Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ZX9r Hard to pull away

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheGazWaz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:09 - 30 Aug 2019    Post subject: ZX9r Hard to pull away Reply with quote

Good afternoon all,

I've recently purchased my 1999 ZX9R C2 with 17k on the clock and in pretty fantastic condition for a 20 year old bike.

I've had it a week now and discovered a small issue. At first I thought it was just me getting used to a different bike but to pull away I have to give it some serious beans and slip the clutch loads or it will just bog.

As soon as your away it pulls absolutely perfect. It's just pulling away.

Any ideas?

Much appreciated.

Gaz
Went like this.. 43 years old(2013) decided to do CBT to get a 125 for new job. Bought 2011 YBR, loved it for three months then hated it because it was too god damn slow. Did DAS 4 months later then bought RF600 Loved it, sold it bought Bandit 1200(K3). EFFIN lOVED IT. Wanted something a bit more sporty so got Triumph Sprint ST 955i (53). Not sporty enough so now on my GSXR 1000 K3 and absolutely love it. 1 year down the line, nearly died way too many times on this bike. Sold it. Had a 6 month break. Missed biking so now, Aug 2019 have a 1999 ZX9r. What a beauty she is too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:53 - 30 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it run on all 4 cylinders?

Is it really 17K (miles?) engine in it? A very worn engine would rev happily yet being dead at low revs.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:40 - 30 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has someone been fiddling with the gearing? Correct number of teeth etc.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:24 - 30 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you let the handbrake off? 🤔

Does it roll to a stop or stop rather abruptly?

Could be the brake Clappers binding. 😲

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:25 - 30 Aug 2019    Post subject: Re: ZX9r Hard to pull away Reply with quote

Check the ram air etc cables if it's bogging.

Quite likely the carbs could do with a clean out whatever.

TheGazWaz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:16 - 30 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. MOTs and service history back the mileage up.

Had it on paddock stands and none of the breaks are binding.

Never thought about the sprockets though. It does seem to have a whole load of first gear. I’ll start counting teeth. If not then maybe pilot jets are blocked.

It it is firing on all 4. It’s not lumpy at all just needs lots of revs and clutch slip to get it off the mark. I’m 17 stone but even my old 125 gets going fine.

The bike is really clean and looks like it’s only done a few miles.

Only other thing wrong is head bearing has a notch in it so I’ve got bearings on order.
Went like this.. 43 years old(2013) decided to do CBT to get a 125 for new job. Bought 2011 YBR, loved it for three months then hated it because it was too god damn slow. Did DAS 4 months later then bought RF600 Loved it, sold it bought Bandit 1200(K3). EFFIN lOVED IT. Wanted something a bit more sporty so got Triumph Sprint ST 955i (53). Not sporty enough so now on my GSXR 1000 K3 and absolutely love it. 1 year down the line, nearly died way too many times on this bike. Sold it. Had a 6 month break. Missed biking so now, Aug 2019 have a 1999 ZX9r. What a beauty she is too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 30 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

""""""If not then maybe pilot jets are blocked. """"

I`ll go with that, they work mostly up to 2,-3000 rpm.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:53 - 30 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds more like a slight misfire to me, just appearing as you crack the throttle, then disappearing very quickly as you get past it. Can unscrew the ht lead into the plug cap to inspect/chop off a mm or 2 off the end and screw back in.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:58 - 01 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it do it from when you first start it? The only reason I'm saying that, with mine (E2), my temperature can jump up by 20 degrees at 1 set of lights, when it hits 105 degrees the fan kicks in and I have to rev it to about 5-6k otherwise it bogs down.

Before I cleaned and balanced the carbs the bike would cough and splutter and occasionally cut out when the fan kicked in, now the revs drop a little, but I still have to rev it a little higher when I hear/feel the fan kicking in.

TheGazWaz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:40 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely worse when the bikes cold but it carries on doing it when it's fully warmed up.

Temp seems stable. Warm running it sits at 4 bars. If I get stuck in traffic I get 5 bars then fan kicks in at 6 and everything goes back down to 4.

My friend had a go and he seems to think it's normal. He rides a ZX12R and says it needs loads of throttle and clutch slip to get it going. I'm begging to wonder if it is just me. I've had a good few bikes and I don't recall having this issue before.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:06 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`ve had a lot of bikes as well, your bike needs sorting.
Giving it a load of revs and slipping the clutch is a load of bollocks.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was out on mine yesterday and actually paid attention to my rev counter when moving away from lights etc... when the light changes I'm letting the clutch out slowly and the revs stay below 2k, (unless as I said previously the fan has kicked in then it's usually around 5-6k)

Silly question, have you tried adjusting the clutch cable?

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:51 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

""""""(unless as I said previously the fan has kicked in then it's usually around 5-6k) """"""""

Sounds like you have a problem as well.

The fan motor is taking too much current or the charging system is suspect or the battery is not holding / storing charge (amps).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 255 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1