Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cloud Storage Services

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:32 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Cloud Storage Services Reply with quote

I was going to tag this onto the NAS thread but it seemed a bit of a tangent....

Anyhoo, slightly disappointed that I've got a new Samsung phone and they no longer throw in 100GB of free OneDrive any more Sad

I don't really want to throw money at OneDrive if I have to so I'm weighing up OneDrive/GoogleDrive/Dropbox/etc. (i.e. paid services) versus self-service - raw AWS space, local OwnCloud/NextCloud.

I only need it to auto-upload my photos so I can grab them from a PC.

OwnCloud or NextCloud might be the cheapest but they only seem to play nice with Linux these days. I could go down the Docker route I suppose...

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: Cloud Storage Services Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
OwnCloud or NextCloud might be the cheapest but they only seem to play nice with Linux these days.

Is that a recent 'feature'? ... when I used to work with lots of Linux VM servers, OwnCloud was my tool of choice as it worked nicely with Linux, Windows and Android.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azure blob and AWS are dirt cheap for storage, just remember ingress is free, but egress is charged for.

An Office 365 E1 license is about £6 a month and gives you 1TB of storage for SharePoint / OneDrive as well as a host of other services. You can usually find discount codes as well to get it down to about £4.

Don’t know how much the others you mention are.

Last edited by owl on 18:29 - 16 Sep 2019; edited 2 times in total

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: Cloud Storage Services Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

OwnCloud or NextCloud might be the cheapest but they only seem to play nice with Linux these days. I could go down the Docker route I suppose...

Really, works well with Andoid, Linux, and even a Windows machine I help look after, can't say I've come across any problems.

Not too sure how you view docker as a cloud storage platform? Unless you mean, run owncloud via docker instance. Of course, there is still the dropbox option, but, I moved away from dropbox, for, fairly obvious reasons..

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:53 - 16 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

owl wrote:
Azure blob and AWS are dirt cheap for storage, just remember ingress is free, but egress is charged for.

Good point, might be a good idea for a final destination; port of last resort sort of thing.

As for Office 365 I already have an account provided by my office but I'm not going to clog up my works account with pr0n personal stuff Smile

Regarding OwnCloud/NextCloud they have clients for all platforms but the server only runs on Linux or as a Docker instance. OwnCloud used to work on Windows servers but apparently they stopped supporting that a while back and NextCloud has no Windows server support at all.

Hmm... my current home server is a little Mini-ITX thing running Windows and it's been very reliable running Serviio, etc. I have been meaning to upgrade it to a later i5 CPU and motherboard that I salvaged from a job a while back. I suppose I could convert it to an ESXi server at the same time and just run Windows and Linux as instances.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:22 - 17 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: Cloud Storage Services Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
II only need it to auto-upload my photos so I can grab them from a PC.

Google photos is free and unlimited for photos up to 16mp and 1080p video

https://www.google.com/photos/about/

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 17 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Regarding OwnCloud/NextCloud they have clients for all platforms but the server only runs on Linux or as a Docker instance.

Oh yeah, very good point. We used a Linux VM as our OC server.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:49 - 17 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: Cloud Storage Services Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
Easy-X wrote:
II only need it to auto-upload my photos so I can grab them from a PC.

Google photos is free and unlimited for photos up to 16mp and 1080p video

https://www.google.com/photos/about/

Hahaha! I work in IT, how come I don't know this shit Rolling Eyes

I think I could probably get away with Google Photos + manual backups to AWS for everything else. This looks just the job: https://s3browser.com/ I'd rather sync stuff manually anyway.

Once everything's backed up then I might rebuild my server Smile

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 15:33 - 17 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: Cloud Storage Services Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

you would not be the first person to work in IT who doesn't know shit about IT.

it seems that IT management roles are full of them.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:27 - 17 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: Cloud Storage Services Reply with quote

ColinK98 wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

you would not be the first person to work in IT who doesn't know shit about IT.

it seems that IT management roles are full of them.

https://media.giphy.com/media/DUtVdGeIU8lmo/giphy.gif

All you need Wink

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:21 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I needn't have panicked: while OneDrive is bleating over the cloud storage dropping back to 5GB I discovered Samsung were also backing up all the photo's to their own storage... up to 15GB for free (probably why they dropped the OneDrive offer.)

Anyway, Google Photos is easy enough so I've set it the task of backing up all my photos - just shy of 10,000 Shocked

I think I might head over to the NAS thread and reconsider my current setup.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 211 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1