Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

PASSED MY CBT. THEORY BOOKED. WHAT NOW!?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

ashleyman
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:54 - 18 Sep 2019    Post subject: PASSED MY CBT. THEORY BOOKED. WHAT NOW!? Reply with quote

Been a car driver for 11 years but that’s where my experience stops. Recently got a new job and want to commute the 9 miles each way per day through South London on a bike to avoid the trains so went and did my CBT. I passed it but I’m just wondering what to do next.

Now, I was the only one in my group of 4 who was learning on a manual and everything felt super rushed. I was struggling with the gears, finding neutral and the bite point for the first hour or so and then it kinda clicked and I was getting better but I still felt a bit rubbish. After the road test the instructor looked at the bike, determined it had been dropped before I got it and that the clutch lever was well out of alignment and said I didn’t do too bad considering. I also felt the space between the peg and the gear lever was super tight but probably because I wasn’t used to the controls and wearing unfamiliar boots. I dunno.

Anyway, he took me and this other guy out last as he said we seemed to grasp it pretty quickly compared with the other 2 (surprising considering I was crap with gears) our road ride portion lasted about 1.5 hours and for me it felt awful. The other guy was 16, had no idea of the highway code and it really showed. He kept pulling out too fast, couldn’t judge what a safe place was, no idea where to indicate which meant the instructor was shouting down the intercom so I constantly felt like I was being told off and then kept second guessing myself about my position, my signals and my observations. We both passed which makes me question if I was actually any good at all!

Anyway, the instructor knew I wanted to do DAS so when we got back to site I asked him what he recommended for me to do next in order to prepare me for DAS and the test. He said I should go and rent a 125 for a few weekends and get the practice in, learn to be smooth in every possible way then do an assessment ride whilst sorting my theory and then do the MOD1/2 tests in spring. I'd already booked my theory before my CBT and it's next week and I dont see the point in postponing - already acting the practice tests.

I've gone ahead and bought myself a helmet + all the bits but I'm stuck with what to do for practice. I have 3 options which are:

Buy a 125CC and get as much practice in as possible. PX when I pass for something bigger.
Rent a 125CC at weekends for a couple weeks and get as much practice in as possible.
Buy / Rent nothing and go for a 5 day DAS course.

Lots of people have said don't bother with a 125 and go straight for a DAS but I'm guessing the instructor thinks I need more practice before going any further. I looked into bike rental as a compromise and it’s £85 for 2 days at a weekend but having a quick browse online at cheap geared bikes you can HP/PCP a brand new 125CC for £60 a month on these 0% deals from some dealers which doesn’t help with what to do as there's minimal outlay compared with renting. I would PX when I pass anyway for something bigger.

Anyway, I’m just wondering if there’s a consensus on what’s best for a next step?

I’m quite happy to go and get myself a 125 and ride it to build up my confidence and smoothness but I don’t want to collect any bad habits. Can you do 1 on 1 lessons on a big bike with an instructor on just a CBT cert? (I'm 29)

Is it recommended that you get a 125 and ride it for a few months or should I just go for the DAS as soon as possible?

The eventual goal would be full A license and then get myself something a bit bigger. I’ve got money saved to do this but don’t want to waste it running a 125 if it’s not necessary likewise I dont want to book a DAS and fail. I'm also considering the weather might change soon and that might not be best as a learner just starting out.

I know this probably gets asked all the time and the answer is probably ‘up to you’ but I just need some advice!

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:50 - 19 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd do what the instructor recommends. The CBT is a rushed day and what you have to remember is it is basic. Did you get through the gears? Did it look like you were going to kill yourself in the road ride? Did the instructor think you were going to kill yourself on the road. Nope. Here have a DL196

In a nutshell.

Are you ready for a big bike. Probably not. I assess as I ride and will recommend a 125 for a minimum of 6 months for students that want to go on to DAS if I feel it would benefit them.

I terminated a guys DAS course once and told him he should spend a year on a 125cc bike rather than continuing to throw money at training days. A year later he came back, passed with a clean sheet both modules and told me it was the best advice he had ever had.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 08:07 - 19 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:

Are you ready for a big bike. Probably not. I assess as I ride and will recommend a 125 for a minimum of 6 months for students that want to go on to DAS if I feel it would benefit them.

Amazing, usually people have the ABSOLUTE answer but nail hit firmly on head above, someone who knows what they are doing can assess best approach, I was slow but steady learner on bike stuff, was also advised to get a 125 to practice on and took around 7 months to get through the whole process to final licence. Straight to DAS would probably have finished me off and wouldn't have got there.

Couple of other thoughts:
Rather than trade in a 125cc you can get more selling it, do a bit of research, get the right sort of bike at the right sort of age and you will barely loose out, look after it and do a bit of sprucing up a fettling you may even make a little.

Get a 125cc now and you can start the commuting now, and get experience, you already have a car for if the weather is really bad, I rode mine on most days right up to passing the test in December last year and rode my Bandit most days from January this year, climate change and all that.

I live near Bristol, have commuted to a client once to London, so only have experience riding London rush hours once. I would be happier on a 125 in the city and prefer it getting through Bristol as well, you may end up keeping it and having two bikes. A commute and going out for recreation/fun may be two different things.

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:19 - 19 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would advise getting a second hand 125. They hold Thier value and the experience is priceless. You can practice as often as you want and £85 for a weekend rent will soon add up.

If you ride like you are on a test you won't pick up bad habits. Just valuable practice. After a few months when you are confident you should then go for your full license.

The first lesson on a big bike will feel different for a short time but you will soon get used to it and personally I felt more comfortable and confident on a bigger bike.

Good luck whatever you chose.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:44 - 19 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

99% of staying safe on the road is all the other c*nts. 1% is down to your choice of bike (assuming it's roadworthy!)

Just get out there on whatever you can afford. Watch out for mini-cab drivers and don't undertake lorries Smile

ashleyman
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:23 - 29 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies.

I ended up taking a bike out last weekend and realised that I probably did need more time to get my skills up. I'm fine on the road with my Highway Code and actually knowing how to drive/ride and what the signs mean etc... It's more the controls and balancing I need time with and at £85 a weekend it seemed sensible to buy something and use it as much as possible to get my time in.

I ended up buying an MT125. Got it for what I think is a very good price (£500 less than the cheapest on AT and with fewer miles) so shouldn't loose too much if anything when trading in. MOT for the year, tax is £20 and insurance £500 so not too bad all in.

However between the CBT, theory test, buying all new bike gear + a bike and insuring it, I'm skint so it'll be a while before booking my DAS as I need a break from spending!

Here's the bike! Not the exact one I purchased but the same colours. I get it tomorrow!

https://i.imgur.com/GO4ZfHP.png

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 30 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

not bein funny luv but parkin yer bike like that in the middle of the roads really dangerous

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:29 - 30 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

S'ok, it's just a backdrop. Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:43 - 30 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a 125 for a bit is always a good option. Teaches you road presence, cornering speed, control in wind and around larger vehicles and allows you to make stupid mistakes that would be a lot more painful on a bigger bike.

It'll save you money on your commute if you use it instead of a car.

annemarie
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:37 - 10 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I think a 125 for a bit is always a good option. Teaches you road presence, cornering speed, control in wind and around larger vehicles and allows you to make stupid mistakes that would be a lot more painful on a bigger bike.

It'll save you money on your commute if you use it instead of a car.

100%

Cornering speed and positioning in the lane when cornering/turning -countersteering changed my life when I discovered it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 193 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1