Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Chain riveting tools

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Gazz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Chain riveting tools Reply with quote

Are these basically all the same? Been looking on ebay. Will the cheap Chinese ones be up to the job, or are they for pedal bikes?

Can't believe I've been riding bikes for over 10 years but never had to buy one of these before.

Missing the ease of maintenance you get from a shaft drive.

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:52 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the type of tool and the type of rivet link. Some rivet links have a softer tip with a hole in that you have to spread with a blunt punch-like tool, either with a screw action or a hammer. Other rivets have a solid tip that you have to bash with a peening tool and a hammer to spread them. Make sure you get the right riveting tool for the type of rivet link you have and that it fits the chain you have. There are some tool with attachments that will do both types of link. Personally I prefer the type you hit with a hammer that does both types of link. Similar to This

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:14 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whale brand have a good reputation for toughness.

I still have my old Heine Gericke one I bought years ago. Still on its original pin too. That only does hollow tipped pins. A whale can do either hollow tips or peen-overs depending which fittings you get with it.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:12 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of these

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51gOExhfgpL.jpg

Always felt like it was going to break but never did.

They are only 12 squiddlys on Amazon at the moment. Shocked

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:35 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap DID clone for the body of the tool, with a genuine DID press pin.

The hardening on the Chinese ones is hit and miss. The body doesn't really need to be bombproof, but the pin does.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:38 - 06 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Whale or go home.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:21 - 07 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 years ago I bought a decent one for about £50.

It worked well.

Then I mislaid it following a house move so I bought a £6 one off Ebay.

It worked just as well.

YMMV. Wink

ride_to_die
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:53 - 12 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the same one as Polarbear, has worked fine the four occasions I've used it.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 12 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chain and sprocket kit I bought recently came with a free joining tool by Afam. It worked well enough but I’m not sure I’d use it again - the thing is bent after just the one use (exactly as per instructions too).
Despite me being reasonably competent with a spanner I hate doing the joining link. I can’t see how a bike mechanic would do it any different / better but I get worried as it’s not ideal if it goes to rat shit.
Still, it’s done a few hundred miles now at ‘quiet motorway’ speed and it’s been fine - touch wood!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 12 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key with the cheaper pins is to add pressure, back it off a little, add pressure, back it off a little and so on. Never bent a pin that way.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:15 - 12 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've broken a pin in one of those red sets but meh, I should have done the job properly from the start and just cut the chain with the angle grinder.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 12 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I've broken a pin in one of those red sets but meh, I should have done the job properly from the start and just cut the chain with the angle grinder.

When I removed the last chain (fitted by me 5 years and 20k miles ago) from the zzr I tried removing the link properly, then getting more and more brutal to see how hard it’d be to get the plate off. It didn’t happen. I ended up surrounded by broken tools and blood splattered knuckles. It gave me confidence to the strength of my previous spannering to be honest - and yes, in the end I reverted to an angle grinder!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:36 - 12 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angle grind off and center punch back on....... I thought everyone did that.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 226 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1