Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suzuki SV650 - the "I iz n00b" review

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:35 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Suzuki SV650 - the "I iz n00b" review Reply with quote

As mentioned in another thread my Rebel got rear-ended. I weighed up sorting the repair and claim my self (Ste's suggestion) but I thought "fuck it, YOLO" and got a replacement while mine's away for repair. I'm sure I'll regret my decision later down the line but that's the future and this is now Smile

So this is what I'll have to slum it with for the next month or so:

https://i.imgur.com/eer3ebj.jpg?1

Yes, the aforementioned SV less than a year old with 3k on the clock. "This'll be a bit different!"

Accept it isn't. It's so very similar to the MT-07 from my Mod 1 & 2 you could call it nostalgia (if you can apply that term to events only a few months ago.) Let's start with the looks...

Overall I'd say I quite like it. Pretty much standard fair for naked street bikes these days. Paint scheme is quite jazzy in bright sunlight. Typical "I need fender delete" back end, modern frame, the front though? I'm not sure a traditional headlamp really fits. The MT-07 (which I will continually refer to 'cos I iz n00b) does have more of a "Transformers killer robot" vibe going on but at least there's a consistent look across the bike. Okay, so the SV is more curvy than angular but the lamp does look out of place. Maybe an LED one might be the ticket Thinking Looking at the back again maybe they should repeat the theme:

Front:

https://i.imgur.com/BB6ANWw.jpg?1

Back:

https://i.imgur.com/8uP8aen.jpg?1

Controls are all pretty standard and at least the ignition and info screen are the right way round Smile Talking of the screen it's the typical information overload I've seen on modern bikes; I'm starting to appreciate the minimalism of the Rebel with it's "Speed and fuel... you need no more!" The factory mirrors are great (versus the MT-07 which are all but useless IMHO.)

Jumping on the bike I was pleasantly surprised, being a short-arse, that I could get both feet down. Admittedly flat foot on one side, tippy-toe on the other. I can actually walk the bike if necessary but it's not as easy-going as the Rebel so I mainly move it about by hand. Seat is pretty comfortable. I shall have see how comfortable if I get the chance to take it for a decent spin tomorrow.

What else? Hmm, foot pegs are in a fairly neutral position. Took me a moment to adjust after the Rebel (they're a bit further forward and the seating position is all different) but so close to the MT-07 the muscle memory was still there. Overall the ergonomics seem comfortable but unsurprising.

Time to start her up. And another "begging for a mod" will be the exhaust. Totally uninspiring but I think that goes for all bikes these days Sad And off we go!

Certainly there's a lot more power than the Rebel from the start but not so much torque at the low end that you can get away with just using the clutch (bless you, Yamaha, you made my Mod 1 so much easier!) but after that it's actually the same as the Honda: smooth, smooth and more smooth. Feathering the clutch is smooth and predictable, the throttle is fine. I would say that 3000 miles has softened it up a bit but relative to the MT-07 (are you sick of the repeating comparisons yet? Soz, I iz n00b!) it's actually quite light.

Gear shift is light. Shame, I like some definite haptic feedback. Certainly I couldn't tell if I was moving through neutral from 2nd to 1st and loads of times I'd shifted up, wasn't sure I had, and checked myself by the succeeding engine revs. To be fair I think I need some new boots before winter.

Rear brake is perfectly fine. The front dual-rotors aren't quite as dramatic as one might expect and not at all grabby or bitey at low speeds which makes me wonder how effective they'll be if needed in anger. So far, in close to emergency stop speeds (I pull up to lights dramatically from time to time just to check the brakes will be there when I need them!) they have been... adequate. About the same feel as the Rebel (but that's a lighter bike with a single rotor.)

Talking of the rear brake I'd almost forgot how easy slow manoeuvres are on "bigger bike" (the Rebel is only an A2) I think there are some spinny bits that help stabilise the bike Wink

Yes, let's take a moment to talk about the engine. V-twin? Nope, more like L-twin Smile Parallel twin seems to be the vogue this season (feck! even the faux-cruiser Vulcan neglects a V and goes parallel) so if you like your engines a little different but don't want to join the arseless-chaps brigade the SV-650 is for you!

Obviously I don't have the experience to really express any pros and cons of such a cylinder configuration with regards to performance but one thing I did notice is that the bike seems super stable at sub-walking pace. Certainly if you were to challenge me to slow motorcycle race this would be my weapon of choice Smile

Moving up a gear (haha! did you see what I did there) I can only get it up to 60 on my commutes but it performs as expected: if I was cruising with a touch of throttle in 6th on the Rebel the SV does the same in 5th. Acceleration gets to the speed you want a touch faster and handling/suspension, I can't quite put my finger on it, it's okay but...

It's like this: riding the MT-07 always felt like wielding a surgical knife - quick, precise but with danger of injury if not treated with respect. The SV doesn't feel quite as lively but then neither does it feel quite as dangerous. Depends what you want out of a bike. Don't get me wrong though: there's barely anything between them.

As mentioned, I will hopefully take the bike out on a proper run tomorrow. Ryka's or Ace Cafe perhaps. If anything surprising presents itself like a jump in the power band I'll let you know Smile

And in conclusion. If you're in the market for a naked street bike then the Suzuki offers curves over angles and an interesting V (or L!) twin engine. Certainly comparable to the MT-07 (and probably the Z650 but I've yet to ride that.)

Personally it just feels like I'm riding around on "a nice bike" which is about the most damning thing I can say. And the kewl-factor from the L-twin will only excite bike nerds whilst it's stationary.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:13 - 08 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sv actually has clutch assist to prevent stalling when you pull away, it's not you improving yet! As for the dash, why is it information overload? Revs, speed, clock, fuel and gear indicator. Don't go drive a fully loaded Volvo, it'll blow your mind!

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:46 - 08 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

SV650’s are shit.

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 08:57 - 08 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
SV650’s are shit.

An equally valid review.

Enjoyed the brevity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:59 - 08 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
SV650’s are shit.

And the later ones LOOK even more shit. Damn.

Burn it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:54 - 08 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This a courtesy bike or you actually bought another one?

I like the look of the SV now, though it needs a tail tidy. Shame they don't do a Thou.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:33 - 08 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
This a courtesy bike

No, I wouldn't buy one Smile

Having said that I'd say it's a perfectly acceptable "beginners' bike" if you've just passed. Just not my style.

Kentol750 wrote:
The sv actually has clutch assist to prevent stalling when you pull away, it's not you improving yet! As for the dash, why is it information overload? Revs, speed, clock, fuel and gear indicator. Don't go drive a fully loaded Volvo, it'll blow your mind!

Yes, I forgot about this feature. Thanks for reminding me Thumbs Up

Whatever this clutch voodoo is it's subtle, can't say I noticed the effect. Maybe another tick in the beginners' bike box?

Regarding the info display, maybe I'm just old an my subconscious is hankering after analogue dials Smile But there's a lot crammed into a tiny display.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:09 - 08 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

3,000 miles and already rusty as f*ck. We looked at these for the other half when she passed her test, but they were all completely ruined by corrosion. She has an ER6n now, which is basically the same bike except built like a proper Kawasaki and not some Chinese 125.

Suzuki have never been great at this, but the SV seems to have gotten worse over the years, which is surprising.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:14 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went out on it today but unfortunately it was for a job so the best I could do is going the long way home. I might have been a bit mean about the gear shift: there's a definite "click" that you can hear when wafting slowly about town but once you're on the road it's as I said.

I had a couple of goes at (almost) 0 to 60... well yes, it does it, pretty quick I guess (certainly faster than my Rebel) but it doesn't make you grin. Maybe the Rebel feels more fun as you're closer to the ground?

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:23 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
3,000 miles and already rusty as f*ck.

The reason I will never buy another Suzuki, they do seem to succumb to rust quickly. Although my father in laws Ducati Scrambler is looking pretty bad for having only done 5,000 dry miles and being kept in a garage Sad

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:31 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:
MarJay wrote:
3,000 miles and already rusty as f*ck.

The reason I will never buy another Suzuki, they do seem to succumb to rust quickly. Although my father in laws Ducati Scrambler is looking pretty bad for having only done 5,000 dry miles and being kept in a garage Sad

The thing is, I keep hearing great things about 'premium' Suzukis finish these days, but if Kawasaki can make a good 'budget' bike, then so can Suzuki.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:53 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a scale of 1 to Chinese, how bad are the Suzukis for rust?

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:39 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
On a scale of 1 to Chinese, how bad are the Suzukis for rust?

Some are ok, others look like fishing boats by the time they need an MOT. Generally the worst of the big 4 for finish although how the individual bike is used and abused makes a big difference. Unless it's a GS500, which unless you keep it in the house and never ride it will look like something off the deck of the Titanic by the time it's 5 years old.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did have one of the pointy ones for a couple of years, it was hard to fault but managed to get spots of rust on most shiny bits despite doing very little in winter.
I'm not sure all Suzukis suffer this I had a Bandit 1200 for several years stayed near pristine and did far more miles.

They can sound gorgeous with the exhaust changed, I found the seat and riding position uncomfortable on longer runs.
In short kind of boring but a good way to get more experience and very suitable for commuting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:05 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised to see someone had managed a 1:38 lap of cadwell on one - but iirc not in standard trim.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:12 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
I was surprised to see someone had managed a 1:38 lap of cadwell on one - but iirc not in standard trim.

I believe G came third in a MiniTwin race with the bike running on a single cylinder...

They can be quick when set up properly. Good blank canvas, but the standard front suspension and brakes are a bit wimpy for the road on all models.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:13 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:

In short kind of boring but a good way to get more experience and very suitable for commuting.

Pretty much how I would sum them up, except, as a commuter, I'd be concerned about the damn thing cutting out in wet weather after my one, although tbf, it was exceptionally bad conditions on a motorway this happened to mine. A good beginner's bike, wouldn't have another.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:15 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

I believe G came third in a MiniTwin race with the bike running on a single cylinder...

Quite an achievement; mine only did about 45mph on one cylinder.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:32 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured out this clutch boost thingy on my way into work today...

Stationary, at idle, releasing the clutch beyond the biting point blips you ~300 rpm. A feature I could do without.

slowside
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:41 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say these are slipping off my what-big-bike shortlist after reading this (and other accounts).

I still want to test ride one, but my bike serves as commuter vehicle as well as weekend fun and several people have now told me how badly these go off once exposed to the winter.

What gets me is my little YBR, which gets used in all weathers is in great condition. Fork lowers and the chromed bits have a surface patina of rust, but frame, swing arm, engine casings etc are all in excellent condition.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:49 - 09 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowside wrote:

What gets me is my little YBR, which gets used in all weathers is in great condition. Fork lowers and the chromed bits have a surface patina of rust, but frame, swing arm, engine casings etc are all in excellent condition.

Frame, swingarm and engine casings are mostly ok. It's the fork bottoms, the exhaust, the underslung rear brake caliper and the starter motor cover that seems to go on these.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:36 - 10 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowside wrote:
I must say these are slipping off my what-big-bike shortlist after reading this (and other accounts).

I'll try and add something positive...

As I've gotten more used to this bike I've returned to my part time hobby of cutting up BMWs at traffic lights Twisted Evil

rrrrr....rrrrr....rrrrr...
[lights change]
bbrrraaaAAAP....bbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrAAAAAAAPPPPP....[etc.]

"FFS! All this time... I've been shifting up to early!" Laughing

Actually not too bad a tone from the exhaust if you really go for it. I could imagine the L-Twin coaxed into quite a pleasing sound, with the right exhaust system and/or back box.

Must have a look at where the cats are placed Thinking

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:46 - 10 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol Noob thinks an SV650 is fast 🤣

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:38 - 10 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my training and mod1 and mod2 on an SV650 (a 2017 one, so same shape as the OPs). I thought it was a good bike, simple, sounded quite good for a stock bike, narrow for town use and yet for a naked fairly comfy at 70mph.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:52 - 10 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
Lol Noob thinks an SV650 is fast 🤣

Where did I say that?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 229 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4