Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First vaping related death

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:00 - 24 Aug 2019    Post subject: First vaping related death Reply with quote

https://metro.co.uk/2019/08/24/first-vape-death-concerns-grow-safety-e-cigarettes-10623199/

I know its a metro link, but it looks like someone has died of lung disease related to vaping.

It looks like there is growing evidence to suggest its. Not really safe after all

Which I'm not really surprised about, during the short time i tried it before stopping smoking my chest and throat feel like shit, worst then when I smoked.

Link to the source from CDC.
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2019/s0823-vaping-related-death.html

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:08 - 24 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya gotta die of something. Look on the bright side - now you've got another choice of what to die of Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 24 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

True dat.

I just wouldn't choose lung disease/cancer as that something.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:18 - 24 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many folks get to choose what they die of, unless suicide is on your list of options. And you don't have to be a smoker/vaper to die of cancer.

Look on the bright side - death is another new experience Smile
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:45 - 24 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised that anyone is surprised TBH. Anyone who spent a few moments thinking about it would see that all those millions of tiny bottles produced without regulation in China for pennies at a time and sold at huge profit are likely to contain ingredients where cost is given first consideration and health only give as much consideration as necessary to keep them under the safety radar.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:51 - 24 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read to the end of the article - the illnesses relate to THC-vaping rather than the "traditional" nicotine type.

I would guess that given its variable legal status (as in THC is only legal at a state level in some places in the US) that the problem is either wholly to do with THC or, in my opinion, the low productions standards of US bottling plants.

Stop blaming the Chinese for everything you way-cyst Wink

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:06 - 24 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

By all means they should carry out research, and if proved harmful, publish the fact. But they should not be able to ban e-cigarettes! Has Australia also banned smoking tobacco, not to mention alcohol sales?

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 24 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't say that at all it quotes the president of the American vaping association as saying he was "confident" that the illness was cause by vaping cannabis or other synthetic drugs.

So theres nothing in that article to suggest it was cause by vaping THC. They haven't even ID'd the dead guy.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:18 - 24 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Read to the end of the article - the illnesses relate to THC-vaping rather than the "traditional" nicotine type.

I would guess that given its variable legal status (as in THC is only legal at a state level in some places in the US) that the problem is either wholly to do with THC or, in my opinion, the low productions standards of US bottling plants.

Stop blaming the Chinese for everything you way-cyst Wink

Yeah probably a dodgy THC extraction with some horrible chemicals left over.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:41 - 24 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Many of the cases involve vaping THC, the main active compound in cannabis, CDC experts said."

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:10 - 24 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
I'm surprised that anyone is surprised TBH. Anyone who spent a few moments thinking about it would see that all those millions of tiny bottles produced without regulation in China for pennies at a time and sold at huge profit are likely to contain ingredients where cost is given first consideration and health only give as much consideration as necessary to keep them under the safety radar.

Couldn’t agree more.
Seems a weird thing to do anyway

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:58 - 24 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

The blame also lies with our own authorities for not testing them or getting in the way of independent testing.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 24 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite

It does seem a little strange that they aren't more heavily regulated.

No only that but PHE are plugging them as a healthy way to quit smoking, dispite the relative lack of testing/control.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:40 - 24 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:

The blame also lies with our own authorities for not testing them or getting in the way of independent testing.

The law doesn't say that you mustn't put your hand in a fire but common sense does. That same common sense should tell you that you shouldn't heat up and breathe in random chemical smoke.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:01 - 24 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

The cheap horrible tasting crap is made in china, most e liquid is made here in the uk or the states.
I personally make my own, there really is only 4 ingredients , propyline glycol(used in ashma inhalers), vegetable glycerin, nicotine and water based flavouring.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 24 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

The law doesn't say that you mustn't put your hand in a fire but common sense does. That same common sense should tell you that you shouldn't heat up and breathe in random chemical smoke.

The effects of putting ones hand in a fire are pretty well understood and immediate, most parents teach children to not to touch fire/hot surfaces.

The effects of heating up and breathing chemical vapours are not well understood and you also have the government telling people its a safe alternative to smoking.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:45 - 24 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

I can see that switching from smoking to vaping would be a good idea if trying to give up.

What I cannot understand is non-smokers taking up vaping, and - worse - non-smokers taking up vaping using fluids with nicotine in them!

Thet must be really, really, really *stupid*. My son, for one.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:08 - 24 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
The effects of putting ones hand in a fire are pretty well understood and immediate, most parents teach children to not to touch fire/hot surfaces.

The effects of heating up and breathing chemical vapours are not well understood and you also have the government telling people its a safer alternative to smoking.

FTFY Smile

Vaping isn't safe... but neither is living in and around London! It's just a case of: is it safer than the alternative, i.e. smoking and it seems to be.

Totally agree about non-smokers vaping...

"Yeah, I was a total nancy as a kid... didn't smoke woodbines behind the bike sheds... I listened to my mum... stunts your growth she said... yes, I did get bullied at school. How did you know that?! Anyway, this triple choc crunch latte vape juice is awesome!"

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:12 - 24 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a 'just given up the ciggies' (again) person I had the choice to swap one habit for another.
Nicotine leaves the body pretty quickly so once past that it's just the mechanics of smoking to get over...the hardest bit.

I can see how vaping helps with that. You can still reward yourself with a vape after an activity or a meal or whatever.

Unfortunately for me I get addicted to pretty much anything really easily so I could foresee me tugging on a vape like a monster.

Those who can do the social vaping/smoking thing....I envy them.

Just got to pack in the heroin the cocaine and the crystal meth and I could live for another year or two. Dance!

Speaking of smack, an old mate of mine managed to give it the boot, then almost a decade of the green liquid.
He's tried giving up the smokes but says it's more difficult than heroin.

This time it feels pretty easy...sure I'm getting the night sweats...the dreams and irritability but yeah without jinxing myself I may have it behind me now.

I'm a non-smoker who could inhale a garden bonfire with ease.

Asharin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 24 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been vaping for just over a year lol, gave up smoking just before my recent year of hell...would probably have given up vaping by now too, but I'd have ended up smoking again with all this stress. Maybe next year eh? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
That's if I don't cark it from a mystery vaping related lung disease of course Very Happy

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 24 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asharin wrote:
I've been vaping for just over a year lol, gave up smoking just before my recent year of hell...would probably have given up vaping by now too, but I'd have ended up smoking again with all this stress. Maybe next year eh? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
That's if I don't cark it from a mystery vaping related lung disease of course Very Happy

You're a lot safer than a smoker, then, who's still breathing in all that carbon monoxide and tarry shte.

Are you using nicotine vape stuff, I wonder? Have you tried reducing the strength (nicotine content) of the fluids?

No idea whether you want to stop or not, that's up to you. I'm just interersted.

I was lucky enough to be able to stop smoking just like that (snaps fingers). Yes, I know that nicotine isn't what causes harm, but that's the stuff that gets people psychologically addicted.

Asharin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 24 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I originally quit for 8 years, went cold turkey...was fine.
Ended up starting again during a stressful court case ( which I won, and got custody of my son). Things settled, time passed, decided to quit...but couldn't manage cold turkey this time :/ then my recent....life issues got in the way, so decided to just carry on vaping until things settle more.

Yeah I have reduced nicotine, on the lower stuff now, so won't be long before I try to knock it on the head Smile

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:47 - 24 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Not quite.

It says: "The president of the American Vaping Association, Gregory Conley, said in a statement on Thursday that he was ‘confident’ the illnesses were being caused by devices containing cannabis or other synthetic drugs, not nicotine."

The first possibility there is the device and user error as if the temperature is set (either as standard or set by the user) too high then that will mean doing more harm than vaping with the temperature set correctly.

Second possibility is cannabis, as The Artist says there's the risk of dodgy extraction which contained whatever unwanted chemicals. Counterfeit vape cartridges are are a growing problem in the states (and the UK) so people think that they're buying a high end product sourced from California but thanks to the quality control the black market has, they're actually buying a cheap knockoff.

Lastly there's the synthetic drugs possibility which could could either have been purchased knowingly or unknowingly. Either way, it's unlikely to end well.

"Nine young people have collapsed after unwittingly using a vaping liquid containing the synthetic drug Spice, it has emerged.

Health agencies have warned people to avoid products sold as "THC vape juice", "THC vape pens" or "THC oil".!

The only answer is to legalise, regulate and educate so that drugs and the markets are taken out of the hands of criminals.

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:21 - 25 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and the very last line:

"At least two people have previously died in the US after their e-cigarette exploded in their face."

So not the first death at all! It's amazing what levels of risk an addiction can make you ignore.

I'm with the you've-got-no-real-idea-what's-in-'em-or-what-it-will-do-to-you crew. But then I've never smoked, or vaped. I'm also wondering who's going to take the blame when in 10/20/30 years time, it turns out drinking shedfulls of artificial sweeteners is far worse than the sugar they replaced...

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:57 - 25 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

I can see that switching from smoking to vaping would be a good idea if trying to give up.

What I cannot understand is non-smokers taking up vaping, and - worse - non-smokers taking up vaping using fluids with nicotine in them!

Thet must be really, really, really *stupid*. My son, for one.

Probably the same reason people take up smoking in the first place, to be one of cool kids and because you initially get a buzz of the nicotine, it doesn't last long but there is a definite buzz.

After that your addicted.

What i don't get is people who start vaping on the non nicotine juice.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 236 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2