Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Heated Gloves/Jacket Liners?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 24 Sep 2019    Post subject: Heated Gloves/Jacket Liners? Reply with quote

Which ones are any good? Even with 20% discount it is hard to justify the excessive cost. I have doubts they are any better than what I had. Reviews say that Gerbing gear does not have much heat. A* Celcius gloves appear the cheapest.

Last year I managed quite well with some modified parts from china -usb heat pads sewn into jacket, however the zip is gone and jacket needs to be replaced - or id be happy to keep it.

Gloves - Spada enforcers with usb glove liners. Id prefer less bulk and more heat ( to make up for less insulation)/ feel than this gave me. It was perfectly warm tho. My other gloves are too tight for liners.

Its not cold enough to need them yet but I am replacing my jacket. It seems no decent jackets are designed with heating built in, so new jacket is ordered and I will need a liner. I will be riding in whatever weather we get, last year some days were -12c.

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 24 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got some Gerbing heated gloves... The cable that runs down the right sleeve could be longer, but they are amazing!

So much better than heated grips!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:12 - 26 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using the Gerbing XR12 gloves for a couple of winters now, absolute game changer. Got sick of getting to work with frozen thumbs and toasty palms and muffs are just not for me so dropped the cash and never looked back. Had a wiring issue that Gerbing sorted promptly without any fuss about a year ago.

I will say, they are bulky as fuck, but you do get used to it and the trade off is well worth it. I've ridden as low as -8C on my commute and barely even noticed it because my hands were nice and toasty warm.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:14 - 26 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do they compare to spada enforcers for bulkyness?

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:57 - 26 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough I've had a pair of Spada Enforcers too (I hated them) and yeah, probably about the same I'd say. The batteries take up a lot of bulk but they're tucked up in the cuff so you don't notice when you're riding. Or you can run them off the bike with a cable if you prefer that way but I'm not a fan of being 'leashed' to the bike.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:53 - 29 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was cold enough that I wanted the gloves today - unheated spada enforcers not good enough.

A*'s, RST, or gerbing? Suspect the gerbing controller wont last as long and be difficult to fix or replace.
Reviews sound like gerbings take minutes to warm up. I wont be happy with that, I want the instant warmth that chinese ones gave.

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:24 - 29 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also been using the Gerbing XR12's for several years now. Early versions (pre 2014 ish) kept dying (both in gloves and controller), but Gerbing always honoured their lifetime warranty on electrical gubbins, and always with a fast turnaround of a couple of days - which is what you want when they die in the middle of a freezing January and you commute every day. However, I'm now about to dig out the last iteration for their 5th winter, seems like they've nailed the reliability issues.

I always wired them in as per ADSrox0r, but I recently picked up some batteries for them in a sale on their site. They don't get as hot on battery, batteries last approx 2 hours and do make them a bit bulkier - but still manageable. Just used them on a hire bike in California going over Yosemite's Tiago Pass and round Lake Tahoe - dead handy on the cold mornings.

I did bust a controller in a slide, but never hand any hassle getting replacements (gloves held up fine with minor scuff). I see they've got a new range out now, so not sure if they'll now phase out the older controllers etc (and hence why I got batteries cheaper) - but then the range had been available for the last 7 years odd...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 29 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered the XRL12's. Made use of the 15% discount, but 150 quid is still a lot for a pair of gloves. They appear to be in Kent, not too far for an angry rant if they break Laughing

Assume the battery cable is just a 2-contact DC connector. If someone can let me know the pocket size Ill find some suitable lipo/life4po cells. Gerbing make upto 3Ah? but there is no way three x 3Ah cells are fitting on the back of each glove. I think two cells 1500mAh or 3 cell 1000mAh would be pushing the size limit.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-11-1V-1000mAh-3S-25C-Lipo-RC-Battery-JST-Plug-for-RC-Helicopter-Airplane-B-EL/323445514034

lipo/life4po cells are quite cheap, so OE ones are massively over priced.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:07 - 01 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted the Gerbings but had a voucher for J&S from some Richa Cold Protect which I returned, so got the Keis G501.

They are colder than my £15 Akito winter gloves which I got from ebay.
Heat wise, well, it IS a game changer, however, it feels like they "burn" the back of the hand and thumb, while the fingers still get cold because: the elements don't go there; the gloves are thinner than the average winter glove. However, due to the heat in the back of the hand, they do not get frozen.

I have yet to test it in cold cold as it's been mild lately. Also, one of them didn't work out the box so waiting for a replacement as out of stock...been riding with one of each lol.

Reason I returned the Richa was, as waterproof as they were, they get soggy af, and then your hands freeze anyway from the cold air, so no better than my £15 gloves.

TBH I regret investing the money...Could have bought other things instead.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 01 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWhiteBaron wrote:
it feels like they "burn" the back of the hand

Interesting. I bought some Keis heated inner gloves 10 years or so ago and they did the same thing, making them unuseable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 01 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerbings are utter shit and being returned. They look like they were sewn by a 5 year old and have a large wart of extra material on the left thumb. They are bulky as fuck, like wearing a normal winter glove inside oven mitts. 3x more bulky than Enforcers. They have excessive heat around the knuckles, the fingers are patchy, but with no heat for the tip on any finger. On full heat, they are quite a bit less hot than the chinese carbon inserts.

I tried on Keis liners in J&S, very bulky for liners. I didnt try them turned on.

Its likely I will open up the spada enforcers, put heated insert inside and sew it back up with kevlar thread. I dont have much time, so I will try to prototype this and then get someone local to finish it.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:32 - 03 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of other brands, e.g. Racer and Five. Anyone tried them?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:18 - 03 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do always query why people run other gloves when muffs are £30 and water and wind proof. I rode in -10s with no gloves... Neutral

Just a genuine query...

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:37 - 03 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

With some bikes the muffs clutter up the view in the mirrors. And wireless heated gloves can be useful for other outdoor winter activities e.g. skiiing.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 03 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
J&S

Try the RST Paragon Heated 2260 when you next visit.

The only real bulk is in the cuff where the battery goes, and that's only because its designed to have the jacket put inside (regardless) and then you pull the string over it. There's storm flap related material all around the cuff. I can't tell the battery is there when riding.

Not sure how it would stand up to high speeds, many miles etc as it all depends on wind exposure / bike; and yes it only heats the back of the hands from what I can tell so would need heated grips too.

I'll ride with them until too cold and then switch back to muffs and the Rukka gloves.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muffs are ok with summer gloves, if you get a pair that can handle high speeds, but even so, dislike removing throttle hand for fear of not being able to get it back in quick enough. Winter gloves dont fit - I cant get my hands back in repeatedly with the enforcers.

Anyway, heated fingers feels great. Id chose that every time over any other option.

I tried the RTS's unpowered in shop. As a glove, much better than the gerbing. Ill try again if I go back.

Have a spool of 2228R/m resistance wire Im prototyping with. Divided hand up into 3 sections, each gets 17 strands of 40cm length.sewn to cotton with a thin coating of (wax/sillicon sealant - undecided). Should be very durable and easy to position around the tips.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:34 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

Have a spool of 2228R/m resistance wire Im prototyping with. Divided hand up into 3 sections, each gets 17 strands of 40cm length.sewn to cotton with a thin coating of (wax/sillicon sealant - undecided). Should be very durable and easy to position around the tips.

A friend of mine made his own heated grips and cocked up the maths. Handlebars caught fire and he'd burned both hands by the time he managed to stop and put his gloves out.

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:04 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got Spada Enforcers and Gerbings and I can confirm they're pretty similar in terms of bulkiness. It's quite cool the effect of turning the gloves off accidentally mid commute, you feel the cold pierce through almost instantly.

I still prefer thick gloves + Barkbuster blizzards and heated grips though due to the wiring faff of the gloves

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:49 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Gerbings are utter shit and being returned. They look like they were sewn by a 5 year old and have a large wart of extra material on the left thumb. They are bulky as fuck, like wearing a normal winter glove inside oven mitts. 3x more bulky than Enforcers. They have excessive heat around the knuckles, the fingers are patchy, but with no heat for the tip on any finger. On full heat, they are quite a bit less hot than the chinese carbon inserts.

I tried on Keis liners in J&S, very bulky for liners. I didnt try them turned on.

Its likely I will open up the spada enforcers, put heated insert inside and sew it back up with kevlar thread. I dont have much time, so I will try to prototype this and then get someone local to finish it.

Weird, although the Gerbings are bulky on the outside, the palms seem to compress quite easily and never stopped me from operating the controls.

I find them warm and totally waterproof, and this morning my hands were fine on the 'Medium' setting using the battery packs. I find this is the most convenient thing, so I can use them on any bike, even loan bikes, very easily.

Anyway, as you were. Thumbs Up

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:10 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
I tried the RTS's unpowered in shop. As a glove, much better than the gerbing. Ill try again if I go back.

Just to expand on the above, and in the event you do:

Gloves will heat up ok in the shop due to warm ambient temps but will feel different on the bike due to wind chill / handguards etc. I found them too big to fit inside my Oxford muffs also if that's your plan/combination.

In terms of actual warmth their better than nothing but I've never taken them off 100% (full red: 3 modes). Usually do that and about 70% on the grips from the get go at the moment. Hands aren't burning but their also not cold. Depends on commute distance, speeds etc.

The velcro strap comes out of place often so putting a small cable tie gently around the end may stop it from being able to get through its plastic loop. Attempting to get the velcro back into place isn't a fiddle at the moment but may be a pain when hands are numb as it gets colder outside.

Not sure how W/P the cuff design would be, and is my main worry. Time will tell.

Be sure before you buy as J&S, locally, have a habit of being a pain in the arse when things go wrong. Sports bike shop less so. Thumbs Up

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:41 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Muffs are ok with summer gloves, if you get a pair that can handle high speeds

My tucanos were OK at 150. My Oxfords were not, at 70.

I don't routinely take my hand of the throttle... I like to maintain speed.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
kramdra wrote:

A friend of mine made his own heated grips and cocked up the maths. Handlebars caught fire and he'd burned both hands by the time he managed to stop and put his gloves out.

The maths are simple. That gives 0.24watts per strand covering two fingers, to be well distributed, and totaling about 2 watts per finger. The design will be tested and validated before it goes near a bike,with heating distribution biased to the tips. I have a simple switch fitted to the bike, so thats no issue if there were a problem.

If anyone interested, this is what got me through last winter. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-24W-12V-Warm-Winter-Carbon-Fiber-Motorbike-Heated-Gloves-Gloves-Universal/401652911506 They beat Gerbings for heat, and the finger is long enough to fold around the tip. Let down by durability, after a month or so, started to get hot spots where the carbon resistance increased.

They have evolved to wire version which I imagine would be much improved and better than the gerbing - if only it were constructed into a decent glove. Ive bougt similar heated pads, the design is good, wire is fine, durable and sewn onto cloth. The controller is essentially identical to the gerbing (tiny pwm circuit with 3 modes). https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2Pc-7-4V-Electric-Heated-Gloves-DIY-Motorcycle-Winter-Outdoor-Finger-Hand/233367654433

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:03 - 10 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried RST paragon's again, this time with fully charged batteries. Better than the gerbing (less heat but better positioned), but still dissapoint. That leaves Keis, or alpine starts celcius, which noone appears to stock. They are far cheaper, so probably best

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:30 - 10 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered a pair of Dane Fyre. £299. Moto65 has a deal on them - free bike wiring. They don't look very bulky. And I'm hoping that the Danes are good at this sort of thing,

https://www.dane.eu/en/product/51419
https://moto65.co.uk/collections/dane/products/dane-fyre-gore-tex-hybrid-heated-gloves

https://i.imgur.com/TxNFG5g.jpg

wilbur
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:46 - 11 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how you get on with them please....Ta
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 161 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2