Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How would you vote in a general election tomorrow?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 26, 27, 28  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Which party gets your vote?
Labour
15%
 15%  [ 17 ]
Conservatives
32%
 32%  [ 36 ]
Liberal Democrats
13%
 13%  [ 15 ]
Brexit Party
27%
 27%  [ 31 ]
SNP
5%
 5%  [ 6 ]
Green
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Change
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Plaid Cymru
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
DUP
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Independent
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 111

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:06 - 28 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Not that hasn't already. The ones left are voting on principle but while turning a blind eye to the policies. I spoke to one of the Labour campaigners yesterday and she seemed to be one of the anti-austerity types which is fine in principle but she was pretty short on alternatives. Obviously she gave what I call the "trident falacy" that you can finance all of your spending pledges by scrapping stuff you don't like such as Trident and tax breaks for rich people. It's a bit like if I was to say I'm going to rebuild Britain's military to WW2 levels, and then said I'll finance it by abolishing foreign aid, ok but where's the other 370 billion coming from.

The "I hate Tories" lot are quite funny too. Grrr fvck the rich Tories, I'm voting for Keir Starmer [closet Tory].

Austerity creates a debt as much as spending. It deferes investment and leads to deferred costs due to the lack of maintenence spending. Its what I think is called Technical Debt. Ten years of letting the country go to pot is as costly as borrowing to spend but without any benefit of creating growth.

Austerity is about reducing public sector spending so that the private sector can invest more and make the economy grow faster. The public sector does not generally produce a profit. There has been little growth not as a result of austerity but because the UK, and Europe generally, has been in an economic depression, you might well call it the great lost decade.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:28 - 28 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austerity is also about selling off the family silver, as Local Authorities have been forced to sell assets such as building stock in order to maintain certain services which they are obliged to by law.

It is funny that Gordon Brown was heavily criticised for selling off the family gold, yet the Tories aren't criticised for selling off the silver....
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 28 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a good comparison because the Tories have stripped any fiscal resilience from Local Authorities. The impact of this upon ordinary people's lives is a reduction in public services, which impacts pensioners lives directly.

Like in the case of Gordon Brown, this was done when it wasn't absolutely necessary so nothing is left to raise money when we really need it....

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 28 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Austerity is also about selling off the family silver, as Local Authorities have been forced to sell assets such as building stock in order to maintain certain services which they are obliged to by law.

It is funny that Gordon Brown was heavily criticised for selling off the family gold, yet the Tories aren't criticised for selling off the silver....

Most public sector workers are in it for themselves and just want to line their own pockets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:23 - 28 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Most public sector workers are in it for themselves and just want to line their own pockets.

That's old-school public sector... Most of the old-school have gone now and there is no slack in most areas of public service.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:39 - 28 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I don't think you can say there is a working class anymore. Not a working class like when I was a kid. People who had to micro manage their money day to day just to get by. No meat on a Wednesday type existence. Dad handing the weekly pay packet to Mum so she could budget for the household.

Now even the poorest still have their i phones ans sky TV. Every house in our cul-de-sac has a sky dish and half of them are still council houses with people on benefits.

What is there now? poor, reasonably well off or stinking rich? I'm not even sure there is that much of a poor group anymore especially compared with people a generation or two ago.

What point am I making? Maybe that people don't vote because of their upbringing anymore but because of their aspirations.

Its one thing signing up for Sky its another thing paying for it.
The reason poorer people buy into this consumerist crap is there is such a stigma around poverty. Ive had so many clients over the years who make stupid financial choices all to keep up appearances. Buy a big TV on tick then have no cash for the electricity. Its sad when I have to explain to someone they are genuinely poor, that they just cannot have all this stuff they see other people have, most of which is also funded by borrowed money.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:58 - 28 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

That's old-school public sector... Most of the old-school have gone now and there is no slack in most areas of public service.

Apart from social workers. That bunch are for the most part money obsessed s#ites. Unlike the "old school" ones whos generation are largely retiring. I have reak disdain for SWs, everyrime I meet student ones on placement all they do is go on about how much their going to be paid when they qualify.

Local authorities outsource massively these days. This has its own problem as cimpetative tendering has been a race to the bittom and there's a constant and ultimately costly turnover of contractung companies. LAs then end up dependant on whatever cheapskate dodgy companies and organisations are left. This then leaves the public with the mess left behind, which is exactly why putting things back to right is going to be so costly. The process was going on before the 2008 crash as well.

We've really lost sight of why local authorities were created in the first place. We would be better taking more notice of them and be more engaged in local polirics than the grandstanding of centrak government if we want life to improve.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:56 - 28 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

Its one thing signing up for Sky its another thing paying for it.
The reason poorer people buy into this consumerist crap is there is such a stigma around poverty. Ive had so many clients over the years who make stupid financial choices all to keep up appearances. Buy a big TV on tick then have no cash for the electricity. Its sad when I have to explain to someone they are genuinely poor, that they just cannot have all this stuff they see other people have, most of which is also funded by borrowed money.

Oh come on. I have to ask if that is the case is that why Universal credit isn't working, (some of) the people who get it are too stupid to know that they have to pay for rent, electric and food out of it and think it's 'pocket money' Rolling Eyes .

If there are people are that stupid, and I'm sure you are correct and they are, they should be given food stamps and electric tokens, not money.

It's not degrading, they have proved they are not fit to handle (someone elses) money by buying a large TV on the tick and then expecting someone else to bail them out of trouble again.

\oh, and they shouldn't be allowed to vote or procreate but that's another issue. Wink

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:49 - 28 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Oh come on. I have to ask if that is the case is that why Universal credit isn't working, (some of) the people who get it are too stupid to know that they have to pay for rent, electric and food out of it and think it's 'pocket money' Rolling Eyes .

If there are people are that stupid, and I'm sure you are correct and they are, they should be given food stamps and electric tokens, not money.

It's not degrading, they have proved they are not fit to handle (someone elses) money by buying a large TV on the tick and then expecting someone else to bail them out of trouble again.

\oh, and they shouldn't be allowed to vote or procreate but that's another issue. Wink

Forty years of running our primary and secondary education system into the ground has had a major effect on peoples basic capacity. The increase in the xonsumer economy reliant on consumer credit also. You also have to factor in herd mentality and how its encouraged people to move in a cultural direction that's not actually in indivuduals long term benefit.
Its sad but simply indulging in disdain (as lovely a warm feeling of superiority as that gives you) is not a solution.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:42 - 28 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, serious question now: why is the vote of some numpty with a sub-70s IQ and velcro on his trainers just as valuable as anyone else's?

Clearly the value of said numpty is low with regards other metrics e.g. work and pay. Or, if you want to dispense with capitalism, of low utility compared to someone capable of training as a doctor or engineer. But when it comes to political opinion he has been bestowed rights Evil or Very Mad

Personally I don't think you should be entitled to a vote until you've proved you have the responsibility and enough investment in society to have any say in how it is run (i.e. a meritocracy.)

Failing that, how about some sort of weighted proportional representation:

No job? You get a vote.
Job but claim benefits too? You get a vote + a 2nd preference vote
Job and not a burden to society? You get a vote + 2nd and 3rd preference... etc.

Don't ask me for an detail but the outcome should be less weight for those who are gratified by the mark on the voting paper coincidentally matching their own signature Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:05 - 28 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

Its sad but simply indulging in disdain (as lovely a warm feeling of superiority as that gives you) is not a solution.

Please don't try to pass the guilt trip on me, it doesn't work. I don't give a flying fcuk how the knife crime by blacks is because of us boomers or benefit claimers will feel butt hurt if they they don't get 'their' money to spend on booze and fags. It's all an abdication of personal responsibility.

These people are idiots who we (tax payers) are all supporting. They have proved they are not fit to handle their own finances so if they are on the dole/benefits they should get food stamps and electric tokens. What's wrong with that?

Personal responsibility is a dirty word.

Note I am not talking about all benefit claimants, just the one who have proved they haven't got two brain cells to rub together and need help.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:45 - 28 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Note I am not talking about all benefit claimants, just the one who have proved they haven't got two brain cells to rub together and need help.

But.. but... everyone will know that they're irresponsible 'cos they pay for their shopping with food stamps! They'll feel stigmatised and don't forget feelings > all Wink

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:02 - 28 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
But.. but...

https://i.imgur.com/EKNsLjj.png

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:07 - 28 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Please don't try to pass the guilt trip on me, it doesn't work. I don't give a flying fcuk how the knife crime by blacks is because of us boomers or benefit claimers will feel butt hurt if they they don't get 'their' money to spend on booze and fags. It's all an abdication of personal responsibility.

These people are idiots who we (tax payers) are all supporting. They have proved they are not fit to handle their own finances so if they are on the dole/benefits they should get food stamps and electric tokens. What's wrong with that?

Personal responsibility is a dirty word.

It's not about passing on guilt, its about having some understanding that people's situations are more complex than just reducing their lives to some cartoon image that suits your needs.

What makes you think im talking about benefit claiments? Ive supported people in all sorts of situations. And what proportion of people are you supposing are on benedits but which fall below your imagined threshold of worthiness to have the vote and be allowed to use the same currency as everyone else?

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:30 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any assessment of ability to vote would be carried out by left leaning [like to the point they're almost falling over] public sector feminist bureaucrats. They will just say all old people and anyone who might vote Tory or UKIP can't vote.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:30 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

It's not about passing on guilt, its about having some understanding that people's situations are more complex than just reducing their lives to some cartoon image that suits your needs.

What makes you think im talking about benefit claiments? Ive supported people in all sorts of situations. And what proportion of people are you supposing are on benedits but which fall below your imagined threshold of worthiness to have the vote and be allowed to use the same currency as everyone else?

I said nothing about the vote and I'm talking about benefit claimants.

which fall below your imagined threshold of worthiness to have the vote and be allowed to use the same currency as everyone else?

If you have a person that is incapable of running their life, you have a carer for them or you have them put in a situation where others can look after them. No one says this is demeaning. However if you have someone who patently can't manage the money they get from the state to live on, it's perceived as demeaning to put in place a system which will make sure they have food on the table and a roof over their head without just throwing more (of someone else's) money at them.

As far as the threshold, once they have proved they can't look after themselves with their benefit money and are coming back for extra bailouts then that should be the cut off point. The benefits system is a safety net. Nothing more. If they have too much pride to take food stamps AFTER proving they can't manage their benefits by spending on unnecessary items like previously mentioned high end TV then go find another way to fund their lifestyle.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 02:16 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

If you have a person that is incapable of running their life, you have a carer for them or you have them put in a situation where others can look after them. No one says this is demeaning. However if you have someone who patently can't manage the money they get from the state to live on, it's perceived as demeaning to put in place a system which will make sure they have food on the table and a roof over their head without just throwing more (of someone else's) money at them.

As far as the threshold, once they have proved they can't look after themselves with their benefit money and are coming back for extra bailouts then that should be the cut off point. The benefits system is a safety net. Nothing more. If they have too much pride to take food stamps AFTER proving they can't manage their benefits by spending on unnecessary items like previously mentioned high end TV then go find another way to fund their lifestyle.

One reason why I'm interested in the garanteed minimum income systems they are trialing in some places. Providing it's set up at a sensible rate, that's what everybody gets, your income is topped up to that level or if you have no income, that's what you're given. Nobody gets less than that. No sanctions, no exceptions but equally, no excuses.

Any further state aid after that could legitimately be in the form of the bare minimum essential things people failed to sort out for themselves because we can't have people starving on the streets. Effectively a dinner hall and a bed in a dorm.

One thing I think we should do is to give people who clearly can't manage to budget the same amount but as much smaller, more frequent payments. Not a monthly lump sum. Even down to daily in extreme cases. No reason we can't in the computer era. If you want a big ticket item, you need to learn to save but equally, if you immediately spend anything you're given, there's more tomorrow.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 152 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 27 of 28