Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

motorcycle aerodynamics.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:40 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: motorcycle aerodynamics. Reply with quote

Got home stinking of exhaust (again) and had one of me thinks.
Bikes just aint aerodynamic and mine is very un-aerodynamic.

I could dump the top box,fit a full fairing and clip ons
and lay over the tank but it would be uncomfortable and impractical
so sod that.
Did some googling.

This was an interesting read and got me digging out the sellotape and cow gum
and cutting up pizza boxes and old washing up liquid bottles to make strakes,
turbulators winglets and pressure ducts.
that and a bottle of that laminar airflow should improve it

https://canadamotoguide.com/2016/05/04/motorcycle-aerodynamics/

anyone got any cunning wheezes for sit up and beg touring things?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:29 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're talking about your CX500, right? If I was to fairing up that bike, I would fit a factory fairing from a completely different bike (e.g. FJ1200) to it. Any factory fairing at all, really. A factory fairing or an engineered fairing (e.g. Powerbronze) would be the way to go. It's an old-school approach and it works. It would be completely different (and more effective) than a random headlight screen. For example XJ600S/XJ900S fairings are as ugly as hell but they really work: they keep all the elements and wind off you as long as you keep above 40mph, and you can keep the revs down and relax and feel as comfortable when you get to your destination as if you'd gone there by car.

I've made a fairing before, from scratch, from my own "beliefs" about aerodynamic principles. I could describe every step of it and maybe find a picture or two if you insist. That would be funny (MDF, slits, old linen sheets, PVA-and-water solution were involved). That fairing I made was a failure. When bike manufacturers design and engineer these things they have software simulations and wind tunnels.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:47 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do what we'd do and tuck yourself in behind a double decker bus. It was a much easier way to travel between villages on our 50s and quite warm too.
If you're touring then look for one of those mega coaches taking folk to British touristy spots.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:48 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently additional weight negates any advantage until you are going over about 50mph.
While most journeys exceed that for a while, a lot of times the average will be lower.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 08:16 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Apparently additional weight negates any advantage until you are going over about 50mph.
While most journeys exceed that for a while, a lot of times the average will be lower.

As my fairing weighs a lot less than the almax chain aand keeps the inclement weather off at a much lower speed than 50, I'll not worry about that unduely.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:25 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a carbon fibre dustbin, but preferably not attached to the forks!

https://www.mcnews.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/MV-Agusta-Ballistic-Trident-5-1024x545.jpg

https://www.mcnews.com.au/mv-agusta-ballistic-trident-special/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 08:27 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Arrrggggh, my fucking eyes!

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:46 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could go for the Enfield Dreamliner look Smile

https://images.cdn.circlesix.co/image/1/700/0/uploads/posts/2018/01/05f9d01a604907b0f818db69703a8247.jpg
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:49 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hayabusa is meant to be very aerodynamic but a what speed. I suspect it's a very illegal 3 figures before it starts to have any effect,

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:32 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of think being battered by elements is the essence of biking. I expect that most of us have a car as well as bikes. If it's pissing down, I use the car. The times I get caught out fifty miles from home in bad weather, I pull a sailing suit out of my rear light / underseat pod and put it on.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:57 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most normal riders do this.~
https://robbreportedit.files.wordpress.com/2018/09/high-res-rolfree_w-mountains2.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:23 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting article. About the only thing it didn't reference was rain!

I noticed turbulence a lot on the ebikes. Over 25mph it's quite a dramatic effect on something with absolutely zero aerodynamics whereas for motorbikes it's just mildly annoying >50mph for me.

I think the article is right though: set your priority on comfort rather that speed or efficiency.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:01 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to get a proper head-battering on the Fazer, but by sheer luck, managed to decide on a lid that completely got rid of it. If I had a fuel tank big enough, and a bank balance to match, I could go flat out on it all day now, sat happily upright.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:27 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They used to put full, aluminium fairings on 50cc road racers. That should tell you a lot about how important aerodynamics are.

Like Easy-X it is a thing that constantly bugs me about electric bikes in that of all motorcycles, they should be fitted with a super slippy fairing and front mudguard to increase speed and range.

Your topbox probably isn't as important as you think. It's non-laminar frontal area that's the killer, the topbox will be mostly in the void behind the rider... It might even improve aerodynamics slightly.

The front wheel/forks/callipers is a big issue too. The Hayabusa mudguard is probably one of the slippiest on the market.

For a CX500, I'd want an old Rickman or Vetter style fairing. There's a French company that make fibreglass replicas.

A "Tête de fourche" is a nose fairing, a "Carénage" is a full fairing and a "Bulle" is a screen.

www.poly26.com

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:34 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the article:

Quote:
On a bike, once you go over about 30 km/h, air pressure starts to dominate proceedings. Air pressure rises to the cube of speed, meaning that for every kilometer per hour, the corresponding air resistance increases by a multiple of 3

No it bloody doesn't. If you're going to write an article on aerodynamics at least get that fundamental aspect right.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:14 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
They used to put full, aluminium fairings on 50cc road racers. That should tell you a lot about how important aerodynamics are.

Like Easy-X it is a thing that constantly bugs me about electric bikes in that of all motorcycles, they should be fitted with a super slippy fairing and front mudguard to increase speed and range.

Your topbox probably isn't as important as you think. It's non-laminar frontal area that's the killer, the topbox will be mostly in the void behind the rider... It might even improve aerodynamics slightly.

The front wheel/forks/callipers is a big issue too. The Hayabusa mudguard is probably one of the slippiest on the market.

For a CX500, I'd want an old Rickman or Vetter style fairing. There's a French company that make fibreglass replicas.

A "Tête de fourche" is a nose fairing, a "Carénage" is a full fairing and a "Bulle" is a screen.

www.poly26.com

Butt... no pun. The trailing edge of an aerofoil is as important to it's performance as the leading edge.
Turbulent air flow is the enemy.

A poorly designed trailing edge creates a lot more drag. Drag is a major contribution to wind resistance.

I just try to present the smallest area to the wind and get down behind the screen.

I don't know if an anal pucker has any effect in one's overall Coefficient of Drag though. More study required.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:41 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trailing airflow is VERY important. From my landspeed days I recall that 6 degrees is considered the magic number for getting the airflow off a streamliner smoothly which is why they have such a long trailing section.

One guy came up to me after most of a frustrating day getting 198, 199, 197mph on his 'busa. He said "what can I do to get that last 2mph, I've never been so close. I told him "lift your arse off the seat 2 inches and you'll piss it". Next run he did, and managed to finally break 200mph.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:48 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Butt... no pun. The trailing edge of an aerofoil is as important to it's performance as the leading edge.

A poorly designed trailing edge creates a lot more drag. Drag is a major contribution to wind resistance.

I just try to present the smallest area to the wind and get down behind the screen.

I don't know if an anal pucker has any effect in one's overall Coefficient of Drag though. More study required.

Exactly. And the back of a person is a sharper drop-off than the head and shoulders of a person stepping down to a rounded edge top-box (in the context of a CX500 here).

I think the factor there is the gap between the rider and the box. It can form a venturi effect if there's a big gap (which lifts the back of your jacket) which I think would be counter-productive. At other times it completes the "bubble" between the fairing and the back of the bike better than the rider alone does. I think a bag strapped to the pillion seat in front of the top box improves matters.

You get really weird effects though. My last VFR used to form a vacuum inside my helmet if you went over 150mph with a tank bag on to the point it was really difficult to breathe.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:57 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
MCN wrote:

Exactly. And the back of a person is a sharper drop-off than the head and shoulders of a person stepping down to a rounded edge top-box (in the context of a CX500 here).

I think the factor there is the gap between the rider and the box. It can form a venturi effect if there's a big gap (which lifts the back of your jacket) which I think would be counter-productive. At other times it completes the "bubble" between the fairing and the back of the bike better than the rider alone does. I think a bag strapped to the pillion seat in front of the top box improves matters.

You get really weird effects though. My last VFR used to form a vacuum inside my helmet if you went over 150mph with a tank bag on to the point it was really difficult to breathe.

What? You rode at 150 MPH without a pressure suit? 😮🤣

I bought a shuberth safety hat purely for the intercomfunctionality. (It has a comms collar with Bluetooth etc.)

One of the advertised features was it was the only had designed in a wind tunnel.
This was to improve wind noise and aerodynamic stability.
They shouted about it being the quietest helmet on the market.

I call boolshyte on that claim.

My Shoei was as good as the shuberth and was half the cost for Noise and Stability.

They also spouted about the design being influenced by the champion of head protection F1 driver Arnold Shumaker. Well... WTF? 😮

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:32 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure the smooth rounded sides of my top box adds another 10mph when I lean over the tank.

https://www.eventsphotos.co.uk/v/p/PFekSnsCQRcTaLfdmTwb8d2m-11-30-11-45-dsc4084-1566886802.jpg
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Bikes is windy, get over it or buy a car ' and all that

Its stinking of exhaust fumes that bugs me most.
All the turbulence is obviously sucking back exhaust fumes
and was wondering if a tail pipe extension/deflector type thing
made from sticky back plastic & old washing up bottles a la Blue Peter
or bean tins now I'm grown man and allowed to play with sharp things would help lessen the stench

I may do some experimending bodgineering on this

Last edited by WD Forte on 15:55 - 18 Sep 2019; edited 1 time in total

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:

or bean tins now I'm grown man would help lessen the stench

I've never noticed this, surely it's more likely on a bike with a fairing?

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming its the screen, then me and then the 45L top box
creating the effect

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:01 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
I'm assuming its the screen, then me and then the 45L top box
creating the effect

It'll be the box creating the vacuum sucking up the exhaust.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:52 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:

or bean tins now I'm grown man and allowed to play with sharp things would help lessen the stench

Be careful that you don't cop a feel from the Local Cuntstablarry for Construction & Use infringement/s.

🤣
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 222 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2