Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Removing pcv valve, add crankcrase breather filter advice

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 08:34 - 19 Sep 2019    Post subject: Removing pcv valve, add crankcrase breather filter advice Reply with quote

OK this is check I understand what is going on, disclaimer I bought a cheap second hand Chinese derived EC3 GN125 clone, runs, runs better after self servicing, adjustments and few replacements etc.

Used for local commutes and going out with my wife on her 125cc scooter and my son on his 125 (going out with 125 on a much bigger bike is painful).

Also use to experiment and learn a bit more about bikes beyond simple servicing.

I bought a cheap as chips mini crankcase filter, added this to the end of the crankcase breather pipe. Dismounted the PCV valve, plugged the airbox breather pipe inlets and inlet manifold. Made plugs and kept all the bit to make make it easy to reverse.

Result is looks cleaner, more space, and moved the horn back on to the previous valve mounting, subjective I know but looks nicer. Louder getting a nice low "phut phut phut" additional sound at lower revs through the breather. Had to adjust the idle slightly. Performance feels a bit more sprightly (marginal), I have a local test loop and I know what sort of speeds I can get (includes steep hill etc.) and where, doesn't go any faster but gets there slightly earlier.

What have I lost if anything? I can't see any benefit to the engine of getting crank case gas coming into the inlet manifold, or to the air box receiving it at higher revs and load. PCV seems to have evolved mostly as an emission thing. Which lead to second question: will this cause any issues with MOT?

Really just trying things out, going to experiment with a cone filter at some point but will have a new carb to adjust and swap out for that, parts are really cheap with these things.

Edit: Yes before it is mentioned, I know the cone filter thing is pointless but I want to play with a carb and see what if any changes I can make

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:36 - 19 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What have you lost? Money.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:56 - 19 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emissions delete? On that sort of bike the performance gains are barely noticeable but I concede the bike might look a little neater. But I hope you understand that many asthmatic kittens will die Shocked

If you must enter into the pod filter stupidity then bear in mind it'll make little odds to performance unless you couple it with a free-flowing exhaust and a pathologically stupid amount of time replacing carb jets.... to get what? 10% more power maybe?

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:33 - 19 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
What have you lost? Money.

That will be about a fiver then Very Happy

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:58 - 19 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Emissions delete? On that sort of bike the performance gains are barely noticeable but I concede the bike might look a little neater. But I hope you understand that many asthmatic kittens will die Shocked

If you must enter into the pod filter stupidity then bear in mind it'll make little odds to performance unless you couple it with a free-flowing exhaust and a pathologically stupid amount of time replacing carb jets.... to get what? 10% more power maybe?

Absolutely agree with all of the above.... the entire point of the exercise will be an attempt to make 5 to 10% performance gain if possible and see if it looks better (imho).

The bike is a running project, something to chase my wife around on her scooter and then to teach her gears on (plan is to get her licence, long term plan we go touring together). I aim to take things apart, put them back together etc. and learn more about bikes. I would do more with my bandit but apart from basic servicing it is running too well and I would rather not bugger it up. This bike will be moted in a few months and I will get a mechanic to look over it before putting partner on it.

Got my first tyre arriving shortly, will be my first motorcycle tyre change
(I don't count my mobylette which is more like a bicycle). I can get a new carb to play with for 20 quid, and I have the little mobylette 2 stroker carb to strip and clean. You can only learn so much from youtube and books.

The first electric stringed instrument I made was a from an 8 quid Chinese pickup, a bit of curtain pole, an old guitar string and some bits of ikea bracket things I had left over, since then made a proper cigar box guitar, better diddley bows (started learning to carve wood to make them better) and decent practice amps out of vintage radios (started with a trashed one with working amp circuit, moved on to be able to preserve the working radio part).... trashed some cheap stuff, made a couple of shit things along the way. Strikes me cheap Chinese parts and bikes offer a perfect opportunity to do similar.

Was hesitant to start posting about it and asking questions as I can imagine the derision but then thought what the fuck.

Edit: in 10 years time when I have rebuilt a lovely classic from a pile of shite "found in the a barn" ......

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:41 - 19 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough, you're going into it with eyes open and without unrealistic expectations, best of luck Thumbs Up

The basic point of crank case breathers, exhaust recycling and the like is to minimise the amount of hydrocarbons dumped into the atmosphere. This is more pronounced on carb-based engines that take a "middle of the road" approach to fuelling compared to the (hopefully) more precise nature of EFI.

And that's the beauty of motorbikes: at least when you're confronted by an mob of angry vegan tree-huggers you can make a quick getaway!

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:03 - 20 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fairly cheap speed enhancement that many people forget is to spray the bike (not tyres!) with carpet tile adhesive and smooth it over with aluminium foil from the kitchen.
The very look of a shiny aluminium coating will convince you that it's going faster.

Umm with that breather filter/delete. I could argue that you've made the bike go slower. Why? Well those crank fumes complete with hydrocarbons were going through the engine and burning off. They were actually extra fuel for the engine.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:58 - 20 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Umm with that breather filter/delete. I could argue that you've made the bike go slower. Why? Well those crank fumes complete with hydrocarbons were going through the engine and burning off. They were actually extra fuel for the engine.

Hmmm.... what do the fumes consist of? Mostly oil? In my experience the stuff has a tendency to condense on its way back to the cylinder and appear as a build up of sludge, mostly in your airbox Sad

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 20 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Sister Sledge wrote:

Hmmm.... what do the fumes consist of? Mostly oil? In my experience the stuff has a tendency to condense on its way back to the cylinder and appear as a build up of sludge, mostly in your airbox Sad

I knew someone would say that!
OK then those oil fumes were giving the piston extra lubrication. Now there's a very slight increase in friction and therefore the bikes slower?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 218 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1