Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Further Education

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:11 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Further Education Reply with quote

A lot of job adverts I'm looking at specify "degree level" education. I've been tapping away at the keyboard and churning out code on and off for over 25 years commercially and TBH rarely needed to submit a CV let alone reel off some list of educational achievements supposedly still relevant today...

So am I going to miss out on a plum role or is experience > degree?

I have been thinking I should do something like a degree anyway while I still have all my faculties and enough life left in me to make use of it! Thing is I could foresee doing something like a Computer Studies degree as mind numbingly boring and technically useless to me (beyond the piece of paper.)

Something different then. Psychology and/or philosophy has an appeal - I went on a short psychology course a few years ago and I found it both interesting and personally helpful. However, is it a case of "you have a degree" or "you need a BSc, no BA shit here pls" ? For the latter there are "Computer Science and Psychology" courses.

Finally, it'd would have to be part time, work from home stuff. Open University?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Degree level' seems open to interpretation. I'm sure 25 years relevant experience outstrips any paper qualification that could also be 20+ years old and out of date.

I would be inclined to lie. Its not like you're going to be impersonating a medical professional or anything like.

Is there not some kind of professional body you can join so you can put some letters after your name? If I could be bothered I could probably join the IET and become MIET...

Bon chance!

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:29 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apply anyway. List your experience and what you can do. Maybe include an example of your work if it's the kind of thing you could do that with.

The people recruiting have a list of skills they need, if you have those, they'll want to take a look. I've got a mate who is a team leader with some sort of coding jiggery-pokery and he really struggles to find people who can do all the things he needs. I know for a fact he wouldn't care where they learned them providing they can do them.

One thing for sure, you're not caught in the experience trap. In actualy real world work, experience trumps qualification. It's only government agencies who operate the opposite principal.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:32 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: Further Education Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Something different then. Psychology and/or philosophy has an appeal

Me too. A sure sign we're getting old - have you considered studying history? Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:01 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: Further Education Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

Me too. A sure sign we're getting old - have you considered studying history? Laughing

I do that anyway, informally Smile You get a sense of scale with history: consider how long the Roman Empire lasted and then look at the EU Wink History is very interesting but I could only dip into it when I'm in the right frame of mind.

Studying psychology, on the other hand, has been a tangible benefit in my own life and it's not a topic I fully grasp, as yet.

Any thoughts on home studying like the OU?

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:07 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean, after failing all my O levels I did an engineering apprenticeship and after discovering that I liked daylight over working in a factory I left. Ive been self employed ever since.

Now my health has precluded me working in what is effectively an unheated shed all winter , I was casting around for something to do.
Someone pointed out that you could lay the academic year over when I didn't want to work with an overlap at either end .
To cut a long story short, I ended up doing Philosophy which included an optional block , I chose Psychology. I absolutely loved all of it. I did my studies full time for a year and now pursuing my studies with the OU. So is philosophy a load of bollocks ?........ well yes, however it is also the most fundamental of studies, the search for truth. Something we need all the more at the present time. send me a PM if you want

Last edited by steve the grease on 16:09 - 06 Sep 2019; edited 1 time in total

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:08 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: Further Education Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

Is it to do with being old? I suppose it is in a way. You have time to look back and see the world a different way from being a ratrace follower.

I love history. I love reading about it, going to historical sites and trying to imagine life in those times.

Lucy Worsley helps as well Wub

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:06 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: Further Education Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Wucy Worswey helps as well Wub

FTFY Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:15 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: Further Education Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
You get a sense of scale with history: consider how long the Roman Empire lasted and then look at the EU Wink History is very interesting but I could only dip into it when I'm in the right frame of mind.

Studying psychology, on the other hand, has been a tangible benefit in my own life and it's not a topic I fully grasp, as yet.

I've always read a lot on history, mostly military, but in the last few years I've read much more on science, philosophy, psychology, and also theories of mind and consciousness. I just don't think I personally could carve a career out of any of it Sad

I'd also like to make my living as a reincarnation of Stevie Ray Vaughan Laughing

I think my biggest problem is that too many things interest me - one lifetime just isn't enough! Trouble is, it means I skim all these different subjects, but can never settle into anything, never get really good at anything before I'm distracted by something else. Perhaps if i could convince myself that, "here's something I really think I've got potential for", but never got that feeling about any one thing. So I remain pretty useless Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:15 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a degree, and only one place I've applied in the last 15 years asked about it, and they were French. They gave me the job, but I think they might have wanted to wind up the Rosbif.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:39 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the impression that the programming trade in particular doesn't really care about degree certification, unless you're looking to work on a several petabyte, million user database or something similar, for which computer science knowledge will likely be preferred.

I think if you undertake degree level study, you need to understand that you're only doing it for the joy of learning. This is especially so if you do psychology. A computer science degree will almost definitely create more job options, but it may not weigh up against the time and cost of the degree itself (depending on what stage you are currently at in your life/career/earnings).

You make an interesting point about the difference between BSc and BA. I think some recruiters may pick up on it but, as others have said, real-life work experience and skills will probably still count for a lot more.

Regarding OU: My brother is about to start an engineering course with OU (starting with a HND/Foundation then moving to full degree level). I've seen a lot about OU lately and I get the impression it's reasonably well valued as a legit institution now. It's probably down to opinion though. Some people probably still think the only good uni is a redbrick, whereas others will value the quality of the degree regardless of where it came from.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:55 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about now but my bro back in the day - 30 years ago - became an analyst programmer for the ministry (DSS) in pensions. He'd a simple O level in computing. His ticket in was because of a willingness to learn and advance himself and shape his own career path. They liked that it seems.

What surprised me was having a recent look into the DSS jobs portal they don't necessarily list solid qualifications as a free ride in. Their requirements for jobs (not all jobs!) are very much steered towards different skills you have as a person in day to day life. Problem solving methodology etc.
I have a friend who now works in the pensions service and she left school with absolutely no qualifications (how do people manage that?). Her career in early life was being a baby machine. 7 kids later she applied for a job there and was taken on. She's excelling.

I suppose it's going to depend on where you're looking to go work. It depends on companies and requirements.
You also need to factor in costs of getting the degree. It might well land you more money with work but given that you're a erm.. mature person will you have enough time to pay the costs of the degree back?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:36 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: Further Education Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
[
Any thoughts on home studying like the OU?

My mate did an OU degree in his late forties, flunked out first time around in his late teens and I guess he had something to prove to himself - no other reason. He is now and always was an underachiever albeit a philosophical one. Digs gardens and trims bushes for OAPs..

..cue juvenile sniggering

PS As as far as I can tell the degree course itself was fine. Didn't really quiz him on it tbh

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:26 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started doing a computer science degree about 2013 with the OU, for similar reason to yourself.

It's a fairly big commitment i think they said about 16 hours a week. Which I was trying to fit in around a full time job and a homelife.

The courses i did were mixed some were great, others were exceptionally poor. Tbe course fees were pretty reasonable when i first started. But then the government removed the subsidies and the cap on tuition fees and they put their prices up inline with the top bricks and mortar uni.

That stopped me continuing with it as i didn't feel i was getting value for money.

As for jobs requiring a degree, not having a degree hasn't held me back at all, 3-5 years experience is considered equivalent to all of places

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:28 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting, yet again BCF provides, thanx Smile

My kids both have their own homes now so I have a bit more free time; 16 hours though! 1 or 2 each day + extra at the weekend... for 6 years Shocked (For a full degree from what I'm reading on the OU site.)

I'm not much for life plans but if I can either get a better job or squeeze a pay rise out of my existing job I could put the extra money towards the course.

The other thing is IT is something you have to sprint to keep up with. At some point I'll hit my limit and I won't be able to outpace the kids. I'm not saying psychology doesn't progress but it's not like the pace of IT (anyone remember Silverlight?)

chickenstrip wrote:
I think my biggest problem is that too many things interest me - one lifetime just isn't enough! Trouble is, it means I skim all these different subjects, but can never settle into anything, never get really good at anything before I'm distracted by something else. Perhaps if i could convince myself that, "here's something I really think I've got potential for", but never got that feeling about any one thing. So I remain pretty useless :Laughing:

Much the same! I've tried being a musician: I got to a reasonable proficiency in the clarinet, sax, guitar and bass at various times but it's not really me. I'm glad of the experience though. Certainly I don't think you can appreciate a film like "Whiplash" without a musical background.

I tend to latch onto a topic and at least learn enough to hold a conversation at a dinner party. Last family reunion I got involved with a serious conversation over renewable energy and Thorium reactors (a lot of mad scientists on my mum's side!)

It's amazing how much people open up if you know something about their interests - asking pertinent things rather than just staring blankly and nodding occasionally Very Happy

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:49 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Very interesting, yet again BCF provides, thanx Smile

My kids both have their own homes now so I have a bit more free time; 16 hours though! 1 or 2 each day + extra at the weekend... for 6 years Shocked (For a full degree from what I'm reading on the OU site.)

It seems sensible when you think about it, oh its 2 hours a night in the week and 4hrs saturday and sunday. But it is every night for the duration of the course.

I thought "oh i can do that will the wife watches her soaps or whatever"

But it doesn't take much to completely derail that, a late finish from work or a the wife wanting to go out somewhere and your soon playing catch up. Working till 1-2am to get an assignment in for the dead line.

Its not so bad when its a topic you're interested in, but its a fucking grind when its something your not or your struggling with.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

I'm not much for life plans but if I can either get a better job or squeeze a pay rise out of my existing job I could put the extra money towards the course.

You can get a student loan to pay for the an OU degree if you need/want

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:21 - 08 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

16 hrs a week for 6 years!! That implies full time students are putting in 32 hour a week over the three years or closer to 50 if you discount the extensive holidays Shocked .
Things must have moved on since my day

@ Easy-X - not sure BCF has an active 'Dinner Party' circuit btw Wink

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:45 - 08 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
16 hrs a week for 6 years!! That implies full time students are putting in 32 hour a week over the three years or closer to 50 if you discount the extensive holidays Shocked .
Things must have moved on since my day

@ Easy-X - not sure BCF has an active 'Dinner Party' circuit btw Wink

I had to treat my studies like a full time job. Anything else would have meant definite failure.

I don't know about non-STEM subjects, but for physics it was hard study even in first year. Anything less and you would be screwed for future classes which required that knowledge. The constant mid-week parties and stereotypical student shenanigans were for other folk on other courses.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 08 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
16 hours though! 1 or 2 each day + extra at the weekend... for 6 years Shocked (For a full degree from what I'm reading on the OU site.)

If you can genuinely put in 16 hours a week you'll do it faster than 6 years. I managed to do the equivalent of 2 years (if it was a bricks n mortar) in 2 1/2 years. You fucking melt doing it though especially when it's modules that really don't interest you (there will be many of these after you get the 1st year "doss" modules out the way).

Hat's off to you if you finish one though. Life, combined with the price increases mentioned earlier and me no longer being in the window to get the Army to pay for most of it means I'm 2 year 3 modules from getting my BSc and to be honest I'll probably never get it finished.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:27 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
So you're well into your mid 40's? A bit late now to go full time work dodging isn't it? If 25 years experience doesn't trump a degree in "Media Studies", there's something seriously wrong with the interview process.

As many unemployed students find, having a degree does not guarantee you're employable and likely to walk into a 6 figure salary. It can take years before they accept that the roles they could get are really not beneath them or their real life ability.

Ahh, the cynical cunt speaks again.

Ever considered that maybe this bloke has the savings to do whatever the hell he likes with his time, including "full time work dodging" ?

Are people not allowed to differ from the hate-filled Daily Mail version cardboard cutout of humanity you've accepted as the norm?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:33 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think the conclusion was that while a computing degree would be helpful it wouldn't really be worth the time, effort and money at his point.

Potentially an exercise in self improvement... and I did mention part time studies and OU several times.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:20 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you fancy learning new skills why not consider evening classes? You might well find something you're either missing as a skill or just fancy doing anyway.
Often those evening classes come with discounts and subsidies depending on your personal circumstances.
Might not even be computing - could be basic welding or anything.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 229 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2