Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How would you vote in a general election tomorrow?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 26, 27, 28  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Which party gets your vote?
Labour
15%
 15%  [ 17 ]
Conservatives
32%
 32%  [ 36 ]
Liberal Democrats
13%
 13%  [ 15 ]
Brexit Party
27%
 27%  [ 31 ]
SNP
5%
 5%  [ 6 ]
Green
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Change
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Plaid Cymru
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
DUP
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Independent
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 111

Lord Percy This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:28 - 26 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

Don't be silly, he despises EVERYONE, the poor lonely bitter irrelevant old man that he is.

I though that was my role on here Laughing Laughing Laughing

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:33 - 26 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
So people vote in TBP, they get 100 seats, help Brexit through and then what? These sub standard politicians get to sit for the whole term, governing our health/education/defence?

You should reafd "The Return of Reginald Perrin" (might have to read the previous book first).

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:46 - 26 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, in essence, "better the devil you know" that worked out really well for Clinton - a business man with (clearly) no political experience laughing all the way to the bank White House.

Amusing how Trump is playing the Left like a fiddle over the Biden/Ukraine affair at the moment Smile

When it comes to experience of actually running the country? Thinking

That's just the Tories. The Lib-Dems from the coalition days all got culled. Labour might be waiting outside the brewery with the keys but they've quite forgotten the ABV of the beer inside.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:44 - 26 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

I'm assuming that if TBP were elected into power, they would fast track Brexit and then call for a General Election.

So the idea with TBP is to push through Bexit in the same manner as Johnson and then they do a Cameron and leave the 'experienced' politicians to clean up after them?

I should have thought that if TBP have the clout to carry out Brexit, one would like to assume in a manner acceptable to all (but we all know that will not be the case), then they should have the mettle to stand for five years to get the country back on an even keel.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 26 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your argument is like saying Joe Public would make better politicians because we all tell the truth, are able to listen to constituents, field the bullshit and not be influenced by our own self interest.

1. Everybody's truth is different so to somebody we would always be lying.

2. Very few people have the patience to listen to others whining for more than a few minutes, never mind 5 years.

3. None of us really know enough about the 'bigger picture' to be able to discern what is bullshit and what isn't, despite what we read on the internet.

4. We are all influenced by our own self interest.

Also, you are assuming that Farage's filtering system for candidates is as sophisticated as the more established parties and that we won't simply end up with a succession of Brexit Party MPs getting exposed for historic wrong-doings and a series of destabilising expulsions/bye-elections as a result.

To think that a bunch of people with no experience and worst of all, no effective support mechanism (admittedly plus Ann Widdecombe...) can magically run Government departments, negotiate trade deals with superpowers, decide how much land we should be allocated in the long term for housing, steer multi-billion pound capital projects etc is a tad far fetched., even for you Shocked Shocked Shocked

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:25 - 26 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a tricky one.

Which lesser evil do I choose.
Which self-serving scumbag.

Do I go tactical or (was going to say abstain) vote for say The Greens.

I did vote to stay in Europe but don't want democracy to be ignored.

However, people voted on something without knowing any of the ramifications. Many voted just to get the immigrants out which if you look at the NHS for example would cause big trouble, as it does for seasonal farm workers. Some people didn't know that the immigrants who worked also paid tax just like the indigenous (if there is such a thing as indigenous I suspect most on here have a family history with 'foreign' blood in it.
None of the parties can work together for the good, they're interested in putting each other down.

What I don't want is extremism either left or right and at the moment we have an unelected PM with a hard left opposition leader. Neither of which have support from their members.
The conservatives booted out some half decent MPs. Labour haven't faired much better.

The electorate may not bother to turn out and I don't blame them.

The worry is the echo-chambers are getting bigger and that could lead us to somebody like a hard right getting in.

Diversity has always made is better and that means having people in with views that may differ from me.
No good if I surround myself with head nodders.

Back to the immigration thing; It was too many too quickly. No time for people to get used to and understand and use their empathy. Hence the knee-jerk reaction.

Being in a bubble is asking for trouble.

Peace and Love and cake. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:50 - 26 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
It's a tricky one.

However, ....the wrong votes don't count...

FTFY. Thumbs Up

Diggs, you seem to think that professional politicians have some special insight, some unique ability that the mere plebs who work for a living don't have.
In my experience, you couldn't be more wrong.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 26 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can make out, the Brexit Party's policies are thus:

The Brexit Party movement wants to bring Political Reform to the UK which include:-​
Changing the electoral system to ensure Parliament is more representative of the people.
Challenging the power of the unelected House of Lords.
Cleaning up the easily abused system of postal votes on demand.
Making the civil service serve the public.
Reforming the BBC TV licence fee.​

We also feel it’s time to invest in the following:-
Save the 39 billion ransom demanded by the EU; that’s our money to invest as we see fit.
Scrap the multi-billion pounds HS2 vanity project.
Reduce and redirect the foreign aid budget.​

We can give Britain an extra £200 billion to:-​
Invest in growth in our regions.
Rebuild the transport system outside London.
Invest in faster, cheaper broadband for everybody.
Ensure there is free wi-fi on every train and bus outside London.
Take control of our fishing waters and revive coastal communities.
Remove business rates for new high street businesses outside London.
Cancel the interest on student loans.​

This is a list of 'nice' things designed to attract non-London votes, old folk who watch Countdown and students, rather than the nitty-gritty. It doesn't mention how the other 800 billion p.a. we currently spent on services, defence etc will be allocated. Are we to assume that the status quo will be maintained in all other areas?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:57 - 26 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

4. We are all influenced by our own self interest.

I'm not. I've pretty much written myself off, and don't expect anyone else to make life better for me. Whoever is in power, that job is mine, and mine alone.
But country is pretty much all I have left, and I'm damned if I'll give that away easily. I genuinely believe that Britain has a brighter future outside of the EU rather than in it. I believe all European countries do. I'm certainly not for completely abandoning close ties with our continental cousins, I just don't like this EU institution that a few privileged globalists are trying to forge. I believe it will continue to promote division and heartache for as long as it exists.

@Lord Percy. How much of normal day-to-day procedure and politics has Parliament achieved since the referendum? Nothing. That's why people will vote purely on the Brexit issue. If you can't see beyond four years of government, then you I think you need to consider more carefully. This is why I think many young people want to remain in - it's "me, me, now, now!" They'll live to regret that approach.

After Brexit, or after a revocation of A50, it will need at least that before Parliament is reforged to truly represent the people - many we see sitting on the green benches on all sides will be gone forever, I sincerely hope. But if we revoke A50, we will never be truly able to achieve this, as the EU will have a say over whatever we do, and the self-interested lot will grow in power. And we will have no method of getting rid of them.

Actually, this doesn't really worry me because the EU's days are numbered, whatever happens with Brexit.

But Brexit has to be the only issue this time around, because government is dead until this is resolved.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:59 - 26 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Monty Brewster on this one. None of the leaderss seem to have conducted themselves with any kind of dignity.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 26 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
Howling Terror wrote:
It's a tricky one.

However, ....the wrong votes don't count...

FTFY. Thumbs Up

Diggs, you seem to think that professional politicians have some special insight, some unique ability that the mere plebs who work for a living don't have.
In my experience, you couldn't be more wrong.

As individuals, no, until they have been at it for a few years, but what the main Parties do have is knowledge of our system, what has to be spent where to keep us going, knowledge of negotiations that have taken place in the past, knowledge of ongoing negotiations and the historic perspective to (hopefully) not repeat old mistakes.

Being a pleb myself, I am aware that I couldn't simply enter Parliament and function effectively without support.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 26 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
....Back to the immigration thing; It was too many too quickly. No time for people to get used to and understand and use their empathy. Hence the knee-jerk reaction....

I listened to a very interesting podcast last week that talked about the problems that multiculturalism and mass immigration have created over the last 40 years.
It's crux was that immigrants have been welcomed into the country and told that they do not have to integrate with British values and that they cannot be criticised.
Consequently we now have generations of immigrants who are living with values that directly contradict traditional British values.
There is no getting used to it or understanding or empathy period, many of these immigrants have no interest in integrating and they've been told that they don't have to and we're pretty much at the point where their choices will be protected above those of the natives.
It was an interesting discussion and raised several perspectives I'd never considered before.

Consequently, I don't think Brexit is a knee jerk reaction and I think viewing it as such completely misses the deep seated feeling many have in this country that society is regressing and that there needs to be greater accountability at a local level, not ambivalence at a global level.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 26 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
As individuals, no, until they have been at it for a few years, but what the main Parties do have is knowledge of our system, what has to be spent where to keep us going, knowledge of negotiations that have taken place in the past, knowledge of ongoing negotiations and the historic perspective to (hopefully) not repeat old mistakes.

Being a pleb myself, I am aware that I couldn't simply enter Parliament and function effectively without support.

Civil servants.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:34 - 26 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

To think that a bunch of people with no experience and worst of all, no effective support mechanism (admittedly plus Ann Widdecombe...) can magically run Government departments, negotiate trade deals with superpowers, decide how much land we should be allocated in the long term for housing, steer multi-billion pound capital projects etc is a tad far fetched., even for you Shocked Shocked Shocked

The effective support system is the Civil Service, together with the diplomatic service.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:41 - 26 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:

I listened to a very interesting podcast last week that talked about the problems that multiculturalism and mass immigration have created over the last 40 years.
It's crux was that immigrants have been welcomed into the country and told that they do not have to integrate with British values and that they cannot be criticised.
Consequently we now have generations of immigrants who are living with values that directly contradict traditional British values.
There is no getting used to it or understanding or empathy period, many of these immigrants have no interest in integrating and they've been told that they don't have to and we're pretty much at the point where their choices will be protected above those of the natives.
It was an interesting discussion and raised several perspectives I'd never considered before.

Consequently, I don't think Brexit is a knee jerk reaction and I think viewing it as such completely misses the deep seated feeling many have in this country that society is regressing and that there needs to be greater accountability at a local level, not ambivalence at a global level.

Douglas Murray?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:53 - 26 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
people voted on something without knowing any of the ramifications

Some, perhaps, didn't read their government's "referendum leaflet", which referred to information indicating higher prices, job losses, reduced GDP, a lower £, lower wages and other problems all being probable, and which was delivered to every household in the UK.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 26 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Was in also also produced
in Punjabi and Urdu though?

Maybe they were only trying to put project fear into the "Gammons".

Judging by that you aught to try urdu

Cause that aint english.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 206 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 2 of 28