Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Rant about laws on young riders

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

willj002
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:28 - 12 Sep 2019    Post subject: Rant about laws on young riders Reply with quote

Ok, I'll start off by saying that I am a young, inexperienced (bit of a twat) rider. I completely welcome other peoples views.

I had a stupid fall this evening (speeds for the dry into a wet roundabout) and it has got me rather annoyed at the whole licencing system at the moment. I think the fact we have to stay on a small cc bike for two years is making me a worse rider. Because I can't get up to a high maximum speed I feel like I have to be a complete knob and maximise my speed everywhere else, meaning I'm taking corners too fast, trying to be 1mph faster in the bends, so I save the time that I'm dawdling on the straights.

In all honesty it is putting me off biking... maybe this was the government's plan all along Rolling Eyes

What are your thoughts?
Also, sub-question: How many times have you guys fallen off?

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:35 - 12 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that the difference between a Master and a Novice is that a Master has failed more times than a Novice has tried.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

slowside
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:39 - 12 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing about a Master, is that said mastery is predicated on not smearing themselves across the tarmac whilst riding like a bell-end before having reached it.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 12 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: Rant about laws on young riders Reply with quote

willj002 wrote:
I think the fact we have to stay on a small cc bike for two years is making me a worse rider. Because I can't get up to a high maximum speed

What are your thoughts?

You can in the worst case ride a 125 after 1 year and do 80 MPH which is higher than the UK limit on any road.

The restriction is safety-oriented.

I have not come off many times, and intend to keep it that way.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:09 - 13 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: Rant about laws on young riders Reply with quote

willj002 wrote:
I have to be a complete knob

Stop doing that. Laughing

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:17 - 13 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has to be a joke?
So he falls off his tiddler going too fast and thinks the answer is more speed?

The answer my friend is to learn how to take a bend properly. I guarantee there are people here on this site that can take your bike around the bend you came off, faster than you took it when your arse gave in.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 13 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Op is a sock and I claim my five ponds...

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:36 - 13 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:

Beat me to it. Sad

'There are a lot of young fast riders.

But there are no fast riders who are old.'

And

'A Bird in a taxi is worth two on a bus.'

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:21 - 13 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
GT200Fan79 wrote:

Beat me to it. Sad

'There are a lot of young fast riders.

But there are no fast riders who are old.'

And

'A Bird in a taxi is worth two on a bus.'

Not profound young glasshopper,

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 07:32 - 13 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: Rant about laws on young riders Reply with quote

willj002 wrote:
Ok, I'll start off by saying that I am a young, inexperienced (bit of a twat) rider. I completely welcome other peoples views.

I had a stupid fall this evening (speeds for the dry into a wet roundabout) and it has got me rather annoyed at the whole licencing system at the moment. I think the fact we have to stay on a small cc bike for two years is making me a worse rider. Because I can't get up to a high maximum speed I feel like I have to be a complete knob and maximise my speed everywhere else, meaning I'm taking corners too fast, trying to be 1mph faster in the bends, so I save the time that I'm dawdling on the straights.

In all honesty it is putting me off biking... maybe this was the government's plan all along Rolling Eyes

What are your thoughts?

If you had a bigger bike you'd just thrash that everywhere too, and likely get yourself into more trouble.

Don't worry, it's natural Millennial behaviour to blame everyone else but themselves for something that is clearly their own fault.

It's also worth considering that it *may* Be possible to rider quickly without crashing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:15 - 13 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fault is your own. Not the bike. I rode my 125 2 up through Camber near me and was with a 650/750 and some other 125s... I was well ahead of them.

I didn't crash, it was pitch black and damp, it's your fault. Laughing
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:02 - 13 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: Rant about laws on young riders Reply with quote

willj002 wrote:
How many times have you guys fallen off?

My 125? about 4 times... my 400/600? only once when a car turned across me... you may be on to something Laughing or maybe it was me just riding like a 17 year old cock.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:21 - 13 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: Rant about laws on young riders Reply with quote

willj002 wrote:

What are your thoughts?

So. Don't do that.

You would have been no better on a bigger bike, it would just have hurt more. I reckon I could throw most 125s round a roundabout quicker than a sportsbike.

One exception which is choice of rubber. I do know a friends CBR125 had the most rediculously crap tyres on when it was new. So make sure you have decent rubber and that the tyre pressures are correct.

I garauntee having a bigger bike will not stop you lowsiding on roundabouts. It will just make it more expensive and painful.

Your post actually justifies the staged access. You are learning the lessons you need to learn on a 125. You've started the learning process. A 125 teaches you to be smooth, to hold corner speed and to make mistakes while not going too fast on something too heavy.

Sounds like you could do with a bit more both experience AND training? The experience you are clearly getting in spadefuls just make sure it's useful experience. You need to critically review your ride and what you could do to improve it.

You've kind of done that, you crashed because you were impatient and going too fast for the road conditions. NOT because your bike is too slow.

Pretty sure you'll be more careful on wet roundabouts now... Experience increasing.

And yes. I fell off a lot when I was learning. Almost always due to being an arrogant 17 year old going too fast for the road conditions. Although at one point, a set of ludicrously poor quality, communist-era Czechslovakian tyres did not help matters. Even that was a factor under my control and I have learned from it. I ALWAYS put good tyres on, not somewhere to cheap-out.

Even if someone else does something monumentally stupid right in front of you, it's YOUR job to anticipate that and avoid it, lying in the road being in the right doesn't hurt any less. When critically reviewed there are very few bike crashes that the rider could have done nothing about.

Check your tyres are good. Keep practicing, learn from your errors in an objective, self-critical manner (you are the only one in control of what the bike does, it's one of the great joys of motorcycling.) .

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:47 - 13 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said, This is on you. Own it, learn from it and ride to the conditions. The more experienced you get, hopefully, the better you'll learn to read the road.

I've had one off in my time on road bikes, and that was a mud slick on the exit of a blind corner. Picked it up, rode off, as I saw it coming, and while I coudn't avoid it, I could minimise it. I've had metric fucktons of sky>ground>sky>ground moments on crossers, so as said, if you really can't reign it in on the road, take it to a track. I'm older now, and don't ride like a total fuckwit any more, but that's how I got it out of my system in my teens/twenties.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:56 - 13 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Followed a bike with L plates yesterday, he/she was following cars doing about 50 - leaving a space to bumper barely enough for 30mph zone, then started to overtake at a staggered junction with cars itching to creep out from both sides as visibility is limited.

While no normal person would in any way intervene is it reasonable to offer advice if you happened to stop near them later?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:02 - 13 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only had one off and that was 30 years ago and hit a patch of diesel going round a roundabout, luckily i slid along the road with bike until i hit the kerb picked myself and the bike up and carried on Laughing

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 13 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have to agree that the laws seem a bit biased against young riders, when there are no such restrictions on 17 year old car drivers (who have enough £££).

Why do I think this is bad? Because it's encouraging people to just stay on Loser plates and not doing the test. In my opinion the difference between CBT level (multiple re-do's included) and Test level can be measured in light years. For the safety of them and others, we should be encouraging the yoof to do the test.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:43 - 13 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like someone can’t take responsibility for their own actions and look to blame someone else!
You went too fast for the conditions. The size of the bike makes no difference, you screwed up. Face it!
You’re not the first and doubt you’ll be the last!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:52 - 13 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do subscribe to the principle that big bikes *can* be safer than smaller capacity bikes because you can accellerate quicker so you don't tend to hustle round corners quite so much to maintain speed.

On the other hand, OP is clearly a cock who wasn't taking into account road conditions so meh.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:05 - 13 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

tl;dr act like a knob on a small bike, think a bigger faster bike will make you act like less of a knob.

riiiiight.

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:05 - 13 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick with the bike, slow down a bit a junctions you wish to take, look well ahead at potential hazards perhaps watch a few tutorials, learn the etiquette of the road.
You’ll soon get fed up with getting hurt. Before long you’ll be on a 125, so it’s either ride like a fool ....but not for long, or enjoy being a good rider. Your choice.

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:15 - 13 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carry on as you are the Grim Reaper loves people like you, easy pickings Laughing

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:21 - 13 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
I do have to agree that the laws seem a bit biased against young riders, when there are no such restrictions on 17 year old car drivers (who have enough £££).

Why do I think this is bad? Because it's encouraging people to just stay on Loser plates and not doing the test. In my opinion the difference between CBT level (multiple re-do's included) and Test level can be measured in light years. For the safety of them and others, we should be encouraging the yoof to do the test.

I agree that laws are biased towards younger riders, and I would like to see the stats regarding incidents and new riders since Jan 2013 compared to the period beforehand. That being said, I'm extremely grateful that my son ended up with a 1.0 Yaris. I'd also like to see a staged licensing system for car drivers, something like toe old 125 for 2 years then unrestricted would likely suffice.

And people who stay on Loser plates along with re-taking CBT are at least having their driving assessed every two years rather than just fucking off into the sunset and never seeing an instructor or any assessment ever again.

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:48 - 13 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the age should be reduced, at 14 you can ride a 50cc moped but you have to do a theory test as well as the cbt, but if you accumulate 6 points you will be disqualified from riding/driving any vehicle for life, then at 16 you must pass a test to continue to ride 50cc but without L plates, from 17 as they are at present, the reason for allowing to ride at 14 is for them to accept responsibility for their own actions and repercussions for unacceptible behaviour, but here is the clincher their ability to hold a licence from 14 is dependent on their school grades and how they conduct themselves whilst in full time education, and any cautions or criminal behavior will count as points against their licence.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 226 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2