Vote on my next bike project

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

What shall be my next bike project?
Yamaha DT175 twin-shock
72%
 72%  [ 13 ]
Random eBay 250 (probably 4-stroke, runner)
27%
 27%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 18

- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:19 - 01 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Lastly the single post important thing is that Ste is asking you for close up detail images of things, and not the other way around which is a position that you never ever want to be in! Laughing

TBH I was expecting "your wife's jugs." Standards must be going up on here Smile

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:37 - 01 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
A mate has a fully restored DT175MX (early monoshock) and a DT250, both of which I've ridden. I also had a DT-E125 twin shock as a kid.
The 175 is the better bike and great fun.
It's a lot more buzzy than the 250, which feels a bit lazy and thumperish. The 175 is only around 20bhp if that, but feels pretty lively. You can certainly life the front wheel on the throttle if you sit back on the seat. Thumbs Up

Being air cooled, they're very easy to work on too. Although that model will be points ignition, not CDI.

Yeah, my mate also went on at length about how it was the best thing since sliced bread Smile I suppose it's all about power-to-weight ratio. Glad it's a twin-shock though, I caught a video of someone swapping the spring on an early monoshock Shocked

I'm contemplating whether to go full resto, resto with invisible upgrades (12V system, electronic ignition) or a modern refresh...

When I say "refresh" I'm thinking more of using later Yahamha parts like handlebar switches from an 80s DT rather than full-on eBay generic shite.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:16 - 01 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forced wrote:
No bike runs AC lighting. If they did the bulbs would last seconds. Cut it out Teffers.

Pretty sure my 2004 Bullet did.

[edit] Yup.

https://www.bcmtouring.com/forums/attachments/wiringacjpeg1999fourwire-jpg.278215/
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 02 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had two DT175MX's, neither of which I believe for a minute were standard.

The brown one (field bike) was seriously pokey low down and could be wheelied through the box if you were so inclined. Never rode it on the road though.

The black one had a KMX front end and was a road bike, bit revvier / faster than the above but could still be wheelied through the box. I love them but i think a stock one might dissapoint...

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:57 - 02 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forced wrote:
I've had two DT175MX's, neither of which I believe for a minute were standard.

The brown one (field bike) was seriously pokey low down and could be wheelied through the box if you were so inclined. Never rode it on the road though.

The black one had a KMX front end and was a road bike, bit revvier / faster than the above but could still be wheelied through the box. I love them but i think a stock one might dissapoint...

Oh yes? So a disk brake front end? Sounds tempting Thinking

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 02 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep front end off a KMX 125/200. Bike was a bit of a lash up really but the disc front end was much better than the single sided drum.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:52 - 03 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the sound of a front disk, let's see how good the original forks are...

As mentioned, the wheels at the very least need new spokes. Couple of questions...

If the rims aren't twisted or dented would it be okay to sand 'em down and paint? I'm not going to stretch to re-chroming them!

And with regards to re-spoking wheels. Much harder than truing up bicycle wheels? Done loads of those over the years.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 201 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2