Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

UK inflation slumps to lowest level since 2016

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:11 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: UK inflation slumps to lowest level since 2016 Reply with quote

UK inflation slumps to lowest level since 2016 @ 1.7%

Now correct me if I am wrong but that headline, using the word slumps suggests it is a bad thing.

For someone on a fixed pension (me) and for all the low income people, low inflation has got to be a good thing surely?

Bloody news always seems to want to paint the worst side of everything.

https://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/uk-inflation-slumps-to-lowest-level-since-2016-11364395634228

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:15 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well deflation is definitely not good on the whole, but considering the drops in pound value the figures are surprising.
The underlying concern is weak demand, lack of confidence and waiting to see what happens with B word.

Perhaps we need a sudden jump in oil prices. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:18 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Well deflation is definitely not good on the whole, but considering the drops in pound value the figures are surprising.
The underlying concern is weak demand, lack of confidence and waiting to see what happens with B word.

Perhaps we need a sudden jump in oil prices. Rolling Eyes

Why? I have never understood that. Stuff being cheaper is good.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would appear to be a good thing!
However, it could be used as an excuse for the introduction of negative interest rates.
Gotta keep us plebs in our place! Wink

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
However, it could be used as an excuse for the introduction of negative interest rates.

Get negative interest rates and the value of the pound will drop dramatically. Could be time to invest in some Euros. Shocked

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:11 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting use of language yes.

Reminds me of 'Crash out' of EU without a deal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:12 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Suntan Sid wrote:

Get negative interest rates and the value of the pound will drop dramatically. Could be time to invest in some Euros. Shocked

Is that why the European Central Bank is on negative interest, so they can drop the value of the Euro? Thinking
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:28 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents remind me of the good old days of the 90's where inflation 'boomed' at around 13%.

Only 2 hours left until I can Crash Out of work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Why? I have never understood that. Stuff being cheaper is good.

It can go into a vicious circle of falling wages and undercutting because you have to.
People won't buy stuff because it will be cheaper next month.
Eventually major suppliers fail and then hyperinflation can set in.
Then there's the bank interest thing, EU already has some negative deposit rates (how does that work in practice Laughing )
The Bank of England has a target around 2% with good reason.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:00 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Diggs wrote:

The Eurozone has already seen negative interest rates hasn't it?
Mind you, the Europhile press will have you believe everything is rosy in the Empire of Greater GEUrmany.

Do keep up with the hidden news Diggs.

You misunderstand me. I don't mean buy euros and park them in a bank that returns at best sweet f.a. in interest. I mean swap some Sterling for Euros and watch the comparative value of those Euros rise as Sterling drops should we go to negative interest.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:15 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
You misunderstand me. I don't mean buy euros and park them in a bank that returns at best sweet f.a. in interest. I mean swap some Sterling for Euros and watch the comparative value of those Euros rise as Sterling drops should we go to negative interest.

But surely that should work in reverse: our interest rates are positive and theirs are negative. We should be buying pounds today with a view to changing position to Euros should the roles reverse...

Have I got that right?!

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My feeling is if we ever actually leave the EU within a couple of years the main problem might be too high £ v €
The world is full of investors looking to speculate.
It won't help our exports though

I see the city is going from strength to strength with UK based deals far ahead of nearest competition from the US. That wasn't supposed to happen.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it's good. I mean imagine people seeing interest rates of 5 or even 10% these days. It'd hit a lot of people who owe money and that's basically everyone.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:13 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Diggs wrote:

The Eurozone has already seen negative interest rates hasn't it?

Yes, the Eurozone has been in negative interest for some months. It hasn't been working, so they've recently dropped them again, and some are saying they will stay low for some time, maybe even have to drop further still.

As I gather, this is not for some kind of added advantage, it's because they are having problems. He-he! Shifty
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Diggs wrote:

You misunderstand me
. I don't mean buy euros and park them in a bank that returns at best sweet f.a. in interest. I mean swap some Sterling for Euros and watch the comparative value of those Euros rise as Sterling drops should we go to negative interest.

Did you even think before tying that?

Indeed I did. What was being speculated upon was a fall on the pound in comparison with the Euro.

To put it into terms you may understand:

Assume a pint costs £1. If on Monday one pound = two euros and you exchange euros for sterling, it would effectively cost you two euros to buy a pint. If on Tuesday the pound fell in comparison with the euro to 1 pound = 1 euro, then each euro converted to sterling can buy that pint. In other words, the buying power of each euro you have increases as sterling falls.

This is a dramatic example and it would never be that severe in the real world, but you get my drift...

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UK isn't in deflation, inflation is just lower.

mpd72 wrote:
bhinso wrote:
My parents remind me of the good old days of the 90's where inflation 'boomed' at around 13%.

Yeah but, they were practically gifted a house according to generation gimme.

Surely its the baby boomers who are generation gimme Wink

Council houses
Boomers: Yes
Millennials: Few under construction, most sold off cheap to boomers

Pensions
Boomers: State and private pensions
Millennials: Will have to pay into pensions but very unlikely to ever receive one

Education
Boomers: Free tuition fees
Millennials: £3000 to £9250 per year

Bus pass, Brainwashing consumption funding permit (aka "TV Licence")
Boomers: "Free"
Millennials: Lucky escape

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:17 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
The UK isn't in deflation, inflation is just lower.

mpd72 wrote:
bhinso wrote:

Yeah but, they were practically gifted a house according to generation gimme.

Surely its the baby boomers who are generation gimme Wink

Council houses
Boomers: Yes
Millennials: Few under construction, most sold off cheap to boomers

Pensions
Boomers: State and private pensions
Millennials: Will have to pay into pensions but very unlikely to ever receive one

Education
Boomers: Free tuition fees
Millennials: £3000 to £9250 per year

Bus pass, Brainwashing consumption funding permit (aka "TV Licence")
Boomers: "Free"
Millennials: Lucky escape

Oi...

Sloppy use of stats mucky mucker my muck.

The percieved payouts uiu listed are all related to the UK performance in the world market.
Many indicators have drastically changed over time.

Boomers had to do sums on their hands or on paper. Not allowed to use machines.

Millennials, mum or dad do the sums.

🤣

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:06 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I were a kid I got 50 pence a week pocket money and were grateful for it... aye, kids today...

The sod of it was: the smallest box of Lego in Woolworths was £1.10 at the time which meant I had to save up for 3 weeks Shocked

Now the kids order on Prime and get the shit they're "entitled" to same day Evil or Very Mad

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:37 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a mortgage holder. To me inflation is free money.

Low inflation gives me a sad.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 219 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2