Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The Earth is Flat

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:28 - 15 Sep 2019    Post subject: The Earth is Flat Reply with quote

I'm sat on my Arse watching BBC iPlayer.
Who are the Flat Earthers?

What the Utter Fuck.

We have 500 registered flat Earthers in Scotland.

We have space in the asylums why are they not locked up for their own safety?

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 15 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still convinced they are trolls.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:37 - 15 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

Don't start.

There are no such things as trolls.

These flat Earthers have some fantastic arguments.

100% reasoned.

But delusional behaviour is like that.

Homeopathetics.

Fortune tellers.

Astrologists.

Christians.

Witches and ghost believers.

Muslims.

Alchemists.

Round the fuckers up and put them where they cannot be seen or heard.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:44 - 15 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: The Earth is Flat Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

We have 500 registered flat Earthers in Scotland.

Have you tried walking very far in Scotland? Flat it ain't Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:52 - 15 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the whole argument fully engaging.

It does you good sometimes to question the things you take at face value. Especially the things we were taught at school without the forum for debate.

I don't have enough academical understanding of physics to have an opinion, but it did make me think about the validity of what we define as the "norm".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:01 - 15 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What really gets me is when they say it's a NASA led conspiracy.
To what end? What does anyone have to gain from the earth being a sphere or flat? It makes no sense on that level at all.

Not to mention the Ancient Greeks worked it out a long time ago, well before NASA had anything to say about it.

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-experiment-the-ancient-greeks-used-to-show-the-earth-isnt-flat-2017-12?r=US&IR=T

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:04 - 15 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes wonder if someone like Kim Jong Un isn't spraying some kind of chemical agent around the the globe (yeah, AROUND THE GLOBE Wink Laughing ) that's turning everyone's brains to mush Rolling Eyes
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:10 - 15 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: The Earth is Flat Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
We have space in the asylums

Not really.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:10 - 15 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: The Earth is Flat Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
MCN wrote:

Not really.

We could have asylums in space.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:06 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe for one moment that most of them believe that the earth is flat. But they're making the argument anyway. Why? Because this argument is really about poststructuralism in linguistics vs structuralists' scientifically determined definitions.

Example: "a real man is a grown human being who was born with XY chromosomes which can be found in every cell" vs "a real man is someone of whose life choices I approve (i.e. isn't a drug dealing scumbag, isn't a coward, etc.)" This one's really tricky because the first definition is based on biological determinism, yet if you accept the second and the first, it opens Pandora's box to all sorts of uncomfortable questions. Is a special forces soldier more of a man than an office worker? What if the office worker has more testosterone? What if a woman doses up on huge amounts of testosterone?

Another example: "Jesus is the son of God" (Christian) vs "Jesus is the prophet of God" (Muslim) vs "Jesus is an intertextual construct, possibly allegorical, within a functional literary narrative" (historicist). Well, are they talking about the same character? No. The Christian god and the Muslim god are different, so the Christian Jesus and the Muslim Jesus are different, and the historicist's Jesus is a projected social archetype making certain widely-shared social norms (e.g. "god") possible.

It will be interesting to see which way this argument goes, because it's all about power and nothing else. If you can define and dictate and change the meaning of words, as the poststructuralists would have it, you can redefine what the "world" is, and relegate empirical scientific methodology and proofs to subordinacy. Seems ridiculous to many people now, but who knows when a collection of biological brain cells hooked up to a computer may be fed a stream of data impelling it to carry out certain tasks and make certain decisions based on the world being flat. It's happened before, before the advent of microchips (i.e. before the Age of Enlightenment), and it may happen again. Even without a chip plugged into your brain, you may honestly believe, after sufficient punishments or drugs, not only that the Muslim or Christian or any other version of god is real, but that the earth is flat. For that reason alone, I reckon you can already see who's behind this "movement".

Last edited by Bhud on 00:10 - 16 Sep 2019; edited 6 times in total

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:07 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is these cunts make it sound convincing. Watch any documentary about planet X Nibiru or watch the Skywatcher channel on YouTube. Scary stuff.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:40 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: The Earth is Flat Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
MCN wrote:

Not really.

Sorry. I meant, we could probably make space in the asylums.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:44 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: The Earth is Flat Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

There'd be plenty of space in the asylums if we built asylums in space.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:46 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSTEEL32 wrote:
I found the whole argument fully engaging.

It does you good sometimes to question the things you take at face value. Especially the things we were taught at school without the forum for debate.

I don't have enough academical understanding of physics to have an opinion, but it did make me think about the validity of what we define as the "norm".

With all due respect Sir.

You need to read more 'informed' material.

Try to understand exactly what the definition of science is.

Flat Earthers simply do not understand the sciency stuff that they go on about.
I'm sure that they are convinced though.

But being convinced of something has little to do with the truth.

There are some Half Baked (in both terms of the word) sciency people giving an informed opinion but they theorise in nonsense.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:48 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: The Earth is Flat Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
MCN wrote:

A very lucid Saganism.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:51 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: The Earth is Flat Reply with quote

Thing is, there's lots of space in space. You could even space the asylums out a lot for your spaced-out inmates. You know, so as not to block the view of space.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:54 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
I don't believe for one moment that most of them believe that the earth is flat. But they're making the argument anyway. Why? Because this argument is really about poststructuralism in linguistics vs structuralists' scientifically determined definitions.

Example: "a real man is a grown human being who was born with XY chromosomes which can be found in every cell" vs "a real man is someone of whose life choices I approve (i.e. isn't a drug dealing scumbag, isn't a coward, etc.)" This one's really tricky because the first definition is based on biological determinism, yet if you accept the second and the first, it opens Pandora's box to all sorts of uncomfortable questions. Is a special forces soldier more of a man than an office worker? What if the office worker has more testosterone? What if a woman doses up on huge amounts of testosterone?

Another example: "Jesus is the son of God" (Christian) vs "Jesus is the prophet of God" (Muslim) vs "Jesus is an intertextual construct, possibly allegorical, within a functional literary narrative" (historicist). Well, are they talking about the same character? No. The Christian god and the Muslim god are different, so the Christian Jesus and the Muslim Jesus are different, and the historicist's Jesus is a projected social archetype making certain widely-shared social norms (e.g. "god") possible.

It will be interesting to see which way this argument goes, because it's all about power and nothing else. If you can define and dictate and change the meaning of words, as the poststructuralists would have it, you can redefine what the "world" is, and relegate empirical scientific methodology and proofs to subordinacy. Seems ridiculous to many people now, but who knows when a collection of biological brain cells hooked up to a computer may be fed a stream of data impelling it to carry out certain tasks and make certain decisions based on the world being flat. It's happened before, before the advent of microchips (i.e. before the Age of Enlightenment), and it may happen again. Even without a chip plugged into your brain, you may honestly believe, after sufficient punishments or drugs, not only that the Muslim or Christian or any other version of god is real, but that the earth is flat. For that reason alone, I reckon you can already see who's behind this "movement".

Real Science regulates it's self by peer review.

Basically, there can be three scientists one is an expert in his field. The other two are not so expert but are qualified to understand the explanations and theory of the expert.
Ergo, if the expert makes flawed claims then we can rely on the others to point out mistakes.
It is the way 'modern' science has evolved and it would be difficult to sway this. It is wide open to improvement.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:57 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: The Earth is Flat Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Thing is, there's lots of space in space. You could even space the asylums out a lot for your spaced-out inmates. You know, so as not to block the view of space.

What sort of spacing would you consider spacious enough?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:00 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: The Earth is Flat Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

What sort of spacing would you consider spacious enough?

That's a good question. It would depend on if the Earth is flat or round.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:06 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: The Earth is Flat Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
That's a good question. It would depend on if the Earth is flat or round.

Which begs the question if it is flat is it a square, circle, rhombus or what?

And is it possible to exist on both sides?

How thick is it?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:07 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, you think the Earth is flat?! Where are you typing from, an asylum? Rolling Eyes

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:11 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They take the computers off of us in the asylum.

It just proves that we are right and they do not want us to spread the word coz they are afraid they will lose control of the world.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:19 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
They take the computers off of us in the asylum.

It just proves that we are right and they do not want us to spread the word coz they are afraid they will lose control of the world.

It's probably more a case of not having the funds for everyone to have their own computer. And by having less of them, they save......noooo! It can't be time for my sedative yet! Let me finish talking to God!

This jacket's on the wrong way round isn't it?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:38 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

Trolls aren't even trolls nowadays. The term trolling started originally referred to people who trolled multiple usenet groups posting comments designed to lure an unsuspecting user into arguments (analogous to the fishing terminology of trolling i.e. dragging a baited hook through a wide area of likely fishing ground in the hope for a bite). Nowadays the preponderance of memes depicting an ugly creature with a wicked grin has turned the verb into a noun and the original meaning has been all but forgotten.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:04 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Pjay wrote:

Trolls aren't even trolls nowadays. The term trolling started originally referred to people who trolled multiple usenet groups posting comments designed to lure an unsuspecting user into arguments (analogous to the fishing terminology of trolling i.e. dragging a baited hook through a wide area of likely fishing ground in the hope for a bite). Nowadays the preponderance of memes depicting an ugly creature with a wicked grin has turned the verb into a noun and the original meaning has been all but forgotten.

Trawling Monsieur.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 216 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3