Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mental Health Diagnosis - License to be a Prick?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:39 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Mental Health Diagnosis - License to be a Prick? Reply with quote

Just putting this out there.

if someone has been to the GP and cried and come out with a prescription for anti-anxiety/depressant medication, at what point can you legitimately say that your sympathy for them has run out?

Having a "mental health" problem diagnosed by a GP after a 5 minute consultation seems to me to sometimes give the "patient" licence to behave self-indulgently and/or badly.

Family and friends then modify their behaviour because the person is "ill", by which I mean tiptoing around them, putting up with spiteful behaviour, not challenging the person's bad decisions, lending them money because of those bad decisions, not criticising their refusal to get a job and generally handling them with kid gloves.

I have a close associate who fits the above description and their behaviour is awful, but if I'm honest, is really only exaggerated expression of aspects of their personality that have always been present.

i can't help.but feel that everyone around them is enabling this appalling conduct because we're all cowed by the "mental illness" diagnosis. If we stopped being so bloody nice, they'd sort themselves out. But no, everyone's worried that they'll do something worse.

TL:DR How do you tell if a person is mentally ill or just a PITA?

Edit: For the avoidance of doubt, it isn’t Sid who is eternally, my ray of sunshine Laughing

Last edited by Tracey Suntan-King on 14:49 - 05 Sep 2019; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Boxing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:52 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mental health aspect especially depression & anxiety is also abused by criminals in order to get a lenient or fully let off sentence. Rolling Eyes

A lot also go down that route for sick benefits.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:32 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boxing wrote:
The mental health aspect especially depression & anxiety is also abused by criminals in order to get a lenient or fully let off sentence. Rolling Eyes

A lot also go down that route for sick benefits.

Very much so.
I'd mentioned in another thread that life is full of such chancers/wasters/users/abusers and it removes the much needed help from genuine cases. Boils my p*ss.

Mental illness covers a massive range of conditions as we all know. Then add causes, patients (persons) history, childhood and so on.
With what you describe they're behaving like a child who spins their parents around their little fingers with fake huffs, complaining etc.
People are going to have to ignore them. It's difficult but they're simply seeking attention by the sounds of things.
If that 'patient' threatens something silly then call in emergency services. Not to protect them as such but more in the hope they get themselves sectioned - then they'll know what the hell of mental illness is truly like.

Just a shame we got rid of those old mental health freak shows of Victorian times. The paying public could visit them and laugh at the crazies. (I can do it for free if I visit Byker)

Edit: If things in particular are bugging you and you need to ask some personal questions PM me. I've a heap of first hand experience of all of this shit.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: Mental Health Diagnosis - License to be a Prick? Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:

If there's a possibly sudden change in behaviour, which could otherwise happen over the course of some time, that will be a pointer. Just treat "whoever" normally if they've got depression, without excusing everything, but certainly without telling them to snap out of it or that they are being an arse any more than you would tell anyone else. Adding blame by saying "you're doing X because you've got Y" will be unproductive.

Do you know what medication they've been given, and what dose of it? Real, genuine depression is a very nasty thing.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:19 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
"Disorders" like this are handed out far too frequently now, to a generation or two who have decided they're never responsible for their own behaviour, actions and stupidity.

It seems around 1 in 5 kids from poor parents, who act like arseholes are now excused by being diagnoses as having mild "autism", where in my day, they were just little shits and got a clip behind the ear and were told to change their behaviour.

Nobody is responsible for their own actions in modern victim creation society.

MDMA, your compassion and understanding never fails to make me well up and promise myself I can be a better person...

dodgydog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:33 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a married couple, (she left him in November and is just filing for divorce). He has had lifelong "mental health issues" which he has used to get out of all sorts of shit. That shit includes two firearms offences (during both of them, his wife had to come out of the house with her hands above her head and walk towards the armed Police), One case of severe criminal damage, the cost of which was put at £20,000. He got away with that because of assessments from mental health "professionals". Plus there's a host of other shit things he's done over the years too numerous to mention, (he's just written off another £32,000 almost new car, and nobody can find out how or where it happened, and that's the fourth in the last three years).
All the above has always been excused by the phrase "he's not well right now". That same excuse has been used when he's off his head on sniff and running around the garden with a knife while his wife and five year old have had to lock themselves in the bedroom.

Oh yeah, his wife had to drive herself to the hospital too, for an emergency Ceasarian, He was in bed at the time, "not well". Plus during the criminal damage case, she had to get herself to hospital when she was losing their second child, he was in bed "ill" then too.

He's got the money to be treated privately, so a succession of "doctors" have been all to happy to prescribe him a range of medications, that sometimes he takes, sometimes he leaves lying around for his small child to pick up, (I've seen that happen and taken tablets from the child). At the moment he's had a couple of weeks away from the sniff, but he's spent I would think about £70,000 on another new car, an £8000 watch for one of his other kids, and fuck knows how many Paul Smith shirts, expensive shoes, (he buys five pairs at a time, five pairs....the same) plus various expensive artworks and prints.

He may be officially diagnosed by more qualified people than me as "not well" or as "having issues mentally". I'm more of the view nowadays that he's a self indulgent man child, who has no empathy or feelings for anyone but himself. Or, a right cunt, as we used to be able to call them.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: Mental Health Diagnosis - License to be a Prick? Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Do you know what medication they've been given, and what dose of it? Real, genuine depression is a very nasty thing.

Well, thats another part of the puzzle. They've been prescribed several SSRI meds, one after the other, because they go back to the doctor often, saying the pills don't work. Has refused CBT (for anxiety attacks) and counselling.

I know real depression and anxiety disorders can be awful and debilitating.

However, I'm concerned that feeling resentful/angry/disappointed/sad are these days can be defined as mental illness, giving the person licence to wear a badge to get special treatment, when really they just need to sort their life out.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:31 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think making allowances for a mental illness without pandering to it seems to be a good tack.

So with someone in a hole in bed with depression/anxiety needs support but there is also not MUCH you can do other than provide as normal an environment as possible for them. Check on them periodically, a "How you doing?" with time to talk if they want to. However do carry on with normal routine. "Dinner will be ready in 10 minutes". "Dinner is on the table, do you need a hand getting up?". If they don't, have yours, keep theirs ready for if they want it.

Also do the things you would normally do because it'll start to affect you too. So do go out to the local for a couple of pints or your yoga class, make sure they're invited/included but Don't let it become a means of controlling your life too.

Just like with training kids and animals. If their behaviour is bad. Ignore it as far as possible. If it's good, reward it.

Depression doesn't generally make you behave badly unless you're doing it to re-enforce low self-esteem by driving people away. I think not taking it on at all is still the way forwards in this case.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:36 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgydog wrote:
I know a married couple, (she left him in November and is just filing for divorce). He has had lifelong "mental health issues" which he has used to get out of all sorts of shit. That shit includes two firearms offences (during both of them, his wife had to come out of the house with her hands above her head and walk towards the armed Police), One case of severe criminal damage, the cost of which was put at £20,000. He got away with that because of assessments from mental health "professionals". Plus there's a host of other shit things he's done over the years too numerous to mention, (he's just written off another £32,000 almost new car, and nobody can find out how or where it happened, and that's the fourth in the last three years).
All the above has always been excused by the phrase "he's not well right now". That same excuse has been used when he's off his head on sniff and running around the garden with a knife while his wife and five year old have had to lock themselves in the bedroom.

Oh yeah, his wife had to drive herself to the hospital too, for an emergency Ceasarian, He was in bed at the time, "not well". Plus during the criminal damage case, she had to get herself to hospital when she was losing their second child, he was in bed "ill" then too.

He's got the money to be treated privately, so a succession of "doctors" have been all to happy to prescribe him a range of medications, that sometimes he takes, sometimes he leaves lying around for his small child to pick up, (I've seen that happen and taken tablets from the child). At the moment he's had a couple of weeks away from the sniff, but he's spent I would think about £70,000 on another new car, an £8000 watch for one of his other kids, and fuck knows how many Paul Smith shirts, expensive shoes, (he buys five pairs at a time, five pairs....the same) plus various expensive artworks and prints.

He may be officially diagnosed by more qualified people than me as "not well" or as "having issues mentally". I'm more of the view nowadays that he's a self indulgent man child, who has no empathy or feelings for anyone but himself. Or, a right cunt, as we used to be able to call them.

In fairness, that sounds like classic bipolar behaviour. I wonder how much dialogue his wife has with the medics because it sounds like his manic phases are out of control. It might be that she could make moves to have him sectioned when it all kicks off to ensure he's taking his meds properly.

I've got a good mate who is bipolar. He'd been on treatment for depression for ages but out of nowhere had a manic episode. He freely admits he was totally out of control and needed to be sectioned. They have an awareness that what they are doing is not normal/appropriate, they just can't stop themselves.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgydog wrote:
.. Or, a right cunt, as we used to be able to call them.

A right rich cunt too by the sounds of things.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: Mental Health Diagnosis - License to be a Prick? Reply with quote

I'm concerned that feeling resentful/angry/disappointed/sad are these days can be defined as mental illness, giving the person licence to wear a badge to get special treatment, when really they just need to sort their life out.

It's really hard to say. I would hope that even a GP would be able to tell the difference.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/ssri-antidepressants/

These things need to be taken properly to work. Hopefully this person is in a position where it can be ensured that they are taken as advised.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also take time to work. Makes me wonder how long a certain medicine is being taken for before another is tried?
Docs have a whole armoury of different meds for these conditions and can quite easily 'go along the optics' with them and not give a particular one enough time to work. Some doctors prescribe another without giving the first time to work.
I do understand when people refuse counselling. It could be because of historic stuff that will be mentioned and they're not ready to deal with the sh*tfall for example. Counselling though is a powerful tool and should always be tried.

I had a mate who was depressed. It was classic stuff and I would kick about with him doing the things we both did. Not once did I change my behaviour towards him. He knew he could talk any time he liked and that I would never judge. I knew him well enough to be able to recognise when he was headed downhill etc.
Things came to a head when I realised that without making it obvious he was starting to manipulate me. Nothing obvious and instead quietly steering situations or controlling that day without me realising. One day though, he did something obvious and I realised just how manipulative he'd become. He certainly wasn't daft either - quite the opposite. He was cunning and played an innocent, quiet and withdrawn person. I spoke to him and the avalanche of denials and cries of illness were sickening. He knew we could speak openly but as soon as he was challenged then he laid that crappy extra stuff on.
I walked from that friendship. Not just for that final incident but more for all of the other things he'd done. For the first week he ignored me but then panicked. I was then bombarded with messages and even letters hand delivered through my door (he lives 30 miles away). I've not seen him for two years now.
I do accept people in whatever way they come but when they do what he did then they go.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:39 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: Mental Health Diagnosis - License to be a Prick? Reply with quote

I have been on both sides of this.

I had pretty severe anxiety this time last year. It was the worst I had ever felt in my life, this includes family dying, broken bones and fairly major burns to my face and leg.

For a few months I was utterly useless as I person I couldn't do anything when I was set off minutes later I would be on the toilet with diarrhea and at the same time I would be throwing up in the bath.

Things that could set me off would be stupid, like getting a text message a loan payment was coming out of my account (I had the money) or the electric window in my car not working properly or loud noises.

I also a few times snapped at my partner and shouted over stupid stuff. I always apologized and she knew it was because I wasn't right.

How I was handled was exactly as Stinkwheel said and that was ideal for me.

One thing the Docs/Counselor said to me was that not everyone wants to get better. To me that was insane, I felt so shit at that point in time I would have happily dumped £10k instantly to feel better. I was willing to do anything.

On the flip side I had a friend with loads of issues, I put up with him being as he was for 8 years (had known him 12ish) he had had bad patches before but it seemed to become majority of the time since early 20's. The last time he went screwy and fucked his life I told him a few home truths and he didn't like that. That combined with an unrelated conversation about 'Drains and Radiators' and a few other examples of selfish behavior led me to fuck him off.

I do not know where it comes from but was talking with the parents of a friend they said essentially there are different types of people in your life, those that radiate warmth/friendship and those that drain it, basically fuck off the drains and you will be happier.

Other selfish behavior included phoning a heavily pregnant friend at 3am to bitch about his life.

Fucking off a trial period for a decent job that his sister got him after a few week because they were 'relying on him too much' and weren't paying him more. Rolling Eyes

I did a test not long before calling it a day he rung me up for his usually weekly moan and started as usual by asking how I was. I heavily exaggerated "Crap tbh, my really dads sick, dog died, work is stressful, l'm Skint" etc. he literally said "Oh, So anyway..." and went on to moan about his shit.

Don't put up with it forever, if you really believe they aren't going to change there is no benefit to you to keep them around.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:50 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: Mental Health Diagnosis - License to be a Prick? Reply with quote

They could be both.

Whatever it is or isn't, don't waste your time on them.

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people go to mental doctors now. I see lots of people I saw at work. I feel everyone goes to doctors easily nowadays.

For me after being robbed of my purse during commuting more than 10 years ago, I'm afraid of being walked by someone behind me. I'm afraid of some sounds. It's anxiety neurosis.

prescription of medicines. taking them for over 10 years. now I notice the bad side of those medicines too.
If I stop them my ears turn weird with big noise.
wearing ear muffs all the time also worsen it, so I can't do it.

once you start taking medicines it's rare case that you can stop them at some point I believe.
Mental doctors earn a lot by having as many "customers", and tries to keep giving them prescriptions as long as possible. to buy his bmw.

Thus my thoughts on mental medicine is it helps you and it kills you at the same time.

So it should be carefully thought out, whether she/he should start taking medicines. in my opinion.
Not by doctor who earns a lot from you.

I believe some percentage of people might had better not start taking those medicines with easy decision suggested by mental doctors.

Doctors are thinking of earning from you only.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:27 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: Mental Health Diagnosis - License to be a Prick? Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

They could be both.

Whatever it is or isn't, don't waste your time on them.

Wayhay, well said Sir. Thumbs Up

Diggs wrote:

MDMA, your compassion and understanding never fails to make me well up and promise myself I can be a better person...

I know I have the sensibilities of a brick and am as sympathetic as a rattlesnake but I really have to dump my fat arse in MDA's play pen with this.

Any little cunt wants a get out clause? Plead loony. We'll just add it to all the other excuses the so called professionals come out with to explain why lovely little Brian likes chopping the heads off kittens. Rolling Eyes

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Half the kids from couples I know seem to have been diagnosed with some form of autism of late.

That is particularly worrying, given that in this country diagnosed autism is running at 1 in 100 of the population. It suggests that there may be another reason why half the kids you have come in contact with are displaying bad behaviour. Given that you are the common denominator in your 50% statistic, may I suggest that you stop interfering with them.... Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:31 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's EXTRAORDINARILY dangerous to assume there is an either/or here.

Think of being mentally ill as something akin to someone who rides motorcycles. Are there people who ride motorcycles who are normal, appear normal? Yes. Are there people who ride motorcycles who are the nicest possible people, and will do anything for you short of stopping riding motorcycles, or something which is impossible because they ride motorcycles? Yes, of course.

Are there people who ride motorcycles who are total D*cks? Yes of course.

In ANY group of people you get nice people and you get d*cks. That doesn't mean that group of people are all one or the other. In fact, in most groups most people are perfectly nice. You get the odd one or other who ruin it for the rest.

It's similar to people who are on benefits, people who take drugs, people who like dogs, people who enjoy model railways. I'm sure some benefit claimants do game the system. I'm sure some druggies do steal. I'm sure some dog owners are cruel and shouldn't be allowed to own dogs, and I'm certain that a number of model railway owners are also serial killers. *shrug*

Perhaps I've laboured the point a bit too much but I'm always of the position that people who have a mental illness should be helped, should be given all the opportunity they can to get better, and given all the leeway they need to lead a normal life. Same with people on benefits etc.

What we shouldn't be doing is letting people off of serial killings because they own a dog, or letting people get away with riding a trike just because they like model railways. Or letting people off acting like an @rse because they are mentally ill.

Take example above with guy with firearms offence. That sounds like bipolar or schizophrenic or something like that. I think more leeway could be given to him than say if he just had depression. Similarly depression doesn't always mean that people can't function, but it can, and at the end of the day YOU don't know what's going on inside someone's head. The GPs usually have the closest chance after genuine bona fide mental health professionals of course.

So, just a slight aside - it is relevant I promise. I had an honest to god argument with a guy on Facebook yesterday who insisted that people on benefits shouldn't be allowed to vote. That's some facist sh*t right there... sheesh. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:39 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having worked in mental healthcare in the past, I can only add this small nugget.

Many people suffering from MH issues view it as a pass for poor behaviour.
I refused to tolerate poor behaviour and many of the people I worked with changed their behaviour once they realised bad behaviour was not acceptable.

Poor behaviour is poor behaviour, period !
Mental illness is not a reason for sh*tty behaviour.

Strange behaviour can be a symptom of mental illness.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:51 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Having worked in mental healthcare in the past, I can only add this small nugget.

Many people suffering from MH issues view it as a pass for poor behaviour.
I refused to tolerate poor behaviour and many of the people I worked with changed their behaviour once they realised bad behaviour was not acceptable.

Poor behaviour is poor behaviour, period !
Mental illness is not a reason for sh*tty behaviour.

Strange behaviour can be a symptom of mental illness.

Trouble is you seem to be in a very small minority of care professionals having that attitude

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:57 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
"Disorders" like this are handed out far too frequently now...
Part of it is because GPs get paid by the drug company for every patient they diagnose and/or prescribe drugs to. It is a sad fact that almost anyone can go to a GP and come out with a fairly hefty prescription for anti-depressants and Diazepam.

The other part of the reason is just what people have said, it's an easy way out for some people to get out of working or to get an easier ride at work.

If someone has genuine mental health issues, chances are they're not going to talk about it openly, at least not outside of good friends and family circles.

My ex behaved somewhat like your "friend", but her diagnosis was Aspergers. After that she acted up to the part, exaggerated many of the symptoms (some of which didn't exist before diagnosis) and generally become lazy, rude, distant and claim it was her just being her.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:06 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
Part of it is because GPs get paid by the drug company for every patient they diagnose and/or prescribe drugs to. It is a sad fact that almost anyone can go to a GP and come out with a fairly hefty prescription for anti-depressants and Diazepam.

They don't get paid by drug companies for prescribing drugs.

It does cost the GP's practise to write prescriptions but they don't get paid for it.

Good luck with getting a prescription for diazepam. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 234 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4