Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Throretical question : roundabouts

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:14 - 21 Oct 2019    Post subject: Throretical question : roundabouts Reply with quote

Morning all,

This one came to me the other day when I had to slam on to avoid an idiot.

Imagine a mini roundabout where one of the exits is a one way only (leaving the roundabout)

And this exit is on my right as Im approaching said roundabout.

If I were to continue - assuming no one was coming the wrong way down the one way street and therefore failed to give way to the right and ended up in a collision...

Whose fault is it in the eyes of the law?

1) 50/50
2) His fault for ignoring the no entry signs
3) My fault for not giving way to the right

Thoughts?
Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:32 - 21 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paint diagram is required. Wink

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:43 - 21 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish granted

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:53 - 21 Oct 2019    Post subject: Re: Throretical question : roundabouts Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Imagine a mini roundabout where one of the exits is a one way only (leaving the roundabout)

If I were to continue - assuming no one was coming the wrong way down the one way street and therefore failed to give way to the right and ended up in a collision...

In your description, who are you colliding with?

In your diagram, you've crashed into a vehicle that was already on the roundabout.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:57 - 21 Oct 2019    Post subject: Re: Throretical question : roundabouts Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Morning all,

This one came to me the other day when I had to slam on to avoid an idiot.

1) 50/50

Thoughts?
Thumbs Up

Probably 1 or 3, and not 2.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:01 - 21 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two cars are colliding together. Thats as much theoretical info I have sorry.

Idiot car has come through a no entry and entered the roundabout from a direction that no one should be coming from.

Driver entering the roundabout correctly - sees nothing coming from straight on and continues.

Both cars collide as the "correct" driver has not checked right for traffic coming the wrong way from a one way.

My thoughts are that it would probably end up being a 50/50, but wondered what others thoughts are?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:11 - 21 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
The two cars are colliding together. Thats as much theoretical info I have sorry.

The description does not match the diagram. Laughing In the description there is only your vehicle.

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Idiot car has come through a no entry and entered the roundabout from a direction that no one should be coming from.

How or why they came to be travelling the wrong way down a one way street is besides the point.

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Driver entering the roundabout correctly - sees nothing coming from straight on and continues.

Ummmmm, if there's a vehicle already on the roundabout to your right then you're not meant to join the roundabout.

IMO it's 100% the fault of the person who crashes into the vehicle that's already on the roundabout. It doesn't matter where the traffic coming from your right originated from, it's coming from your right therefore you're meant to give way to it.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 21 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

pedantic Ste again eh?

Assume just before the "collision" there is no one on the roundabout.

Car a (me) is driving at 18.754 mph
Car b (idiot) is driving at 27.534 mph

Both cars cross the white line at the exact same time

So there is never a point in the timeline where there is "already a car on the roundabout".

Technically if anything - assume that the car coming from the no entry hits the side of car a.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 21 Oct 2019    Post subject: Re: Throretical question : roundabouts Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

1) 50/50

I would say it's got to be (3), surely - once the other car is on the roundabout it's immaterial where he came from, he has the right of way (you'd still have had to give way to vehicles legally entering the roundabout at 12:00 - or indeed 9:00 and doing a U-turn). If police were involved then the idiot would also be done for driving without due care.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 21 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its theoretical gents. Lets keep it light.

Im fully aware good obs are needed - and the reason this is a theoretical "lets discuss" - rather than another entry in the crash thread is precisely because I did see him coming through a no entry and waited.

Purely after thoughts on whose legally in the wrong if someone didnt give good obs and actually got hit by him.

Thumbs Up

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 21 Oct 2019    Post subject: Re: Throretical question : roundabouts Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

1) 50/50

I would say it's got to be (3), surely - once the other car is on the roundabout it's immaterial where he came from, he has the right of way (you'd still have had to give way to vehicles legally entering the roundabout at 12:00 - or indeed 9:00 and doing a U-turn). If police were involved then the idiot would also be done for driving without due care.

Yes, but the vehicles at 0900 have to give way to my entry first, and the road ahead is long and clear with no side roads or blocked visibility.

I would hazard a guess that most car drivers that dont also ride - would just sail actross without checking right.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:24 - 21 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
pedantic Ste again eh?

Assume just before the "collision" there is no one on the roundabout.

Car a (me) is driving at 18.754 mph
Car b (idiot) is driving at 27.534 mph

Both cars cross the white line at the exact same time

So there is never a point in the timeline where there is "already a car on the roundabout".

Technically if anything - assume that the car coming from the no entry hits the side of car a.

"If I were to continue - assuming no one was coming the wrong way down the one way street and therefore failed to give way to the right and ended up in a collision..."

Errrrm, there is no car b in that description. Anyway, let's go with the diagram instead. Laughing

If both cars cross the white lines at the exact same time then car a is meant to give way to their right. Maybe the one way road is blocked and cars are having to turn around, who knows. But how or why car b came to be travelling the wrong way down a one way street is besides the point because car a is still meant to give way to their right.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 21 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool.

Thanks.

So the second theoretical question. Where do you stand if car (a) enters the roundabout first (if only by a second or 2)?

I assume thats then car bs fault?

"Give way to traffic already on the roundabout"

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:18 - 21 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theoretically, paint and signs can be disobeyed by all, never trust a road sign vs a cunt in a car.

Car 'shouldn't' have gone. Car probably should get points/fine... I can't find a direct one, but TS70 seems right.

Depends really, one-way wrong way driver could just lie and say he came round the roundabout unless you had camera evidence it'll be closer to 50/50 or your fault. banter train commences.

I still think the UK are retarded with mini roundabouts and they should be scrapped and we operate a US style 'one way has direct priority and the first person to arrive at the give way gets to go first when route is clear.'

That is smart. Instead we paint circles on the floor. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:24 - 21 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah - Completely agree that without dashcam its trousers down time Smile

I wouldnt want to be having that conversation (as him) with his insurance company though.

"So you went through a clearly labelled no entry sign and hit another vehicle... And you think its someone else fault?"

Laughing

On a more serious note, the reason for the post is because of what ive explained earlier, this exact situation appeared in front of me and obviously from riding a bike - I saw it and waited. I have no doubt at all that the majority of car drivers would have just sailed across and had a crash though.

Moral of the story is as Mpd puts it, always check and done rely on any kind of lights / signs.

idiots always be idiots.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 21 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

I still think the UK are retarded with mini roundabouts and they should be scrapped and we operate a US style 'one way has direct priority and the first person to arrive at the give way gets to go first when route is clear.'

That is smart. Instead we paint circles on the floor. Laughing

I agree regarding mini roundabouts, I think the percentage of people that use them "correctly" I.e. as if they were a real roundabout is a tiny amount. most people just run over them and "cut the corner".

I much prefer our normal sized roundabouts to the american equivalent stop signs though.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 21 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

The thing is though, you should still look. To hit it, you clearly wouldn't have looked to your right, which is where you should be giving way to.

To hit you, they would have been on the roundabout before you, so at the moment of impact would have right of way, no matter how they entered it.

Well, no - youre not entirely correct there.

Taking into account the speed differential I mentioned earlier to Ste, its entirely possible for me to enter the roundabout with no one at the junction to the right.

That also explains how they could have hit me after I entered the roundabout.

Not everyone drives at the same speed.

edit:

Its interesting because it leads on to how people percieve "give way to the right".

I always consider people approaching the roundabout (not necessarily on it yet) as vehicles I should give way to.

Not many others follow that mantra and will quite happily pull out on a moving car if they themselves were sat there static, just because technically the oncoming car was a few seconds away from crossing the white line.

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:49 - 21 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only give way if there isn't enough time from doing a burnout to reach a point that doesn't block their path Laughing

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 21 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynax wrote:
I only give way if there isn't enough time from doing a burnout to reach a point that doesn't block their path Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

#TheCorrectWayToGiveWay

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 21 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - yes, obviously.

I could also assume the front door was open and walk straight into it without checking.

Whats your point? Rolling Eyes

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:37 - 21 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one for you: mini-roundabout with with three roads @ 120 degrees. Three vehicles, one at each entrance to the roundabout, arrive at the same time. Who has right of way?

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:41 - 21 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Here's one for you: mini-roundabout with with three roads @ 120 degrees. Three vehicles, one at each entrance to the roundabout, arrive at the same time. Who has right of way?

Burnout. Smile

But personally, Id say whoever starts moving first Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 191 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2