Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The I fell because excuse..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:03 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came off my first bike (a Simson 50) because my intentions trumped my abilities. I also did the same on bikes two, three, four, five....
I’m seeing a trend here!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:05 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

suburban myth wrote:
I read a stat once, more than half of road incidents occur within the first 5 minutes of the journey in question. How many of these are down to people still being half asleep, or pissed off because they just left work?

That's not a suburban myth exactly - but it's kind of half true. I think what you're referring to is the once oft-quoted "statistic" that most accidents happen within five miles (or yes, perhaps five minutes) of home. But I think this is simply because most journeys are short journeys that don't go beyond that distance and so therefore if they're going to happen, they have to happen within that distance (or time).

Of course, this doesn't rule out the possibility that it's because they're half asleep or pissed off. Still - it does need to be contextualised within the anomalies and limitations of statistical calculations.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:10 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
it does need to be contextualised within the anomalies and limitations of statistical calculations.

Ok professor Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:32 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are lies, damned lies, and then there's me talking absolute bollocks

Mr. Green

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:58 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fell off while still in my shed because when I tried to put my foot down, my waterproof trousers got hooked on the foot peg and I couldn't stop it going over. Embarassed

In France I fell off (having not quite stopped) because just round a sharp bend there were hundreds of onions on the road.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:09 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've fallen off cos

My visor wiper had a hypnosis inducing arc wipe.
( and interior fogging of course)

People were looking at me funny which put me off.

The road didn't go where it should have.

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:00 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dropped my old DT250 because somebody forgot to take the steering lock off!

Last edited by almostthere on 19:01 - 09 Oct 2019; edited 1 time in total

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:00 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My family swear I fell of my Mobylette 50v because I was riding around in crazy circles showing off how low I could make it go with counter-lean (the final conclusion being horizontally low). They didn't see the neighbour pull out of their garage just in front of me though without looking, I had no choice but to lay the hog down...
Mobylette was undamaged I cushioned it with legs.

I have felt alarming loss of traction a few times on the Bandit, and fishtailed a 125 a couple of times, the more alarming closes calls were my own fault though. Any slight losses of traction was me reacting correctly to something potentially slippy where it couldn't be completely avoided.

Shit happens though my neighbours son in law arrived at a roundabout shortly after a lorry that had been carrying used cooking oil, a container had fallen over and was dumping on the road, was a rainy day and I doubt there was much to be done. Was quite badly hurt but got a good result with the insurance as the road had to be cleared up and the police stopped the lorry further on.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:16 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a school of thought that states the first time it happens, it is an explanation. The second time it happens, it's an excuse.

So my first ever highside was caused by an abrupt loss of traction due to hitting badly laid overbanding while under power and high cornering forces. That is the explanation.

If I do it again, it would be an excuse for me not spotting the badly laid overbanding.

Oh, and regarding diesel. It is slippery as hell. I once came upon what I can only describe as a diesel slick while riding through York. A telescopic crane had ruptured its fuel tank going over a speedbump. I gingerly coasted to a halt and put the stand down. Got off the bike and set off to walk up the road to see the extent of it. I promptly fell on my arse. Twice. The second time as I was trying to get up. I rode on the pavement.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:09 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
I fell off while still in my shed because when I tried to put my foot down, my waterproof trousers got hooked on the foot peg and I couldn't stop it going over. Embarassed

I dropped my XJ the same way - road had a heavy camber, I pulled up at an angle to the kerb, went to put my foot down but found my lace had wrapped around the gear lever. Never worn laces on a bike since.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:19 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:

I had this happen to me when I went to get off the bike at a petrol station, but I didn't drop the bike. Instead my leg was caught against the exhaust, and I got a nasty burn, which has left a scar as a permanent reminder.

Quote:
In France I fell off (having not quite stopped) because just round a sharp bend there were hundreds of onions on the road.

There just has to be a joke in here somewhere, but it ain't coming to me Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:30 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small boy kicked a football under my front wheel.

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:38 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
doggone wrote:

I had this happen to me when I went to get off the bike at a petrol station, but I didn't drop the bike. Instead my leg was caught against the exhaust, and I got a nasty burn, which has left a scar as a permanent reminder.

Quote:

There just has to be a joke in here somewhere, but it ain't coming to me Laughing

Don't ask, it will only bring tears to your eyes Laughing

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once ( technically twice)

One because released the clutch whilst holding the front brake.
Two because whilst pushing the bike around i knocked the side stand just far enough back for it to fold under the bike when i let go. Technically doesn't count as i wasn't on the bike at the time.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:46 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynax wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Don't ask, it will only bring tears to your eyes Laughing

A valiant attempt!

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:35 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wipe out on the onions...
The Grim Reaper: "It's over mate, that's shallot!'

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 09 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some interesting moments while riding enthusiastically in the 70s due to shite Bridgestone and Yokohama tyres. Then I discovered TT100s.

I've had one off that was definitely down to diesel and that was in the 80s in the City of London. I know it was diesel because it stank of diesel.

I dropped my R100RT in the 80s because I forgot the steering lock was on - in front of a group of couriers in Mayfair. I pulled away, rode a slow graceful arc and toppled over. Laughing

In short, I reckon it's usually down to rider error rather than conditions.

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 05:08 - 10 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triton Thrasher wrote:

On a similar vein, I used to like to run over cans and bottles in the road. Until I got the shock of my life from a full can of coke.

eifion
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:58 - 11 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dropped the SV once having given it a wash on the drive on a paddock stand. Gave the side stand a squirt of GT85 and wiggled it up and down. Left it up, took the bike off the paddock stand, lowered it onto its side where the side stand should have been and it just kept on going. New mirror, clutch and gear lever needed.

Dropped the dullville twice. Once pulling out of a junction, leaning over I stalled it, no drive to the rear wheel so down it went. Second time coming to a stop at a t junction, left foot went down further than expected due to a pothole and with the weight of the bike + pillion all I could do was put it down as slow as I could. No damage either time except the £15 sacrificial black triangle body panel. Why more bikes don't have that I don't know.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:36 - 14 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

suburban myth wrote:
Triton Thrasher wrote:

On a similar vein, I used to like to run over cans and bottles in the road. Until I got the shock of my life from a full can of coke.

My friend unintentionally ran over a full bottle of milk, I thought it was hilarious but he didn't like it when he stopped and his bike&trousers were full of it and smelling rotten Laughing

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:01 - 14 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I laid it down to avoid a collision".
Because obviously bikes will stop better when sliding on random bits of metal, rather than using rubber which has been designed specifically to grip the road surface.

stinkwheel wrote:
I came off my bike numerous times because of Barum tyres.

It took me a while to realise this was something under my control at which point I changed them.

The first time I crashed on the Maxxis I put it down to my own stupidity, despite having done the exact same thing fine on other tyres.

The second time when I was braking fairly gently on broken shell grip, I realised it was the tyre that was the issue - or at least I need to significantly adjust my riding to account for it, as it didn't at all perform how you'd hope.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:25 - 14 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
The second time when I was braking fairly gently on broken shell grip, I realised it was the tyre that was the issue - or at least I need to significantly adjust my riding to account for it, as it didn't at all perform how you'd hope.

I have Maxxis Supermaxx Tours on my VFR, and I had Supermaxx diamond's on my Buell and they are/were both very grippy.

The diamonds seemed to wear quickly though...

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:44 - 14 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colour me sceptical - once twice bitten, twice shy etc.
I've gone on about these a good few times I know - they were road legal block pattern intermediate SM tyres.
Should be really good from cold. Were terrible. Like as bad Pilot Race's.
Maybe I just got a bad bath or something.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:02 - 14 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I've fallen off its because I was going too fast for my available talent.

Admittedly for my last one I've yet to meet anyone who has the talent to keep a quarter ton of bike up whilst it's doing an involuntary 180 degree pirouette on sheet ice.

Last edited by Nobby the Bastard on 21:36 - 14 Oct 2019; edited 1 time in total

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 21:25 - 14 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a member here who crashed a car claiming it suffered from lift off understeer. The translation of this was he went too fast into a corner and crashed.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 185 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3