Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How easy is it to repair a Piaggio zip? (Problems listed)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Joewrite
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:10 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: How easy is it to repair a Piaggio zip? (Problems listed) Reply with quote

First off I know absolutely nothing about mechanics or bikes in general, however I’ve been offered a spares and repair Piaggio zip for £250 and I’m really interested in getting into this sort of thing, I’d like an apprenticeship in mechanics soon and maybe this is a good place to start? Apparently it needs a new HT lead, the carburettor will need cleaning and it will need a new plug, how much is this likely to cost me parts wise and how complicated will it be, if all else fails how much will it be to take it to a garage and get it repaired? I’m unsure if there are other problems this is just what I’ve been told. Thanks

Edit: I am also just very interested in the cheap ped, I turn 16 soon so I’m looking for one

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:25 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was as simple as they've told you then they wouldn't be selling it as spares or repair.

Joewrite
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:30 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
If it was as simple as they've told you then they wouldn't be selling it as spares or repair.

He says that he has no need for the bike anymore, he doesn’t have the time or interest as he’ll never use it again

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 20:31 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will need a lot more work than that, seeing as you have just described about an hour's work and less than a tenner in parts and sundries. If that was all it needed, it wouldn't be spares or repair for £250.

Budget £250 in parts to make it roadworthy, another £100 for parts you break whilst learning, and a fair amount of tools.

You won't make any money on this, but you might learn a bit about fixing scooters.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:34 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joewrite wrote:
He says that he has no need for the bike anymore, he doesn’t have the time or interest as he’ll never use it again

He's lying.

And if he's lying about that then he will be lying about other things to do with the ped.

Joewrite
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:34 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
It will need a lot more work than that, seeing as you have just described about an hour's work and less than a tenner in parts and sundries. If that was all it needed, it wouldn't be spares or repair for £250.

Budget £250 in parts to make it roadworthy, another £100 for parts you break whilst learning, and a fair amount of tools.

You won't make any money on this, but you might learn a bit about fixing scooters.

I’m not looking to make any money, I just want a nice moped as I turn 16 soon and this seems like a nice cheap deal and a learning experience while I’m at it

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 20:41 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be learning experience. Probably not cheap in the end.

Joewrite
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:44 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
It will be learning experience. Probably not cheap in the end.

So you reckon It’d be cheaper to buy a used one that is still working?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:45 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The learning experience will be that if a seller tells you a £250 spares or repairs bike only needs £10-20 in parts to be fixed then that seller is taking shit.

It will be an expensive lesson.

By all means spend £250 on a spares or repair bike but do at least try and pick a seller who's got the decency to tell you what they really know is wrong with it. All that seller is doing is telling you what you want to hear. Who knows, maybe someone used the same line on him when he bought it but I can guarantee you one thing, if it was as easy and cheap to repair as he's telling you it then he'd have done it himself and would be selling it for at least twice as much.

Joewrite
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:48 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
The learning experience will be that if a seller tells you a £250 spares or repairs bike only needs £10-20 in parts to be fixed then that seller is taking shit.

It will be an expensive lesson.

By all means spend £250 on a spares or repair bike but do at least try and pick a seller who's got the decency to tell you what they really know is wrong with it. All that seller is doing is telling you what you want to hear. Who knows, maybe someone used the same line on him when he bought it but I can guarantee you one thing, if it was as easy and cheap to repair as he's telling you it then he'd have done it himself and would be selling it for at least twice as much.

Yeah that’s a very good point actually, thank you, I probably will not end up buying this after all.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:05 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joewrite wrote:

Where, roughly, are you in the UK?

Joewrite
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:06 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Joewrite wrote:

About 30mins from Leeds, West Yorkshire

Joewrite
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:31 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Joewrite wrote:

What makes you ask?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:34 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

£250 sounds a bit steep unless it's in really good nick.

I got given a scooter with roughly the same described problems... for nothing! (And offered a similar scooter, in a similar state for "a drink" a few months later.)

Time will be the main thing: hours pissing about cleaning the carb of old fuel. Cursing from the lack of some special tool to dismantle the CVT. Discovering the exhaust is rusted through... etc. Check out my "Turd Scooter" thread in Show & Tell to get a taste of what you might be up against.

For £250 I'd be expecting something like a running bike with no MoT needing some minor work 'cos for £500 you might find a running scooter with an MoT.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:38 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joewrite wrote:

Roughly speaking yes, if it's at least working when you buy it then that gives you a bit of a head start on one which time and money spending on it before it will even move.

For the price you're looking at the bike isn't going to be perfect and will at least benefit from having a bit of time and money put into it. What you really want is for the seller not to fuck you around or be economical with the truth, that is what would make your life easier at this point.

If you post details rough details like you did in this thread or even better if you can post links to the adverts then we'll give you some idea of if the ped is worth having a look at. Mr. Green

Joewrite
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:40 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
£250 sounds a bit steep unless it's in really good nick.

I got given a scooter with roughly the same described problems... for nothing! (And offered a similar scooter, in a similar state for "a drink" a few months later.)

Time will be the main thing: hours pissing about cleaning the carb of old fuel. Cursing from the lack of some special tool to dismantle the CVT. Discovering the exhaust is rusted through... etc. Check out my "Turd Scooter" thread in Show & Tell to get a taste of what you might be up against.

For £250 I'd be expecting something like a running bike with no MoT needing some minor work 'cos for £500 you might find a running scooter with an MoT.

Externally there’s not a scratch on it and it looks fantastic, are you sure? Because usually I’ve seen these go in working condition for at least £700?

Joewrite
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:42 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Joewrite wrote:

Roughly speaking yes, if it's at least working when you buy it then that gives you a bit of a head start on one which time and money spending on it before it will even move.

For the price you're looking at the bike isn't going to be perfect and will at least benefit from having a bit of time and money put into it. What you really want is for the seller not to fuck you around or be economical with the truth, that is what would make your life easier at this point.

If you post details rough details like you did in this thread or even better if you can post links to the adverts then we'll give you some idea of if the ped is worth having a look at. Mr. Green

I understand the bikes not gonna be perfect at all, hell, thats one of the reasons I’m considering it Very Happy here’s a link to the listing: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F123843276645 thanks

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joewrite wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

About 30mins from Leeds, West Yorkshire

A bit too far from here then (Kisbee). Oh well.

Keep an eye open locally as well as eBay, gumtree etc. Do a search near you, e.g.:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_sadis=25&_stpos=LS1%205AT&_fspt=1&LH_ItemCondition=3000&_nkw=50cc%20scooter&LH_PrefLoc=99&_dcat=422&rt=nc&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo&_udhi=525 (NOTE: I don't like theYamaha that shows up, it's just an examp;le search).

You can tailor your own search to wherever you are & how far you want to travel.

Joewrite
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:52 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

A bit too far from here then (Kisbee). Oh well.

Keep an eye open locally as well as eBay, gumtree etc. Do a search near you, e.g.:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_sadis=25&_stpos=LS1%205AT&_fspt=1&LH_ItemCondition=3000&_nkw=50cc%20scooter&LH_PrefLoc=99&_dcat=422&rt=nc&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo&_udhi=525 (NOTE: I don't like theYamaha that shows up, it's just an examp;le search).

You can tailor your own search to wherever you are & how far you want to travel.

I actually have that listing on my watchlist haha, I will do and I’ll probably ask on here again before I buy anything, thanks a lot

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:53 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

"please do not press buy it now or i will send you a bolt!"

Oh. Laughing

Joewrite
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:57 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
"please do not press buy it now or i will send you a bolt!"

Oh. Laughing

Glad I didn’t let my impulse buying decisions take over Laughing

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joewrite wrote:
I’ll probably ask on here again before I buy anything, thanks a lot

It is better to buy something with bigger-than-10" wheels IMO. 12 is good.

Joewrite
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:07 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

It is better to buy something with bigger-than-10" wheels IMO. 12 is good.

I’ll take that into consideration then, thanks

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:07 - 08 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I clicked the listing... that has to be the ugliest example of a scooter I've ever seen.

Sorry Shifty

That aside, "2 smoke" and "used to work and then it stopped working" Shocked

No, find a 4-stroke for your first bike. Much easier.

Joewrite
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:21 - 08 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I clicked the listing... that has to be the ugliest example of a scooter I've ever seen.

Sorry Shifty

That aside, "2 smoke" and "used to work and then it stopped working" Shocked

No, find a 4-stroke for your first bike. Much easier.

I know they’re ugly but they’re incredibly fast Mr. Green I know you have to use 2-stroke oil and that 4-stroke is generally more reliable but is it really that big of a deal?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 226 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2