Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How would you vote in a general election tomorrow?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28
View previous topic : View next topic  

Which party gets your vote?
Labour
15%
 15%  [ 17 ]
Conservatives
32%
 32%  [ 36 ]
Liberal Democrats
13%
 13%  [ 15 ]
Brexit Party
27%
 27%  [ 31 ]
SNP
5%
 5%  [ 6 ]
Green
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Change
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Plaid Cymru
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
DUP
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Independent
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 111

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:50 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

That's pretty much heading towards Communism isn't it?

Not really. Garaunteed minimum income. Not "Everyone gets the same income". You earn more than that, fine, you earn less than that, it gets topped-up.

Kind of like the dole was back in the 60's.

It turns out that while there are a few piss-takers who will take the excuse to sit and be paid for doing nothing, there will always be a few piss-takers and this system doesn't seem to make more of them.

The main thing is it's very easy to administer. It cuts out layers and layers of beaurocracy.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:17 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I said nothing about the vote and I'm talking about benefit claimants.

which fall below your imagined threshold of worthiness to have the vote and be allowed to use the same currency as everyone else?

If you have a person that is incapable of running their life, you have a carer for them or you have them put in a situation where others can look after them. No one says this is demeaning. However if you have someone who patently can't manage the money they get from the state to live on, it's perceived as demeaning to put in place a system which will make sure they have food on the table and a roof over their head without just throwing more (of someone else's) money at them.

As far as the threshold, once they have proved they can't look after themselves with their benefit money and are coming back for extra bailouts then that should be the cut off point. The benefits system is a safety net. Nothing more. If they have too much pride to take food stamps AFTER proving they can't manage their benefits by spending on unnecessary items like previously mentioned high end TV then go find another way to fund their lifestyle.

Sorry I was forgetting that as a tax payer your automatically an expert on social service support for people.

However contrary to what the self appointed experts by way of being tax payers believe, supporting people who get into difficulties is not done by simply taking away their autonomy and doing things for them. Supporting people to become independant and responsible is and has been for decades the proper approach. The problem is the resources going towards such interventions is less and less available.
Polarbear wrote:

\oh, and they shouldn't be allowed to vote or procreate but that's another issue. Wink

Where do we stop in terms of tajing tbe vote away from people? Im sure from some people above you in society would deride the idea you should have a vote.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:26 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Universal income is a terrible idea. It would just reenforce the phenomenon of a child like dependant class of people who would never learn and properly develop adult personalities. Its a recipe for a personality disordered society and all the xhaos that brings. We would be better to simply subsidise jobs. Work gives people more than just an income it gives self estime and developes society.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:49 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Kind of like the dole was back in the 60's.

When there was pretty much 100% job availabilty for those who wished to work, which really is what most people do want. Beinf inactive is unnatural for humans but we're in real danger of an automatically inactive society. Its a bad thing.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:52 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Okay, serious question now: why is the vote of some numpty with a sub-70s IQ and velcro on his trainers just as valuable as anyone else's?

Clearly the value of said numpty is low with regards other metrics e.g. work and pay. Or, if you want to dispense with capitalism, of low utility compared to someone capable of training as a doctor or engineer. But when it comes to political opinion he has been bestowed rights Evil or Very Mad

Personally I don't think you should be entitled to a vote until you've proved you have the responsibility and enough investment in society to have any say in how it is run (i.e. a meritocracy.)

Failing that, how about some sort of weighted proportional representation:

No job? You get a vote.
Job but claim benefits too? You get a vote + a 2nd preference vote
Job and not a burden to society? You get a vote + 2nd and 3rd preference... etc.

Don't ask me for an detail but the outcome should be less weight for those who are gratified by the mark on the voting paper coincidentally matching their own signature Laughing

Look up Thechnocrat movement on Wikipedia.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:46 - 05 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50672611

Quote:
Three Members of the European Parliament have resigned from the Brexit Party to support Boris Johnson's deal with the EU.

Annunziata Rees-Mogg - sister of Commons Leader Jacob Rees-Mogg - Lance Forman and Lucy Harris are all now backing the Conservatives.

They say voting for Mr Johnson's party at the general election is the way "to ensure Brexit gets delivered".

Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage said he was "disappointed".

Based on the performance of the Euro Parliament Elections I admit I thought the TBP might shake things up a bit. No longer Sad

The worst aspect of a Tory landslide (or even a simple majority) will be 5 years of Boris looking very smug Evil or Very Mad

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:07 - 05 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
mpd72 wrote:

That's pretty much heading towards Communism isn't it?

Not really. Garaunteed minimum income. Not "Everyone gets the same income". You earn more than that, fine, you earn less than that, it gets topped-up.

Who would do the shit jobs if it meant all that happens is you are working for nothing because anything you earn will just get deducted from your basic allowance?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:46 - 05 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Who would do the shit jobs if it meant all that happens is you are working for nothing because anything you earn will just get deducted from your basic allowance?

It turns out, this isn't a problem because most people have self-respect. Dossers will always be dossers, normal people are prepared to work for a living.

See how the trials come out.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 137 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28
Page 28 of 28