? You hit someone, they fall over, hit their head and end up needing 24/7 care for the next 40 yrs.

Your insurance company go 'not me mate' as you shouldn't have been riding that bike in the first place, and all of a sudden you're on the hook for five or six figures.

Dirt biking alone around the fields in Norfolk? Might be worth the risk. On a public road around other people? Not worth it, not even close.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:15 - 04 Oct 2019    Post subject: Re: Bigger Bike on CBT Reply with quote

eifion wrote:
Worst case scenario? You hit someone, they fall over, hit their head and end up needing 24/7 care for the next 40 yrs.

Your insurance company go 'not me mate' as you shouldn't have been riding that bike in the first place, and all of a sudden you're on the hook for five or six figures.

They still have to pay out to third parties and there's the Motor Insurers Bureau.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 197 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1