The Earth is Flat

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:36 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
What really gets me is when they say it's a NASA led conspiracy.
To what end? What does anyone have to gain from the earth being a sphere or flat?

The conspiracy argument could be based on the belief that NASA is lying about the shape of the earth so they receive money to build those satellites that supposedly 'orbit' the 'round' earth. Really they're just using it as an excuse to keep themselves in a job and write their paycheck with taxpayer funds.

It's a bit like those idiots who think climate change is a science conspiracy for similar reasons.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:04 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Trawling Monsieur.

Nope. Trawling is fishing with a net. Trolling is fishing with a line and hook.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:36 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
MCN wrote:

Trawling Monsieur.

Nope. Trawling is fishing with a net. Trolling is fishing with a line and hook.

R U shoor?

"The English noun "troll" in the standard sense of ugly dwarf or giant dates to 1610 and comes from the Old Norse word "troll" meaning giant or demon.[18] The word evokes the trolls of Scandinavian folklore and children's tales: antisocial, quarrelsome and slow-witted creatures which make life difficult for travellers.[19][20]

In modern English usage, "trolling" may describe the fishing technique of slowly dragging a lure or baited hook from a moving boat,[21] whereas trawling describes the generally commercial act of dragging a fishing net. Early non-Internet slang use of "trolling" can be found in the military: by 1972 the term "trolling for MiGs" was documented in use by US Navy pilots in Vietnam. It referred to use of "...decoys, with the mission of drawing...fire away..."[22]"

We must be careful not to align modern use (supported and proliferated) in popular online media sources.

I know fishing as trawling using a net or bag pulled behind a boat.

A troll lives under a road culvert, bridge, tunnel, cave or other troglodyte habitat.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes the flat Earthers. There are definitely people trolling the whole thing and creating intelligent arguments for it. The problem is, you have Mad Dave and Braindead Betty along the street who listen to those clever trolling arguments, believe it and so spread the word.

I have a neighbour who when he sees a vapour trail (chemtrail) runs out the house, takes a photo, curses the chemicals and runs indoors, uploads to some group and then curses government for controlling his brain..

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSTEEL32 wrote:
I don't have enough academical understanding of physics to have an opinion, but it did make me think about the validity of what we define as the "norm".

The easiest way to prove the earth is spherical is to go down to a harbour and watch a ship sail away from you. As it reaches the horizon it will appear to sink down into the sea.

DISCLAIMER: You need good eyesight for this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:02 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
It's a bit like those idiots who think climate change is a science conspiracy for similar reasons.

https://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/upsDownsGlobalWarming.html

I'm not saying the earth isn't warming, my argument is that it always has since the last ice age.

I mean all you need to do is look at the tiny increases to know it's not going to end the world anytime soon, if ever.

Yes humans add to it, I don't give a fuck is my point.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:26 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
GSTEEL32 wrote:
I don't have enough academical understanding of physics to have an opinion, but it did make me think about the validity of what we define as the "norm".

The easiest way to prove the earth is spherical is to go down to a harbour and watch a ship sail away from you. As it reaches the horizon it will appear to sink down into the sea.

Nah mate yeah mate.

That's a delusion of round. It's just the ship going down a hill. In the distance.

BigTim
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:32 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago my Doctor told me about a Spike Milligan sketch.

A flat earther and his mate arguing about earth being round or not decide to settle the argument by going up in a plane.

unfortunately its very cloudy, but eventually there is a break in the cloud,

the flat earther shouts "i can see the earth"

other guy says "did it look round?"

Flat earther says "yes but i don't think it saw us!"

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:

Pfft
thas no proof!
typical NASA lies

How do you know its not sinking
or falling off the waterfall at the edge of world
or being pulled under by monster tentacled crab monsters

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:35 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Homeopathetics.

I generally referr people who enquire about homeopathy to the following website:

https://www.howdoeshomeopathywork.com/

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:35 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The earth is flat and Finland doesn't exist. Thumbs Up

"Finland is not a real country. Not only is it not a real country but there is actually no landmass there at all, and the space between Sweden and Russia is actually empty ocean.

Now I realize that this notion seems ridiculous but that is why the conspiracy works, and why people are afraid to speak out against the existence of Finland, so I would ask you to approach the evidence I put forward here with an open mind.

Finland was first created some time during the Cold War between Russia and the West. It was also around this time that environmentalism and the idea of preserving our planet was really taking off, and it is due to both of those things that two of the main players in the Finland conspiracy came to work closely with each other, Russia and Japan."

https://www.reddit.com/r/finlandConspiracy/comments/52f5ae/the_finland_conspiracy_and_all_you_need_to_know/

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:19 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

"Finland is not a real country. Not only is it not a real country but there is actually no landmass there at all, and the space between Sweden and Russia is actually empty ocean.

Now I realize that this notion seems ridiculous but that is why the conspiracy works, and why people are afraid to speak out against the existence of Finland, so I would ask you to approach the evidence I put forward here with an open mind.

Finland was first created some time during the Cold War between Russia and the West. It was also around this time that environmentalism and the idea of preserving our planet was really taking off, and it is due to both of those things that two of the main players in the Finland conspiracy came to work closely with each other, Russia and Japan."

https://www.reddit.com/r/finlandConspiracy/comments/52f5ae/the_finland_conspiracy_and_all_you_need_to_know/

So explain the Fin Whale.

Findus Fish Fingers.

Finish Line.

Finding Nemo
and cetera.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:52 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Juha Kankkunen.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:54 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
And Juha Kankkunen.

I can what? Eh?

All sounds like someone is trying to Finnish Finland.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:55 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

R U shoor?

"The English noun "troll" in the standard sense of ugly dwarf or giant dates to 1610 and comes from the Old Norse word "troll" meaning giant or demon.[18] The word evokes the trolls of Scandinavian folklore and children's tales: antisocial, quarrelsome and slow-witted creatures which make life difficult for travellers.[19][20]

In modern English usage, "trolling" may describe the fishing technique of slowly dragging a lure or baited hook from a moving boat,[21] whereas trawling describes the generally commercial act of dragging a fishing net. Early non-Internet slang use of "trolling" can be found in the military: by 1972 the term "trolling for MiGs" was documented in use by US Navy pilots in Vietnam. It referred to use of "...decoys, with the mission of drawing...fire away..."[22]"

We must be careful not to align modern use (supported and proliferated) in popular online media sources.

I know fishing as trawling using a net or bag pulled behind a boat.

A troll lives under a road culvert, bridge, tunnel, cave or other troglodyte habitat.

You seem to be arguing for me.

Or are you just trawling?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:01 - 17 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

You seem to be arguing for me.

Or are you just trawling?

Triggering
Trolling
Trawling

Smile

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:11 - 17 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I file flat earthers in with belief in aliens and Area 51, etc.

And my answer is always the same: does it matter?

"But aliens are taking over the government!"

Really? Doing a pretty shitty job then! You'd think ppl who'd mastered intergalactic travel could handle our simple systems of governance a little better.

I'd like think that aliens would probably end up hanging out in galleries or rock concerts: art is timeless. Even neolithic jewellery has beauty.

"The Earth is flat because [insert unbelievably unscientific bullshit here]"

Okay, so I accept your oh so convincing arguments: the Earth is flat. Now what? Can a Flat Earth get me a better job or improve my wife's cooking?

Thought not Wink

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:11 - 17 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little things please little minds I suppose Smile

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:15 - 17 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I file flat earthers in with belief in aliens and Area 51, etc.

Have you heard of Bob Lazar?

Try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEWz4SXfyCQ

I'm saying nothing Silence
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:27 - 17 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Area 51

Just four more days until Storm Area 51, They Can't Stop All of Us.

https://www.facebook.com/events/448435052621047/

Mr. Green

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:07 - 17 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Easy-X wrote:
Area 51

Just four more days until Storm Area 51, They Can't Stop All of Us.

https://www.facebook.com/events/448435052621047/

Mr. Green

I read that had been postponed through lack of any real interest.

That doesn't mean the secrets locked away in area 51 (and other places we don't know about) don't exist.

The government is only there to stop us ordinary responsible humans from finding out the truth.

When the Lord God sends his son Jesus back down to this earth to takes us then a lot of shit is going down.
We know that is true because the bible tells us so.
Hallelujah Praise his soul.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:04 - 17 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put flat earthers in the same category as the deranged shitflaps that believe in chemtrails, that vaccines are harmful and that Muslims have a hidden agenda to take over the world by grooming teenage girls.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 17 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
Juha Kankkunen.

And I Claim My Five Pounds, to give him his full name............

...........small rallying joke there

https://emoticons.datahamster.com/getmecoat.gif

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:31 - 17 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

You need to read more 'informed' material.

This, to me,is the crux of any opinion in modern times.

People do turn to other sources for information, when they feel "mainstream " or "traditional " routes are fundamentally flawed.

Unfortunately, as you pointed out, being a wacko with an internet connection gives you the same access to an audience as a research fellow with 50 years in the field.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 17 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

What I want to know if Ste is a real person and not a bot, why can't I see any of the 'Ste' pictures without clicking on a link. That's what a bot would do, everyone else's pictures are on the post but with Stebot you gotta click a link....
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 221 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3