Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Advice in buying a Suzuki GZ125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Obi
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:18 - 03 Sep 2019    Post subject: Advice in buying a Suzuki GZ125 Reply with quote

New to the forum and bikes

I really like the thought of purchasing a Suzuki GZ 125 cruiser.

I have just passed my CBT and looking seriously for a bike. Seen two for sale but quite a difference in price and mileage.
Thinking a cheaper buy maybe better for a first one, as still learning for the next set of tests!

Would really like some advice on what to look for when buying a bike, things to watch out for/avoid etc.

Looking forward to your advice.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 03 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post picture and description, or (better) the advertisement itself.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:36 - 03 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save yourself some money and get a Keeway Superlight Smile

Use the spare pennies to get a full licence sooner Very Happy

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:53 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

As said, get a Superlight, or a Hyosung Aquila. Cheaper. Superlight has a GS/GN based motor anyway, Hyosung has a V-Twin that's bang on the legal limit for a CBT. If you're mechanically inclined, look at a Hyosung Cruise 2. Not many around now, they were replaced by the Aquila, but the best (15BHP) single 125 cruiser on the market. Uber reliable to boot, if you maintain them.

Then, get a proper license with what you save over a GZ. For the prices you're looking at with the above bikes, a GZ will be utterly fucked and battered.

Obi
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:47 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Here are the two I have been looking at, clearly the first one i think would be the better one but as a first bike maybe the cheaper one with the view of riding it in to the death as i learn would be better.

https://www.dcmotorcycles.co.uk/used-suzuki-gz-125-huddersfield-west-yorkshire-1836557

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201908311701939?sort=distance&cc-from=125&cc-to=125&postcode=cm210jt&body-type=Custom%20Cruiser&body-type=Tourer&advertising-location=at_bikes&radius=1500&page=2

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:23 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obi wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

Here are the two I have been looking at, clearly the first one i think would be the better one but as a first bike maybe the cheaper one with the view of riding it in to the death as i learn would be better.

https://www.dcmotorcycles.co.uk/used-suzuki-gz-125-huddersfield-west-yorkshire-1836557

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201908311701939?sort=distance&cc-from=125&cc-to=125&postcode=cm210jt&body-type=Custom%20Cruiser&body-type=Tourer&advertising-location=at_bikes&radius=1500&page=2

The only difference I can see is the mileage and the price.

The private sale is higher (25,000), but not outrageous. This could be mitigated by servicing. However, why does the MOT say 40,803 miles? My guess: listing error, as exact 25,000 is shown. Can't see anything else bad on the MOT. Apparently unused for 3 months (owner says he's changed bikes).

The dealer one is photographed carefully in a salesroom. It will have been cleaned and its tyres shone up. You pay for that. It seems to have suffered from a lack of use and maintenance. It might need parts or work soon because of this.

The private one is over £1,000 cheaper.

Both have been used every so often; the private one has had new parts fiitted presumably as they wore out.

Hard to say. I'm not particularly fazed by mileage, so I would at least ask the private seller: "Why is 25,000 miles listed but the MOT says 40,803?" to see what sort of chap he is, and "what about service history" and let him explain. If he says "Yes I've oiled it and fixed bits various" with some detail then maybe. If no detail, ask for detail. Look at tyres & chain condition too. I as you can tell would be sort of interested in the cheaper one.

EDIT: Whatever you get, don't go in with the idea of "riding it to death". Look after the thing properly, especially changing oil/filter in a timely way, lubricating and adjusting the chain, etc.

Obi
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:32 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The owner of the cheaper one has confirmed the difference but says it is Kilometers not miles. But the picture of the speedo does not back that up. Another flag to me to be fair and one of the reason's i joined the forum.

The comment about till the death is only to except the loss. i will of coarse service and look after it as best i can just like i do to my car.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:28 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obi wrote:
The owner of the cheaper one has confirmed the difference but says it is Kilometers not miles. But the picture of the speedo does not back that up.

What did he say when you asked why the difference? Surely not just "Yes there is a difference".

EIT: I would be inclined, whatever, to sign up for https://www.suzuki-intruder.org/ which has a forum which could say whether or not the odometer reads in km and possibly give other advice.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

I'd also recommend a Superlight, the nipper has 1 waiting for when she's 17, I've taken it out on a few rides, nice & comfy, and will do 50 easily, and it hasn't been run in yet, not even 100km on the clock.

Obi
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:00 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Obi wrote:
The owner of the cheaper one has confirmed the difference but says it is Kilometers not miles. But the picture of the speedo does not back that up.

What did he say when you asked why the difference? Surely not just "Yes there is a difference".

The guy just explained he had been advised that his bike was measuring in Kilometers. But the picture of the speedo does not match that theory.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:15 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obi wrote:
The guy just explained he had been advised that his bike was measuring in Kilometers. But the picture of the speedo does not match that theory.

Yes, I saw the odo reading on the ad. It does match (40806km is 25355 miles).

What did he say about service history (oil changes) and which parts have been replaced/mended?

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:23 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obi wrote:

Not impossible. My AJS had a speedo that measured MPH, but the odometer was in KM.

I guess because on imports it's easier to change the background of the speedo than the gearing on the odometer.

Obi
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:39 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:

Not impossible. My AJS had a speedo that measured MPH, but the odometer was in KM.

I guess because on imports it's easier to change the background of the speedo than the gearing on the odometer.

Think i have to look at it as it is miles but if different then that's a bonus Shocked

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:07 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obi wrote:
Evil Hans wrote:

Think i have to look at it as it is miles but if different then that's a bonus Shocked

From the picture that is miles. Ask him how he knows it is measuring in km. He'll probably come up with some bollox. I think he's trying to pull a fast one.

It was first registered on 20 November 2006 and that would indicate 1st registration was in UK when it was new. Mileage supports this in my view.

Anyway, 40000 miles is do not touch territory for a 125.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
From the picture that is miles

'Swhy I said to the OP check somewhere else.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
From the picture that is miles

'Swhy I said to the OP check somewhere else.

.... which isn't hard to do, anc cuts out all this fannying about.

1) Phone Suzuki Customer Services.
2) Ask them about it.

To save trouble, I've just done that.

It's not a "uk bike", probably EU, so the speedo is almost certain to read in km, not miles.

There is no parts problem.

To find more about the bike, get the VIN, and look it up somewhere, for instance: https://driving-tests.org/vin-decoder/

You will then know all about it.

I'd be intersted to see the VIN myself, just for background knowledge/interest!

Obi
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:38 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help and advice seems i missed out on the cheaper one as tried to arrange a visit to look over the bike and advised someone had called and offered more than the asking price!

Unusual i thought..

So the search continues for the bike i want, it has to be a Suzuki GZ Marauder 125

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obi wrote:
Thanks for your help and advice seems i missed out on the cheaper one as tried to arrange a visit to look over the bike and advised someone had called and offered more than the asking price!

Caller 1: "Tell me details about your bike, please".
Caller 1: "Tell me more details about your bike, please".
Seller: "OK".
Caller 2: "Have you still got your bike for sale?"
Seller: "Yes, but someone else might be coming to see it".

Not a lot about that grabs me at the mo. A possibility but in Queensborough, depends how far you want to travel. How far do you want to travel?

Obi
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:11 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Did you call him? Are you the guy who wants to come to offer more money??

Obi
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:18 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the guy called to tell me he had a no show.

Went to look at the bike and these are my findings.

Petrol Gauge not working
New chain require soon
Rear wheel may need replacing
Broken Pannier on the bottom rear.
Some rust on chrome as been sitting around for a while.

Made an offer but the guy is holding out for the full advertised amount.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:21 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a new chain needed factor in new sprockets too.

Obi
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:48 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
With a new chain needed factor in new sprockets too.

Didn't think of that, more extra cost.!!

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obi wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

Did you call him? Are you the guy who wants to come to offer more money??

No! I am just looking at it from the seller's point of view.

Last edited by Riejufixing on 23:38 - 05 Sep 2019; edited 1 time in total

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:35 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obi wrote:
So the guy called to tell me he had a no show.

Went to look at the bike and these are my findings.

Petrol Gauge not working
New chain require soon
Rear wheel may need replacing
Broken Pannier on the bottom rear.
Some rust on chrome as been sitting around for a while.

Made an offer but the guy is holding out for the full advertised amount.

If I were you:

Petrol gauge: don't care. Maybe an easy fix, maybe not, doesn't matter, won't stpo you going.

New chain require soon: Chain £20. Sprockets OK? If not, similar amount. You can do them so no mechanics fees.

Rear wheel may need replacing: Why? Maybe £50, eBay.

Broken Pannier on the bottom rear: How broken? Fixable (see plastics repair threads in "Workshop")? A new set id about £100.

Some rust on chrome as been sitting around for a while: Happens. You can improve it with fine steel wool (Brillo) used gently, then apply oil, Waxoyl, vaseline or somesuch, polishing it every now and again to stpo it getting worse.

What about the VIN, so you know where it comes from, its exact age, etc?

Looking around at what's available, it does seem sort-of reasonable for the price - but double check the VIN, and did you ask him about what routine maintenance he's been doing/had done (oil changes are *imnportant*, but he seems to have used it continually (looking at MOT history), which is a good sign)?

AndrewH7
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:13 - 13 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyres, by the time I got new 1s fitted I'd spent as much for 2nd-hand EN125 as a new Chinese bike.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 168 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2