Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Can't test ride

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:35 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Can't test ride Reply with quote

Hi all

Looking at a bike from a reputable dealer which has good reviews and friends have used no issues but enquired about a bike and apparently they cant insure to test ride as they are selling it for a customer- never heard of this? There was some legal name for it but i forget, does it sound normal?

Cheers

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:38 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Commission sales are fairly common.

And, in simple terms, it isn't their bike they just get a commission if they sell it.

But then whether you're happy to buy on those terms is another matter.

Personally, I no longer buy without a test ride (unless it's brand new and I've ridden the same model before).

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:05 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck to them selling the bike if they won't let anyone test ride it. Laughing

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 16 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not heard of this. I went to a warehouse once, they sold other people's bikes (and charged a fee for storage). They let me test ride with a £1000 excess if I dropped it. It even had a flat battery so they put a new one in so I could ride it.

I wouldn't buy it from a dealer if they don't allow test rides.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:49 - 16 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never test ridden a bike yet....

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:51 - 16 Oct 2019    Post subject: re Reply with quote

they said they couldn't insure it as they aren't the owner which makes sense I think? I duno Laughing the bike is still under warranty and has full main dealer service on it

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 16 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the bike is already insured and your policy covers you to ride other motorcycles then it is insured adequately in the eyes of the law at least (working on the assumption the "owner" has given permission, dealer might have to make a call to that effect). They still might want a big security bond.

I've not test ridden a bike yet, BUT I've not asked to either; if I did, I'd expect to be able to.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:50 - 16 Oct 2019    Post subject: re Reply with quote

for you guys who have bought bikes without test riding, just wondering why not? just don't feel the need?

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 16 Oct 2019    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
for you guys who have bought bikes without test riding, just wondering why not? just don't feel the need?

I had fairly good reasons; the first one I bought before I got my licence and the second was an insurance write off and wasn't roadworthy at the time of purchase. However, I spent quite a bit of time sitting on them, feeling the controls, reach, posture etc. to satisfy myself they fitted me.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:26 - 16 Oct 2019    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:

It'll be changed anyway after I get home... looks clean, job done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

blue_painted
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:39 - 16 Oct 2019    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:

I bought my ZX without because it was a "sale on commission" thing, and it was great.

I bought the BMW without because it was on eBay and I was stupid.

Loved the ZX, hated the BMW.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:19 - 16 Oct 2019    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:

Inspecting it to within an inch of its life and getting the dealer to start the bike has worked for me so far. Just research the start up procedure for the bike your going to look at any make sure there aren't any abnormalities when they do it in front of you -- for example on the CBF that would be a certain set of lights going out/staying on and no fault codes flashing.

As long as the most expensive parts are in good working order / not leaking then, for me, its just a case of weighing up how much work/money/parts need putting into it as to if I'd go for it or not.

If you're not very mechanically minded or hands on then yeah I'd probably test ride.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:51 - 16 Oct 2019    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:

Some I have, some I haven't.
With some that I have, a test ride wasn't really enough to know if I'd be able to live with the bike longer term. Nor does it guarantee the thing wouldn't self destruct the day after buying it. I'd say that generally it makes sense to take a prospective buy for a test ride, but it's not necessarily the be-all and end-all in deciding whether or not to buy for me. All I get from a test ride is, "well, that seems ok, not the worst thing I could buy", or, "nope, that's a complete pile of shit, don't want it". But I'd hope I have enough knowledge by now to be able to avoid even considering bikes like the latter in the first place.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 193 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1