Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suzuki SV650 - the "I iz n00b" review

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:22 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you prefer it to the Honda Rebel?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:34 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Do you prefer it to the Honda Rebel?

Aimed at me?
Yes. I'm not an SV hater.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:42 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was aimed mostly at Easy-X and slightly at G.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:46 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

People manage to have fun on battered C90s in a field, so I'm not sure of your point G. I took it that Easy-X was interested in what it was like to own one as an everyday bike on the road.

Yes, well that's kinda my point - to have fun on a C90Honda too, you have to engineer a situation where you'll enjoy it more.

While riding something like an R6 or say an Aprilia RS250 on the road I find the bike encourages you to use a few more revs, get on the power earlier, turn quicker and so on. It gives the impression that it rewards you for doing so, while something like an SV650 more gives the impression of 'meh, might as well change up early, it won't feel much different'.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:03 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

While riding something like an R6 or say an Aprilia RS250 on the road I find the bike encourages you to use a few more revs, get on the power earlier, turn quicker and so on. It gives the impression that it rewards you for doing so, while something like an SV650 more gives the impression of 'meh, might as well change up early, it won't feel much different'.

Otoh, there were times during my ownership of an RG500 where I'd have given anything for something a bit calmer Laughing Not the best of single-ownership bikes if motorways and shopping trips were also on the agenda! Context again.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:13 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
It was aimed mostly at Easy-X and slightly at G.

Definitely can't wait till the Rebel comes back!

While I'm used to the handling of such bikes as the SV it's just... mildly annoying. Mainly moving it about with the engine off. Rebel I can flat foot and reverse about while sat on the bike. Not a deal breaker but nice if you're intending to keep a bike for the long haul.

As far as handling and performance I have zero need for anything that does >70mph and my priority is something that does 0 to 30mph really quick... which is almost anything!

If.... IF... I was sensible I would have stuck with a 125 for "good gas miles" or even gone for a scooter Shocked

But we're not sensible human beings are we Smile No, I want something that accelerates better than a 125 and that looks and/or feels kewl to ride. The SV is as generic as it gets whereas the Rebel is almost totally unique (are there any other true A2 cruisers? A restricted Vulcan doesn't count!)

They have some things in common though: they're both smooth, easy to ride machines but while I believe the Rebel would be slower (in the 0 to 30 zone) it just seems a bit more fun. Not as much fun tearing away from the lights as the MT-07 but not far off. And given the Rebel hadn't even had its first service it should get better and better, as the engine beds in a bit.

What would persuade me to buy an SV650 over the Rebel? If I was taller, poorer and needing to do more motorway miles.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has descended into a worrying portal into the mind of the autistic Male.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:24 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
This thread has descended into a worrying portal into the mind of the autistic Male.

As Russell Brand would say: "We're all on the spectrum!" Smile

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:11 - 17 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

If you want a louder monotone twin fart (yes the noise is also boring) plenty like a louder can.

Hated mine on standard, sounded like a hairdryer.

Switching to a Delkevic mid sized can made it sound great (Delkevic stubby was far too loud and just noise).
Like a rapid fire howitzer going up the revs, a Spitfire coming into land going down the revs. The roll off boom was infectious enough I'd sometimes accelerate and roll off for no other reason.

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

Boring, soulless, there's nothing to entertain you

I accept I'm clearly in the minority, but my bike had loads of soul. It got me out of trouble many times, performed miracle recoveries under my dodgy spannering (rusted solid exhaust studs which didn't snap after dremeling nuts off), survived 120 miles on 18v (got me to a funeral and back), was a joy to listen to and to exploit on the roads.
Sorted the suspension (front and back) + brakes for £300. Was good fun at Lydden Hill (largely because its so short).

But in terms of engine delivery and power, yes it was dull. A bit of instant shove that never grew into anything more and then ran out of puff too early.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:37 - 26 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! The Rebel is back Cool

Rode to work; forgotten how "small" this bike is Laughing Filtering's a tad easier.

Can't say I'm going to miss the SV.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:48 - 26 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
...I'm not sure all Suzukis suffer this I had a Bandit 1200 for several years stayed near pristine and did far more miles.

That^^.

I had a 1250 for 7 years and it was still in pretty good nick when I traded it in.

By contrast, my MT07 was oozing rust after 2 years.

Current Yams are shit.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:14 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

If you recall I got the SV650 'cos some plank hit the back of the Rebel and bent the number plate holder. Just got off the phone from the Credit Hire company that was handling the claim...

Admiral won't admit liability - photographic evidence is neither here nor there apparently - however "without prejudice" they have paid all the Credit Hire company's bills (~£1000 for the SV650.) So the upside: I got to ride around on a "new" bike for a bit. Downside: the number plate holder is still bent.

I can't see any point in claiming on my fully comp for trivial damage so I've ordered up the bent part: £24 (and that's from a main dealer.)

Question: should I get the part fitted and then write to Admiral directly? I can see them either going "fuck it, it's peanuts" or still sticking with the "no liability here" line. After that it's Small Claims Court time. Again, probably easier for them to pay than not...

However, I worry that they might decide to tag a counter claim on to recoup the bike hire charges - i.e. just being c*nts for me wasting their time.

£24 + 5 mins to fit, maybe I should just call it quits now Thinking

slowside
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:52 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

£24 + 5 mins to fit, maybe I should just call it quits now Thinking

Ask yourself how much you value your time. You could fight the good fight and hound them for the £24, but to be frank these days I personally can't be bothered.

By the time you've put together a scathing email to their claims dept and dealt with the two or three subsequent emails and calls, that £24 is starting to look pretty paltry if your free time is as scarce as mine is.

I very much doubt they would retrospectively pay up after you fit the part yourself, irrespective of how little the sum of money is. To do so they would be accepting liability for the claim and possibly leave themselves open to further liability should you discover other damage to the bike.

For perspective, I had a claim with Admiral many years ago when a kid rode his bike into the side of my car and dented the wing. It took them 9 months to resolve and I had to chase them every week. YMMV of course.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:04 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you're right. I have "gained" by riding the SV about for long enough to know I don't want one Smile Life is too short Very Happy

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:51 - 08 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should've tried cornering on it while you had it!

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 03 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Yeah, you're right. I have "gained" by riding the SV about for long enough to know I don't want one Smile Life is too short Very Happy

Buy an old one, spend the equivelant of half a new one on it and enjoy.

The frame is still so sex.

https://i.postimg.cc/28thZpHQ/49209671-10156997941063485-8180795152684548096-o.jpg

And pictured with my Gen 2.

https://i.postimg.cc/QMmMc1X2/49787310-10156997941853485-3590227578645905408-o.jpg

I also have another one which I recently sold.

https://i.postimg.cc/HszPDLkp/SV654165415.jpg

Bit of an SV fan. Embarassed

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 03 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

SV’s are basically Hitler but criticism coming from someone who spent they’re own money on a 500 rebel is a bit of a laugh.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 03 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forced wrote:
SV’s are basically Hitler but criticism coming from someone who spent they’re own money on a 500 rebel is a bit of a laugh.

Suzuki fans that hate Svs are worse than Hitler. Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:54 - 03 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always liked the look of the frame too.
But surely there's nothing more to be said about them by now?!

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:07 - 04 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

After 20yrs the only thing to really be said is it's amazing that Suzuki have been buildng this bike for that long without making a version with better suspension, brakes and a bit more pep out of the motor using the vast parts bin they have. They pretty much made the cunting thing a GSXR in terms of geometry and bearing sizes - seriously, the second gen shares all the sizes and fitments for a GSXR - so why not just give the masses an SV650R?. Considering the enormous mini/supertwin scene in racing it's even more of a mystery.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:00 - 04 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

After 20yrs the only thing to really be said is it's amazing that Suzuki have been buildng this bike for that long without making a version with better suspension, brakes and a bit more pep out of the motor using the vast parts bin they have. They pretty much made the cunting thing a GSXR in terms of geometry and bearing sizes - seriously, the second gen shares all the sizes and fitments for a GSXR - so why not just give the masses an SV650R?. Considering the enormous mini/supertwin scene in racing it's even more of a mystery.

Because Suzuki have less money than a poor field mouse whose husband has just left her for another mouse and just received an enormous tax bill.

Just look at Suzuki's 'new' bikes this year. All new colours! Woow, that's some R and D right there.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:55 - 04 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Because Suzuki have less money than a poor field mouse whose husband has just left her for another mouse and just received an enormous tax bill.

Just look at Suzuki's 'new' bikes this year. All new colours! Woow, that's some R and D right there.

Which makes lilred's point about producing an SVR an even better idea, as they wouldn't even have to start from scratch, and if the super twins series is really that popular, you've got a potentially ready-made sales group.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:27 - 04 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forced wrote:
SV’s are basically Hitler but criticism coming from someone who spent they’re their own money on a 500 rebel is a bit of a laugh.

Hitler may no longer be with us but the grammar nazis are still alive and well Smile

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 04 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Exactly, and a hot model SV650R would cost them about 5p to make. I would seriously go and buy one new. Some old GSXR forks and brakes, nice bodywork, trick rear shock, squeeze 15hp more out of the motor with cams and an actual performance injection system, some updated marchesini lookin' wheels and you'd have a little stormer on your hands.

Would make a great entry level class, like the 675R cup, except the bike wouldn't cost 12 grand.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 04 Dec 2019    Post subject: Yeah, but.... Reply with quote

A 'hot' sv would be in the gsxs750 bracket. As Suzuki seem reluctant to overlap bikes in the range, it's a doubt. Sv isn't a bad bike now, it's just ok. More comfortable than mt07 or z650 for taller riders. A gixxer engined adventure was what I was hoping to see next. Maybe 750cc, 110 bhp, about 195kg wet, a real tenere beater and a rival to tiger and ktm790adv.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 142 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4