Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New bike, S1000R

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures
View previous topic : View next topic  

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 28 Sep 2019    Post subject: New bike, S1000R Reply with quote

I sold my Brutale and bought an S1000R Sport with 2.6k miles.

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/s1000r.jpg

The Brutale had gotten up to 14k miles (I bought at 7k) and I wouldn't have ridden it at all over winter, putting another year on it, and I fancied trying something with more power.

Funnily enough, the s1kr feels slower than the Brutale in some ways, and faster in others. Brutale gets to peak acceleration faster and has a more responsive throttle; the first few times I rode it I kept accidentally lifting the front launching from traffic lights. The s1kr, OTOH, is smoother at increasing torque, and power-wheelies as it reaches higher revs instead.

I can fully use the brakes again. I got a bit scared on the Brutale after lifting the rear a few times. Very similar brakes, but with ABS I can push them close to their limit without thinking.

Other big difference is gears; I basically don't get out of 2nd on this bike, whereas I got up to 3rd occasionally on the Brutale.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:10 - 30 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong with the rest of the gears? Have they been removed or something? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 30 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
What's wrong with the rest of the gears? Have they been removed or something? Laughing

It's still good for 120mph or so in second, doesn't seem to be much incentive to shift up? Smile

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:39 - 30 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:
stevo as b4 wrote:

It's still good for 120mph or so in second, doesn't seem to be much incentive to shift up? Smile

What about when you get beyond the school zone?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:43 - 01 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, I thought you were going to say you only ride in 20/30mph zones or something. Still if I had a 1000cc naked bike it'd need to be bloody useful (lazy) for me to justify it, and I'd want to know it'd be good at top gear/low speeds or I couldn't see the point.

My bike needs all 6 gears to get me to 75mph and that's why it's fun to ride. I'd have no use for a bike that does 120mph in 2nd gear where I ride.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:07 - 01 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I see, I thought you were going to say you only ride in 20/30mph zones or something. Still if I had a 1000cc naked bike it'd need to be bloody useful (lazy) for me to justify it, and I'd want to know it'd be good at top gear/low speeds or I couldn't see the point.

Oh it has poke in all the gears, it just has more wheel torque lower down. Riding through London - and this isn't a bike I'll regularly ride in London - means going from dense traffic, through to a gap in traffic caused by lights, through next bit of traffic, etc. I accelerate when the road is clear and slow down when the traffic gets more dense again. And when I ride the straighter bits, I like to have full acceleration after I pull out to overtake. It's how the Brutale encouraged me to ride and that hasn't faded yet.

Quote:
My bike needs all 6 gears to get me to 75mph and that's why it's fun to ride. I'd have no use for a bike that does 120mph in 2nd gear where I ride.

Honestly, the bike has more power than is useful on the road. I intend to stick it on a trailer and take it somewhere on the continent next year, and see what it's like crossing mountains, without putting the mileage of crossing France on it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 180 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1