Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Turning 16, restricted motorbike legal in the UK?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Joewrite
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:42 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Turning 16, restricted motorbike legal in the UK? Reply with quote

Hey, I will soon be 16 and am wanting to get in the road as soon as possible, while a moped is obviously a good option, the definition of one is a two wheeled vehicle that is restricted to 31mph and has no more than a 50cc engine, does this mean I could have a motorbike and get it restricted and ride it legally at 16 in the UK, thanks.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:51 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a 50cc with gears that looks like a motorbike.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:10 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have one of these:

https://www.mashmotorcycles.co.uk/storage/app/uploads/public/5c4/f0e/3dc/thumb_384_275_275_0_0_crop.jpg

Although you'd probably be better off getting some shitty scooter for pennies and bide your time till you can get a 125 Smile

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:43 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Although you'd probably be better off getting some shitty scooter for pennies and bide your time till you can get a 125 Smile

This. No 50 is going to be worth the premium over a basic scooter. Maybe a DNA50 if you can find one that isn't fucked.

Flog it on when your're 17 and get a YBR/CG 125, or something along those lines.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:35 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: Turning 16, restricted motorbike legal in the UK? Reply with quote

Joewrite wrote:
Hey, I will soon be 16 and am wanting to get in the road as soon as possible, while a moped is obviously a good option, the definition of one is a two wheeled vehicle that is restricted to 31mph and has no more than a 50cc engine, does this mean I could have a motorbike and get it restricted and ride it legally at 16 in the UK, thanks.

I don't think your definition iscorrect.

I don't think you can ride a restricted motorbike.

You are restricted if you want to be legal, which you should be.

How usable a moped is will depend on where you live (?) and what you want to use it for.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:31 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: Turning 16, restricted motorbike legal in the UK? Reply with quote

Joewrite wrote:

You can ride it if it's less than 50cc and restricted to 28mph (45kmh)

Because then it's a moped, not a motorbike.

It doesn't need pedals. It doesn't need to be a scooter / step-thru.

I'm not really sure I understand your question. Are you talking about getting a larger motorbike and putting a 50cc engine in it? I think your biggest issue in that case would be getting insurance.

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:15 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lexmoto do a couple of 50cc geared bikes still classed as a moped because they are 50cc

https://www.lexmoto.co.uk/50cc.php

Confusion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:54 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: Turning 16, restricted motorbike legal in the UK? Reply with quote

Joewrite wrote:
Hey, I will soon be 16 and am wanting to get in the road as soon as possible, while a moped is obviously a good option, the definition of one is a two wheeled vehicle that is restricted to 31mph and has no more than a 50cc engine

Maximum speed for category AM is 45km/h or just under 28mph
in old money.

Your options are:

Get a moped

or

Move to Ireland where you can ride a 125 (A1) at age 16.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:55 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynax wrote:
Lexmoto do a couple of 50cc geared bikes still classed as a moped because they are mopeds
https://www.lexmoto.co.uk/50cc.php

Fixed that for you.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:05 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter has a Mash 50 Roadstar, and loves it, and is quite happy to do 60 mile round trips to the other side of Birmingham, or bike nights near Uttoxeter and Burton..

It is a cracking little bike.

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/mash_50_roadstar_2018_20180505_dunstall_3.jpg

Oh, and I should add, she's now learnt how to do her own basic maintainance, such as oil & plug changes, and chain adjustment, so, all in all, worthwhile going down the 50 route. Also, she's just waiting until she's 17 to take the Mod 1 & 2, already has the cbt (obviously) and has passed the theory test

Joewrite
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:52 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
My daughter has a Mash 50 Roadstar, and loves it, and is quite happy to do 60 mile round trips to the other side of Birmingham, or bike nights near Uttoxeter and Burton..

It is a cracking little bike.

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/mash_50_roadstar_2018_20180505_dunstall_3.jpg

Oh, and I should add, she's now learnt how to do her own basic maintainance, such as oil & plug changes, and chain adjustment, so, all in all, worthwhile going down the 50 route. Also, she's just waiting until she's 17 to take the Mod 1 & 2, already has the cbt (obviously) and has passed the theory test

Ive been thinking about an Aprilia rs4 50, I don’t know much yet but I’m really eager to get on the road and still doing loads of research, do you think it would be a good choice? Thank you for the reply, I’ll look into those mash 50 Roadstars too then

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:03 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joewrite wrote:

Ive been thinking about an Aprilia rs4 50, I don’t know much yet but I’m really eager to get on the road and still doing loads of research, do you think it would be a good choice? Thank you for the reply, I’ll look into those mash 50 Roadstars too then

i could be wrong, but, i don't thing the Aprilia isn't legal for a 16 year old ??

Joewrite
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:10 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Joewrite wrote:

i could be wrong, but, i don't thing the Aprilia isn't legal for a 16 year old ??

Yeah I’ve checked and it definitely is, 50cc and restricted so it fits the bill Mr. Green

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll only be sixteen for 365 days*.
My advice would be to spend as little as possible on a moped that you'll dispose of on your seventeenth birthday. Save the money instead for a 125 that'll be four times as powerful and twice as fast.

*Unless it's a leap year obviously.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
My advice would be to spend as little as possible on a moped that you'll dispose of on your seventeenth birthday. Save the money instead for a 125 that'll be four times as powerful and twice as fast.

... or, you have someone else lined up for the 50 Smile My daughter's friend, want to take her cbt.. Also, the Mash, is very easy to desrestrict, and it will do 40-50 mph

Joewrite
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:28 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:

I agree with this, I’m still wanting a bike instead of a moped however, the cheapest I’ve found which is still a decent bike I believe is a Lexmoto Hunter

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:05 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joewrite wrote:

I agree with this, I’m still wanting a bike instead of a moped however, the cheapest I’ve found which is still a decent bike I believe is a Lexmoto Hunter

The Hunter, the Mash's, and possibly others, have a simple pitbike engine, nice and easy to learn the basics of motorbike maintainance on, as well as getting used to gears, building up that first year's ncd, gaining road experience, so all good.

Even when her mate has finished with it, might end up taking it with the camper.

Joewrite
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:09 - 04 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Joewrite wrote:

The Hunter, the Mash's, and possibly others, have a simple pitbike engine, nice and easy to learn the basics of motorbike maintainance on, as well as getting used to gears, building up that first year's ncd, gaining road experience, so all good.

Even when her mate has finished with it, might end up taking it with the camper.

I’ve still got just under two months to think about it so I’ll take that time and carry on researching and saving up, thank you for all the help though, very much apriciated!

McHattrick
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:45 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.rieju.es/en/supermoto/

My son has a Rieju MRT 50.
Great wee moped. 2 stroke, 6 speed, yamaha engine.
It is supermoto style and probably as big as a 125 size-wise.
Looks and handles great. Second hand are difficult to come by so they may be a bit more expensive but they hold their value quite well.

Joewrite
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:51 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHattrick wrote:

My son has a Rieju MRT 50.
Great wee moped. 2 stroke, 6 speed, yamaha engine.
It is supermoto style and probably as big as a 125 size-wise.
Looks and handles great. Second hand are difficult to come by so they may be a bit more expensive but they hold their value quite well.

They look really nice actually, got nowhere near the amount of budget for one of those however Laughing

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joewrite wrote:
McHattrick wrote:

They look really nice actually, got nowhere near the amount of budget for one of those however Laughing

There's one in Bridlington that's up for probably £1400 (2016).

What do you want to spend, approximately? £500? Something like that? Don't forget (gulp) insurance....

McHattrick
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:59 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

There's one in Bridlington that's up for probably £1400 (2016).

What do you want to spend, approximately? £500? Something like that? Don't forget (gulp) insurance....

My sons bike was £1250 (2015) but that was 1 year ago.
Also insurance wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
MCE Insurance gave us TPFT for £410 with max 2000 miles.

Joewrite
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:16 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you want to spend, approximately? £500? Something like that? Don't forget (gulp) insurance....[/quote]

I have £800 saved at the moment and counting, I’m maybe not willing to spend all of it though, maybe my maximum would be something like £1200 alltogether including everything? That’s only if it was realllyyy nice

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:15 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joewrite wrote:
riejufixing wrote:

I have £800 saved at the moment and counting, I’m maybe not willing to spend all of it though, maybe my maximum would be something like £1200 alltogether including everything? That’s only if it was realllyyy nice

So say £1,000 including the dreaded insurance? Just as a rough estimate.

Insurance had better be third party only, so it you hit something or otherwise cause damage to someone or someone's property, you're covered, but if you bend it or someone steals it you ain't. "Better" cover will eat up your money. You might not like the suggestion, but consider the sums: if you claim, for you, then you will have to pay an excess which may well mean you won't break even, especially since your premium will go up if you claim. So protect yourself against others' claims, and if they hit you, their insurance will pay out for you. You have to be quite "responsible" in your use of your machine.

With a lock (or two; it's inconvenient to walk), plus a helmet and any old thing you can wear to keep the wet off when you can't avoid it, e.g. an unlovely but functonal one-piece oversuit, what's that, £100, unless you can get a present (could insurance be a present too Smile ) ?

So you're looking at something in the region of £500 for the machine itself on that budget. Not out of the questoin to get something.

Looking at eBay "sold" prices, you're looking at a twist'n'go auto scooter type thing[1]. Is that of interest? Easy to do your CBT on, or with something similar from the CBT school.

What you get will also be influenced by what you want to do with the thing, and where/what sort the roads are that you want to do it on (quiet roads, town centre stop-go-30MPH max, dual carriageways, fast roads, whatever), as well as whether you or someone you know can/will do things like oil changes and such general tinkering.

So. Spill the beans. What d'you reckon?

[1] Which is what my son bought (Peugeot Kisbee), rode for a year complaining about 30MPH the while, which we then "tuned" by a very simple wiring fix so it would do 40MPH+, before buying a 125.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 233 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1