Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cheap reliable bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:12 - 12 Aug 2019    Post subject: Cheap reliable bike Reply with quote

Yea I know oxymoron.

I'm looking for a cheap motorbike to get me from A-B no motorways mainly 30mph - 50mph roads.

I was thinking of buying a brand new Lexmoto or Sinnis 125 as they are very cheap at about £1500 brand new.

I could be tempted to buy an older bike but last time I asked this question on here I ended up buying a 97' CB500 which was a complete POS.
(I'm not great at spotting lemons although despite many bits falling off it never did let me down)

So I don't think I could be convinced on getting anything other then a 125 this time. Maybe a CBR250 at a push but I'd be really concerned that the sporty look would mean it would just get stolen(I live near London)

I could also be tempted to buy a YBR or CG 125 also but I'd need convincing as to why buying a used 2008 YBR with 20k on the clock is better then buying a brand new Lexmoto for the same price.

Also don't Lexmoto and Sinnis have a 2 year warranty?

Any tips would be appreciated. When I joined this forum back in the day I got rightly convinced that anything Chinese is bad but they have seem to improved in quality a lot in recent years so it is why I am attracted to them now.

Also my budget is ridiculously tight as I am going back to college so the high MPG and low running costs is needed.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 12 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my lads bought a brand new Lexmoto Arrow for about a grand as I recall
just getting to work an back sort of thing and it served him well for the two yeard he had it.
It was a plain and simple 125 with unspectacular performance and no stupid
'sexy looking' plastic shite.
It just worked.

I look after a 2010 YBR125 with 20K on the clocks for a guy and they're a better bike brand new
then say the Lex Arrow but I've had to change the engine, a clutch, plus chain&sprockets and wheel bearings
and quite a lot of other wee jobs for him in the last two years
so if buying second hand be very careful you dont buy a lemon.

I'd go for simple and reliable for a working bike

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:27 - 12 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Chinese 125 to learn on and now I have a Honda so both sides of the coin first hand.

Certainly recent examples of the former are better put together than a few years ago. Essentially what you're buying is a rip-off of Japanese designs from 20 years ago but this time round made with cheaper components.

Conversely if you bought a 20 year old Honda or Yamaha you'd definitely have some work to do to keep it maintained. However second hand and pattern parts are cheap and plentiful as is the knowledge to do so.

Don't sniff at quality though. The difference between the (almost) new Keeway I had versus my new Honda is night and day! Much as I enjoyed the regular maintenance on the former there is something to be said for having complete trust in a machine. Much as I loved the look of the Superlight it cornered and accelerated like a drunken, three-legged pig Sad

If you must buy a cheap Chinese 125 then go into it with honesty: buy it new and plan to drive it into the ground over at most a 3 year period. Expect to get nothing for it after that.

For a bit more of an "adventure" get a solid second-hand Jap bike for the same money. It'll take more work but feasibly you could keep it going forever. Or sell it for much the same as you paid for it if well maintained.

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:37 - 12 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd consider a Suzuki address or honda vision on PCP.

Would that be a good alternative?
All the delivery guys seem to use them.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:19 - 12 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam277 wrote:
I'd consider a Suzuki address or honda vision on PCP.

Don't get any bike on pcp, unless you're never going to get the bike dirty, and you're not going to ride more than 5 miles year !!, Ok, I exaggerated a little there, but, if pcp, really do your homework.

Most problems with chinese, or, any other 125 tend to stem from lack of knowledge on how to look after a bike, and, as such, i'd be very wary of getting a 2nd hand 125, not saying don't, but choose wisely, whatever make.

A new chinese bike, if looked after properly, really shouldn't give you any major problems, heck, even 15 years ago I was riding an 80 mile a day round trip 5 days a week to work and back on a very cheap chinese bike that I got in a crate !!.

There are plenty to go at, but yeah, look at Lexmoto, Sinnis, Mash, Keeway, AJS, Bullit and Herald, should be able to get something decent from any number of those.

Most 125's, even the euro 4 ones, are really simple and straight forward to look after, keep it serviced, maintain the chain, lube the cables, as and when needed, keep an eye on your brake pads and tyres, oh, and disconnect the sidestand switch, more grief than it's worth.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 12 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a Vision coming here tomorrow
its the YBR guys he does delveroo stuff with it
Its OK but 110cc and a bit 'lite'
PCX is much better IMO

I was going to suggest a scoot earlier but thought you might be a
"aint proper bike tho is it?" type
If all I did was flit about Bristol, a 125 scoot would be just the job
Bollox to the constant gear shifts and clutch grabbing just twist and go.
I may get one yet

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 12 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Struggling to understand why you'd be looking at spending £1500 on a brand new chinese motorbike when your biking history clearly demonstrates that you've owned larger capacity bikes and therefore have a full license. So, firstly, I'd say spend that £1500 on something not only larger than 125 cc but something that isn't chinese.

Lexmoto's are known as one of the better rebadgers but part supply can become a pain once they decide to drop the model.

I had a ZR7-S that can be had for £1500 (give or take) on eBay and fits the bill of commuting and the speeds you require with ease.

Get a larger bike without all the fancy gizmo's and there's not much difference between working on that and a 125. Wouldn't really limit yourself to bikes that make between 11-15 hp just because you had one lemon in the past.

Wouldn't fall for warrenty since you have to pay to keep it up and isn't worth it beyond about the second once (when the engine is worn in). I used my warrenty on the LM Arrow plenty of times but lost every single penny I put into it, and some more.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:38 - 12 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant fault the Arrow my lad bought, but YBR guy bought a brand new Lexmoto Urban scoot in 2018
About 9 months in he smelt petrol and swung by here
The support strut at top of the rear shock had bent upwards and punctured the tank!
WTF?
Pretty serious fault a for new machine that eh?

The waiting times for the dealer to sort it would have meant weeks of no earnings so I welded it up for him and a month later he got rear ended and it was scrapped.
Enter the Vision which he reckons is way better then the Urban.

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:11 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Struggling to understand why you'd be looking at spending £1500 on a brand new chinese motorbike when your biking history clearly demonstrates that you've owned larger capacity bikes and therefore have a full license. So, firstly, I'd say spend that £1500 on something not only larger than 125 cc but something that isn't chinese.

Because I don't need to go above 50mph
It will just be to get to work and college.
Also a 125 does crazy high mpg you cant get a big bike that does 130mpg.

Currently looking at a lexmoto valletta £1300 brand new and £90 a year to insure.

WD Forte I'd be happy with a twist and Go. All I need

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:12 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Zontes that looked wrecked for £300. Sold it for £600, after doing not much to it, other than sorting out the fact the previous owner had snapped the only ignition key in the petrol cap. Couple of years ago now . It still looks like crap, in fact it looks worse. It's still going, and the owner hasn't had any problems since I sold it to them.

Also, I agree, Lexmotos look almost appealing (budget wise that is)

edit: Also, at times I got absolutely crazy high MPG out of a Honda CBF125. Average I think was 120

https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/cbf125/2014/senthx/375333
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

someone
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 02:45 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will try to be diffrent here , why dont you get the bike you want but have a professional have a look .

you can always find good 2nd hand anything .

if its a friend he/she will do it for free , if a shop it wont charge much .

you can also bargin the price better this way!

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:34 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

Lexmoto's are known as one of the better rebadgers but part supply can become a pain once they decide to drop the model.

I had a ZR7-S that can be had for £1500 (give or take) on eBay and fits the bill of commuting and the speeds you require with ease.

Get a larger bike without all the fancy gizmo's and there's not much difference between working on that and a 125. Wouldn't really limit yourself to bikes that make between 11-15 hp just because you had one lemon in the past.

Wouldn't fall for warrenty since you have to pay to keep it up and isn't worth it beyond about the second once (when the engine is worn in). I used my warrenty on the LM Arrow plenty of times but lost every single penny I put into it, and some more.

There are many reasons why, it's a personal choice, although I still have my big bikes, I also still have a 125, and yes, it's a chinese 125. Oh, I also had an Arrow, I looked after it fine, did my own servicing, never needed to use the warranty, and would regularly use it along the M6 between Wolverhampton & Birmingham, never let me down, cracking bike. It was, however, a bike I made a huge mistake on, I part ex'd it for a Diversion 600, within a day I wished I had the Arrow back.

Also, regards warranty, that really depends on the dealer, there is a dealer not too far from here, that gives all their bikes a 5year warranty, and, you don't have to have the bike serviced by the dealer.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:43 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So ... a 2nd hand bike with no guarantees .... or a £1500 new chinese special with a 2 year warranty that is essentially disposable after the 2 years?

I think i'd go with the best Chinese thing i could find. Use the warranty if needed and slather the thing in ACF50 if you must use it either side of March / September.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:04 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam277 wrote:

But you'll die a little inside, get a real bike Laughing

Whenever I have to drive someone's automatic car (thankfully very rarely) I carefully explain how one half of the brain atrophies as there's no gear stick or clutch to work. Scooters are pretty much the same IMO - there's no challenge to them. Get a bike: push yourself to be more than you thought you could be!!!

Wink

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:47 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam277 wrote:

Also a 125 does crazy high mpg you cant get a big bike that does 130mpg.

Have you worked out the depreciation per mile a new 125 will have?
May well more than cancel out economy savings.

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:25 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
adam277 wrote:

But you'll die a little inside, get a real bike Laughing

Whenever I have to drive someone's automatic car (thankfully very rarely) I carefully explain how one half of the brain atrophies as there's no gear stick or clutch to work. Scooters are pretty much the same IMO - there's no challenge to them. Get a bike: push yourself to be more than you thought you could be!!!

Wink

I used to think like that. Which is why my first proper bike was a R1150GS.
My examiner was quite surprised when I turned up to test on it. I was also a skinny guy and when I dropped it I often struggled to get it back up. Laughing (by dropping it I mean stacked it trying get it onto the centre stand; happened more then once.)

As for autos vs manuals.
My favourite cars have all been automatics. BMW have nailed the autobox. Nothing quite like a inline 6 auto.
Also try driving a automatic smart car. They are hilarious like little go carts. Crazy acceleration up to about 40mph.

That being said if I was in the countryside with a load of twisties as a daily commute I would want a manual. But I don't. I live next to the A13 which is a long, straight and often heavily congested road.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 13:44 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Define 'Cheap'...

Cheap to buy or cheap to own?

My 125 costs 50% more a year to insure than my 750.... as that cost recurs each year, if I, personally, wanted cheap, as in total cost of ownership 'cheap', then NO 1256 would make the short-list....

Historically the bic biro 'cheapest' motorbike you could own was either a C90 step-thru, or a CD200 Benley.... as a C90 is subject to the 'Learner-Loading' the CD200 benley would be the baked bean budget favorite.....

RELIABILITY.... err yeah... depends on two things,
1/ the 'newness' of the behicle
2/ User standards of maintenence

User standards of maintenance are at best patchy, and the cock-roach reputation for indestructibility things like C90's and CG125's have, tends to get hyped to a reputation for 'NO' maintenance, leaving many to suffer terminal neglect.....

Back to that CD200 Benley.... I could probably rebuild one in my sleep these days.. so tackling the newness issue... take one, completely renovate it, make sure it has a full compliment of user miles in its metal..... and do enough maintenance after, and off you go..... some-one once actually calculated that mile for mile a c90 was actualy cheaper to run than a bic biro... and a CD200, mostyly thanks to that insurance allowance is even cheaper... nhow Cheap do you really want or need?

Given the all in costs of virtually ANYTHING, I wouldn't have so many qualms buying say an 'unreliable' Cagiva Mito 125 and paying the learner loading on it.... and it would prove as 'dependeable' as anything else, given £10 a litre two stroke at 40:1 to £1.60 per litre petrol..... and a propper top end rebuild every 2ooo miles and a new crank every 5ooo miles etc...... And owning a biken I actually have some enthusiasm to own, rather then mere transport.... or #I might as well just take the car!!!!

So WHAT do you really want?

There's no such thing as a free lunch!

IF you dont want to do any maintenence.. dont buy a budget generic chink.. seriuousely, the OE build quality is doen to the minimum that a developing asian market with low-labour service costs will stand.... in UK use it will either NOT be reliable as you have to keepn stopping to tighten up the mudguard bolts etc, OR it will not be 'cheap' as you have to keep paying a paid mechanic to check them nuts and bolts!!!

If you dont want to pay the learner loading on insurance DONT buy a 125... if you want to keep resale value... dont buy a commuter hack.....

So how cheap is cheap, and how reliable is reliable, and how much are you prepared to stick in the pot by way of cash or effort to get either?

Most ecconomical, most reliable washing machine like commuter wheels is probably a twist and go scoopter.... most are 125 Learner Legals, which brings the insurance loading, but also a better residua, so you would still have to frind the happiest compromise, and it STILL down to you.... there's no universal; answer to this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:10 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to like the CD200 Tef Smile

Is it the case that anything 175 to 250cc is a now in neglected market segment (everyone with an A2 would get >400cc) and therefore the realm of connoisseurs and statistically cheap insurance? Or is it just the Benly?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:57 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
You seem to like the CD200 Tef Smile

Perceptions can be deceptive, canb't trhey?
Easy-X wrote:
Is it the case that anything 175 to 250cc is a now in neglected market segment (everyone with an A2 would get >400cc) and therefore the realm of connoisseurs and statistically cheap insurance? Or is it just the Benly?

The Honda Benley, is a funny little thing; engineering wise it's an Over-Head cam twin, so has as many bits and aught cost as much to make as any other capav city OHC twin... BUT, Japan, in the 1950's to 1990's had preferential finance that made thier manufacture artificially 'cheap' on the world markets, which made the Benley ecconomically viable, a lot of cost-cutting design made it more so compared to Euro designs....

B-U-T.. rated at a declared 15bhp for the 200, and none of the varient engines, incluiding the CB-Two-Fifty, making over 20bhp, the only one that did the twin carb CD240U, something of an anomoly.... the little Benley motor has always been percularly under stressed and fuel frugal, epecially the single carb varients....

For thirty years, since the '82 125 Leanrner Laws, have meant that the 125 - to -400cc sector has been peculiarly ignored, especially in the UK. Any-one that can ride such a bike, can eqiually ride a much more exiting/intreresting 350+ offering.. Benley sits squarely in this sector, and has for mort of that time been a sore used and neglected commuter hack, and exceedingly cheap on the 2nd hand market, both because its so low-powered, unexiting and under stressed.. So they dont often pop up in the insurance stats hence get loaded for thefdts or crashes..... that helps keep insurance priced down, fact that the bikes tend to be so cheap too helpd more, fact that miser mile owners probably dont often put in an insurance claim, fearing loosing thier NCB or getting a policy loading for it, helpd more still.... as said my CB125 costs aprox £150 a year to insure, my CB750, aprox £100..... when Snowie was pn her 33bhp restricted licence, we quoted on a CD200 and that was something daft like £70 a year, and that would have been almost a decade ago!!!!

So theres a few reasons the CD200 could be cheap; top of the list is the fact that brand new, they actually weren't very, but unloved on 2nd hand market they were/are something of a bargain, fetching far more depressed priced for the quality of bike you get.. though that applies to most bikes in the sector, but whole sector something 9of a bargaiun basement and things like the Kawasaki GPz305, was always a bit fragile and especilly unloved, though did have a bit of oomph for the risk; Much newer CBR250, is that much newer and so likely to be that better standard, but modern looks make up for the added risk, if on modern A2 licence

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/49/Honda_Roadmaster_CD200_%281980%29.jpg/300px-Honda_Roadmaster_CD200_%281980%29.jpg

I actually dont like the CD200 Benley all that much... it's old fasioned looks and ride and particularly wire wheels dont endear it to me much.. B-U-T... it does have 'something' and if you arent constricted by a learner licence, its a LOT of biking for your buck..... Note its YOUR buck... Benley hasn'r and probably never will get any of mine! But they do have charm and they can be real miser milers... comfy ones, if not particularly fast or exiting!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:58 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

in UK use it will either NOT be reliable as you have to keepn stopping to tighten up the mudguard bolts etc, OR it will not be 'cheap' as you have to keep paying a paid mechanic to check them nuts and bolts!!!

What nonesense !! perhaps 15, years ago, not so much now. Of the chinese bikes I've owned, and it's been a few, that really hasn't been the case, nor, has it been the case for my daugter's Mash 50, or nephew's Direct Bikes 50 cc scoot, or, now his Lexmoto FMR125. Used both scoots everyday for college, and, has done a few return trips to Stoke on it where he starts uni in September, and, he really doesn't get the concept of maintainence or cleaning !!

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

What nonesense !! perhaps 15, years ago, not so much now. Of the chinese bikes I've owned, and it's been a few, that really hasn't been the case, nor, has it been the case for my daugter's Mash 50, or nephew's Direct Bikes 50 cc scoot, or, now his Lexmoto FMR125. Used both scoots everyday for college, and, has done a few return trips to Stoke on it where he starts uni in September, and, he really doesn't get the concept of maintainence or cleaning !!

And definitely not the case for my AJS JS-125 or my daughter's Lexmoto Hunter. Both are very well put-together machines.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:17 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine with the Chinese stuff, there are two potential issues: manufacturing tolerances (probably far less of an issue than it used to be though) and quality control on the assembly line, the latter is probably going to be evident pretty soon after purchase if something is loose etc.

That said, I'd not have any enthusiasm for a Chinese bike and would rather take a CD200 . . .

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:27 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also quality control of materials - where a few backhanders see some poorly recycled metal used, which is 30% melted plastic handles that were on the pans or whatever.

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:05 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Also quality control of materials - where a few backhanders see some poorly recycled metal used, which is 30% melted plastic handles that were on the pans or whatever.

Really? I think that's just a slur and I know you don't mean that they are made of candles and junk. I've come across a few people who have been very pleased with more recent chinese bikes. I just bought a 23 year old Honda CB250 Nighthawk and the guy who sold it to me had a very nice looking chinese 250 that belongs to his missus. They were selling their bikes as they don't ride them. This 250 single was a Bullit Hunt, but that's just a marketing name - it is the same bike more or less as the Sinnis Roadstar 250, or the Mash 250 or various other 250 singles. I think they are all made in a giant Chinese factory with different branding for the importers. There are minor differences between the brand names on some parts and badges obviously.

I had a good look at this Bullit Hunt thing and it was well put together, neat welds and decent looking kit on it. Best thing was that the three year old, 3000 mile bike in perfect and spotless condition was going for £1200!!

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:53 - 13 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your budget is ridiculously tight like you said then why do you want to buy a new bike for £1500 instead of finding a nice Jap bike for £800? Bit of a backwards way to look at it.

For me the main reason not to buy a new chinese bike is that in 3 years it will be worth £400 while something like a YBR will still fetch £800. Thats a lot of money to lose just so you can say you owned a new bike. I'd also wonder if you would want a bigger bike fairly quickly and then your stuck with a new bike that nobody will buy anywhere near what you paid.

If your worried about buying a lemon then find someone who knows about bikes and mechanics and take them along with you - might even be someone here that would do it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 258 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2