Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike accident whilst at work

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ice Burger
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:30 - 12 Sep 2019    Post subject: Bike accident whilst at work Reply with quote

Recently I had a high side crash on a Domino's scooter whilst I was at work. Dirt/sand in the road caused the back wheel to come out and I high sided afterwards which has caused a lot of complications with my leg recently. This happened on the 4th of Sep, I've been to 3 X-rays since and I've got to wait till the 20th for an appointment to see my fractured ankle. I'm getting fed up of having to hobble around to different appointments and exams even though I've been told to rest my leg.

Am I entitled to some sort of compensation? It could soon reach a month that I won't have worked and I'll be behind in quite a lot of expenses. I'm not sure who is liable to pay, is it council for their shoddy roads, or shall I be asking Domino's?

Any advice from anyone who's had similar experience would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Henry.

(PS, nobody else involved in the incident.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 12 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd imagine Dominos have some sort of waiver they get their ped bois to sign, dissolving them of any liability... Otherwise all their delivery riders would be crashing for compo. I may be wrong though...

Ice Burger
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:38 - 12 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:
I'd imagine Dominos have some sort of waiver they get their ped bois to sign, dissolving them of any liability... Otherwise all their delivery riders would be crashing for compo. I may be wrong though...

I bet you're right, I'll look through my papers tonight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 12 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: Bike accident whilst at work Reply with quote

Ice Burger wrote:
Am I entitled to some sort of compensation?

Oooh, nasty. If your personal insurance covers you for injuries, or you have some sort of bolt-on to a savings plan, bank account or mortgage protection, I think that unfortunately you are stuffed.

Delivery firms from what I've read offer TPO business use to their own-vehicle drivers.

T.C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:24 - 13 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to ask yourself what was it that made you highside?

Was it down to you doing something wrong?

Was it because another road user did something wrong causing your loss of control?

Was the highside caused by a vehicle defect?

If the crash was down to something you did wrong, then you just have to take it on the chin and put it down to experience.

If it was caused by another road user, then if you have details of the third party, then you may have a claim against the person that caused you ro crash. Even if you do not know the details of the third party, if you have a registration number, you may have a claim against the MiB under the untraced or uninsured scheme. (The MiB is a scheme we all pay into and there does not have to be a collision between vehickes for a claim to be made)

If the crash was down to a mechanical fault on the bike, then you may have a claim against your employer.

However having investigated a number of these cases, you need to prove that the bile was not maintained properly and was the cause of your loss of control.

Sometimes this is very simple to prove just from examining the bike, other times a more detailed examiniation is required.

If there is a problem with the bike then you have a claim against your employer as they have a statutory duty of care to provide appropriate safety equipment and ensure that the vehicles are maintained to a satisfactory and safe standard.

So, you may well have a claim, but it all depends on the evidence and who or what caused the crash.

If you can prove causation, then you have a claim and you can claim for injuries (which includes a payment for pain and suffereing) all out of pocket expenses, loss of earnings, in fact anything that has incurred a financial cost because of the crash.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:33 - 13 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you can't claim anything. You made a mistake you went too fast for the road conditions. Sand/dirt in the road is a possible hazard like rain or snow.

Accept your mistake and learn from it, don't try to blame others.

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 13 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the pizza OK?

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 13 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been waiting since the 4th of September for my pizza...

Can I claim anything?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:04 - 14 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most insurance payouts are dependent on proving someone's neglect. i.e. Something one of the parties involved should have known about and or covered their liabilities.
If it was a defect in the road you or someone had previously reported and you can prove this then you have some sort of evidence for a claim.
Sand, gravel, Diesel etc. is not an easy thing to claim for.
The Golden Rule is always (Get a tattoo of this):
Never exceed the speed that you can steer or stop safely.
It's a Hard Crust with No cheese or topping but thems the facts.

Why can you not ride? Is u in PoP/Strapping?

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:21 - 14 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

90% of the time when a rider claims they only come off due to diesel/dirt /sand it is total bs.

I've used the excuse as well. Twisted Evil

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:26 - 14 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam277 wrote:
90% of the time when a rider claims they only come off due to diesel/dirt /sand it is total bs.

I've used the excuse as well. Twisted Evil

'Total bs'.

I can't remember what term the broker used in their reply to my claim.

Embarassed

Confusion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:27 - 15 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: Bike accident whilst at work Reply with quote

Ice Burger wrote:

Am I entitled to some sort of compensation?...

You need to get a job in France.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49662134

Compo for shagging a stranger!

Quote:
(PS, nobody else involved in the incident.)

Someone else was involved in the French case Smile

Ice Burger
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:27 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I checked in.

It turns out I fractured my ankle a long time ago and I managed to 're-fracture' it if you will. I'm able to deliver pizza on the condition I don't run or jump from tall ledges.

Domino's has a sick pay policy which I managed to squeeze out £250 from, I would've hoped to make about £400 if I where working. It's miraculous how I got this payout. I was emailed by HR asking why I hadn't been and work for 4 weeks, unknown to me my boss had failed to inform HR about my accident and I was in the blue about any compensation until I got busy emailing HR.

To answer some questions,
In all fairness I could've taken the corner at a lesser speed, I was going quick, but the same speed I've gone round that corner hundreds of times though. No mechanical issues with the bike, the tyres are very hard and favour mileage over grip - not the fault of the bike and it's only reasonable to save money this way. And yes most importantly the pizza was fine, I was on a return journey.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:38 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ice Burger wrote:
It's been a while since I checked in.

It turns out I fractured my ankle a long time ago and I managed to 're-fracture' it if you will. I'm able to deliver pizza on the condition I don't run or jump from tall ledges.

Domino's has a sick pay policy which I managed to squeeze out £250 from, I would've hoped to make about £400 if I where working. It's miraculous how I got this payout. I was emailed by HR asking why I hadn't been and work for 4 weeks, unknown to me my boss had failed to inform HR about my accident and I was in the blue about any compensation until I got busy emailing HR.

To answer some questions,
In all fairness I could've taken the corner at a lesser speed, I was going quick, but the same speed I've gone round that corner hundreds of times though. No mechanical issues with the bike, the tyres are very hard and favour mileage over grip - not the fault of the bike and it's only reasonable to save money this way. And yes most importantly the pizza was fine, I was on a return journey.

You got 2 days sick pay?

Ice Burger
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:48 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get payed every 2 weeks at £8 an hour. The only time Domino's needs riders is from 5-10pm. So you don't make much!

This a part time job for me so it's not representative a living wage.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:12 - 10 Oct 2019    Post subject: Re: Bike accident whilst at work Reply with quote

Confusion wrote:
....You need to get a job in France.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49662134

Compo for shagging a stranger!...

"an extramarital relationship with a perfect stranger"

The lucky bastard, I've never someone who's perfect. I guess that does explain why he had the heart attack though.

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 20:50 - 10 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day (god I'm beginning to age) - I crashed Domino's bikes three times and a Basilico bike once.

They won't do shit. Even if it wasn't your fault, they'll make sure it was your fault. Don't expect anything. Delivery riders crash all the time.

Get a different job.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:28 - 10 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

All 4 of my offs have been my fault, there have been other things in the mix but all fundamentally my fault

Turned sharply on gravel, front wheel slipped, stitches in knee.
Round about rear went on oil low side, hole in brand new jeans.
Going round bend on Cat and Fiddle doing 90mph, slipped on some clods of mud in road, looked at wall, hit wall. Broken leg in three place, broke shoulder blade and socket to shoulder.
Fell over when bike stalled at 1mph because not strong enough after illness, hurt ribs.

I could blame someone but really my fault.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 199 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1