Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suzuki SV650 - the "I iz n00b" review

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:26 - 10 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
GT200Fan79 wrote:
Lol Noob thinks an SV650 is fast 🤣

Where did I say that?

I'm sure somewhere up there ^ (page get: <back there) you said, "By God, this thing is blisteringly fast, how can they allow these things on the road!" Laughing

I thought they were kind of fun if you got them on some tight twisties, but anywhere else they seriously lack oomph, and this is their main downfall. It's like they kind of hint at what they could have been. But that's ok; the Street Triple gives you the real thing Very Happy
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:31 - 10 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so fast that it almost managed to get to 60mph!!! Shocked

Easy-X wrote:
I had a couple of goes at (almost) 0 to 60... well yes, it does it, pretty quick I guess (certainly faster than my Rebel) but it doesn't make you grin. Maybe the Rebel feels more fun as you're closer to the ground?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:35 - 10 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Maybe the Rebel feels more fun as you're closer to the ground?

Perhaps you should have tried crashing it? Laughing

Mind you, I did manage to get nicked for speeding in Wales in a 60 limit on mine Rolling Eyes (Obvs not in the rain Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes )
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:29 - 10 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Almost" as in not always a stationary start...

Once I got the hang of the MT-07 it was always a case of "National Speed Limit? Get in!" and zoom... off I went, leaving the instructor and other student rider for dust. Definitely a lot of fun Smile

The SV doesn't have a machine soul that screams "come on, COME ON, GO FUCKING GO!!!" and be a complete hooligan but I'm sure someone more capable than me (i.e. anyone) could race it like a pro.

I am starting to warm to the engine sound at higher revs though.

<addendum> ah yes, I can see where the cat is now. Hmm... the exhaust downpipes look to be unequal lengths Thinking

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 20:46 - 10 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

SV650s are shit, for so many reasons.

I am not a fast rider. I buy slow, lazy bikes. The SV650 is not fast, but it's also extremely dull to ride lazily. Nothing in the bottom end. The engine only seems to wake up just before the redline.

It has all of the ingredients to handle well, for a given definition of well. Middleweight, good frame, well proportioned. The suspension is such utter shit that despite the good stuff, it's still shit overall.

Every redesign over the last 20 years has made it look progressively worse.

A CB500 feels faster.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 10 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
one, although tbf, it was exceptionally bad conditions on a motorway this happened to mine. A good beginner's bike, wouldn't have another.

I think they re-designed the plug cap to stop water getting so easily past and filling the front cylinder.
Fitting a fender extender at the front (which is what I did) also stopped as much water getting in (as well as making sure the drain hole on the front cyl was unblocked).

But yeah, not ideal design.

I liked mine (Mk1 SV650S) a lot (was second "big bike").

+ Low + narrow + folding mirrors made it great at filtering.
+ 55mpg.
+ It had decent initial punch at road speed. So overtakes in traffic was simple, didn't have to wind it up like an IL4.
+ Parts were cheap and easy to get hold of.
+ Loved the sound at full chat and off throttle into corners.
+ 120mph bike is fair enough for many. Plus you can use all of what it has.

- Fork springs too feeble and underdamped
- Rear shock undersprung for anyone over 11 stone.
- Tokico breaks aren't great and are prone to sticking / getting bunged up with road shite. Fitted braded lines + new pads and cleaned brakes every 4-6 months.
- Cooling to rear cyl is an issue. Oil cooler fitted to Mk2 onwards.
- Reg Rec known to fail. Fit a MOSFET unit.
- Mk1 had CCT failure. Replace every 20k or fit manual.
- Engine runs out of puff at 10k.
- Standard can is horrible.

Bang for buck, it was mega. Would buy another if it was cheap enough. Most of the issues were sorted from the Mk2 onwards and the handling can be improved.

But yeah, there are better bikes out there, but would rather have an SV than many others.

Last edited by Pigeon on 21:54 - 11 Sep 2019; edited 2 times in total

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:58 - 10 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a matter of perspective, perhaps largely dependent on what you've owned before. I owned plenty of bikes for years before the SV that I would rather go back to. I'd even prefer a nice condition Z650 (IL4) as an only bike.

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:23 - 10 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:

Bang for buck, it was mega..

This is the crux of it for me.

I pretty much apply this mantra to all bikes.

It is why a 20k superbike has literally zero appeal, as far as I'm concerned....

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:03 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would current comparable bikes be the Z650, CB650F and the MT-07?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:46 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I'd even prefer a nice condition Z650 (IL4) as an only bike.

https://media2.giphy.com/media/BsQAVgY6ksvIY/giphy.gif?cid=790b76110f2b4c423c625f1c09f3ecc0038a17dcb97ddc6a&rid=giphy.gif

Z650 is a 650cc parallel twin. It's a re-name of the ER6 basically.

Z800...?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:48 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairly sure a mate had an IL4 Z650 from the late 70's.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:56 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Fairly sure a mate had an IL4 Z650 from the late 70's.

Ah the OLD Z650...

https://media1.giphy.com/media/fvxOwPHuCv6FMMb2BA/giphy.gif?cid=790b76110e2df400c229c41c901a17e20a37094eab5b9b4d&rid=giphy.gif

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:15 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the OLD Z650:

https://i.postimg.cc/cLfTzzm6/z650c1.jpg

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:25 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason I'm hearing this caption:

"Hi, I'm an inline 4-cylinder engine and I use this teeny-weeny little motorcycle to transport myself about."

Much the same as I regard my cat as a "tail conveyancing system" Smile

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:28 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful mate, you have a Honda Rebel Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:03 - 11 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Careful mate, you have a Honda Rebel Laughing

Had... it's gone on holiday Crying or Very sad

Could be worse, could be a boxer engine Dance!

[runs swiftly to the underground shelter]

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:02 - 14 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
I'd even prefer a nice condition Z650 (IL4) as an only bike.

https://media2.giphy.com/media/BsQAVgY6ksvIY/giphy.gif?cid=790b76110f2b4c423c625f1c09f3ecc0038a17dcb97ddc6a&rid=giphy.gif

Z650 is a 650cc parallel twin. It's a re-name of the ER6 basically.

Z800...?

whoah parks and rec gif alert

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

rhys99
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:07 - 15 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't really get all the hate about SV's, yeah they might not be the fastest bikes but imo they're pretty much better than the ER6N and Bandits in everyway.
Suspension isn't great but it costs £5k ~ so what do you expect?
As for the rust side of things, they're no worse than ER6's and other bikes in the cheaper price points.
21:16:02 Fin: I got a girl to believe I have a huge dick today, she's going to be so disappointed
K̶5̶ ̶S̶V̶6̶5̶0̶S̶ K3 SV650N

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:19 - 15 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Got it over 70 on the A3 today. Fastest I've ever been on a bike Shocked
While the old hands here will be laughing their socks off I'd like to note that it continues to be a smooth and unsurprising bike.

I shall echo what others have said: ideal beginners bike but one you will get bored of pretty quickly - you could stretch out the experience somewhat with a decent exhaust but that's about it.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 15 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get the hate, it handles far better than a budget bike did 25 years ago. Compared to a z650 or older er6, it's more roomy for tall riders and the bars complement wider shoulders. It's better than a Gladys in looks (imho) and is bloody cheap to run. As to the mt07, an owner who's abused one like mrs k did with her er6 said it trusts like everything else.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:40 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
I don't get the hate, it handles far better than a budget bike did 25 years ago. Compared to a z650 or older er6, it's more roomy for tall riders and the bars complement wider shoulders. It's better than a Gladys in looks (imho) and is bloody cheap to run. As to the mt07, an owner who's abused one like mrs k did with her er6 said it trusts like everything else.

Because it's much like a GS500. Boring, soulless, there's nothing to entertain you... which is fine if you're purely commuting. At least on most other bikes there's something to keep your interest. The SV is just... Bland. Even when Hyosung used what is essentially the same motor in a GS500 frame, they managed to make more likeable bikes.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:56 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

I shall echo what others have said: ideal beginners bike but one you will get bored of pretty quickly - you could stretch out the experience somewhat with a decent exhaust but that's about it.

They are a bike that doesn't invite fun like many do.
But with some gentle tweaks, you can still make lots of fun on them if you try - I improved most the year I raced them and had some great battles, both other SV650s and in some cases with litre bikes and 600 sports bikes in mixed races and trackdays.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:20 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
But with some gentle tweaks, you can still make lots of fun on them if you try - I improved most the year I raced them and had some great battles, both other SV650s and in some cases with litre bikes and 600 sports bikes in mixed races and trackdays.

I've been experimenting with how much I can give it on takeoff and I can get a very pleasing note from the stock exhaust in first gear so that's something Smile

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:42 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

I've been experimenting with how much I can give it on takeoff and I can get a very pleasing note from the stock exhaust in first gear so that's something Smile

Doh!
If you want a louder monotone twin fart (yes the noise is also boring) plenty like a louder can.
0-60 in not much more than 3 seconds if you get used to it.
In first gear it'll be as fast as pretty much everything apart from stripped down Teslas and Hypercars etc.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:12 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

People manage to have fun on battered C90s in a field, so I'm not sure of your point G. I took it that Easy-X was interested in what it was like to own one as an everyday bike on the road.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 224 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4