Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

NAS recommendations.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: NAS recommendations. Reply with quote

Morning,

I'm looking to consolidate a lot of my DVD collection. Especially the TV box sets I've accumulated over the years.

Looking to get a NAS as my LG TV supports Plex, so as far as I understand I should be able to use that to access a NAS?

Any recommendations? Something simple to set up would be ideal!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:01 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old LG NAS and a Synology. The Synology cost a bomb and includes 6TB of storage. The LG is better built with more mature software and a faster interface. The Synology is easier to set up, and has more storage.

It is however put together like a cheap Chinese knock off Nintendo clone. I'm actually very disappointed after being recommended them over and over. It does what it says on the tin, and does meet the reccomendations of people, but I'm sad that it looks like a piece of pressed steel with a plastic box.

It's probably just the standard of things these days though, as the LG is over fifteen years old now (and they don't make 'em any more!!).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:54 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for building a web-server using a Pi and a fast HDD. Versatile, expandable. Can be used as a web server if you want one (host your own photos), NAS (in that you would be able to connect directly to it locally as a server) and you could set it up to VPN into it remotely from other devices. Watch your DVDs at work or when on holiday.

I looked into doing this after the photobucket debacle. Never did in the end but it didn't seem particularly tricky or expensive. Two things to spend money on are a good HDD with a fast retrieve speed and a decent quality powered USB hub.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:14 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stickwheel's advice is the better option.

I started with a NAS and soon realised how limiting it was, moved to a HP Microserver (4 3.5" HDD bays and 2 2.5" SSDs where the DVD should be). I use Windows for ease* and naturally it can do anything Windows can. I still have the NAS but it's for backups only.

*with Windows 7, Server 2008 R2 coming to end of support I'll be revisiting Linux.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I'd go for building a web-server using a Pi and a fast HDD.

This^

It's become a reality now that the pi4 has gigabit ethernet and usb3.
I have a NAS running OpenMediaVault https://www.openmediavault.org/

I have it currently on a 4GB model with a 5TB drive attached to to it. I will be replacing it for a 2GB or 1GB model as my logs show that the pi has only ever peaked at 800MB load.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:32 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
The question is though...Do you need it backing up or not?
The number of people I know now who put their entire life on a 6TB or so system then lose a drive with no backup or fault tolerance in place is growing.

Remember the old saying about putting all your eggs in one feck off basket? DVD and box sets might be OK, but some people forget the value a digital music collection can run up to if it's made up of legit downloads.

Trick is to build a web server and buddy-up with someone else who has one. Set them to back-up to one another across a VPN.

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
The number of people I know now who put their entire life on a 6TB or so system then lose a drive with no backup or fault tolerance in place is growing.

Remember the old saying about putting all your eggs in one feck off basket? DVD and box sets might be OK, but some people forget the value a digital music collection can run up to if it's made up of legit downloads.

Yesh, it's an importanct consideration... For DVDs etc, I'm not too bothered, it'd be a PITA to re-rip them all, but not impossible.

Personal docs, I'd have a backup copy online somewhere.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

LustyLew wrote:
mpd72 wrote:

Yesh, it's an importanct consideration... For DVDs etc, I'm not too bothered, it'd be a PITA to re-rip them all, but not impossible.

Personal docs, I'd have a backup copy online somewhere.

Use a USB hard drive or flash drive to backups of anything you don't want to lose. Online backups can easily disappear if the company shuts down or closes your account.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have backups of backups and then cloud backups.

Only thing missing is offsite backup of non-important stuff.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of 128GB MicroSD cards that I purchased from Amazon to keep my important stuff backed up and stored away. I also have a 100GB Google Drive that holds most important of it (in passworded rar files) and I also have a 5TB external drive stored away with my music and movies on it.

I've not lost any data in a long while, everything I have is backed up at least once.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:54 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I have an old LG NAS and a Synology. The Synology cost a bomb and includes 6TB of storage. The LG is better built with more mature software and a faster interface. The Synology is easier to set up, and has more storage.

It is however put together like a cheap Chinese knock off Nintendo clone. I'm actually very disappointed after being recommended them over and over. It does what it says on the tin, and does meet the reccomendations of people, but I'm sad that it looks like a piece of pressed steel with a plastic box.

It's probably just the standard of things these days though, as the LG is over fifteen years old now (and they don't make 'em any more!!).

Was that one of the low end ones?

I use a couple of the mid range Synology boxes at home and they're as well made as anything else these days. I've also got customers that have been running them (a couple of them multi-site using the file sync features) 24x7 for several years so they have good reliability.

The nice thing with Synology is that stuff works with very little effort.
RAID, permissions, backups (to external media or other NAS boxes).

Also most software you'd want is included - media servers, CCTV recording system, anti-virus, etc

Easy to access over t'internet and no licencing - not everyone will want to run a dodgy copy of Windows.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:25 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:
Was that one of the low end ones?

I use a couple of the mid range Synology boxes at home and they're as well made as anything else these days. I've also got customers that have been running them (a couple of them multi-site using the file sync features) 24x7 for several years so they have good reliability.

The nice thing with Synology is that stuff works with very little effort.
RAID, permissions, backups (to external media or other NAS boxes).

Also most software you'd want is included - media servers, CCTV recording system, anti-virus, etc

Easy to access over t'internet and no licencing - not everyone will want to run a dodgy copy of Windows.

It's a 2 bay, but it's the advanced 'big CPU' version which allows 4k streaming. I can't remember the model number off hand. It just looks like a fisher price toy, but with no safety regulations.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 220 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1