Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mental Health Diagnosis - License to be a Prick?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:41 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Happy pills is a massive misnomer.

Yes, when I say happy pills, I mean any pill that will make you feel better, in any conceivable way. Pain killers, anxiety medication, sleeping pills... what every just brings you happiness (not in pain anymore, not anxious, sleeping like well...). Speaking more about day to day issues, not serious mental health issues, that require proper diagnosis.

By the way, I never take drugs. Being sad, sleepy/can't sleep, feeling pain, anxious, anger... are all very normal human reactions to what's going on around them. However, many people do not want to feel these things, have these issues, so they chose the easy way out pill every time it is presented to them and that's just wrong. Especially when people want to alter their children's behaviour with medication, even when it's not necessary, at all. Also, do not forget about painkillers and people ''eating'' them like candy. Just look at what ibuprofen (non-prescription pain medication) does to your body, when you're using it.

I'm not trying to ridicule anyone. All I was trying to say was, don't go for the pill when there is no need for it. It was also a quick comment before I went to sleep, so I made the issue a bit too simplified.

As I've got the time now, I'm gonna ask a question: What about social acceptance of said above medication? I'm sort of aiming my question on 'mericans where alcohol = bad, prescription drugs/opioids = cool.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:33 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

But there's no cure, so all a diagnosis does is give you an excuse or at least an explanation for your actions surely?

How would being labelled differently make a blind bit of difference to how you behave? How does it help?

It was more of a "We know you do X in Y situation. We know You can't help it. Here's why, here's how to help modify that, here's the signs it's about to happen/happening". It's not a cure, but it gives me the tools I need to live life in a way that anyone without issues would. Without these, I was not a pleasant person.

The huge part is the help, advice, insights from trained professionals etc, that came along with the label. I was diagnosed later in my childhood, but that was still 25 years ago. There just isn't the rescources that there used to be, budgets cut, spread to thinly, and of course, the fakers that "need" to have a disability so it's not their fault.

It's not the label. The label helps to explain the very rare times it's used, why I do things a certain way. That's it. It's not an excuse, it's more of a "I can't help it". As far as labels go, I really don't care. I make auty jokes, I laugh at myself when I do auty things. Life goes on.

FWIW - I claim nothing, I get no help and nor do I want it. I take no drugs for it. Once I got the initial diagnoses & help, it took a couple of years to "figure things out" and be able to work with it in a fashion that lets me live a normal life. After that, I just "got on with it". I work a normal job, have normal bills, have a normal relationship.

I'm not going into details, my particular diagnosis is fairly unusual, even now, and I'm a guinea pig for textbooks because of my early diagnoses and the way I have managed to deal with things. A little googling on certain issues will doxx me in a heartbeat, and I know there's a few people on here that have honed that particular skill.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone ever been born with a label or believes that this is possible either through faulty genetics, hormone or nutrient/dietary deficiency, or a parent who had a related condition/stress in pregnancy or through substance abuse?

And if so do you label yourself as faulty or inadequate in any way?

The reason I ask is that there's alot of people that claim that there labels were due to the way they were treated when young, or through abuse, family breakup, no father or mother figure, or a traumatic event in their lives. I can quite easily imagine being able to understand how such life events could fuck up a persons head or behaviour. But surely there are too many labelled people for them to have all had shit in their life cause their problems?

There has to be some inherited and genetic conditions that cause some people to be born with a mental or personality disorder. I guess the thing here is that it's hard to diagnose some problems/labels until a child is at least toddler if not school age?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:19 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had it in my day, if you mis behaved you got a slap, learnt from it and respected elders and those in authority.
Autism, spectrum.....what a load of shit. A badge of honour to be a twat and make everybody else’s lives a misery too.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:17 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Has anyone ever been born with a label or believes that this is possible either through faulty genetics, hormone or nutrient/dietary deficiency, or a parent who had a related condition/stress in pregnancy or through substance abuse?

The reason I ask is that there's alot of people that claim that there labels were due to the way they were treated when young, or through abuse, family breakup, no father or mother figure, or a traumatic event in their lives. I can quite easily imagine being able to understand how such life events could fuck up a persons head or behaviour. But surely there are too many labelled people for them to have all had shit in their life cause their problems?

There has to be some inherited and genetic conditions that cause some people to be born with a mental or personality disorder. I guess the thing here is that it's hard to diagnose some problems/labels until a child is at least toddler if not school age?

Some of it's nature, and some of it's nurture. There is no obvious either or as I said before.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:25 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
a traumatic event in their lives

Physical trauma to the head means that it's organic.

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:32 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anxiety in parents = anxiety in offspring

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:30 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grubscrew wrote:
Never had it in my day, if you mis behaved you got a slap, learnt from it and respected elders and those in authority.
Autism, spectrum.....what a load of shit. A badge of honour to be a twat and make everybody else’s lives a misery too.

You haven't got a clue, sure it might be some badge handed out like cheap candy nowadays but it has absolutely fuck all to do with misbehaving. I had a good upbringing, didn't get up to half the shit that 'normal' kids did but there is some stuff about me that makes people uneasy.
For example, our 16 year old dog was suffering from lung failure and having a hard time breathing, I'm not great on the empathy scale but was somewhat surprised when the missus wasn't overly enthusiastic about my suggestion of putting the dog out of her misery using a plastic bag. My reasoning was that she was suffering, it wasn't going to get any better and a vet would charge a bloody arm and a leg to euthanise her with the same result but the missus didn't see it that way, ( The dog died unaided last week). I'd do the same for the wife, if she were suffering and asked me to, bet you wouldn't even have the balls to, let alone do it without being a blubbering pussy.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:15 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

With copied behaviour a classic is a mother being scared of spiders. The child sees this and grows up the same.

Modern medicine is allowing medics to spot and diagnose far more problems with the human body and that will explain why more are diagnosed. Yes there will be people jumping on the bandwagon and faking things. Can anyone remember that lass from the USA who claimed a jab crippled her and she began walking very strangely? It hit world news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ztiAN9k584

She faked it. Lots believed her. If she can do that then people can also do it with a hidden illness such as mental health.

The original question: A licence to then be a prick?
Nope. For what's happened to me I could well have continued that rot. My story isn't nice. Instead I chose to make it stop at me.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:57 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grubscrew wrote:

Idiot. Autism is a genuine condition. You should meet some of the clients i have. But I doubt you could cope.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:23 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

Current thinking is that personality disorders are heavily dependent on environmental factors in childhood. If course there may be genetic pre-dispisition but even then that doesn't neccesarilt mean theres a genetic "fault" at play as in some circumstances that predisposition might be advantageous in evolutionary terms but inaoropriate in moderb social environments.
PD and Borderline PDs are reallt interesting and a much neglected area.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:29 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borderline personality disorder needs a better name because people think it means that person is very close to having a personality disorder.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are having children at a later age than in previous generations.

https://www.nhs.uk/news/pregnancy-and-child/autism-and-parental-age/

I know for a fact that SEN schools are required to have a staff:pupil ratio of 1:1, and that they use agency staff to fill the gap. This is not education in the usual sense; it's more like babysitting. The kids are not well-served by this system - they are just kept occupied with a range of distractions and toys, and they're not really helped - they just get older. Part-time workers from agencies tend to have a much lower level of qualification than teachers, and they're expensive to hire. This means substantial local authority investment goes into SEN schools and SEN units within mainstream schools. SEN teaching assistants, even more than the mainstream education sector, tend to be women. Working part-time means that this occupation can be supplemented by universal credits, that they can have and look after their own children on their own schedule, etc. This facilitates an environment in which the cycle continues (older parents, single parents, more autism). It's a growth sector. There's nothing new about middle class professionals who think they can "have it all" having kids at a later age and then dumping them at nurseries and, later, boarding schools. However, it used to be a minority thing.

Expect autism to be on the rise.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:00 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in modern society these people with personality disorders, actually have a desirable trait that is no use to them in the environment they live in, but could be in a different place or lifestyle or in a survival situation?? Laughing

It's known in mental health circles that typically there's a far higher proportion of Black Afro-Carribean men who are pre-disposed to severe mental health issues and also to extremely high levels of violence and conditions such as Psychosis etc.

To make the justification and argument that these individuals have a useful and desirable personality trait, but one that their living environment and society does not regard as advantageous is ludicrous!

Are we trying to get away from saying, doing bad things because your a bad or mad cunt is not wrong or something you can lay blame and punishment at the person for, because they have a special desirable personality trait that they can't express and utilise freely in society?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:52 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Borderline personality disorder needs a better name because people think it means that person is very close to having a personality disorder.

My eldest has this. I think the phrase originates from the fact that it displays itself as "borderline" examples of multiple other mental heath disorders.

For example, there might be manic and depressive phases "so you're bipolar" might be the diagnosis. However, the phases shift too quickly for that (hours rather than days.) Confusing too is that the person will probably only have 3 or 4 aspects out of a dozen or so things that describe BPD.

CBT is probably the only thing proven to help. Good luck getting that from the NHS though!

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

CBT is probably the only thing proven to help. Good luck getting that from the NHS though!

Huh, is that a recent thing? I was sent on one of those courses ( not that it helped much). besides being the only bloke present the place was full of whinging single mothers who were in desperate need of a couple of coffee mornings a week and a good regular shagging.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:14 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called borderline because it's between neurosis and psychosis, not because it's between multiple other mental health disorders.

Manic phases are kind of part of it.

You're looking for DBT rather than CBT however it's not one size fits all.

Group CBT is very different to individual one on one CBT.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:35 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have fun:

https://www.psycom.net/borderline-personality-test/

I was at maximum. They're correct.

I always see people and life this way - everyone is broken somehow. Sometimes physically but often mentally. Everyone has a broken wire or two. It's what makes people interesting. Obviously some people have important wires broken and they're hard work.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:04 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The term "borderline" refers to the level of fynctioning of the personality. We all have a oetsinality, that function as a part of our psychopathology has a purpose in tbat it allows and aids us to behave as social animals. If that personality is lacking in sime way in its capacity it moves to the borderline of being functional. The term borderline is also used for people of low intelligence where its easier to see what thus means in how a petson may syruggle to function in a society.
Feathers McGraw This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Flame). Unhide this post / all posts.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 08 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Bhud wrote:

Expect autism to be on the rise.

Currently diagnosed at 1 in 5 as being on the spectrum. Give over.

1 in 3 births in the UK now are to foreign born mothers, maybe we should be looking elsewhere, especially the inbreeding from some cultures, instead of a gradual rise in the age of mothers giving birth?

I love how the badge is often used as an excuse for bad parenting, then the NHS look for an excuse for excessively handing out that badge. Always someone else to blame eh?

You really are an odious cunt

Is there any thread you won't pour your racist vitriol in?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:00 - 08 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Currently diagnosed at 1 in 5 as being on the spectrum.

America: "In 2018 the CDC [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention] determined that approximately 1 in 59 children is diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder (ASD)."

UK: "There are around 700,000 people on the autism spectrum in the UK – that's more than 1 in 100."

Wink

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:13 - 08 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The past:

Unruly kid? Give them a slap. Still unruly? Slap them harder. Getting to the point where they end up in hospital? Oh well, bad kid.

The present:

Unruly kid? Should give them a slap. Still unruly? Maybe look to see if something else is going on...

There may be cases where people are jumping to step two a little too quickly but that's not to say the methods of the past are valid.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:34 - 10 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
mpd72 wrote:
"Disorders" like this are handed out far too frequently now, to a generation or two who have decided they're never responsible for their own behaviour, actions and stupidity.

It seems around 1 in 5 kids from poor parents, who act like arseholes are now excused by being diagnoses as having mild "autism", where in my day, they were just little shits and got a clip behind the ear and were told to change their behaviour.

Nobody is responsible for their own actions in modern victim creation society.

MDMA, your compassion and understanding never fails to make me well up and promise myself I can be a better person...

He's right though
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 231 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4