Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How would you vote in a general election tomorrow?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Which party gets your vote?
Labour
15%
 15%  [ 17 ]
Conservatives
32%
 32%  [ 36 ]
Liberal Democrats
13%
 13%  [ 15 ]
Brexit Party
27%
 27%  [ 31 ]
SNP
5%
 5%  [ 6 ]
Green
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Change
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Plaid Cymru
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
DUP
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Independent
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 111

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:10 - 09 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH I'm so sick of the whole thing I almost wish the Lesbian Democrats would win: cancel Brexit, move on. Unfortunately they're all completely bonkers and the country would subsequently be wrecked in different and more hideous ways.

TBP? Personally I predict them getting around 15 ~ 25% of the national vote. And that will probably translate into... drum roll... close to fuck all Sad

Tories wins a majority? We're fucked
Labour wins a majority? We're really fucked
Lesbian Dems... you guessed it: fucked up beyond all recognition Sad

At this point the best we can hope for is a hung parliament with an added dash of political stasis where the UK stumbles into No Deal Brexit purely down to luck.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:36 - 09 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

So...... politics causes divides. I wonder how many people on here would be good company and conversation, even if we argue like children on here?

I've had similar thoughts.

I wouldn't be surprised if I bumped into you someday (in Thailand of course Wink ), had a friendly chat over a beer, even about politics, and was none-the-wiser about how much we hate each other on the internet.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:30 - 09 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy X, you care too much and are showing its getting to you. That's mistake No. 1.

IMO you have to accept that this one time election is about if we are going to leave the EU and not about which party is going to fuck the country the most.

You can on the latter point be one of two ways:

1, Totally dismissive of all people in politics and how they are all against the man.

2, Pick a party that you think is the best or least case worst scenario.

Remember some people will always think you can spend your way out of trouble, fix society, poverty and everything that's not perfect in the UK with money. Others will argue that reckless spending will ruin and cripple what good things we have, and cause every problem to get massively worse.

While I too don't like or support the Lesbo dems, I do admire that they have a principal though and have clearly spelt out what they will do, no matter what anyone thinks or says.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 09 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
TBH I'm so sick of the whole thing I almost wish the Lesbian Democrats would win: cancel Brexit, move on. Unfortunately they're all completely bonkers and the country would subsequently be wrecked in different and more hideous ways.

TBP? Personally I predict them getting around 15 ~ 25% of the national vote. And that will probably translate into... drum roll... close to fuck all Sad

Tories wins a majority? We're fucked
Labour wins a majority? We're really fucked
Lesbian Dems... you guessed it: fucked up beyond all recognition Sad

At this point the best we can hope for is a hung parliament with an added dash of political stasis where the UK stumbles into No Deal Brexit purely down to luck.

Don't wish too hard. Tories will get a decent majority this election, but its probably going to be their last. In 5 years time enough young people will have turned 18, and enough old people died that the only likely outcome will be Labour or Lib Dem. This will continue probably for decades. Hence why I'm so keen for us to get out with this agreement so at least when they get in the new status quo will be Britain outside the EU.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:21 - 09 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Hence why I'm so keen for us to get out with this agreement so at least when they get in the new status quo will be Britain outside the EU.

I'd ask you the same question that apparently drove Reijufixing to madness: what's to rein the EU in when they get too big for their boots - which they most definitely are? Please don't say "good faith"!

And not that our current crop of politicians would make any effort to thwart them in any way, nor our civil servants for that matter.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 09 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Don't wish too hard. Tories will get a decent majority this election, but its probably going to be their last. In 5 years time enough young people will have turned 18, and enough old people died that the only likely outcome will be Labour or Lib Dem. This will continue probably for decades. Hence why I'm so keen for us to get out with this agreement so at least when they get in the new status quo will be Britain outside the EU.

This myth is often trotted out by the remain side. It's got a serious flaw in it though.

Most people of student age tend to be left wing. As they grow up and start working for a living and pay taxes, many switch from left to right. A lot the remain lefty snowflakes, will mature into right wing leave voters as they grow out of right on student politics.

Like many of my generation, I voted for Blair when I was young and naive. I soon realised the mistake when I started earning enough to have to pay the growing taxes being forced on me.

In the past that was absolutely true which is why we have a Conservative government instead of a Green party government. But this transition is no longer happening and so the past is no longer a predictor of the future. As a result of high debt levels particularly due to tuition fees, very high house prices and rents, stagnating wage levels and stagnating growth since 2008, and the high cost of living younger people now are not following that same path. The left are offering policies that address the concerns of younger voters, the Tories are doing very little and instead are focusing on older voters. My issue is that the Conservatives simply aren't doing enough to try to get these votes. People are not going to start vote Conservative unless it is in their interests, and the Tories actually have something to offer.

chickenstrip wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Hence why I'm so keen for us to get out with this agreement so at least when they get in the new status quo will be Britain outside the EU.

I'd ask you the same question that apparently drove Reijufixing to madness: what's to rein the EU in when they get too big for their boots - which they most definitely are? Please don't say "good faith"!

And not that our current crop of politicians would make any effort to thwart them in any way, nor our civil servants for that matter.

You aware that I voted leave aren't you? Laughing

But to answer your question I would say probably the fact that the EU is on the verge of imploding every 2 years when one of member states goes bankrupt or the Nazis take over like they did in Greece, of the French riot, or the Germans get fed up of paying all the bills, or when they all get jealous because Bexit Britain is outperforming those who remained, of they run out of money to print to buy their own debt or many other things actually.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:00 - 09 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
when they all get jealous because Brexit Britain is outperforming those who remained

The treaty has been carefully crafted by the EU to not allow that to happen though. See "level playing field" clause among others.

I'm more sanguine about it all than I was, as I do think the EU will not survive without drastic change. Unfortunately, a lot of damage can be done on the current trajectory before that change comes about, but I care less about this country now than I did at the beginning of all this, as I have come to the conclusion that the British people will get what they deserve, and deserve what they get, and none of it is likely to have much effect on me, living on the poverty line with failing health as I already very nearly am.

And on the subject of that "level playing field"; does this mean that when the EU is in economic trouble by their own hand, we have to ensure that we still stay at their level? In politics and economics, the level upon which we play won't be static. This is one of the major flaws in the Remain argument - they seem to think nothing will change, ever.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:16 - 10 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:
when they all get jealous because Brexit Britain is outperforming those who remained

The treaty has been carefully crafted by the EU to not allow that to happen though. See "level playing field" clause among others.

I'm more sanguine about it all than I was, as I do think the EU will not survive without drastic change. Unfortunately, a lot of damage can be done on the current trajectory before that change comes about, but I care less about this country now than I did at the beginning of all this, as I have come to the conclusion that the British people will get what they deserve, and deserve what they get, and none of it is likely to have much effect on me, living on the poverty line with failing health as I already very nearly am.

And on the subject of that "level playing field"; does this mean that when the EU is in economic trouble by their own hand, we have to ensure that we still stay at their level? In politics and economics, the level upon which we play won't be static. This is one of the major flaws in the Remain argument - they seem to think nothing will change, ever.

If you are hoping for a clean Brexit then you can forget it, it's just not going to happen. It's a bit like us debating what you will do with your private tropical island, sure it's a nice idea, but its never going to happen. You have basically two choices: leave with Boris agreement or don't leave at all. By all means vote for the "no deal" party but just be aware that they wil definitely not be winning, and their policy will definitely not come about. Even in MPDs dream scenario where Farage, Tice and a couple others got elected they would be so irrelevant in the grand scheme that the government would not go "no deal" just to please them as the number of "pro-deal" Tories is about half the party! the path of least resistance would always be to get Labour votes or call yet another election. To be crystal clear, I am not anti-clean Brexit/No-deal, but it's not an available option.

mpd72 wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:

In the past that was absolutely true which is why we have a Conservative government instead of a Green party government. But this transition is no longer happening and so the past is no longer a predictor of the future.

Anything to backup this complete guess work? What are you basing the idea on, that all students will remain left wing as they grow old?

The latest opinion polls are a disaster for Labour, the main left wing party. What polls are you basing your assumption on?

I suspect the gobby nature of lefties, coupled with the fact that the media and education are riddled with them now, distorts the actual number following this Momentum style left wing ideology.

Me: In the next election
You: Current opinion polls

Laughing

I've already explained the process throuigh which it occurs twice. Tories are not making themselves attractive to younger voters. My assumption is based on the concerns of Tory leadership, and there's plenty of info about! Let's take a look...

Robert Colvile Young voters won’t buy into the Conservative Party if they can’t buy houses
Prospective young buyers unable to get on the housing ladder represent one of the gravest long-term threats to the Tories
"At this month’s election, according to pollsters YouGov, 53 per cent of homeowners voted Tory and 32 per cent Labour. Among renters, it was precisely the reverse: 51 per cent for Labour, 31 per cent for the Tories."
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3855474/young-voters-wont-buy-into-the-conservative-party-if-they-cant-buy-houses/

Inside the Tory effort to win back the young: 'We’re not even allowed to use the word cool now'
Tory chiefs know there is a crisis in their party's relationship with young Britons, but do they have the will to fix it?
"Senior Tories admit Labour’s narrative is attractive – one in which young people have lost out to the capitalists and corporations, in which only the state is powerful enough to ensure they have the life chances their parents had. One told The Independent: “We know [Corbyn] can’t pay for it, but neither can we. He can promise the world from opposition, but in terms of spending we can only offer bare bones. “We cannot win a bidding war with him to buy the youth vote, and we shouldn’t try to get into one.” Electoral strategists always say winning over voters is about making them think your values are their values, and that’s where the Tories want to take the fight."
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tories-young-vote-theresa-may-inside-party-effort-win-millenial-voters-youth-strategy-a7981631.html

Absence of young people rattles Conservatives
Party obsesses over youth vote as average age of members rises to 72

Please use the sharing tools found via the share button at the top or side of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of FT.com T&Cs and Copyright Policy. Email licensing@ft.com to buy additional rights. Subscribers may share up to 10 or 20 articles per month using the gift article service. More information can be found at https://www.ft.com/tour.
https://www.ft.com/content/b97e04d8-a854-11e7-ab55-27219df83c97

Support for the Conservatives is just 27 per cent among those aged 18-34, and 33 per cent among those aged 35-44, according to Ipsos Mori, the lowest approval levels on record.

Speakers at fringe events dwelt on the contrast between the near absence of young people at the conference and the tens of thousands of enthusiastic Labour supporters at the opposition party’s conference last week in Brighton.

The Conservatives once prided themselves on their youth wing, but there are fears that young people who are struggling to climb on to the property ladder or amass any savings will be unable to identify with the party’s centre-right values
“We now face a major task in reconnecting both Conservatism and our belief in free markets to an entire generation under 45 — a generation who have been hit by a perfect storm of post-crash economics, tuition fees, debt, house unaffordability and an out-of-control private rented market,” Mr Freeman said
https://www.ft.com/content/b97e04d8-a854-11e7-ab55-27219df83c97

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:46 - 10 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Me: In the next election
You: Current opinion polls

Eh? You're using a future prediction as factual proof of your theory? I asked for proof that the current group of left wing student snowflakes won't grow out of student politics like every other generation has in the past. You come back with "in the next election", as in not yet happened?

Go on, I'm intrigued. Can I have the lottery numbers too, whilst you're out in the Delorean, Marty? Laughing

What makes you think the Tories are solely responsible for the housing shortage and rising prices? House prices doubled in 5 years under Blair as he flooded the UK with future Labour voters.

My town is being destroyed by the Tory government with over development. They can't build 1 or 2 bedroom flats fast enough, to house the scum no longer wanted in London, so are shipped out to Kent to make room for the next wave of uncontrolled immigration.

It's more the case, that the current generation of self centred snowflakes, have a serious case of a false sense of entitlement and all think they should be on a 6 figure salary for studying "media studies", whilst work dodging well into their mid '20's, so are looking for someone to blame for their own inaction and false hopes.

Me and the conservative party say so. You, not even voting for the conservatives, says different. Yeah I've proved my case perfectly, all you've done is say "show me the evidence".

MPDs plan to get young people to vote Tory: Hurl personal abuse at them, yeah, that'll work. Tell them they are all a bunch of useless snowflakes. There's still time to register as a candidate, you can try your strategy out on the doorsteps with younger voters. Go stand in your town centre giving out leaflets and telling people they're all a bunch of useless halfwits Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:10 - 10 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

If you are hoping for a clean Brexit then you can forget it, it's just not going to happen.

I think you are probably right, but I can't vote for what I don't believe in.

I see Marine LePen has made gains on Macron (slightly higher poll ratings now?). Not decisively, but could be the same trend as happened with Salvini in Italy. Next year I understand the French have a national election. We'll see. Clearly nationalism is still on the rise. Question is, what will the EU try to do about it?
Merkel continues to puzzle me by talking about the importance of democracy whilst still supporting the EU. To me, this is just Confused

What on earth is the EU Commission actually for?

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:37 - 10 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's people MPD's age who sponge of the state, not younger people.

Old people get:
+ Free education
+ Free bus pass
+ Free salary (pension)
+ Free TV licence
+ Heating get paid for
+ Free healthcare, and they use it A LOT
+ Free prescriptions
+ Get to buy a house cheap and prevent others doing the same

Younger people get:
- Pay for their own education (-£9250)
- Pay for their own bus pass, or more likely just walk
- Pay for their own TV licence. Just kidding half of them couldn't afford a TV
- Pay for their own heating
- Get told to "man up" if they have a medical problem
- Pay for their own prescriptions
- Work for middle aged people, get paid crap for doing so while their boss profits
- Buy housing at inflated prices from old people to fund MPDs self entitiled lifestyle
- Get to pay off all the debts MPD's generation left because he couldn't be bothered to pay his own bills
- Awful workplace pension terms and increased contributions to make up the shortfall to fund MPDs self entitiled lifestyle

and in my specific case also:
- Listen to middle aged upper middle class remainers whine on about how jetting all over Europe makes them oh so diverse and that's why they voted to remain in a federal dictatorship like the entitled smug cuckold tw4t they are Laughing

He's got a right cheek calling others lazy snowflakes.

Wait wait I know, he's going to tell me I studied feminism at uni isn't he? Rolling Eyes ! Nope, masters in engineering Laughing

The best bit is when Jez gets in MPD will moan and complain and say it's all someone else's fault. No sense of personal responsibility Wink It wasn't like this when I were a lad, we lived in shoebox and licked road clean every morning five minutes before we went to bed Mr. Green Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:47 - 10 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, here we go; the blame game Rolling Eyes

The only people I'll be blaming for messing things up will be the politicians, from whatever side of the argument they might be on.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:59 - 11 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
stevo as b4 wrote:

Conservative Brexit sucks but I don't think it's written into law that if transition negotiations fail which they will, that we can't come out WTO when it breaks down.

I'm not too sure about that. Forget the "Withdrawal Agreement", the problem is the Political Declaration which the EU have attached to it. I believe this is legally binding.

It's this Political Declaration that hides all the shitty stuff, like even after us "leaving", they still have access to our waters, we are still bound to their close ties for rules and regulation and have added the "level playing field" clause, which basically makes Brexit worthless as we can't agree a deal with a RoW country on better terms than the EU has, which for most top economies is feck all and WTO.

Fortunately it isn't.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:27 - 11 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Farage has backed down and now won't stand candidates against Tory seats.

Booo... I was looking forward to voting out Damian Green. He's incredibly unpopular now in my town and should have got a right kicking at the ballot box.

He had no choice. With the remain parties all collaborating it was that or let Jeremy in the back door.

cdlxxvi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:27 - 11 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Booo... I was looking forward to voting out Damian Green. He's incredibly unpopular now in my town and should have got a right kicking at the ballot box.

For whom will my lord vote now?

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 11 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farage has been under huge pressure. He can't risk being seen as a Brexit blocker and have all of his supporters turn against him. Still I think the Tories should stand down in some of his seats, either officially or unofficially.

cdlxxvi wrote:
mpd72 wrote:

For whom will my lord vote now?

UKIP might still stand in his seat.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 11 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Has he, or couldn't he find 632 'clean' candidates at such short notice?

What this means is that we will almost certainly end up with a Tory Government. Farage justifies his decision by saying that he trusts Johnson to deliver a 'super Canada plus' free trade agreement with the EU. Surely he isn't so naive to think that BoJo has the EU in his pocket and that it will give us whatever agreement we want!!!!

This dramatically reduces the number of potential seats for TBP because it will only be contesting those that the Tories lost in the last election, therefore those with an historic leaning towards Labour and the LibDems. I will be genuinely surprised therefore if TBP get more than a handful of MPs as a result, and this isn't the end of Farage as a politician.

If I was one of those who thought I was voting for a 'hard Brexit' rather than a deal, I'd be feeling shafted right now as my only alternative is UKIP.

MDMA, as somebody in this position, where will your hard Brexit vote go now?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 139 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 19 of 28