Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Buying and Selling motorbikes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Cookiemonster...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 08:54 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Buying and Selling motorbikes Reply with quote

Can I make a living doing this? I want to make a decent amount of money doing this on the side at least. I've got a lots and lots of tools- more than enough for working with bikes(abba equipment and all that) but I only have experience as an amateur mechanic working on my own.
I was thinking of getting bikes from auctions like Copart. I've seen as an example this Africa Twin which is a cat B and 26k miles and front end damage. https://www.copart.co.uk/lot/44627479
It says the retail value is 7000 but I know it won't reach that. It looks like the front end is bent. Say I don't know how to fix it and have to go to a professional mechanic, how much profit do you think I can make?
I would please appreciate some advice on this specific example, how I should choose a bike, good mechanics to go to if I can't do something myself and just doing this whole thing in general whether it's a good idea or not.
Edit: What about for parts? how many times more valuable is a bike in parts as opposed to whole?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:48 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing to note is that Cat B is a breaker, ie it shoudn't go back on the road. - the ad indicates there is no V5 and the DVLA have become much more switched on to not issuing V5s for Cat A/B vehicles, so I would assume you aren't going to get one.

Next it says unless it specifically states otherwise (and it doesn't) assume it's a non runner - if you can't get it running, that makes the single most valuable part of the bike virtually worthless.

That's potentially a big project for someone asking the sort of questions you are, I would be giving that a big swerve and starting with something more straightforward.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 09:58 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thought occurs, 'NO' simply.
Reasoning goes something like, if you are buying from auction, anything you 'win' will have first, only got to auction after a fair few folk with much more know how and a lot better contacts have deemed it Beyond Economical Repair... and b) you will have had to pay not just more than they would but also more than a lot of more clued up optimists that hope to get a 'cheap' fixer-upper....
Defeatist idea that if anything is beyond you, taking it to a pai9d pro, then adds more weight to the idea you dont have enough know-how to either spot candidates you coule more likely fix up, or fix them more cheaply...
But then the 'Paddy' argument that 'other folk' can and do if not make a living, at least make a profitable hobby from it, over=rides that and chucks you back in the frey on wing and a preyer of chance...
In short.. Yes and No... nut the business plan needs more work....
I wouldn't stake the day job on it, though.... and I dont have one!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Cookiemonster...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:04 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok then it'll have to be Cat Ns then that I buy. There are plenty of CatN's at auction and they run more than fine with only structural damage and they surely can't be uneconomical. I think I can fix them myself for sure.
Also there's been no mention of selling the whole thing for parts even if it's cat B or worse... Are there parts websites which can calculate how much a bike/car will be when sold in parts? (there are plenty with diagrams of the vehicle and price of each part but any with a function which can sum it all up?) I think I'm going to try fixing cat Ns and selling anything else for parts if I can't fix (Cat N's included). Is this a better idea do you think?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:42 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

For breaking to sell for parts, IMO you'd be better off buying second hand bikes in good condition rather than write offs.

Use eBay to work out what the parts from a particular bike should sell for. Complete set of undamaged fairings, tank, footpeg hangers, engine, frame with v5, forks, front brakes, subframe, clipons and the wheels with discs are all parts which will sell quickly and easily for popular sports bikes. Expect to have things like the swingarm kicking around in your garage for a while. Laughing

"There are plenty of CatN's at auction and they run more than fine with only structural damage and they surely can't be uneconomical"

I wouldn't count on it. Laughing

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

the warranty repairs usually soaks anything up
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:25 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have to ask, you probably won't.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it can be done, although not if you're a straight-down-the-middle sort of guy.

Take that Africa Twin, for example. Before I even clicked the ad, I assumed people were bidding silly money for an old wreck (the way "salvage" basket cases often sell for more than intact bikes on Ebay, perhaps because of bulk buyers and shill bidders). I look and check, and yes, someone has apparently bid £1300 for that bike. It will probably go much higher. But why?

As others have stated, a Cat B cannot go back on the road. Or can it? The bike could be broken for parts, the parts being stored in someone's garage and sold piece by piece over years. That's one way to profit, but it's no way to "run a business". The other is to put it back on the road. How? Well, find a bare frame with V5 (set aside at least £250 for this) and for some broken parts such as fork work, mudguard, etc. (set aside another £250 for these).

That's a lot of work and time and expense, and you're going in blind. You might not even find a 2017 Africa Twin bare frame with V5 for sale.

Just speculating here, but the realistic way to turn that bike into profit must be to strip it down, make good use of an angle grinder and welder to get rid of the VIN, get a fake frame stamp made up in an EU country, and then re-register it here as an "import" even though it never left these shores. Something along those lines. Criminal stuff.

Stalk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:30 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was easy, a lot more people would be doing it. It will cease to become fun and become a business. With all the associated cost, red tape, and jokers who want something for nothing.

Cookiemonster...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:34 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Criminal stuff is not the one. There must be more intelligent ways than that route.
The way I see it SOMEBODY is buying these bikes at auction. And the only purpose must be to make a profit if not ride it since they would otherwise buy a rideable one from gumtree/ebay/dealer.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:37 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
The bike could be broken for parts, the parts being stored in someone's garage and sold piece by piece over years.

I wouldn't go for an Africa Twin to break for parts but with a good condition popular sports bike, most of the parts will sell very quickly.

OP needs to do the sums to get an idea of what a GSXR600 / 750 / 1000 / R6 / R1 / CBR-somthing-or-other / etc etc is worth in parts.

Cookiemonster...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:45 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Bhud wrote:
The bike could be broken for parts, the parts being stored in someone's garage and sold piece by piece over years.

I wouldn't go for an Africa Twin to break for parts but with a good condition popular sports bike, most of the parts will sell very quickly.

OP needs to do the sums to get an idea of what a GSXR600 / 750 / 1000 / R6 / R1 / CBR-somthing-or-other / etc etc is worth in parts.

what about 125's ? Aren't 125's the most ridden bikes on the road after sportsbikes? I love sportsbikes as well. it would be fun fixing them up and selling especially the common japanese ones.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:45 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

People could be buying them because they want a project bike, or because they do periodic bulk buys and take them over to Europe, e.g. once a month in a truck (not with criminal intent, but simply because people can fix them up and re-register them cheaply there).

I have heard of Polish people (in the early days, when they first started coming here) doing cheap work in people's houses, outfitting bathrooms, etc. and taking the (used!) toilets, basins and baths in their vans back to Poland. They used to tell the homeowner that they were going to dump these items, but no, they either installed them in their own homes in Poland, or sold them in Poland. They were always going across the Channel so it made sense to do this. Now those guys are rich. I don't think VAT ever hoved into their view on the way there.

There's always a grey area in business though. I've never heard of anyone who makes a living buying and fixing crapped-out bikes and then selling them for a profit. However, I know of mechanics who don't ask questions (e.g. "do you really own this moped") and who prefer to be paid in cash.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:48 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookiemonster14 wrote:
what about 125's ? Aren't 125's the most ridden bikes on the road after sportsbikes? I love sportsbikes as well. it would be fun fixing them up and selling especially the common japanese ones.

Most ridden maybe but by kids who don't have hundreds of pounds to throw at a set of new fairings, have no interest in having a spare set of wheels for trackdays, etc etc etc. The market for complete 125 engines and frames with a v5 must be somewhat limited as well.

Look on eBay at sold listings and price up the parts.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:53 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: Buying and Selling motorbikes Reply with quote

Cookiemonster14 wrote:
Can I make a living doing this?

I was thinking of getting bikes from auctions like Copart. I've seen as an example this Africa Twin which is a cat B and 26k miles and front end damage. https://www.copart.co.uk/lot/44627479
It says the retail value is 7000 but I know it won't reach that. It looks like the front end is bent. Say I don't know how to fix it and have to go to a professional mechanic, how much profit do you think I can make?
I would please appreciate some advice on this specific example, how I should choose a bike, good mechanics to go to if I can't do something myself and just doing this whole thing in general whether it's a good idea or not.
Edit: What about for parts? how many times more valuable is a bike in parts as opposed to whole?

Make a living? If you go into it bike-shop style, maybe, if it's a sideline, I very, very much doubt it, but I should think you will get something.

Re that particular bike, as has been said, you cannot put it back on the road. You'd have to buy it, strip it, cut up the frame and dispose of it, and tell DVLA that you have broken it up and scrapped it or they will send you something nasty that will eat into your profit.

So if you fancy a punt, do your research first. Look to see what other people are charging for used parts to calculate what you can pay with expenses taken into account and any margin of profit you want. Be realistic about the value of parts. You won't want to have a load of stuff hanging around that you can't get shot of 'till the year after next, so you will need to undercut other vendors for a quick turnover.

Edit: some good points in this thread for you to think about!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:14 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:44 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

I have heard of Polish people (in the early days, when they first started coming here) doing cheap work in people's houses, outfitting bathrooms, etc. and taking the (used!) toilets, basins and baths in their vans back to Poland. They used to tell the homeowner that they were going to dump these items, but no, they either installed them in their own homes in Poland, or sold them in Poland. They were always going across the Channel so it made sense to do this. Now those guys are rich. I don't think VAT ever hoved into their view on the way there.

I know someone who's outfitted their own house with a lot of things from a job at a "upper" class house. From kitchen cabinets and appliances to bathroom and carpets, the house was bough and nothing was old/boken, but the new owners wanted wanted a make over.

For more run of the mill things, he keeps and offers it to the lower end customers with broken things who can't afford new things for a fair price or puts them on ebay, essentially turning waste he needed to dispose of into profit.

As for the bike business, there's 10 other people like you looking into the auction thinking the same thing, it's not worth your time and money believe me. Only way you could do this is if you got it locally, but as soon as it's on an online auction site, you're gonna pay more than what would make it profitable, because:

1.There is probably a pro looking at it, and he knows how much he can pay for it until it becomes close to breakeven, thus not worth it.

2.win you need to outbid him.

3.If you've outbid him ,it means your chances of profit are either slim or not worth the time you'll spend on it.

Don't forget, it doesn't matter if you've bought a bike for 100, spent 500 on it, and sold it for 2000. If that takes over a full time week, then you might as well have gone to work instead with less risk![/list]

Cookiemonster...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:34 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

£4k investment on the 2006 new model R6 gives a £1500 profit on my excel spreadsheet. I can take the whole bike apart in a day but all the bits and bobs will all sell over a matter of months so I can't reinvest that in more bikes sad times Sad
1.5k profit per bike is not too bad though. I think I may go for the older model of all these sportsbikes... the older parts are the first to be listed and more of them and the initial purchase is way lower.
that would be a 5.5k profit and no investment Twisted Evil if I just nicked the damn thing though. I see why people steal bikes now Laughing

I was watching police interceptors and one of them from the traffic unit said for a really expensive audi that was stolen by car thieves I think worth 50k+ : they steal them and they sell the parts for 10x original value so 500k+. surely he must be talking total shit? That must be too good to be true right? That can't happen for any vehicle?? otherwise you'd just steal two or three initially and then go legit wouldn't you so no more risk on your part and only slightly less profit at 9x (minus the inital legit investment)

Paddy. wrote:
Nope.
anything more insightful perhaps?

Last edited by Cookiemonster14 on 16:08 - 02 Sep 2019; edited 1 time in total

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:05 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vast majority of parts won't take months to sell.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:28 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookiemonster14 wrote:
I can take the whole bike apart in a day but all the bits and bobs will all sell over a matter of months

Some of the bits will sell. Many will not sell. Think of the used parts that are in demand. These are commonly ones that blow up, wear out, fail or get bashed or otherwise damaged. Will the bike you're breaking have these "in demand" parts?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:32 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookiemonster14 wrote:
£4k investment on the 2006 new model R6 gives a £1500 profit on my excel spreadsheet.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Vehicle-Parts-Accessories/131090/i.html?_from=R40&LH_ItemCondition=4&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_nkw=YZF-R6&_sop=3

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:41 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWhiteBaron wrote:
As for the bike business, there's 10 other people like you looking into the auction thinking the same thing,

Not like me. I am not the guy considering this as a business. I did my research, visited the salvage warehouse in Egham, etc. years ago. The numbers don't work out, as I said in my original post. Those wrecks often sell for even more than perfectly intact equivalent bikes. Thinking out of the box, it could work if you're constantly taking a van or truck to or from eastern Europe, where there are people who could put bikes back in working order for peanuts, and where you could re-register them without having to worry about insurance cats. Alternatively, going the all-out criminal route, ringing the frame, sticking a fake European VIN badge on it, then re-registering it as an "import" here.

I don't have much truck with either option, I have quite a few used bike parts on the bay (from old projects and bikes I've owned in the past), and they've been sitting there for months. I don't need to fill my garage with even more junk, either.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:57 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don’t you start small and try it, minimum investment cash?
I’d suggest eBay item number 401866030701 for a first time?
On a more serious note I’d say that the idea could work but you need to be able to get the bikes cheaply. I mean really cheap, word of mouth, friend of friend who’s dropped it / crashed it and just wants rid.
eBay and gumtree seems to be quite highly priced - probably through people doing much the same as you propose I’d imagine.
As an example there was One and a half BMW C1 scooter things on there over the weekend that sold for nearly £800 despite seeming to be a make one from two type idea. A decent one, running, makes just a couple of hundred more from what I’ve seen...
If you choose to break bikes bear in mind the bits that you can’t sell because they’re buggered and the reason the bike was sold - maybe front forks, wheel, mudguard, whatever, are the bits that would most likely be most in demand. You may end up with a lot of stuff that Boone needs. Try as an example getting a Ducati Monster front wheel. They are rare - the ones that I saw were all ‘ distorted - may be able to be straightened’ yet rear wheels are plentiful.

Last edited by 1198 on 17:08 - 02 Sep 2019; edited 1 time in total

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:00 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookiemonster14 wrote:
£4k investment on the 2006 new model R6 gives a £1500 profit on my excel spreadsheet. I can take the whole bike apart in a day but all the bits and bobs will all sell over a matter of months so I can't reinvest that in more bikes sad times Sad
1.5k profit per bike is not too bad though. I think I may go for the older model of all these sportsbikes... the older parts are the first to be listed and more of them and the initial purchase is way lower.
that would be a 5.5k profit and no investment Twisted Evil if I just nicked the damn thing though. I see why people steal bikes now Laughing

I was watching police interceptors and one of them from the traffic unit said for a really expensive audi that was stolen by car thieves I think worth 50k+ : they steal them and they sell the parts for 10x original value so 500k+. surely he must be talking total shit? That must be too good to be true right? That can't happen for any vehicle?? otherwise you'd just steal two or three initially and then go legit wouldn't you so no more risk on your part and only slightly less profit at 9x (minus the inital legit investment)

Paddy. wrote:
Nope.
anything more insightful perhaps?

If selling for parts rather than repairing, I'd agree you do have a better chance of profit than trying to sell on. Less time consuming. It's just a matter of having the space and waiting the time.

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:12 - 02 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start small.
Scooters and 125s are always in high demand.
Most look like complete crap due to being dropped a million times but panels are cheap and so is servicing.

I'd probably start with accident damaged scooters and see if you have the patience for it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 238 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3