Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mental Health Diagnosis - License to be a Prick?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:12 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
It is a sad fact that almost anyone can go to a GP and come out with a fairly hefty prescription for anti-depressants and Diazepam.

You know this is a UK based forum, right? We don't live in the US.

until after Brexit when we'll get a free Chlorine washed chicken with every health insurance policy excess we have to pay on our overpriced unnecessarily prescribed big pharma branded drugs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:34 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
"Disorders" like this are handed out far too frequently now, to a generation or two who have decided they're never responsible for their own behaviour, actions and stupidity.

It seems around 1 in 5 kids from poor parents, who act like arseholes are now excused by being diagnoses as having mild "autism", where in my day, they were just little shits and got a clip behind the ear and were told to change their behaviour.

Nobody is responsible for their own actions in modern victim creation society.

Fucking agree, autism is just millennial cunt waffles being pricks because parents are too weak to give their kids a fucking slap. If my kid (when I have one...) is a little shit, they are getting a slap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:43 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Fucking agree, autism is just millennial cunt waffles being pricks because parents are too weak to give their kids a fucking slap. If my kid (when I have one...) is a little shit, they are getting a slap.

Wow mpd72... I didn't know you could hack Paddy's account.

You're wrong about that, proper Autism is bad and is real. As is Aspbergers. But it's become an insult for anyone who doesn't 'get' the current joke/zeitgeist/meme and that's what you're talking about.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:04 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still misbehaving little scrotes who need a big slap.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:16 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Still misbehaving little scrotes who need a big slap.

Non Autistic people who claim to be, yes. Actual Autistic people won't understand being slapped.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:00 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

People always seek the easy way out and when they feel sad/pain and someone promises them instant happiness (drugs), the weak minded ones will just take the pill.

Sure there are more sensitive people than others. We're not all 100% alike. But, people far too often choose the happy pill before they even try anything else and fecking up your brain chemistry is nothing one should want. Or maybe these people just do not realise what could eventually go wrong. It's not just your brain, there are other health ill effects. Pain medication is pretty much always affecting your stomach, kidneys and liver.

Pumping children up with happy pills is even worse. One these, these tiny drug addicts will become adult drug addicts and will be running things, countries... having more drugged up children.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all going batshit, mental illness is on the rise, unhappy people everywhere, people worried about everything, including worried about being worried, etc. Lots of changes going on in the world at large, which seem to make the mirage of society look like a "real" thing. It's real to this extent: if you've got something and I want it, I can ask to buy it and you can state your price, and vice versa. That's real. Above and beyond that, everyone needs space to be an individual and to be a bit nuts. There isn't a strident need for everyone to express every thought in their heads. Instead of finding that space (perhaps to ride a crosser) they find all sorts of analysis and metrics and theories and deconstruction of the mind into compartments, conveniently under the headers "healthy" and "unhealthy". Well isn't that grand... To cap it all off, instead of heading down to the pub to get a sense of perspective with the boys, that's "wrong" now, so you can listen to the voices in your head (I mean, the internet) instead. Smoking is "wrong" too (and made prohibitively expensive), so it's silly to indulge that habit. A link between the growth in mental illness and the inaccessibility of smoking? I think there might be, as smokers are self-medicators. There may also be a link with the internet, smart phones, etc. Feeling depressed? Well how about going for a blat on the bike at midnight, thrashing it through town at illegal speeds, feeling cool, waking people up, being a bit antisocial and working out those nerves? That's "wrong" too, I suppose. Having a barbecue? Wrong (neighbours might not like the smell). Going to the reggae sound system and breaking out a joint to mighty towers of bass? Wrong. So many things are "wrong". So might as well just accept this mental illness narrative, eh. It's going to be here to stay.

I guess I don't have a point to make, but I just wanted to say my piece on this subject. There is no shortage of contortionists willing to teach you how to even BREATHE these days (how did I survive without knowing how to BREATHE all these years?) which means everyone has a right an unqualified opinion, so here's mine. It's all completely ludicrous. The root source of this is giving too much of a s**t. Stop giving a s**t and life gets easier. If you don't give a s**t you won't be anxious or depressed. If someone's being a cock because they're depressed and you don't give a s**t, you'll be less depressed too. Giving less of a s**t with every passing year is a life goal of mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6PNc9KN50M

Just an opinion.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Story time.
I was diagnosed with depression many years ago. My behaviour was interesting and doctors became involved..
Originally I refused medication but eventually tried it to see if it would work. They got me hooked on it - not hooked but my mind became weak. I would accept the convincing words of doctors and take another type of pill and so on.
I became a zombie. Even typing a phone number became a challenge. They hooked me for almost 17 years. Eventually though something in my head said no to it all. I did a quick stop with the meds I was on and without chatting to docs about it (because they'd convince me to stay on them). It was a rough 4 months I can tell you! Seems I could have gone psychotic doing that but hey ho - I was now free of them. All of that and without offer of counselling during those 17 years.

A year later I became interesting to doctors again through more odd behaviour. This time though a different person or rather a team of 6 did an assessment on me. The result? Seems I was not depressed. I never have been. I was incorrectly assessed originally and placed onto medication that would never work. All it ever did was melt my brain and dope me up.
My diagnosis (and subsequent testing) is very different to depression. Doctors get things wrong. Doctors can ruin lives. Never accept what one doctor says - get a second opinion or more if you can. A wrong move could ruin a life.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:53 - 05 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
People always seek the easy way out and when they feel sad/pain and someone promises them instant happiness (drugs), the weak minded ones will just take the pill.

Sure there are more sensitive people than others. We're not all 100% alike. But, people far too often choose the happy pill before they even try anything else and fecking up your brain chemistry is nothing one should want. Or maybe these people just do not realise what could eventually go wrong. It's not just your brain, there are other health ill effects. Pain medication is pretty much always affecting your stomach, kidneys and liver.

Pumping children up with happy pills is even worse. One these, these tiny drug addicts will become adult drug addicts and will be running things, countries... having more drugged up children.

Happy pills is a massive misnomer. It's true to say that antidepressants (and more specifically SSRIs) don't work for everyone, and they specifically don't work over a long term but they do genuinely help some people. The problem is that Prozac and similar were marketed as wonder drugs for people with depression, which isn't strictly true. If the depression comes from a lack of serotonin then it works. If it's some other brain chemistry issue, or a neurological problem, a lithium deficiency, or the person is just genuinely in a sort of mourning state then they don't work, especially not in the long term.

Again, this is not a subject that is black and white so making broad pronouncements doesn't really work.

For example:

Antidepressants don't work
People claim mental illness to get a free ride
Motorcyclists have beards and wear leather waistcoats
People should just 'snap out' of depression
Doctors don't understand mental illness
Autistic children are just naughty

Nope. In case you didn't guess, these statements are inaccurate. Like many political slogans, advertising or memes there might be a grain of truth to them, but fundamentally flawed. It's far more nuanced than all of that I'm afraid. We're so used to writing our stark opinions on the internet that we've forgotten how to empathise, and how to consider a wide range of people, and a wide range of disorders with a wide range of severity.

{edit} In response to Sister Sledge - Anyone who is on any antidepressant for more than 6 months without changing dose or re-evaluating whether they are needed is probably not benefiting from them, especially SSRI's. I found this out the hard way (not me but someone close to me).

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:23 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Happy pills is a massive misnomer. It's true to say that antidepressants (and more specifically SSRIs) don't work for everyone, and they specifically don't work over a long term but they do genuinely help some people. The problem is that Prozac and similar were marketed as wonder drugs for people with depression, which isn't strictly true. If the depression comes from a lack of serotonin then it works. If it's some other brain chemistry issue, or a neurological problem, a lithium deficiency, or the person is just genuinely in a sort of mourning state then they don't work, especially not in the long term.

Fluoxetine was quite possibly the scariest med the quacks ever put me on, if you ever want a rollercoaster ride on the mental train that's the one you need.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:02 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the pill changing for me they'd do it fortnightly. Eventually they'd come to a point where the only option was try one from a previous week which they did and knowing fine well it wouldn't work..
I do agree they work on some people and should be at least tried. What I see now is a total lack of funding for counselling services - I reckon counselling is a far better option. It's like mourning. Aww he's sad let's give him a pill. No - give him a shoulder to cry on, a person to talk things over with.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:15 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
"Disorders" like this are handed out far too frequently now, to a generation or two who have decided they're never responsible for their own behaviour, actions and stupidity.

On the other hand, you have people like me. I was a "bad kid" throughout almost all of my schooling. It actuallly turned out I have "issues" (Not going into them, but they're properly diagnosed, by consultants, not a 5 min GP visit). I wasn't diagnosed until I was pretty much done with school etc, it just wasn't a thing then. Now, it doesn't affect the way in which I live my life. I have a moral compass, I follow that. What it does do, is make me look at my own behaviour, and do things differently, knowing what is, and is not, acceptable to people without or unaware of my issues. At the end of the day, they're my issues, not everyone elses. I make accomodations to work around them.

That said, a lot of what you say is, for a change, accurate. Lots of people find it easy enough to fake having issues, which means they don't have to take responsibility for their own actions.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:54 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sink or swim IMO.

Sure people as everyone has said and most have had, can have difficult times, temporary wellbeing or medical or mental health issues. It's life it happens and people deal with it, get help/support and work through the problems or they don't and die.

If person is being a total cock and doing stuff that's too bad or much to ignore, and was doing this with their natural personality for years before. Then just tell them they are a crazy fucked up wanker who needs to sort their shit out and you want nothing to do with them until such time.

A wanker is a wanker and don't let someone who walks round with a label and a box of pills be excluded from this judgment or how you would deal with one.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:01 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
They don't get paid by drug companies for prescribing drugs.

It does cost the GP's practise to write prescriptions but they don't get paid for it.

Good luck with getting a prescription for diazepam. Laughing
I'm going by what was said by GPs I work with.

This might explain it more https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/30/individual-nhs-doctors-receiving-100000-per-year-from-drugs-firm/ so I might be wrong in suggesting they get paid per prescription, but it is generally far more lucrative for them to prescribe more anti-depressants rather than fewer.

And yes I got prescribed Valium (Diazepam) a few years ago. Maybe things have changed now. If I was smart about it I could have got more, but I was eating them like smarties and decided I'd better be honest and say "I used the whole packet, don't give me any more", in the interest of my own health.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:09 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
The question is, did it improve your condition be being told you had a defect, being labelled as wrong?

To a point. The label itself doesn't bother me. I don't care what people think of me as long as I 'm not being a complete fucknugget. With the diagnosis itself however, the consultants etc explained a fuckton about why I behaved in certain manners, and helped me recognise when certain behaviours were materialising. That makes life easier in regards to interacting with others, what behaviour is and is not acceptable. You would have to be quite observant to realise this process is happening, most people don't realise there's issues until I tell them. The key thing is having the ability to adjust and deal with whatever issues you have. Knowing what is happening, and why, helps a fuckton with having a "normal" life. Some people have issues that means this just will not happen, no matter how much help is given. As with any illness, some people are beyond repair, and it's no-ones 'fault'.

Autism is a very broad term, with many, many different ways of appearing. Some are like me and appear pretty normal, despite what's happening on the inside, others are incomprehensible, dribbling wrecks, and there is also everything inbetween. We're still discovering new things about it. The Bubonic plague decimated massive parts of the worlds population in the 1300's, but now it's treated with antibiotics. No doubt we'll learn more and find effective treatments/causes/preventions for the various types and variations of Autism in the future.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:46 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

Fluoxetine was quite possibly the scariest med the quacks ever put me on, if you ever want a rollercoaster ride on the mental train that's the one you need.

I don't think it's specifically that antidepressant, it's a generic form of prozac anyway - it's an SSRI. But yes, I do have very close experience of it, and the person in question is now off it and OK. She says she's better without it, but it definitely helped in the initial phase. What shouldn't have happened, is the docs just let her keep going and let 6 months become three years.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:41 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any mental issues.

I'm just a prick.

Twisted Evil

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:49 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I don't have any mental issues.

I'm just a prick.

Twisted Evil

Thumbs Up

I'd say the same about myself but I'd use the terms intolerant and unsympathetic.

and cuntish, and ***phobic and ***ist................

Laughing

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:17 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the quest for a label is mostly led by greed. I spoke to an old mate the other night and he was telling me how a woman we know has been taking her kids to the Dr's claiming they're being violent to each other etc..

They collect whatever label they can and get the appropriate benefits.
He also spoke of an asian guy we both know with 3 kids. He managed to get claims in for 2 of them and is trying for the 3rd. He was unemployed for years but has now managed to buy a 3 bedroom house on a new estate totally converted for his 'disabled' daughters. Thing is..said mate knows the daughters and says theyd need to be top rate actors to appear 'ill' in any way.

I remembered my nephew was diagnosed with ADHD and some other bullshit. A quick call to bro confirmed he was getting nearly 11,000 a year just for aforementioned child. He's lost that now. Laughing

Furhter investigation reveals that these new illnesses are now being recognised for the blue badge scheme.

Anyway..I'm fine now rant over.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:34 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem for GPs us there's such a lack of psychiatric hospital resources they are left to do the diagnostic work. If a person oresents and ticks off enough boxes on the diagnistic criteria then the GP has ni othet option but to prescribe medication and by default a diagnisis.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:35 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Good luck with getting a prescription for diazepam. Laughing

I have one Wink

My (uninformed) opinion on the drugs before I took them was that they aren't great and shouldn't be prescribed unless nothing else work or people are a danger to themselves.

Being in a really bad way I would have taken anything to get me out of it. I'm currently on Setraline(sp) which seems to be good for me. I don't notice it until I forget to take it for a few days and start feeling off.

I have Diazepam too, to be taken as needed when I was really bad it would calm me down fairly quickly. I needed to take a fair amount though 15mg. Now if I a having really trouble sleeping I pop some and they send me off nicely. I would say I use it once a month if that now.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:33 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a very long, sleepless and tedious night supervising a friend who was (almost literally) bouncing off the fucking walls having been prescribed diazepam for anxiety.

It doesn't sedate or calm down everyone who takes it. You'd have thought she'd taken speed. Bad speed at that.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 230 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4