Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

SV650 exhaust scratched–parking etiquette in central London

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Brexit
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:45 - 12 Sep 2019    Post subject: SV650 exhaust scratched–parking etiquette in central London Reply with quote

Hello again people. Can I please ask if you know how best to remove these scratches from the heat cover? Parked up near work yesterday and later some people decided to lean their bike against mine. Without anyone else’s help available after work, I tried my best to wheel my bike free but ended up with these scratches. Ahhh!!!
I think those scratches are probably too deep to remove now so what’s the next step without buying a brand spanking new can, ACF50 Anti-Corrosion spray?
Many thanks!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:55 - 12 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACF50 will do jack sh*t.

It is rude of the other guy, but I don't think you'll be able to easily remove the scratches.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:58 - 12 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

London bike bays.....
0 shits given by anyone.

if you think the scratches were as a result of moving the bike forward.
then you could have just bumped the rear to the left of the other bike to create space.

Brexit
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:20 - 12 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinK98 wrote:

then you could have just bumped the rear to the left of the other bike to create space.

Aha! Yes, you're right actually. I will do the next time. New rider learning sth new everyday.... Laughing

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:28 - 12 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other rider was a proper twat - GS (with a flower in the fairing VW beetle style Confused ) though so to be expected.

In future ask a passer by to hold the offending article upright while removing yours safely.

Scratches on the shield aren't coming out. If your a commuter though I guess this will be the first of several.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:35 - 12 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a tricky manoeuvre too that could have had both bikes over. Reverse in side-stand down, get off bike on the 'wrong' side, then lean bike over with fingers crossed - beggars belief.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:41 - 12 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

F*ck me! What a c*nt!!!! Shocked

I probably would have pulled my shoulder out trying to lift the front of the bike off the deck to swing it round a bit.

But I see you left yourself an inch before the curb so yes, a bit of back and forth action... (wayhay!!!)

At least you didn't have a bike on the other side Smile

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:57 - 12 Sep 2019    Post subject: re Reply with quote

when i used to park in bays I found myself every now and again lifting/bumping bikes off mine, just the way it is unfortunately

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 12 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sort of parking has started happening at my local train station as well, as I experienced last night while trying to get my bike out. Frustrating, as there's also another bike bay which people seem to hardly ever use

Also made more difficult as you can't push the bike backwards to manouver, and it was some huge adventure bike that was as tall as I am!

I was considerring leaving my disk lock on it, as an award for parking like a c**t

Brexit
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:39 - 12 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
In future ask a passer by to hold the offending article upright while removing yours safely.

Thanks, absolutely right. That's what I should have done yesterday.

Brexit
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:44 - 12 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to leave a note with my number. Nothing aggressive though.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:28 - 12 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:
Frustrating, as there's also another bike bay which people seem to hardly ever use

Park in that one then.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:54 - 12 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brexit wrote:

That's it. wait and see how hard he/she looks before slinging the c*nts at them..

Wait though, flower, piss-poor parking - it could well be a bird! You're in!! Razz

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 12 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a quote in writing from a decent bodywork garage, and remove scratches with the small claims court. You've got the photos and you've got his registration number.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/v888-request-by-an-individual-for-information-about-a-vehicle

First send him a letter by registered/recorded/special/signed-for, making it clear you hope to avoid court action because that would incur fees and would involve having to inform third parties (e.g. insurance companies) but that you require the money within 7 days.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:39 - 12 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably was them - but in some cases it could be someone else moved their bike to fit their own bike in.
Quote:

ACF50 will do jack sh*t.

It might stop it corroding - which I got the impression was the OP's intention with it, rather than fixing the scratch?
Though don't know how well it will on an exhaust, if that was your point.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:43 - 12 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Get a quote in writing from a decent bodywork garage, and remove scratches with the small claims court. You've got the photos and you've got his registration number.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/v888-request-by-an-individual-for-information-about-a-vehicle

First send him a letter by registered/recorded/special/signed-for, making it clear you hope to avoid court action because that would incur fees and would involve having to inform third parties (e.g. insurance companies) but that you require the money within 7 days.

Immediate fail - he scratched his own bike while moving it. The other rider parked like an absolute bell, but didn't effect any damage. You can't claim against someone else for your actions.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 13:46 - 12 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Park in that one then.

Didn't you remove a thread a while ago concerning a speed triple where the advice was to do just that but the OP got very pissy?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 12 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
Immediate fail - he scratched his own bike while moving it. The other rider parked like an absolute bell, but didn't effect any damage. You can't claim against someone else for your actions.

I don't agree that this belief, whether correct or incorrect, is a good reason to save on the £2.50 or whatever it costs to send a recorded letter to the GS guy to make good for the damage that wouldn't have resulted if he hadn't parked in this way, threatening court action.

Also, the scratches were probably caused by an initial incision to the paint/clearcoat finish on the body panel. If I lean a supermarket trolley against your car and you then drive away, sliding against it as you go, and it doesn't leave scratches, this is because the smooth metal finish of the trolley and the very light pressure resulting from it being on wheels hasn't been sufficient to penetrate the clearcoat finish on your car. On the other hand, if I lean against your car with a screwdriver, providing enough force to break the clearcoat if you choose to drive away (no matter how you try, you can't avoid the paint being moved by my screwdriver tip), then, as my actions were reasonably foreseeable to have been likely to lead to this damage, and as you are not a paintwork expert able to predict that driving away would result in scratches, then I am probably responsible because it was reasonably foreseeable that someone would drive away and scratches would result. If this wasn't the case, then I can leave a block of wood with nails under your car wheels before you set off in the morning, and when you drive away and your tyres burst, then it's your fault for driving away and you have no recourse in damages against me.

The GS guy has insurance, I suppose. I'm not sure if there's a clause in his policy saying he has to declare to to them if he has civil court action pending. But £200 sent the OP's way could make everything go away...

Brexit
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:53 - 12 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Brexit wrote:

That's it. wait and see how hard he/she looks before slinging the c*nts at them..

Wait though, flower, piss-poor parking - it could well be a bird! You're in!! Razz

hahahahaha Mr. Green

Brexit
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:55 - 12 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
It probably was them - but in some cases it could be someone else moved their bike to fit their own bike in.
Quote:

ACF50 will do jack sh*t.

It might stop it corroding - which I got the impression was the OP's intention with it, rather than fixing the scratch?

Yes!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:46 - 12 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

Didn't you remove a thread a while ago concerning a speed triple where the advice was to do just that but the OP got very pissy?

He got himself all worked up because it basically said when and where his bike would be parked unattended and what security it had on.

Brexit
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 07:47 - 13 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

so far, they haven't made contact.... Rolling Eyes

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:10 - 13 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brexit wrote:

Why would they? You caused the damage by moving the bike once theirs was parked.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:15 - 13 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Brexit wrote:

Why would they? You caused the damage by moving the bike once theirs was parked.

Perhaps the OP should just have pushed the stupid parker's bike over and driven off.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:34 - 13 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Perhaps the OP should just have pushed the stupid parker's bike over and driven off.

Or got someone to lift stupid parker's bike up while he extricated his SV?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 225 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2